Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    HD, improved camera, video recording, better processor and memory, and a tweaked design are all possible. I really doubt the HD part. But none of these are "killer" features.
    Fact is iTunes alone is a killer feature for a huge mass of buyers and potential.
    Hey! Cloud (and user transparent)storage would be a great feature for the Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    I would love it, if Palm would announce a 1000 GB of free virtual cloud storage for every Pre user. A few days later, Apple announces 32 GB, which would seem infinitely lame.
    100GB maybe but 1000? And free?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Hey! Cloud (and user transparent)storage would be a great feature for the Pre!
    Yea if it weren't for millions of smartphones already using the cloud.
    I predict the cloud thing isnt going to last as a slogan because literally everyone selling WM, iPhone etc will be able to make that claim.

Palm will have success with "synergy" as a buzzword. But everyone can lay claim to "cloud."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    When you get booted out of an app, I believe that can be considered crashing, even if the phone doesn't reboot.

As for the 3rd gen. iPhone, I DO think 32GB and HD would be a biggie. But I agree with most others that anything else, probably not.

I've seen that keyboard rumor. I'll be absolutely floored if that one comes true!!
    This is exactly what I've feared about the PRE from the beginning. There is a classic line in the untouchables. He brings a rock, you bring a knife. He brings a knife you bring a gun ect ect. Palm has the knife Apple is bringing the Gatling gun. The 32gb is a killer right there, Pre a paltry 8gb give me a break. I'm not trying to a fanboy for Apple here. I would love a great alternative to the Iphone. Palm is botching this badly.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_Diction View Post
    I was serious above, 3.0 might be $99.

3.0 will the everything the Pre is (multitasking) plus some extra surprises. It already sold billions of units, has millions of developer support. A better question is how can the 3.0 NOT utterly and totally annihilate the Pre?
    What in the world are you talking about?

"Everything the Pre is"???

Multitasking. No, you're wrong. Please link me to any article saying that 3.0 is giving the iPhone full multitasking. If not it ISN'T like the Pre. Allowing push services is not true multi tasking.

What about Notifications. I may be wrong but all the 3.0 demos I saw all those little pop ups were still there...and they're giving you more! YAY! No unintrusive notifications from what I can see. Hmm, but I thought it was "everything the Pre is".

Any way to just start typing for your search? No? Hmm, but I thought it had everything the Pre has.

The iPhone is not going to "kill" the Pre. The only way it really could have a shot for it is if 3.0 DID had true multitasking, which it doesn't, and they were coming out with a phone with a keyboard, and if they were going to every carrier.

They're not.

Which means the Pre is going to have a good little life.

Will it "kill the iPhone"? Absolutely not. But your fooling yourself if you think there's going to be any major announcement from apple at this point that will severely "kill" the Pre
    This thread is completely inappropriate for a Palm Pre fan forum.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    100GB maybe but 1000? And free?
    The number does not matter that much. If Palm offers 100 GB, on average a user maybe uses 10 GB (a wild guess). If Palm offers 1000 GB, on average a user maybe uses 30 GB (a wild guess).

How much does 30 GB of online storage cost? Ten dollars? (A very stupid guess probably). Palm and Sprint have sold you a device and services that have a total cost of ownership measured in thousands of dollars over several years.
    keyboard
    freedom from itunes
    better than pre multitasking
    <$200

other than last one, I dont see apple ever can do rest three.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Fact is iTunes alone is a killer feature for a huge mass of buyers and potential.
    I agree. I posted something in another thread about why Palm needs similar as an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_Diction View Post
    I was serious above, 3.0 might be $99.

3.0 will the everything the Pre is (multitasking) plus some extra surprises. It already sold billions of units, has millions of developer support. A better question is how can the 3.0 NOT utterly and totally annihilate the Pre?
    when reality fails you, what do you rely on? how about fanboy-ism.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    The number does not matter that much. If Palm offers 100 GB, on average a user maybe uses 10 GB (a wild guess). If Palm offers 1000 GB, on average a user maybe uses 30 GB (a wild guess).

How much does 30 GB of online storage cost? Ten dollars? (A very stupid guess probably). Palm and Sprint have sold you a device and services that have a total cost of ownership measured in thousands of dollars over several years.
    What I meant was I don't know if they'd give 1000GB free. Maybe 100GB, but I'm still a bit skeptical that it'll be free, but it'd be nice if it was. I'm just speculating too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    What I meant was I don't know if they'd give 1000GB free. Maybe 100GB, but I'm still a bit skeptical that it'll be free, but it'd be nice if it was. I'm just speculating too.
    You could be right. They could give 100 GB for free. If you need more, you pay a monthly fee. No upper limit, while iPhone upper limit would be 32 GB.

But all of this is still just speculation.
    (Sorry for the double post, but this reply is better suited here.)

I am begining to like the idea (golf clap for Phone Diva and others) of a personal cloud mass storage feature being included with the Pre at release. If the specs on the leaked Eos are true, and it has only 4GB of storage, this leads me to believe that the 8GB on the Pre is less about built in obsolecence as it it is about keeping costs down for what is essentially a "security" feature. If you have 100 GB of mass cloud storage able to be accessed for pics, videos, music, documents etc. the 8GB of on board for esential data (for when you are off the grid) seems more than adequate.

The cloud storage would also be relatively easy to keep secret, since it will only require a software feature on the phone (which we already know about) and no additional hardware, and it would certainly clam much of the criticism for lack of SD card, a means to backup data, and those who say, "iPhone's goin' to have 32GB and Palm only 8?" Because the answer will then be, "Yes, 8GB ON BOARD, and 108 total GB accessible."

That would seriously take the wind out of some sails.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I agree. I posted something in another thread about why Palm needs similar as an option.
    The App Store is pretty convenient too. I sure hope Palm implements the same thing. I can't tell you how many free & $.99 app's I installed. Some awesome kids apps too with ABC Flash Cards and what not.
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmfood View Post
    The App Store is pretty convenient too. I sure hope Palm implements the same thing.
    That's already been announced, it's the 'App Catalog'
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I would like to thank all of those who replied to this post. After reading them all I came to the conclusion that iPhone cannot kill our Pre. It may even be possible that the Pre will eat away a huge chunk of the iPhone's market share. Who knows Pre may even kill the iPhone.

I am as excited as you are in getting my hands on this new phone. For the mean time all we can do is wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    I would like to thank all of those who replied to this post. After reading them all I came to the conclusion that iPhone cannot kill our Pre. It may even be possible that the Pre will eat away a huge chunk of the iPhone's market share. Who knows Pre may even kill the iPhone.

I am as excited as you are in getting my hands on this new phone. For the mean time all we can do is wait.
    I think it's very unlikely that the Pre will create anything worse than a dent in the iPhone's market share. For as much as the iPhone doesn't suit my purposes, it clearly does for an enormous number of people, and the folks at Apple are advertising pros. The only way the Pre is going to take significant market share from Apple is if Apple (or AT&T) royally screw up. Palm's best hope is to open up the smartphone market to everyone still out there with dumbphones.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post

Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    I think it's very unlikely that the Pre will create anything worse than a dent in the iPhone's market share. For as much as the iPhone doesn't suit my purposes, it clearly does for an enormous number of people, and the folks at Apple are advertising pros. The only way the Pre is going to take significant market share from Apple is if Apple (or AT&T) royally screw up. Palm's best hope is to open up the smartphone market to everyone still out there with dumbphones.
    One problem on a worldwide basis is no GSM Pre at the time of initial launch, but many other GSM phones will be released. Not good.

They could impact the iPhone market in the US, just due to AT&T rates (but so far, no ads that tell this) and also AT&T's spotty 3G reception. If Sprint has indeed tightened up it's network, this could help.

P.S. I did just see an ad about cheaper plans over AT&T and Verizon, that's good! Now we need to see a flat out iPhone vs. Pre rate chart, but of course they've never really said officially what plans will be offered since the Pre isn't out yet. I saw that leaked document but until it's official, it can't be used. And until that $10 off AT&T rumor is official, I can see another reason why they can't post a chart YET.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/08/2009 at 05:27 PM. Reason: New stuff added.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast