Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    "Any major system improvements -- e.g., system memory, CPU speed, graphics acceleration -- pose a big issue: If Apple were to make major changes to any or all of those properties, it would certainly expand the realm of feasible apps in terms of graphics performance and processing complexity," said Adam Cohen, also a partner at Debacle Software. "However, any apps [that] relied on those properties to run properly would be unavailable to current 3G users, creating a massive compatibility rift in the App Store. [This would be a] big problem for developers, users and hence Apple. Any smart developer wouldn't want to rely on the new features so that they could keep their user base large."
    Opinion: What I want in the next iPhone

As expected, one item mentions is more storage, and this appears to be the only point which the Palm Pre cannot deliver. Cloud or no, 8GB will shortly fill up, and the lack of models with either more memory or MicroSD support is the only feature gap that cripples the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    Cloud or no, 8GB will shortly fill up...
    Depends on the user. I think I'll be just fine.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." L. Ron Hubbard
    With as small as micro SD cards are. I am surprised the Pre doesn't have a memory card slot.

I guess it depends on the consumer. I have a 8GB memory card in my Treo Pro. I have a couple of games, a couple of pictures and a couple of browsers on it. I could easily get by with a 1GB memory card. My wife on the other hand, has the same phone with a 8GB memory card, and has so many pictures and mp3 loaded on it she really needs a 16GB card now.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

My honest opinion? I'd want a different carrier. The iphone now and especially 3.0 seems like a great phone. But the number one concern is crippling or disapproving apps that might use "too much" 3G or conflict with apple's desire to be the sole provider of media.

Second on the list might just be a better speaker or phone experience. Use as a phone is just blah. If i see my wife's centro laying around, i'll pick it over the iphone to call someone as the speaker is MUCH louder (use the speaker because i'm mainly calling so people can hear the kiddo).

More storage isn't really high on my list. Faster processor and stuff like that will always be welcomed. But IMO, they need to fix the basics and spend some extra dough they get from raping Iphone customers to make their network able to accommodate its users. Screw 4G, some would like simply to see 3G that can be used.
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    With as small as micro SD cards are. I am surprised the Pre doesn't have a memory card slot.
    I agree. Even though I don't think I'll need more than 8GB, I'm still surprised they didn't include a micro memory slot. They said it would have to be thicker...not sure about that. :|
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." L. Ron Hubbard
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I have a 4GB microSD but I only use 30% of it. I have all the documents, all the music files and all the videos that I need. A bigger memory or even an SD slot is not a big deal for me. For others I know this is crucial.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    I agree. Even though I don't think I'll need more than 8GB, I'm still surprised they didn't include a micro memory slot. They said it would have to be thicker...not sure about that. :|
    I think it is easier said than done.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    My honest opinion? I'd want a different carrier. The iphone now and especially 3.0 seems like a great phone.
    A lot of people feel the same way about the Pre.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    The issue with the carrier depends on location.
    Right, I dont buy the space/thickness reason for no sd slot. Rather, it seems more likely to be built in obsolescence. But hey, as I've said before, its got TWICE the storage of Palm's infamous LifeDrive, so yeah, I mean thats really sayin something.

PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    I couldn't be happier with Sprint. Works great everywhere I go, with one roaming zone being the exception, but then my phone grabs a Verizon tower instead.
    I don't plan on using my Pre as a music player, enjoying as I do the Zune Pass subscription service. Or, rather, I should say: not as an MP3 player, because I _do_ look forward to Pandora on my Pre. In fact, I find myself using Pandora almost as much as my Zune.

And for me, that's just about the only thing that would take up a lot of space. Pictures at 3 megapixels aren't particularly large, and I wouldn't plan on keeping them on the phone for long in any event. I don't typically copy large video files to external players, but rather use my mobile devices for streaming video. And even when the Pre will take videos, it's the same thing: they won't be terribly long (I'd use a real video recorder for long videos), and they won't stay on the phone for long.

8GB just doesn't bother me. What does bother me is backup of the cached data, in particular notes and other info (?) that doesn't orginate in the cloud. As long as there's any easy way to accomplish that, whether it's drag-and-drop via USB cable to a PC, or via Bluetooth, or to somewhere in the cloud, I'll be happy.
    Well if there's room for a SIM card in the gsm version...
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    I think it is easier said than done.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I don't plan on using my Pre as a music player, enjoying as I do the Zune Pass subscription service. Or, rather, I should say: not as an MP3 player, because I _do_ look forward to Pandora on my Pre. In fact, I find myself using Pandora almost as much as my Zune.
    Same here! I too have a Zune Pass and love it. There won't be many mp3's on my Pre, but I am going to be checking out Pandora. Although, I do wonder how much it'll suck the battery down.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Well if there's room for a SIM card in the gsm version...
    If the CDMA version doesn't have it, I doubt the GSM version will, which would be fine for me.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

If the CDMA version doesn't have it, I doubt the GSM version will, which would be fine for me.
    All GSM phones have SIM cards. The GSM version of the Pre has already been shown on video, including its SIM (not micro SD) card. CDMA phones do not have SIM cards.

Both CDMA and GSM phones can have micro SD cards, but the Pre doesn't.

And like I said earlier, I'm fine with 8GB.
    All GSM phones have SIM cards. The GSM version of the Pre has already been shown on video, including its SIM (not micro SD) card. CDMA phones do not have SIM cards.

Both CDMA and GSM phones can have micro SD cards, but the Pre doesn't.

And like I said earlier, I'm fine with 8GB.
    I'm fairly certain that Palandri was referring to the omission of the card slot, not SIM cards.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    I'm fairly certain that Palandri was referring to the omission of the card slot, not SIM cards.
    Oh, really?..my apologies. And ya, I doubt the GSM version would have a microSD slot either...lol
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    Opinion: What I want in the next iPhone

As expected, one item mentions is more storage, and this appears to be the only point which the Palm Pre cannot deliver. Cloud or no, 8GB will shortly fill up, and the lack of models with either more memory or MicroSD support is the only feature gap that cripples the Pre.
    The thing is that everybody is comparing the Pre to the iPhone and saying that based on the way people use iPhones, that 8GB will not be enough for Pre users. The problem with that statement is that the Pre is pretty obviously aimed at a different market segment.

The iPhone, for all it's hyped up "intelligence" and added functionality via the App Store and such, really isn't aimed at traditional smartphone users - it's aimed at consumers who want their media and phone functionality all wrapped into one pretty package - hence A) the time it took to get any enterprise or third-party app development rolled out, B) the lack of power for third-party developers, and C) the pretty hacked together sync with iTunes, which works great for media, but ranges from mediocre to horrendous for PIM syncing.

The Pre is aimed at true smartphone users (BB, WM, POS, S60, etc.) and dumbphone users who are looking more for business/lifestyle-type use than a media hub, a modern platform that brings together Palm's excellent history with PIM with a modern, extensible platform for third-party apps. The fact is that the media playback functionality on the Pre is an afterthought, and for good reason - despite what Apple wants to happen, the iPhone does not, and will never replace a PMP for most people. Hell, not even the iPod Touch does that for me - I only keep music on my iPod Touch for emergencies when my Zune's batteries die.

Why do I have multiple devices for music playback? Because A) Apple kindly neglects to mention that the iPhone OS iPod app sucks, especially for use when walking/running and you want to change volume/songs without looking, and B) despite this recent explosion in convergence, there's a major problem with throwing all the functionality you could ever want into a single device - when the device that you listen to music on is the same device you have for making an emergency phone call when your car breaks down, you run the risk of that device not being there when you need it. My iPod Touch is a PDA first, a MID second, and a media player about 3000th.

Even once I get my Pre, I highly doubt I'll load any music on it - I have no need to, my Zune still works fine, and my iPod Touch will no longer have the PIM responsibilities, so I can repurpose it as a game and movie player. 8GB is more than enough for what 90% of users will use the Pre for. If it isn't enough for you, then either don't get the Pre, get the Pre and a cheap secondary PMP for use on the side, or wait for Palm to announce either a higher-capacity Pre or a more media-focused webOS-based device.
    I think people are missing the point. They said there was no room for a microSD card in the CDMA Pre, yet there is room for a SIM card slot on the GSM version. The SIM card slot being roughly the same size as a microSD slot. It wasn't about expectation of one over the other possibly having a card slot. More about debunking the room for a card slot reason.
    Oh, really?..my apologies. And ya, I doubt the GSM version would have a microSD slot either...lol
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast