Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Last i checked, there were other smartphones besides apple that palm can eat into..
    True but the thread is about iPhone vs. Pre, AGAIN, LOL.

I wonder how many people will move from WM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Everyone who can, I imagine. And I do mean, everyone.
    I'm not sure true multi-tasking is going to be such a huge selling point for the Pre. After all, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, and the G1 already do it. If iPhone owners really wanted it, they have had plenty of other options. Also, everytime I let an app run in the background on my Blackberry, it kills my battery. The G1 has terrible battery life when running multiple apps. I hope Palm has made major battery enhancements for the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I'm not sure true multi-tasking is going to be such a huge selling point for the Pre. After all, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, and the G1 already do it. If iPhone owners really wanted it, they have had plenty of other options. Also, everytime I let an app run in the background on my Blackberry, it kills my battery. The G1 has terrible battery life when running multiple apps. I hope Palm has made major battery enhancements for the Pre.
    It's not "true multitasking" that's the selling point for the Pre, but rather "true multitasking DONE WELL", just as there were plenty of media phones before the iPhone, but it pulled together a lot of pre-existing features and did them WELL.
    The G1 multi tasks well (however battery life is poor), and has Pre like notifications.
    I still have fond feelings for WM, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    The G1 multi tasks well (however battery life is poor), and has Pre like notifications.
    I've used Android. The experience is...different from the Pre videos I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    (Sorry for the double post, but this reply is better suited here.)

I am begining to like the idea (golf clap for Phone Diva and others) of a personal cloud mass storage feature being included with the Pre at release. If the specs on the leaked Eos are true, and it has only 4GB of storage, this leads me to believe that the 8GB on the Pre is less about built in obsolecence as it it is about keeping costs down for what is essentially a "security" feature. If you have 100 GB of mass cloud storage able to be accessed for pics, videos, music, documents etc. the 8GB of on board for esential data (for when you are off the grid) seems more than adequate.

The cloud storage would also be relatively easy to keep secret, since it will only require a software feature on the phone (which we already know about) and no additional hardware, and it would certainly clam much of the criticism for lack of SD card, a means to backup data, and those who say, "iPhone's goin' to have 32GB and Palm only 8?" Because the answer will then be, "Yes, 8GB ON BOARD, and 108 total GB accessible."

That would seriously take the wind out of some sails.
    Good idea. I use try to use "the cloud" quite a bit now - Live Mesh, MyPhone, DropBox, etc. and I have both GMail and Exchange accounts which I can access online. To date, I have never found that using the "cloud" provides me with the user experience I have with native data - except for Exchange email. Maybe my expectations are too high or maybe I am impatient, but I am still trying to come to terms with "everything" in the cloud with today's wireless connections.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Look Pre is compelling, will be successful, but that is just silly. WM is several factors more powerful on several fronts. It has its well known flaws but there are many many things it can do that WEBOS can't touch and wont for a long time
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Look Pre is compelling, will be successful, but that is just silly. WM is several factors more powerful on several fronts. It has its well known flaws but there are many many things it can do that WEBOS can't touch and wont for a long time
    Oh sure, I know. I'm just so very fed up with some aspects of it on the HTC devices I've used. Maybe it's the HTC devices, maybe it's something else. Such as, perhaps my Exchange Activesync problems are because of my company's Exchange server, not WM; I could end up having the same problems with the Pre.

I know some folks like WM. I just find it frustrating in use, for all the reasons why the Pre looks attractive to me: an interface that's made for one-handed use, easy touch controls, easy access to running applications, hopefully good performance, a strong browser, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Good idea. I use try to use "the cloud" quite a bit now - Live Mesh, MyPhone, DropBox, etc. and I have both GMail and Exchange accounts which I can access online. To date, I have never found that using the "cloud" provides me with the user experience I have with native data - except for Exchange email. Maybe my expectations are too high or maybe I am impatient, but I am still trying to come to terms with "everything" in the cloud with today's wireless connections.
    To me, Live Mesh is outstanding and an example of what the cloud can be. I know there are other cloud backup/sync solutions out there, but Mesh just seems to be the simplest and most straightforward. Drag a file to a Mesh folder, and it's just there on my other systems, no muss, no fuss. I also trust Microsoft to back those files up more consistently than me and in a far more secure data center.

That's pretty compelling stuff for me. If the Pre does that for my PIM data, I'll be one happy camper.
    assides from the obvious's (true multitasking, keyboard etc etc), the phone will HAVE to come off AT&T exclusive in the US market. GSM in the USA is the equivalent of trying to use USD in moscow. YOU CANT....TMOBILE AND ATT need to get off their bums and power up those GSM towers and drop a few million more of them to boost GSM signal like the rest of the world has. I just dont get it....oh wait, its cheaper to run the towers at a much lower power level and hardly anyone will care cuz their iPhone ROXORS!
    Mike (FOOmanJEW) Jaret-Schachter
    Running With Scissors
    Producer
    www.runningwithscissors.com
    www.twitter.com/mikejaret
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    When iPhone 3 comes out it may possess bigger memory, multitasking, and universal search. But these are all me-too features in comparison to the Pre.

What should iPhone need to have in order to destroy the Pre?
    Multi-Tasking? I'm not too sure about that. Apple just made a huge case about why push notifications was the way to go, essentially calling everyone in the industry dumb. And the iPhone 3 will have Universal Search but we'll see how that goes. The bigger memory SHOULD happen on the iPhone since it runs out of memory constantly and its memory management built into the OS doesn't work that well in my experience.

