Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1.    #1  
    It seems that Apple made Slingbox cripple the Slingplayer app for the iPhone so that it only works over wifi. AT&T were affraid that it would cripple their 3G network. HUGE score for Pre..Pro...Centro...and Sprint!


    AT&T: SlingPlayer for iPhone Would ‘Create Congestion’ for 3G | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
  2. #2  
    all the other palm phones, yes. Pre? not so much, they haven't even made an app for it and most likely won't anytime soon.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by despo88 View Post
    all the other palm phones, yes. Pre? not so much, they haven't even made an app for it and most likely won't anytime soon.
    But they do for the classic Palm Os....I wonder if that app will work on the emulator????????.....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by despo88 View Post
    all the other palm phones, yes. Pre? not so much, they haven't even made an app for it and most likely won't anytime soon.
    Good point! I forgot that.
  5. #5  
    At the very least it makes Sprint look better by comparison to AT&T
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    But they do for the classic Palm Os....I wonder if that app will work on the emulator????????.....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    Hmm - high-density graphics throughput with a pda processor running an emulator. It might make for a nice slideshow with intermittent sounds I suppose.

    Besides, AT&T, like sprint, already has plenty of other phones running Slingplayers on 3G. I guess the sheer number of iPhones on their network might dominate their already mediocre 3G network. Ironically, sprint doesn't have large numbers of any kind of phone threatening their networks bandwidth.
  7. #7  
    yeah, over at engadget.com they are having a field day with this story, lol!! at&t even released a statement about the issue that pretty much served as fuel for the flames, haha!! Pretty much, everyone is going to dump at&t when their contract is done, or jailbreak their iphone, haha!! Oh and MANY mentions of "Hello sprint and Palm Pre" on there as well!!
    Sincerely,

    Dwight Shrute
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    Pretty much, everyone is going to dump at&t when their contract is done, or jailbreak their iphone, haha!!
    Um, no they won't
  9. #9  
    The ability of the Palm OS emulator to work with the Slingplayer would be the ONLY reason I would buy it.
    Being stuck with Sprint TV over my beloved Slingbox would stink mightily.
  10. TazUk's Avatar
    Posts
    689 Posts
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Hmm - high-density graphics throughput with a pda processor running an emulator. It might make for a nice slideshow with intermittent sounds I suppose.
    MotionApps have demonstrated a 3D racing game running under Classic so it might be possible
  11. #11  
    Not the most impressive of moves for AT&T, nor Apple for allowing it to happen. People are now being singularly penalized because they have arguably the hottest device on the market. Not good at all.
  12. #12  
    What's worse, so are overseas people not even on AT&T. They did this across the board, JUST because of AT&T. I would be very pissed off if I were a European iPhone owner.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  13. #13  
    It protects carrier networks, but it also protects Apple's market for downloadable TV episodes in iTunes and ensures a better user experience. (sling is much more smooth over wifi)

    I dont think 3g streaming was eliminated for any one reason, there are a multitude of reasons to eliminate it and obviously 30% of the purchase price of the app * X number of users wasnt worth it to Apple. I am sure iPhone will continue to be the best selling single smartphone model on the market despite the short lived outburst of nerd rage over this issue.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    ...
    I am sure iPhone will continue to be the best selling single smartphone model on the market despite the short lived outburst of nerd rage over this issue.
    I could have sworn I heard it got bumped down to second last quarter...

    BTW, I agree with the rest of your post, I'm sure Apple looked over the multiple issues, and decided what they did based on a business decision.
  15. #15  
    AT&T said they're responsible. They sound like self-serving liars though, all the way around.

    "Slingbox, which would use large amounts of wireless network capacity, could create congestion and potentially prevent other customers from using the network. The application does not run on our 3G wireless network. Applications like this, which redirect a TV signal to a personal computer, are specifically prohibited under our terms of service. We consider smartphones like the iPhone to be personal computers in that they have the same hardware and software attributes as PCs.

    That said, we don't restrict users from going to a Web site that lets them view videos. But what our terms and conditions prohibit is the transferring, or slinging, of a TV signal to their personal computer or smartphone.

    The Slingbox application for the iPhone runs on WiFi. That's good news for AT&T's iPhone 3G customers, who get free WiFi access at our 20,000 owned and operated hot spots in the U.S., including Starbucks, McDonalds, Barnes & Noble, hotels, and airports. AT&T is the industry leader in WiFi."
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  16. #16  
    I wonder if you have the iPhone and go to Sling.com, can you install the plug in to view your slingbox at home via a webbrowser?
    Either way, I hope that Sprint does not follow suit. I have been waiting for a decent phone that will support Slings Mobile Player
  17. #17  
    Its not if Sprint follows suit, but whether they can do anything about it. If Palm offers sideloading of apps that don't have to be signed, then its irrelevant what Sprint wants to follow.

    Trust me, you don't want a carrier giving approval to apps..no matter what carrier you pick.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I could have sworn I heard it got bumped down to second last quarter...

    BTW, I agree with the rest of your post, I'm sure Apple looked over the multiple issues, and decided what they did based on a business decision.
    The Blackberry Curve series as a whole beat iPhone last quarter. The Curve is a great device, but the results are a bit misleading as that encompasses the 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330, 8350i models available on every carrier in the US.
  19. #19  
    AT&T has been pinching pennies over the years when it comes to their 3g network. I think it is perfectly reasonable that they prohibit an app that would take their already overloaded 3g network and crush it even further. But I also think that their poor excuse for a 3g network is an excellent reason for customers to give a second thought to signing a contract with them.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    AT&T said they're responsible. They sound like self-serving liars though, all the way around.

    "Slingbox, which would use large amounts of wireless network capacity, could create congestion and potentially prevent other customers from using the network. The application does not run on our 3G wireless network. Applications like this, which redirect a TV signal to a personal computer, are specifically prohibited under our terms of service. We consider smartphones like the iPhone to be personal computers in that they have the same hardware and software attributes as PCs.

    That said, we don't restrict users from going to a Web site that lets them view videos. But what our terms and conditions prohibit is the transferring, or slinging, of a TV signal to their personal computer or smartphone.

    The Slingbox application for the iPhone runs on WiFi. That's good news for AT&T's iPhone 3G customers, who get free WiFi access at our 20,000 owned and operated hot spots in the U.S., including Starbucks, McDonalds, Barnes & Noble, hotels, and airports. AT&T is the industry leader in WiFi."
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    The ability of the Palm OS emulator to work with the Slingplayer would be the ONLY reason I would buy it.
    Being stuck with Sprint TV over my beloved Slingbox would stink mightily.
    Ya me too if the Palm OS emulator doesn't work with the Slingplayer, I will NOT buy the Pre at all. I will just keep my Pro.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions