Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by rsprouse View Post
    Good comparison. The non-tangible comparison will be:

Network:
    <Insert comment here about how Sprint/AT&T sucks or is great and the other carrier is useless>.
    Also EVDO Rev A. vs. HSDPA and the ability to roam outside of the US. What I never understand is why people get so heated about a network, if a carrier works well for your lifestyle and what you use it for then go nuts!

Cool Factor:
    If you are mainstream - iPhone has the current "wow" factor and non-technical people and Lemmings know and respect it. We shall see how the Pre breaks into the market.
    If you are going to bring the network into it, then let's add that the iPhone allows you to talk, send and receive emails, and browse the web.
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    not impossible. Some of you guys are really bad. Why are you guys so emotionally invested in a company to the point it just makes you mean and hateful? Unless you work for the company and they send you a paycheck they're not doing anything for you.
    I can't speak to the "mean and hateful" part about members of this forum, but I'll say that I've found Apple fans, over the years, to be some of the most irrational cheerleaders I've ever encountered. If you really want to see some vitriol, go to a Mac forum and compare, say, the Zune to the iPod, or Win 7 to OS X.

Talk about being emotionally invested in one's purchases...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeray View Post
    The original poster of this thread stated ...."I did some searching and found a couple of threads but they always start out as a comparison - not very objective - and they soon deteriorate into people slamming each other. I want facts."

Why are we falling back into the same old iPHONE vs PRE rant?
    ^ Thanks for that.

Calling each other fanboys really isn't a civil discussion.

Respect others - Be courteous to other forum members. Be tolerant of those who disagree with your opinion and discuss differences in a constructive manner. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.
    Personal Attacks - Do not flame, insult, or post a personal attack against another user on the PreCentral forum. Be courteous, not rude. Do not troll or respond to trolls.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I hear a lot of folks on here championing the Pre's multitasking as a significant advantage over the iPhone, and on the surface I agree... even though I'm a 2-generation iPhone owner, I'm still considering grabbing a Pre on Saturday and giving it a 30-day trial (especially since I've never used Sprint's service before).

That said, the reality is a little different. I think Palm is claiming 10-15 cards at a time, which sounds like a lot until you realize that includes multiple open web pages as well. The iPhone is already capable of 8 open web pages at once, which you can easily flip between. Add in playing music in the background or receiving mail in the background, and you're theoretically getting closer to Palm's assumed multitasking "advantage" (I know, I'm stretching it here since the Pre is capable of any application where the iPhone is only capable of this trick on Apple's built-in applications).

I guess it depends on what you use your phone for, but if you're largely a web surfer who likes to play music and be able to get their e-mail pushed (via MobileMe or Yahoo) at the same time, the Pre might not have as much to offer in that regard.

Anyway, as I mentioned in another post, I'm an Apple fanboy to be sure, but the Pre has definitely captured my attention with its siren-esque lure. And with the Nokia N97 poking its head out of the sand any day... it's like new phone overload right now! LOL
    I am interested in the Pre, but one advantage iphone has is voice recognition web browsing. The less typing the better as far as I'm concerned.
    Do you really use that? I just couldnt see myself sitting in line at the store and saying "http://forums.precentral.net!!!" no damnit I said "http://forums.precentral.net!!!" into my phone.
    I have a friend with an iphone and spoke some rather obscure things into it and the browser found each one. To me it would be easier saying a few words into a phone rather than typing on a tiny keypad.
    Quote Originally Posted by sactowild View Post
    I am interested in the Pre, but one advantage iphone has is voice recognition web browsing. The less typing the better as far as I'm concerned.
    It should be clear that this is an application that could be added to the Pre since it does not come built-in to the iPhone, but I personally use Google Mobile App on my iPhone to look up businesses, etc. when I'm driving. I know I shouldn't be using my phone, but I think it's better than actually typing it out. It is often also much quicker than I think typing out a longer query could ever be.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I can't speak to the "mean and hateful" part about members of this forum, but I'll say that I've found Apple fans, over the years, to be some of the most irrational cheerleaders I've ever encountered. If you really want to see some vitriol, go to a Mac forum and compare, say, the Zune to the iPod, or Win 7 to OS X.

Talk about being emotionally invested in one's purchases...
    To be fair to them you are talking about purchases that are a part of someone's lifestyle. I could say the same thing about sports fans who get insanely mad when someone talks bad about their favorite team. I'm sure I'm not the only person that's heard of a fan of a different team being beaten up?

I'm not justifying their blind support of a brand, but we are all human and we all do things that are irrational at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Careful when putting the physical keyboard of the PRE as a Pro. If early reports are true, you might want to consider it a negative.
    I'm not pushing either as a pro. I'm just listing the features of the two smart phones. Some might prefer a touch-screen keyboard. I don't, but YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    iPhone 3.0 software has video recording
    The existing iPhone with 3.0 firmware does NOT have video recording:

iPhone 3.0 beta firmware FAQ

If you are trying to change the subject to the anticipated iPhone 3.0 hardware, the comparison gets much more murky, because all we have to go by is rumors. Apple has yet to announce anything official.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12