Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Maybe in a few months time Sling will make a webOS app...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Didnt they say they were waiting to see how it caught on? If everyone interested let Sling know that they were waiting for it I am sure it wouldnt hurt...
    What about sling.com? Once Flash is available for the Pre, wouldn't that work?
    Wouldn't running any sort of sling player app require hardware access? I thought I read somewhere that the POS emulator doesn't provide hardware access to the apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    AT&T has been pinching pennies over the years when it comes to their 3g network. I think it is perfectly reasonable that they prohibit an app that would take their already overloaded 3g network and crush it even further. But I also think that their poor excuse for a 3g network is an excellent reason for customers to give a second thought to signing a contract with them.
    BUT Sling works over 3G on their other smartphones and also on jailbroken iPhones with a hack. They can't be so uninformed as to not know that. People doing a search around the internet can easily find those 2 points out. They're singling out iPhone users with the clearly false assumption that it would cripple the network. If it didn't cripple it before, it won't now.

I also don't think there'd be a huge influx of Sling users at $30(plus the hardware if they don't already have it). Perhaps AT&T was going with the assumption that users would increase with the iPhone, but I don't think they'd increase that much. I'm thinking mainly people who already use Sling on other devices would use this, meaning no real increase in users and no extra strain that wasn't already there, if at all. Which I still doubt.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The 3g network in many areas is already crippled. Not justification for what they are doing, just fact. Try and use an 3g Iphone in many metro areas during high times and you won't get a connection for 10 minutes +

This happens to me in several major areas like Boston, Buffalo, Norfolk area, West Palm, Miami, Lauderdale and Orlando.

Sure Sling on other devices isn't fair, sure if they added it to the Iphone even at $30 there would be a fairly small to moderate increase in traffic but the network in many areas already can't handle the load.

So it is up to people like me, that are paying AT&T and Apple to stand up and tell them to **** off. Speak with our dollars and switch for something else. If palm can fit the bill on June 7th and I like the Pre as much as I think I will then I will.

Personally I hope they don't cave and continue the BS as it will only push others towards Palm / Sprint / Others.
    After admitting they don't have a good network, if they don't lower the plans by $10-$20 or offer variable pricing like those rumors stated, I'm going to bet people who were informed over the internet(no coverage outside of the net) could indeed be leaving. Or get cheaper plans with other phones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    BUT Sling works over 3G on their other smartphones and also on jailbroken iPhones with a hack. They can't be so uninformed as to not know that. People doing a search around the internet can easily find those 2 points out. They're singling out iPhone users with the clearly false assumption that it would cripple the network. If it didn't cripple it before, it won't now.

I also don't think there'd be a huge influx of Sling users at $30(plus the hardware if they don't already have it). Perhaps AT&T was going with the assumption that users would increase with the iPhone, but I don't think they'd increase that much. I'm thinking mainly people who already use Sling on other devices would use this, meaning no real increase in users and no extra strain that wasn't already there, if at all. Which I still doubt.
    Other smart phones can browse the web too, but the iPhone made it common and easy enough to swamp AT&T's network. I think that this is what AT&T fears. iPhone users actually use the features of their phone, and AT&T just isnt able to handle that right now. iPhone ease of use + sling would lead to a ton of new users, each of which would use it more then on less user friendly phones.

As far as quality goes, I know sling works over 3g, but I seem to recall Boy Genius mentioning that the 3g enabled beta copy he had for iPhone was noticeably less smooth then on wifi.
    Have you seen the price of the app and hardware? I don't think there will be a great increase with iPhone users, unless they already have one. You don't need to buy new hardware and/or pay $30 for an app to browse the web, so that comparison doesn't fly if that's what AT&T is going to claim.

All those people claiming they wanted this app likely are not a huge number of the mainstream public. I don't think I know ANYONE with a Slingbox.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/13/2009 at 04:49 PM.

I'm seriously wondering whether those who have iPhone/AT&T contract can justifiably cancel without penalty based on this decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    I'm seriously wondering whether those who have iPhone/AT&T contract can justifiably cancel without penalty based on this decision.
    No chance. The prohibition of streaming apps was in the T&C they signed.
    Yet Orb is still allowed so far. AT&T makes no sense but this may shed some light and some suspected this all along.

Gizmodo - Network Use Not the Only Reason For AT&T to Hate 3G iPhone SlingPlayer - Slingplayer iphone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12