IMHO though, the iPhone has everything already to destory the Pre if you're not looking just at features. It's an Apple product, and that suddenly makes you cool!

My .2 cents though.
    Apple products may have a certain cache to them, but it's very interesting to see people's opinions change when you show them a better product. That's when you see cool. The fanboys might close you off, but the rest are usually open to it. There are so many that just bought into the wow factor of it and not the overall functionality. Probably one reason why Palm should cater to people like us because we're the ones that will spread the word, educate and sell our friends and people that we come in contact with. Word of mouth can be a powerful marketing tool. As the old Faberge commercials said, "they'll tell two friends, and they'll two friends, and so on and so on..."
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    You mean "Palm just has to attract those users back." Once upon a time, Palm was the juggernaut until they rested on their laurels for 6 years.
    I'm afraid that's true. I've used a Palm since 1999. I've had Treos since 2002. But now I'm an iPhone user. It's sad but true that finally last year I gave up.

I'm not a "typical phone user" by any means, so I realize I also do not represent Palm's core constituency, but my story might help in the discussion of whether the Pre has a chance of being the "comeback device" for Palm.

As an email consultant, supporting sites with many wireless devices, in the 6 years I was an avid Treo user, I was given three separate Blackberries (all with free service), and a Nokia E61i. For the BBs I used each of them for approximately 3 weeks, and put them in a drawer. For the E61i, I managed to use it for about 2 months before I got disgusted with it. So, when the opportunity arose for me to have an iPhone, I had the expectation that I would use it for a few weeks, get my typical "I can't live without my Treo" panic attack, and stick it in a drawer to pull out and pop a SIM in when my customers called with a problem That was almost a year ago, and not only is it my daily phone, but i haven't had one of my Treo's on in about 6 months

I know that there are a lot of diehard Palm users who didn't get "tempted" by the iPhone, and because they 1) don't have a new AT&T contract and 2) haven't really "lived" the iPhone experience yet they will be eager to get the Pre. As for me, Palm would have to "woo" me back. Just telling me they have a new device won't do it. I'll need dinner, dancing, wine and romance before I can be enticed back into the fold. And I say that with a decided sigh. I loved my Palm OS devices for many years, and it pained me to finally have to admit to myself that it was a dead relationship.

For me it's like running into an old love at the grocery store, having a wistful moment of "what if", and then going back to my car with a smile to tell my husband about the former guy I used to be head over heels in love with before I met my true soulmate <g>.

Danita
    this is just a phone right? the "iphone experience"? Sorry. I just don't get it. I play with my friends' iphones every week. The GUI is fun to play with, and there are some cool apps. But I never felt myself jones'n for the experience. I can see if you're immersed into itunes and such. But it's still the bottom line that's a driving force, so if I could get a comparable "experience" and save $360 or more a year on my service, I'm there. I'm sure I have a little bias. I don't really care for Apple and the heavy hand they have, but I do appreciate what the iphone is and has done for the cell phone industry. I play around on macs every so often. I know many with iphones where the "experience" has worn off, and it's back to being just a phone, albeit one with a little more pizazz and flash.

If I'm just looking on the surface...
    • user replaceable battery along with..
    • supposed much improved battery life
    • multitasking with ease
    • physical keyboard
    • rich gui (which is a wash for some)
    • faster hardware

Those seem like enough reasons to give the Pre a look especially when the phone is on a strong 3g network that will save a decent amount of money per year over the other networks.

If after that you still need to be wooed, then stay with AT&T & the iphone. Palm has plenty of other potential users to go after that won't require as much effort. I don't mean that in a pissy sort of way. Just don't think Palm needs to woo users with your frame of mind to be successful.
    Last edited by crogs571; 05/17/2009 at 11:40 AM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    heehee - I can take your point, but here are the things that the Pre will need to do for me in order to be "tempting".

1. Have a solid and easily usable ssh client to connect to Linux servers.
    2. Have a solid and reliable remote desktop type of a client (VNC will suffice) for connecting to PCs and servers.
    3. Have sychronization features for Exchange and GroupWise (Notes would be useful as well). Email, calendars and address books are a must.
    4. Just work without me fussing over it much.

I have no technical issues with my iPhone at all. I had a LOT of crashing, rebooting, crying and suffering with every Treo I owned, but I loved them all the same. However, in the past year I've realized just how often my poor Treo crashed

I might spend a little more money on my iPhone than I did on my Treo (T-Mobile had better data and SMS plans), but I've spent only a fraction on apps for the iPhone than I spent on my Treo, so by the time I can get an unlocked iPhone and move back to T-Mobile I think I'll still be ahead of the game on money.

Don't get me wrong. I loved my Treo, and the Pre may turn out to be a wonderful phone. But I don't think that many folk who left Palm for the iPhone will be back any time soon.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong though. I have no personal interest in Apple beating out Palm on this one. I can only speak from my experience with the iPhone and there really hasn't been long term negativity in my move.

Danita
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    this is just a phone right?
    Oh, but actually, no. I've used a Treo, Nokia and iPhone as laptop replacements many times. I've gone weeks without touching a laptop on trips by using a Smartphone for just about everything. I always "managed" on the Treo. Was unhappy with the Nokia, and didn't even miss the Macbook with the iPhone. Email, calendaring, chat, browsing, fixing servers, etc. So, as I said before, maybe I'm not a typical phone user, but it has to do more than just make calls and let me listen to music or watch YouTube!

Danita
    AT&T thinks the iPhone is like a PC. Read their dumb response to the Slingbox crap.

But then that should apply to ALL smartphones. They're all micro-computers to some degree.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast