Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    So right now I have an iPhone. But really want the multi-tasking capabilities of the Pre. I hate having to close the app I'm in when I get an email or text message in order to respond to these, then re-open the app I was in originally. Also hate having to open & close the maps app when I'm using maps but want to do other things too.

But it would be really hard to give up all the cool apps on the iPhone. If I got a Pre & used that as my phone, I could then get an iPod Touch & still use most of the apps (except the ones that require an Internet connection when I'm not in a wi-fi area). The Touch would probably be better for movies, videopodcasts, ect. But the Pre would be my primary Internet device.

I'm not thrilled about having to use 2 devices, but I've done that in the past & at least I'd have the best of both worlds.

What do the rest of you think about this scenario?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    If you absolutely need those apps and absolutely want the Pre, then yeah, that's going to be yoru best solution.

The good thing is that if there is good developer support for the Pre there could be a chance that within 6 months or so if the apps you badly want aren't some more obscure one that they may be available on the Pre as well.
    I would get Pre first without iPT, because I think it covers what iPT does already, just like iPhone covers what iPT does.

Unless there are special needs, such as if you are using iTMS or using some very important iPT apps (very important, is a standard you will have to judge for yourself, many stuff is not that important once you really look at them).
    Yea its true, you may not have every fart app you could possibly want on day 1 of the Pre's release, but I really think the number of apps for the Pre will rival even the iphone. I personally think there is nothing on the ipod touch that will be specifically necessary while using a Pre. The screen will be a little bigger on the ipod touch so watching video may be a bit more comfortable, but other than that, most apps that are of any importance need 3G anyways (which you won't have with the touch).
    Get both and maybe one day in the not so distant future you'll be able to tether your iPod Touch to your Pre via WiFi and share that 3G data connection.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    I have a BB Flip that is very functional and cool (and small) for my needs.. I just got a Touch that I am enjoying a great deal (think Kindle app). Yeah the app store is phenomenal. You're not off base.
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Get both and maybe one day in the not so distant future you'll be able to tether your iPod Touch to your Pre via WiFi and share that 3G data connection.
    A buddy of mine has been doing this exact thing: He has a CradlePoint travel router that accepts his Treo 755 via usb and crreates a WiFi hotspot wherever he is, car, hotel, campground. It appears Home | Cradlepoint Technology is already considering a firmware upgarde to accommodate the Pre.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    I was thinking more along the lines of the fine people at June Fabrics releasing a version of PdaNet for the Pre. No additional hardware required.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    it's 2009. life is too short to fumble around with more than one device.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    If the Pre can tether without an add-I'll probably get a 8GB pre and a 32 GB touch when the price drops again. Solves all the problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    But the pants/shorts I wear come with at least 4 pockets, sometimes 6 or 8. Why not a device for each pocket?

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    But the pants/shorts I wear come with at least 4 pockets, sometimes 6 or 8. Why not a device for each pocket?
    you have two wrists too, do you wear two watches?

keep it simple. less is more. this is the path to peace and tranquility.
    Nah, but I do tote my iPod Touch around. My son likes to play the games on it.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    That's been my philosophy as well.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I kind of have this today with my Touch and Treo Pro.

I have wifi software (can't recall name) installed on my Treo Pro which turns it into a access point. Then I can use the touch to connect via wifi to the Pro when necessary. It works really well.
    you have two wrists too, do you wear two watches?

keep it simple. less is more. this is the path to peace and tranquility.

Multiple devices is very 2004.

Though I may be in the market for a Touch for my girlfriend, there is a scientific application she uses that has great integration with OSX mobile. (Papers - mekentosj.com | Introducing Papers... Your personal library of science) Being able to read, notate and file papers while commuting would be a nice feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by iFalcon View Post
    I kind of have this today with my Touch and Treo Pro.

I have wifi software (can't recall name) installed on my Treo Pro which turns it into a access point. Then I can use the touch to connect via wifi to the Pro when necessary. It works really well.
    Sorry if I'm a little dense on this issue, but you're saying that by a software solution alone, your Pro can transmit a WiFi signal to which other devices can access the internet through your Pro's EVDO? Sadly, Palm's refusal to include WiFi on any of the 6 PalmOs devices I have owned has left me behind the curve on understanding phones and WiFi.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    I contemplated buying an iPod Touch to go next to my BB/Pre. There's just too many things that the Pre will do that the iPT does also. So I can't really justify having an iPT in addition to the Pre.

I'm also not a media mogul. I can barely fill up 2 gigs on my BB.

I think having an iPT for the fancy apps and a lot more storage would be a great solution if 8gigs wasn't enough for me.
    I really hope that someone writes a podcast app!!!!
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    Sorry if I'm a little dense on this issue, but you're saying that by a software solution alone, your Pro can transmit a WiFi signal to which other devices can access the internet through your Pro's EVDO? Sadly, Palm's refusal to include WiFi on any of the 6 PalmOs devices I have owned has left me behind the curve on understanding phones and WiFi.

Sure does. I use WMWifiRouter - Welcome. It transforms the Treo into a access point. The touch finds it and off I surf. I stream Pandora at work with this setup.

It does eat battery, but I have the Pro plugged in.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast