Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I've been 100% Palm for all of my PDA/Smart Phone life. All the way back to the first Pilot. Been running the 750 for 2 years now. I anxiously await the Pre.

BUT, I've been reading a lot about iPhone 3.0 and rumors of a new device in June. I feel the pull of the dark side.

Where can I find an objective up to date contrast/comparison of these two platforms(recognizing the new iPhone device is only a rumor that would mean 3.0 on existing device).

I did some searching and found a couple of threads but they always start out as a comparison - not very objective - and they soon deteriorate into people slamming each other. I want facts.
    I haven't seen a good comparison. Every one I've read has left out important details from one or the other. It looks like the new iPhone hardware will best the Pre in multiple categories that people care about. The Pre will still have a keyboard and removable battery, though. Haven't heard any rumors about the new processor in the iPhone--figure it will be a wash. The big news will be the bigger capacities on the iPhone--probably 32G and 16G, both of which will make the Pre look tiny at 8G.

On the software side, UI is probably a wash--both are beautiful and fluid. The Pre bests the iPhone on PIMs, Synergy, multi-tasking, and apps ability to access PIMs. iPhone will have a bigger app store, but the Pre will be able to use the Palm OS apps of which there are many thousands (though not all will work) via the Classic emulator. Both do EAS. Both will have access to a music store, though iTunes is bigger.

In the end, for me, it comes down to two major things: the keyboard, and the PIMs. Palm simply understands how to do personal information management. The PIMs on the old Palm OS are still better than what is available on the iPhone. The Pre takes this to a new fantastic level with Synergy. The keyboard is also important to me as I find the iPhone virtual keyboard impossible to type accurately on, though the landscape keyboard of 3.0 may help.

I think either one is a good choice, but everyone has different priorities.
    Here's a thread I started up not that long ago. It's not flashy, but it tries to lay out a lot of the dot-points in an objective manner:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...-0-vs-pre.html
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by 180to650 View Post
    Where can I find an objective up to date contrast/comparison of these two platforms(recognizing the new iPhone device is only a rumor that would mean 3.0 on existing device).
    Here is the latest objective comparison I put together between the Pre and the existing iPhone 3G with the firmware version 3.0 upgrade. The iPhone 3.0 firmware hasn't been released yet, but the features have been announced. I don't get into the call quality and user interface stuff, which I think is a big win for the Pre, because it's not really objective like the stuff below. Enjoy!

Price:
    Pre: $199 + 2 years on Sprint
    iPhone: $299 (16 GB) or $199 (8 GB) + 2 years on AT&T

Total cost over two years, with unlimited voice and data:
    Pre: $2,575 ($99/month)
    iPhone: $3,559 ($139/month)

Memory:
    Pre: 8 GB, with storage & backup in the cloud
    iPhone: 8 or 16 GB

Keyboard:
    Pre: slide-out physical keyboard with tactile feedback
    iPhone: on-screen keyboard, portrait or landscape, no tactile feedback

Resolution:
    Pre: 320 x 480 at 24 bit depth
    iPhone: 480 x 320 at 18(?) bit depth (not published)

Multitouch screen: yes for both

Weight:
    Pre: 4.76 oz
    iPhone: 4.7 oz

Camera:
    Pre: 3 MP, LED flash, self-portrait mirror, video recording will come via update
    iPhone: 2 MP, no flash, no mirror, no video recording

Messaging:
    Pre: SMS, MMS, Google Talk, AIM
    iPhone: SMS only (no MMS!)

Multitasking:
    Pre: 10-15 simultaneous apps has been demoed
    iPhone: no, except with a few built-in applications

Search:
    Pre: universal search
    iPhone: limited to within application

Cut and paste: both support it

Battery:
    Pre: 1150 mAhr, user replaceable
    iPhone: can't replace battery (and voids warranty if you try)

iTunes sync: both support it out of the box

Exchange support:
    Pre: sync mutiple Exchange accounts
    iPhone: sync single account

Universal inbox:
    Pre: yes ("All inboxes")
    iPhone: no

Bluetooth: both support stereo bluetooth
    iPhone 3.0 software has video recording and iPhones in general have access to cloud storage just like the Pre. IIRC there is even a nice Dropbox app for iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamkins View Post
    Here is the latest objective comparison I put together between the Pre and the existing iPhone 3G with the firmware version 3.0 upgrade. The iPhone 3.0 firmware hasn't been released yet, but the features have been announced. I don't get into the call quality and user interface stuff, which I think is a big win for the Pre, because it's not really objective like the stuff below. Enjoy!

Price:

Memory:

Keyboard:

Resolution:

Weight:

Camera:
    Pre: 3 MP, LED flash, self-portrait mirror, video recording will come via update

Messaging:

Multitasking:

Search:

Battery:

Exchange support:

Universal inbox:

There are plenty of IM Messenger apps available for the iPhone (some free). I use Beejive IM. Its an incredible program that offers more IM protocols than the PRE will offer.

I agree the built in PIM on the iPhone doesnt have that many features. I am running Pocket Informant. I will put this up against the PIM in the PRE any day.

I still have major doubts the PRE will sync with two Exchange ActiveSync servers. Even if it could, it would kill your battery as this would require two constant connections.

Careful when putting the physical keyboard of the PRE as a Pro. If early reports are true, you might want to consider it a negative.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamkins View Post

Price:

Memory:

Keyboard:

Resolution:

Weight:

Camera:

Messaging:

Multitasking:

Search:

Battery:

Exchange support:

Universal inbox:

Good comparison. The non-tangible comparison will be:

Network:
    <Insert comment here about how Sprint/AT&T sucks or is great and the other carrier is useless>.
    Also EVDO Rev A. vs. HSDPA and the ability to roam outside of the US. What I never understand is why people get so heated about a network, if a carrier works well for your lifestyle and what you use it for then go nuts!

Cool Factor:
    If you are mainstream - iPhone has the current "wow" factor and non-technical people and Lemmings know and respect it. We shall see how the Pre breaks into the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post

Careful when putting the physical keyboard of the PRE as a Pro. If early reports are true, you might want to consider it a negative.

It is inherantly better to have a physical keyboard. It will be even better when the Pre gets the option for a touchscreen as well, although I will never need it.

Another positive for the Pre I do not see often is one handed use.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    There are plenty of IM Messenger apps available for the iPhone (some free). I use Beejive IM. Its an incredible program that offers more IM protocols than the PRE will offer.

I agree the built in PIM on the iPhone doesnt have that many features. I am running Pocket Informant. I will put this up against the PIM in the PRE any day.

I still have major doubts the PRE will sync with two Exchange ActiveSync servers. Even if it could, it would kill your battery as this would require two constant connections.

Mobileman, I know you're an iPhone fanboy and have only said disparaging comments about the Pre. But I have a question: what's the point of IM if you can't keep it open while doing other things? You have to keep your iPhone as a dedicated IM client...good luck with that! If you're counting on push notifications as a savior in this area you're going to be disappointed unless you like 100's of intrusive notifications.

Physical keyboard has many benefits beside tactile feedback. It gives you screen real estate. Take the browser for instance, you need to have an address bar at the top and you have to have back and forward buttons on the bottom, and if you ever need to type an address this takes up 75% of your screen. On the pre, you just get the browser in all it's glory. Due to the reduced size of the screen on the Pre this makes usable area a wash, but allows the pre a smaller form factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    Mobileman, I know you're an iPhone fanboy and have only said disparaging comments about the Pre. But I have a question: what's the point of IM if you can't keep it open while doing other things? You have to keep your iPhone as a dedicated IM client...good luck with that! If you're counting on push notifications as a savior in this area you're going to be disappointed unless you like 100's of intrusive notifications.

Physical keyboard has many benefits beside tactile feedback. It gives you screen real estate. Take the browser for instance, you need to have an address bar at the top and you have to have back and forward buttons on the bottom, and if you ever need to type an address this takes up 75% of your screen. On the pre, you just get the browser in all it's glory. Due to the reduced size of the screen on the Pre this makes usable area a wash, but allows the pre a smaller form factor.

Yep, I must be an Apple fanboy. After all, I am not ready to proclaim the PRE the greatest gadget of all time yet. I guess this makes you a Palm fanboy.

I will own a Pre. I am going to the launch party in NY friday night and looking forward to it. But the idea that you cant bring up negatives when comparing to the iPhone is stupid and immature.

As for your IM comment your right. Ofcourse this will be addressed when push notification become available in a few weeks. Let me now ask you, what good is the PRE IM client if the people you want to chat via Yahoo Messenger? I am sure you will spin this as a positive "feature" of the Pre.
    Last edited by mobileman; 06/02/2009 at 09:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    It is inherantly better to have a physical keyboard. It will be even better when the Pre gets the option for a touchscreen as well, although I will never need it.

Another positive for the Pre I do not see often is one handed use.
    unless the keyboard is bad and there is no on screen alternative. Then the device becomes unusable. I will reserve my judgment until friday night.
    unless the keyboard is bad and there is no on screen alternative. Then the device becomes unusable. I will reserve my judgment until friday night.
    You are right of course, which is why I can't stand full touch screen phones. There is no option for an unusable keyboard.

But there has been plenty of preliminary reviews that say the Pre's keyboard is usable, so I do not believe that is going to be a limiting factor for me. I will reserve judgement on other aspects of the phone, however.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Yep, I must be an Apple fanboy. After all, I am not ready to proclaim the PRE the greatest gadget of all time yet. I guess this makes you a Palm fanboy.

I will own a Pre. I am going to the launch party in NY friday night and looking forward to it. But the idea that you cant bring up negatives when comparing to the iPhone is stupid and immature.

As for your IM comment your right. Ofcourse this will be addressed when push notification become available in a few weeks. Let me now ask you, what good is the PRE IM client if the people you want to chat via Yahoo Messenger? I am sure you will spin this as a positive "feature" of the Pre.
    You're an Apple fanboy because you refuse to acknowledge good points of the Pre and only bring up the negatives in comparison to the iPhone, but not the reverse. You refuse to acknowledge that the Pre can do things the iPhone can't. I can acknowledge that the iPhone has some better features and is a more mature platform.

Like I said in my previous post, push notifications are no substitute for multitasking.

Scenario on iPhone:
    Working on an e-mail.
    Receive disruptive notification that I have an IM
    have to save e-mail, close application, open IM, talk
    back to e-mail, repeat

You have to see the benefit of multitasking with subtle notifications. As far as Yahoo chat, you use an IM app for you iPhone, why can't you use one for the Pre, which will allow you multitasking?
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    The original poster of this thread stated ...."I did some searching and found a couple of threads but they always start out as a comparison - not very objective - and they soon deteriorate into people slamming each other. I want facts."

Why are we falling back into the same old iPHONE vs PRE rant?

Both phones have positives and negatives, and some people might think a virtual keyboard is a positive, while others will think its negative, for example.

There is no way to specifically duel the iphone & pre because everyone needs something different, likes something different, wants something different. You know you ARE ALLOWED to like both phones. For me, I wish i could combine the best features of both, why not respect both phones for their capabilities, and leave it at that.

With that said... can we not make this into an iphone vs PRE battle, and instead, make it an iphone vs PRE comparison of features.

Some things about the above.
    The "new" iphone rumored for announcement June 8th shows some changes.
    3.0 is a firmware upgrade, but on its heels looks to be a hardware upgrade.
    Some things in the list above, are updated it seems in 3.0 & new hardware:

Memory upgraded: 16gb, 32gb
    Video Recording Available
    Camera 3 or 5mp instead of 2
    MMS Messaging included
    Universal Search - Spotlight - added.

So to the original poster, there are some things to consider that the "new" supposed iphone will have. People might deem these things important, great, wonderful, or stupid, dumb, unusable, but everyone is different. The point is, provide the information, and let each individual choose what they feel is best for them.

There are other additions to the list from APPLE for the "new" iphone, many places to get a more complete list. OLED screen looks to be just a rumor and not for real.
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    Yes, there is an updated Pre vs. iPhone 3.0 comparison. It goes like this:

Pre good. iPhone bad.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Some of you are just as bad as the rabid Apple boi's.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    You're an Apple fanboy because you refuse to acknowledge good points of the Pre and only bring up the negatives in comparison to the iPhone, but not the reverse. You refuse to acknowledge that the Pre can do things the iPhone can't. I can acknowledge that the iPhone has some better features and is a more mature platform.

Like I said in my previous post, push notifications are no substitute for multitasking.

Scenario on iPhone:
    Working on an e-mail.
    Receive disruptive notification that I have an IM
    have to save e-mail, close application, open IM, talk
    back to e-mail, repeat

You have to see the benefit of multitasking with subtle notifications. As far as Yahoo chat, you use an IM app for you iPhone, why can't you use one for the Pre, which will allow you multitasking?
    Have you checked my post history? Are you claiming I have never acknowledged the good points of the Pre?

By the way, you scenario above is as incorrect as your statement about me. First of all, you dont need to "save your email". You can go to IM and right back with saving. You can configure the notification to play a sound and not pop up a "disruptive message". If I am using the device to write an email and my IM tone plays, I can assume I have an IM.

By the way, most of the day I'm not actually looking at my phone. In these scenarios I would probably want the most "disruptive" notification as possible. Now with all of that being said, the PRE notification system is far better than the iPhone (very similar to the G1).

Are you assuming there will be an IM app that supports Yahoo on launch day?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Some of you are just as bad as the rabid Apple boi's.
    Impossible. Some of us are, however, more subtly satirical.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Impossible. Some of us are, however, more subtly satirical.
    not impossible. Some of you guys are really bad. Why are you guys so emotionally invested in a company to the point it just makes you mean and hateful? Unless you work for the company and they send you a paycheck they're not doing anything for you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast