Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    When iPhone 3 comes out it may possess bigger memory, multitasking, and universal search. But these are all me-too features in comparison to the Pre.

What should iPhone need to have in order to destroy the Pre?
    Dyed black hair, trendy square glasses and a $5 corduroy jacket bought from Goodwill.
    3000 Anytime + Mobile-to-Mobile + 7pm Nights & Weekends + Unlimited Data & PowerVision Services + Unlimited Text = $20 a month
    Blackberry 8330 - Paired with: Aliph Jawbone II
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    When iPhone 3 comes out it may possess bigger memory, multitasking, and universal search. But these are all me-too features in comparison to the Pre.

iPhone 3.0 will need a price of $99... oh wait, it will be $99.
    1) A monster brand
    2) A huge user base

OK, those will not kill the Pre, but they threaten the pre 10x more than any features the iPhone is expected to or could have.

Nothing will kill the Pre, it has plenty enough going for it, but the great mass of buyers of either are not going to be swayed by any feature comparison. After all, if that was the case neither would sell and we would all be on WM.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    A keyboard...
    --Nelson
    Not made by Apple.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLI… NR70v>CLI… TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    How about a slide out keyboard?

Magnetometer finding its way into next iPhone?

The "30 million user installed base" and the "45,000+ applications available" feature. iPhone isnt a jugernaught because it has the most features or the best specs. It is a well designed total package that gives most users exactly what they want from a smartphone in an attractive easy to use package.
    There are plenty of people without an iPhone, Palm just has to attract those users.
    it would need to be available on a different carrier and give other media options other than itunes.
    physical keyboard
    true multitasking
    video recording
    multitasking, push gmail with integrated gtalk, plans that are as inclusive and as cheap as sprints
    I was serious above, 3.0 might be $99.

3.0 will the everything the Pre is (multitasking) plus some extra surprises. It already sold billions of units, has millions of developer support. A better question is how can the 3.0 NOT utterly and totally annihilate the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    There are plenty of people without an iPhone, Palm just has to attract those users.
    You mean "Palm just has to attract those users back." Once upon a time, Palm was the juggernaut until they rested on their laurels for 6 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Not made by Apple.
    +1
    We saw the iphone 3.0 software. It's not going to multitask. Where do these hopes and dreams keep coming from? If further explanation is needed...Apple can't include multitasking because the iphone 3g can't handle it. They would have to wait til they can stop supporting the iphone 3g. Another year or two.

Reason number two. It took apple a few years just for even standard features to make it in. They've no reason to rush into multitasking. The Pre isn't a reason. Other OS's can multitask and haven't pressured Apple into doing this. Look for Apple to promote Push for awhile.

HD, improved camera, video recording, better processor and memory, and a tweaked design are all possible. I really doubt the HD part. But none of these are "killer" features.

But even if those aren't killer IMO, Apple has a knack of convincing people otherwise. It's amazing what a few tweaks here and there will do..
    Last edited by cardfan; 05/07/2009 at 08:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    it would need to be available on a different carrier and give other media options other than itunes.
    This is about the only thing I could see Apple doing that would really jack up the competition. If Apple had CDMA and GSM models on all four major carriers at their current price point, I just don't see how something brand new like Palm Pre or Android could gain traction.

Sure, there are a lot of users turned off by the missing features of iPhone in one way or another. But enough to give new platforms a chance? Dunno.
    If it was available on Sprint, that would put a serious damper on the Pre, but I still don't think it would kill it. One of the main reasons why I don't have an iPhone yet is because I couldn't type on the virtual keyboard very well. But the Pre still has other things going for it.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    The iPhone does not crash. If the Pre can operate without crashing and rebooting on a regular basis Palm will have a winner. Stability is key!
    Quote Originally Posted by tcarroz View Post
    The iPhone does not crash. If the Pre can operate without crashing and rebooting on a regular basis Palm will have a winner. Stability is key!
    You clearly haven't spent much time on any of the fanboy forums. I've seen plenty of problems with the iphone crashing reported there.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast