1.    #1  
    More and more speculation of the magical $99 price mark for the iPhone 3.0. What does this mean for Pre?

Even if Palm and Sprint price it at $149, it will still be trouble for the duo. There is no way they can compete with $99 iPhone. At $99, all the average consumer phone noobs will be sucked into the Apple black hole.

And I would not be surprised for an $99 iPhone, remember about a year ago of rumors Wal-Mart offering $99 iPhone. It might be true this time around and at a price of $99.97.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    It will be a 4GB iPhone.
    It will still be an iPhone, with the same limitations, while Palm Pre will still be a smartphone that addresses most of the iPhone's limitations. If people want an iPhone they will get one regardless of competition, and if Palm Pre is desired it will be purchased regardless of the additional [hopefully] $100.

AT&T's service and pricing still factor in. Sprint's plans will play a large role in Pre adoption.

Therefore, very little impact.
    I've heard that if Apple were to produce a $99 iPhone, it would have even fewer capabilities than the current iPhone 3G, and they might only sell it outside the US.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    ...AT&T's service and pricing still factor in.
    I have a friend that has an IPhone with unlimited minutes and whatever else they offer and he told me he pays $180 a month, which I think is pretty outrageous.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

a $99 iphone is possible if ATT want to subsidize it that much. Maybe lock the user down for 3 years?

i doubt they have a bunch of inventory that they need to get rid of b4 the next model comes out.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I think it's quite possible, the refurbished ones have been selling for half off. It's clear that a new iPhone is launching and AT&T needs to clear inventory. If they are in a spot before the new iPhone is announced and they have a ton of inventory left I don't see why they wouldn't drop $100 off each version.

Selling 100,000 iPhones $100 cheaper is still better business than having 100,000 iPhones sitting in warehouses.
    The current 8GB refurbs are now $99. That can get people off the fence also, even if it's a refurb. Stomaching the plans is another thing, but apparently LOTS of people don't care. I saw so many iPhones the other day, I was like "woah", LOL!

The Pre is unique now, the iPhone almost ubiquitous despite it's supposed status symbol factor, and so that's a reason to get the Pre! Not everyone will have one, YET.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    If you follow deal threads like on fatwallet and slick deals, ?Brest buy has had on a couple of occasion, new in box not (refurb) 8 GB iphone 3g for $99 for (best buy reward zone) and $150 for everyone else.

As far as plan prices lots of people don't even think about it. (even though they should) Although you can no longer compare plans apples to apples
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Those $99 iPhone buyers are going to more than make up for it over the life of the plan - hell, Palm could release the Pre at $299, and Sprint's cheaper plans would still make the overall deal better with the Pre.

Apple and AT&T already know they can't compete feature-wise with the Pre, so they're trying to bury any word of its existence by dumping a cheap iPhone on the market and pushing slanderous internal anti-Pre documents to AT&T salesmen. They're scared boys - let's get 'em running for their lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    It will be a 4GB iPhone.
    for a non power user, it does not matter, they just want to have the status to say I have an iPhone... its not goin to be a big tag on the phone that says I only paid 99 bucks for it.... the question would be, how big is your iPhone, the answer would be, IDK, b/c the people that will take the 99 deal, does not care
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    If you follow deal threads like on fatwallet and slick deals, ?Brest buy has had on a couple of occasion, new in box not (refurb) 8 GB iphone 3g for $99 for (best buy reward zone) and $150 for everyone else.

As far as plan prices lots of people don't even think about it. (even though they should) Although you can no longer compare plans apples to apples
    I think Aero is right. People don't seem to care about plans. But i honestly think its because they don't know better. Sprint advertises 99 a month. The average iphone user won't think bargain..99 dollars is still 99 dollars no matter what else it includes. AT&T on the other hand doesn't advertise or push its most expensive plans, except the minimum one you need to get you an iphone. Just seems to me Sprint would be better off pushing the minimum plan needed to get a Pre.

In regard to the 99 iphone, i don't see Apple making things more complicated for themselves. What they have going isn't broken. How will a "cheap as a dumbphone" phone be a status symbol?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_Diction View Post
    More and more speculation of the magical $99 price mark for the iPhone 3.0. What does this mean for Pre?
    The new iPhone 3.0 will be $299 and have 32GB RAM while the 8GB and 16GB versions will be $99 and $199 respectively.

...or I could be wrong.

But Apple would love to rain on the Palm parade, even if only a little.
    My sister in law got her 16Gig iPhones for $99 via the company she works for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    Those $99 iPhone buyers are going to more than make up for it over the life of the plan - hell, Palm could release the Pre at $299, and Sprint's cheaper plans would still make the overall deal better with the Pre.

Apple and AT&T already know they can't compete feature-wise with the Pre, so they're trying to bury any word of its existence by dumping a cheap iPhone on the market and pushing slanderous internal anti-Pre documents to AT&T salesmen. They're scared boys - let's get 'em running for their lives!
    Did you expect AT&T to tell it's salespeople to push people TOWARD the Pre on another carrier? It's not considered slander to hype your product over another, as long as the claims aren't seriously false. Like if they had said the Pre's battery is likely to overheat, explode and cause injury, THAT is slander. Everyone would be out of business if it were slander to hype your product over another, LOL! This is why more people should do their own homework when shopping around and quit letting salespeople sway them.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    In regard to the 99 iphone, i don't see Apple making things more complicated for themselves. What they have going isn't broken. How will a "cheap as a dumbphone" phone be a status symbol?
    How do people still consider it one now at $99 and $149? Anyone who can stomach the plans can get one now. IMO if it's everywhere, it's lost it's "exclusive" status. It's just POPULAR now, not a status symbol.

However this may apply mainly to big or mid size cities where people still have disposable income. In towns that are hurting all the way around, maybe not so many people have iPhones.

As for selling a cheap iPhone, well they have a stripped down iPod(Shuffle) so maybe they're trying the same tactic with iPhone.

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_Diction View Post

Even if Palm and Sprint price it at $149, it will still be trouble for the duo. There is no way they can compete with $99 iPhone. At $99, all the average consumer phone noobs will be sucked into the Apple black hole.

And I would not be surprised for an $99 iPhone, remember about a year ago of rumors Wal-Mart offering $99 iPhone. It might be true this time around and at a price of $99.97.
    ahhh the iPhone is a toy and a fad, who cares...