Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A rumor (but that's what this board is about, right? ):

AT&T to discount iPhone service plan?

That $10/mo could make a difference for some considering the jump - or could certainly open the iPhone up to more potiential customers, IMO.
    If true, and that is a big if, it could indicate AT&T is really getting concerned about Pre and Sprint. We didn't see anything similar from them for the Storm or G1 launches. Or it could be coincidental to the new iPhone, and a desire to get more people on board their plans. Or it could be absolutely nothing.
    AT&T is dropping either the price of the phone or the price of the plans going forth. One or both is a given.

It's still an inferior value to my Sprint plan (and that's BEFORE I factor in my 25% corporate discount), and it gets worse with each line you add if you have a family. I pay for four lines and with the Everything Data 1500, it starts at $129 and charges me $20 for each additional line. AT&T's equivalent is 1400 minutes, starts at $20 more a month and is DOUBLE the price for each additional iPhone line, not to mention it doesn't come with navigation or TV, radio, etc.

The iPhone isn't a superior (to Pre. It IS superior to the vast majority of phones on the market.) device to me, but even if it were, is it worth hundreds more a year? No.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    was the "internal" AT&T document official? If so, then I think they are generally concerned.

I guess on the flip side though, Palm as a company, it might help them sell more if this also means when the Eos,pixie, whatever comes to AT&T.
    Last edited by Reminiz; 05/07/2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: correct acronym
    Honestly this probably has more to do with the economy than it does the Pre.
    I disagree I think this is a direct impact of the Pre.
    I have a friend with an IPhone and the AT&T everything plan with unlimited minutes and he told me his bill is $180 a month. I am not sure what all you get in the IPhone package, but $180 a month for a single phone is really high.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

The equivalent to my plan is $90 a month from ATT and right now I'm on SERO for $30. When I switch to an 'Shared Everything' plan, deal will be $129 + 1 extra line (comes with two lines) + 1500 minutes. With 23% discount, plan would come to about $35/line and would include Sprint Nav. Not a bad deal at all for 'being forced to upgrade' in my situation and still a lot cheaper than $80 if its true that they cut plans by $10.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I have a friend with an IPhone and the AT&T everything plan with unlimited minutes and he told me his bill is $180 a month. I am not sure what all you get in the IPhone package, but $180 a month for a single phone is really high.
    Uh... AT&T's unlimited voice+data plan is $130, plus unlimited messaging for $20 still only gets us to $150...
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    iPhone is feeling a little jittery. He, he.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    Honestly this probably has more to do with the economy than it does the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    I disagree I think this is a direct impact of the Pre.
    I think it is a bit of both - they are reaching somewhat of a saturation point for continued growth of the iPhone on ATT alone, IMO (and other's as well: Tech Trader Daily - Barron’s Online : 10 Reasons Apple Will Sell iPhone Via More U.S. Telcos). And ATT has already bothered to put together a Pre vs iPhone comparison list for employees, so they must be a little worried. However, it will be interesting to see what happens at ATT when the GSM Pre is available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Uh... AT&T's unlimited voice+data plan is $130, plus unlimited messaging for $20 still only gets us to $150...
    There must be other options for the IPhone you can buy, like TV or GPS or something.

For my area,

Minute Plans range from
    $40 - 450
    $60 - 900
    $80 - 1350
    $100 - Unlimited

- Add $30 for Data Package

Text Messaging
    - $20 unlimited
    - $15 1500 texts
    - $5 200 texts

From my area you could conceivable pay $150 for your line. Thats 5 SERO lines!
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    I guess if he has voice dial, road side assistance, parental control, with taxes and franchise fees, he could be there I guess.

Bottom line, that is ridiculous!
    Will this drop the regular PDA data plan that's currently at $30?
    There must be other options for the IPhone you can buy, like TV or GPS or something.
    With the iPhone... no. SDK restrictions don't allow GPS navigation (yet) and, well, Apple would never ever EVER let anybody watch TV other than the stuff they've imported through iTunes. The iPhone is an iPod, after all.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_Diction View Post
    Probably...or this will ONLY apply to iPhone packages. Other PDA's will still be $30.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_Diction View Post
    Doubtful... but it would bring the iPhone closer in line with such a conglomerate plan.
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    I guess if he has voice dial, road side assistance, parental control, with taxes and franchise fees, he could be there I guess.

Bottom line, that is ridiculous!
    That's what I am guessing too. Like you said it's ridiculous.

That's what I am guessing too. Like you said it's ridiculous.
    Check att's site. It might be a local area thing where they charge more. They ask for the zip code when you look up plans
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast