1.    #1  
    I JUST SAW AT AMAZON. COM THEY ARE SELLING A COMPAQ IPAQ 3135 MODEL FOR 200.00 WITH A 50.00 REBATE. I CURRENTLY HAS A VISOR DELUXE WITH ALOT OF SPINGBOARDS. I WAS THINKING OF SWITCHING OVER TO GAIN SOME MORE MEMORY AND FUNCTIONALITY. WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK?

PS: SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS
    I think that the only PPCs worth getting are the color ones.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I've said it several times here, but since you ask...

I have a color iPaq. It's nowhere near as useful or intuitive to use on a day to day basis as a Visor. It's a glitzy toy which only adds (as built in features) the ability to play movies, mp3s and Audible books.
    But before you can *effectively* do either of the first two, you'll need to buy a CF card of at least 128 meg (256 is what is recommended for movies) and a sleave. That's another $150. You really won't, I think, want to watch the movies in black and white (personally, the ones currently available I wouldn't want to watch at all, and they display the size of a Liberian commemorative postal stamp). As for mp3s, well you could get a module for your Visor but as far as I'm concerned I'd rather get a Nomad II which has the ability for 196meg of tunes and also plays wma files. Actually, I did buy one.

There are still many fewer programs available for Pocket PC and they are all expensive

Get a Prism instead.
    -Michael-
    I'd actually wait a couple of weeks and see if any of the rumors about new Visors pan out. If they do, you can either snap up the latest-greatest from Handspring, or maybe get a better price on the Prism.
    Ditto on the Prism
    I think by late Oct we'll see more price breaks
    The Ipaq can be used for many other things as well. I loved my VDX and bought it soon after it came out. For basic PIM functions and for database management , I was very happy. I wanted to do more and have color. I use my Ipaq for daytoday PIM and find it easy to use, I also have a CF sleeve and use it for extra memory for multimedia like MP3S and audible content and also avantgo content.I also have a digital camera and I can take the CF card from my camera and place in my Ipaq and view my pictures in a larger format than on my camera. I have a PC card sleeve a have a Kingston 2 GB Datapak for large files and easy transfer from laptop to Ipaq of office files(Exel, Powerpoint). I have a wireless network and can use the same PC card as I use in my laptop to connect to the network on my Ipaq ,including web at cable modem speed. The Ipaq has a reflective screen that makes viewing in sunlight no problem. I find my Ipaq to be a good combination of a work and play device. Picture your offtime sitting on your deck wireless surfing and listening to some MP3s. The Ipaq s not for everyone just as the visor is not. Each person has to decide what they want from their handheld ( and how much you want to spend) and make a decision based on what works for them. Personally ,I think both Visor and Ipaq are excellent at what they are designed to do and I like them both for different reasons.
    oiriginaly posted by patitt
    I think both Visor and Ipaq are excellent at what they are designed to do and I like them both for different reasons.

Exactly -- at least as far as your final comment goes -- these are different machines that perform different purposes well -- though I do think that the whole idea behind "Palm or Pocket" computing is form factor -- otherwise just use a small notebook PC.