Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    sprint gives you better coverage for a lot less money! WTF do you want?

unlimited voice/data/text

sprint = $99/month + taxes + fees
    vzw = $150/month + taxes + fees
    att = $150/month + taxes + fees
    I think AT&T doesn't step up it's network enough because much of the US is still on CDMA and T-Mobile uses a weird 3G band that isn't included on most worldwide 3G phones like AT&T's is. Meaning no true competition, concerning worldwide 3G phones.

It knows it carries the only true worldwide 3G phones(at this time) so if you need a 3G phone for both here and overseas, you'll likely go with them and no one else. You could go with T-Mobile USA but then you only get EDGE at home. Although that's good enough for a lot of people because T-Mobile is cheaper, EDGE is now considered slow.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    If you want a little more insight about what the AT&T network is and how they are trying to improve their network performace, read this article I saw today.

AT&T to begin implementing N-SET in an effort to reduce 3G network strain : Boy Genius Report
  4.    #65  
    Here's some fodder from the WSJ: Network Demands Are iPhone Hang-Up - WSJ.com

They even say that due to the costs of increasing data usage on all carrier's networks, carriers should abandon unlimited data plans. My guess is that if ATT does actually drop plans, they will also cap them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    With the iPhone... no. SDK restrictions don't allow GPS navigation (yet) and, well, Apple would never ever EVER let anybody watch TV other than the stuff they've imported through iTunes. The iPhone is an iPod, after all.
    Actually, there are several iPhone apps that let you watch tv other than iTunes. I use tv.com which lets me watch/stream current episodes of first run shows and it's a free app. Not to mention you can check out anything on YouTube.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Nice. ATT has higher demographics sprint has been the Kmart of carriers. Brand matters. People are not on ATT becasue they are suckers, that just betrays a total misunderstanding of why people left Sprint
    A lot of people left Sprint because of their poor customer service (personal experiences there) , and most likely because of the SERO plan disappearing . It would be interesting to see how many of the customers that Sprint is loosing were SERO. But I don't see them ever releasing that information.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrion88 View Post
    Amen brother. I would have never switched in the first place.
    I have a Sprint SERO plan and pay $30/month. I also have an iPhone 3g and pay $52/month (corportate discount). The only real difference is that on the iPhone I have no text plans, whereas with Sprint I have unlimited. Adding unlimited to the iPhone would bring it up to about $68/month, but I need the Sprint phone for free mobile-to-mobile reasons. Otherwise I'd have dropped Sprint a long time ago.

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post

They even say that due to the costs of increasing data usage on all carrier's networks, carriers should abandon unlimited data plans. My guess is that if ATT does actually drop plans, they will also cap them.
    Isnt it interesting how Sprint is not even mentioned in that article? As if they are irrelevant altogether in the wireless game? This is my biggest concern in switching to Sprint. I currently have ATT and plan on switching because I have waited and suffered long enough but this and other articles as well as peoples perceptions of Sprint concern me greatly. Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post

They are capped at 5GB, it's just not made clear.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I guess its all in location. Where I live, Sprint is easily the worst in reception, call quality and building penetration. AT&T and Verizon are far better.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdezarra View Post
    Isnt it interesting how Sprint is not even mentioned in that article? As if they are irrelevant altogether in the wireless game? This is my biggest concern in switching to Sprint. I currently have ATT and plan on switching because I have waited and suffered long enough but this and other articles as well as peoples perceptions of Sprint concern me greatly. Thoughts?
    Remember, perception is not always reality. Did Sprint have a rough patch where everything they touched turned sour? Yes. They are working toward remedying the situation, and seem to have made significant strides. I can understand the trepidation of switching carriers, especially if you are leaving what you believe is a bad one worrying that the next one will be even worse.
    Sprint remains relevant, though they are less so than in their heyday. The Pre is their opportunity to try and reverse course and make the type of clean break they need. Hence the Now Network commercials and the rebranding efforts.
    Everyone will have different experiences with different carriers, and the price to service to phone hardware formula that makes one person happy may be intolerable for others. I believe there is an option to try Sprint for 30 days and cancel if you find the service not to your liking.
    As with everything, YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    Remember, perception is not always reality.
    OK, perceptions is not alwasy reality, just 99% percent of reality when it comes to brand value, which we used to call goodwill.

You can push all the promises and even some scattered metrics to sell the idea that a GM car is as good as a Toyota, but the objective fact remains that the brand is damaged goods. Building a brand or recovering a bad brand takes a very long time, decades, damaging a brand in peoples mind is done with one or two bad experiences.

Sprints brand damage was not caused by rouge CSR's, or transient problem sin its billing system, it was caused by a corporate culture originating nowhere lese but the management halls and boardrooms of Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    A lot of people left Sprint because of their poor customer service (personal experiences there) , and most likely because of the SERO plan disappearing . It would be interesting to see how many of the customers that Sprint is loosing were SERO. But I don't see them ever releasing that information.
    Agree. We only know that Sprint itself and analysts have all acknowledged that no only is sprint net losing gross customers, and net losing even more valuable in contract customers, but that they acknowledge having a severe problem with the lowest ARPU (average Revenue per User) among their competitors. The exact numbers are unknown to us but they do cite the overall picture.

I think Sprint, because of price, is a compelling choice. There is alot of value for what you pay for. But the Sprint brand ahs a long and deep set problem with consumers. I recommend people go to Sprint and they all have a horror story to tell.

Sprints problems and attitudes toward their own customers are not just anecdotal, they are reflected in Washington where Sprint specifically spearheading and stopping and then delaying number portability, and when they lost that, has singularly been the obstacle against ending ETF fees. In other words Sprint has been the company has fought the competitive market for consumer choice and tried to keep existing customers captive by any means possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    If you want a little more insight about what the AT&T network is and how they are trying to improve their network performace, read this article I saw today.

AT&T to begin implementing N-SET in an effort to reduce 3G network strain : Boy Genius Report
    I don't think it is a well done piece. "Strained Network capacity" has been a chicken little mantra since the first 300 baud modems. The simple fact, and it is a demonstrable and undeniable constant, is that it costs less to deliver more bandwidth all the time. Low res streaming video was supposed to break down networks, VOIP was supposed to result in unbearable strain etc.

Very short term hicupps in matching pipe capacitry supply to demand are one thing. the fact is that the providers are making a killing by people moving to data plans and if it weren't for data and text they would be in a murderous price war for $25 or less for unlimited vioce.

I expect to see price cuts for plans that induce data within 6 months.
    In order of priority, for my own requirements:

1. coverage
    2. device capabilities
    3. plan price

If I have the coverage and the device (particularly smartphones) meet my requirements, then I am forced to pay for the plan that delivers upon my expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Agree. We only know that Sprint itself and analysts have all acknowledged that no only is sprint net losing gross customers, and net losing even more valuable in contract customers, but that they acknowledge having a severe problem with the lowest ARPU (average Revenue per User) among their competitors. The exact numbers are unknown to us but they do cite the overall picture.
    Very balanced post on your part, but a minor correction on ARPU. When the Q1 '09 numbers came out this year, Sprint was actually ahead of T-Mobile.

Postpaid ARPU as of Q1 2009:

T-Mobile $52
    Sprint $56

And in CDMA data ARPU, Sprint beat Verizon:

Verizon $14.18
    Sprint $15
  16.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by fdezarra View Post
    I have personally been with them for 10 years and never had a problem that did not get corrected quickly (and very few problems at that). Service has been great (and I have tried both Verizon and ATT - Verizon is as good, ATT was bad for me) and they have treated me well with some freebies here and there. You can probably go to any multiple carrier forum (HoFo is a good one) and get horror stories on all carriers. Remember, you can try any of them for 30 days w/o having to pay for nothing more than what part of the plan you use. That's how I tested Verizon and ATT. Cost me a little, but I figure it was better than canceling Sprint, porting my number and being pi$$ed at my new carrier!
    I know i'm not the normal cellphone/smartphone customer. After being on Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile (I now have a Treo 755p and iPhone 3G, took a hit with canceling T-Mobile). I have to say that out of all 3, Sprint has been the best coverage for me (I've never dropped a call, been with them since my Treo 650). T-Mobile's customer care is the best in my opinion, but they're 3G network is still really in its infancy, even though I had a much better experience using their 3G network with the G1 than I have had with any of AT&T. I've been with AT&T since the 1st generation iPhone, now the 3G and I drop calls everyday, and it's not because it's an iPhone. Palm sent me an unlocked Treo Pro to review, and Nokia a N95 and N90 Communicator and had the same issues, dropped calls all the time. I'm in the NNJ/NYC area so I have great coverager with all the carriers. I have found Sprint to have the best coverage, never drop calls, and If I had to only have one carrier, it'd be Sprint. I had Verizon a few years ago and I think they probably have the best/most reliable coverage out of all of the carriers, but their pricing is ridiculous.

$10 less per month for me does not sway me, I'd pay $10 more to not constantly drop calls. Again, I know that I'm not the normal customer, but I can honestly say that Sprint has been the best when it comes to pricing and coverage. I would not give up Sprint.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    I know i'm not the normal cellphone/smartphone customer. After being on Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile (I now have a Treo 755p and iPhone 3G, took a hit with canceling T-Mobile). I have to say that out of all 3, Sprint has been the best coverage for me (I've never dropped a call, been with them since my Treo 650). T-Mobile's customer care is the best in my opinion, but they're 3G network is still really in its infancy, even though I had a much better experience using their 3G network with the G1 than I have had with any of AT&T. I've been with AT&T since the 1st generation iPhone, now the 3G and I drop calls everyday, and it's not because it's an iPhone. Palm sent me an unlocked Treo Pro to review, and Nokia a N95 and N90 Communicator and had the same issues, dropped calls all the time. I'm in the NNJ/NYC area so I have great coverager with all the carriers. I have found Sprint to have the best coverage, never drop calls, and If I had to only have one carrier, it'd be Sprint. I had Verizon a few years ago and I think they probably have the best/most reliable coverage out of all of the carriers, but their pricing is ridiculous.

$10 less per month for me does not sway me, I'd pay $10 more to not constantly drop calls. Again, I know that I'm not the normal customer, but I can honestly say that Sprint has been the best when it comes to pricing and coverage. I would not give up Sprint.
    Good points. Ironically though i have had some of my worst sprint coverage experiences in Northern NJ! I had a contract job in Manhattan a few months back and got provided housing in the area of short hills near the milburn train station and the sprint coverage was terrible. that is a pretty dense area about 25 minutes form NY by train. I visited a friedn in the area of Franklin NJ (also northern but more rural) and the ATT and Verizon coverage was stellar and the Sprint coverage pretty much non-existent.

And despite the "tests" on 3G you see published sprints signal in hotels in NY, especially in lower conference rooms is well below the quality of verizons in my experience.

Then again I was in Ocracoke NC last weekend. On the south end of the island where all the housing is, Sprint is good at catchign altell, albeit 95% 1x, but ATT is dead.

It really varies on where you are.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast