1.    #1  
    I'm thinking of getting a new PDA (once HS releases details on their new models). Do you think it is better to get a Handspring device, or would you go with a PocketPC? The Springboard slot is dang cool and I like the modules I have. But, do the faster processors and large memories of PocketPC devices make for better PDAs?
    Depends. Personally I am a power user and the new Pocket PC 2002 devices look really cool but they are out of my price range. The faster processors and larger memories make up for the fact that most PPC programs are bigger than their Palm OS counterparts. If you are happy with your current Handspring device but want more power go with a Platinum or wait for the new devices.
    I am in the same position. I want to upgrade from my 2meg visor. The faster processors and more memory of the PPC units doesn't seem to translate to faster machines. I have been playing with the compaq and hp units and they are a bit slow.

I like my visor, but there isn't mcuh seperating the handspring units from the other palm powered devices. I use the backup module, but the handera has expansion now. I really like the jog wheel to select without stylus.

Maybe the new devices will stand out from the pack.
    Not sure there's a general advantage of the PPC PDA's over Palm or vice-versa. In terms of cost, once you buy a Palm OS device and pay for the software/hardware to view/edit MS files, listen to MP3's, etc. I think you're probably around the same price for a PPC device.
    But there's waaaay more freeware/shareware available for the Palm OS.
    As has been written in many of these kinds of threads, I think the device that's best is the one that best serves _your_ needs at _your_ price.
    My .02
    I will be (probably) upgrading in the next few months and have made up my mind to stick with PalmOS. My reasons:

- The PPC devices I like are too expensive for me.
    - PPC, on paper, has a faster processor and more memory, but the software it uses is so bloated that they perform about as well as PalmOS when you balance everything.
    - The PPC units I have played with just seem too bulky and obtrusive. PalmOS devices are pretty "hip-pocket-friendly" for the most part.
    - I enjoy the simplicity of the Palm OS.
    - I don't have much use for multimedia, which seems to be the biggest selling point of PPC over PalmOS.
    - I like Micro$oft less and less each day.

PPC devices do have some nice features, though, like greater compatibility with MS Office applications. And for multimedia apps, Palm OS is catching up (see Clie 710) but PPC devices are still far ahead. But I think PalmOS is still the winner (for now) in my book.

The real question for me is WHICH device to upgrade to. The Clie 710 is very sweet, as is the Handera. If the Handera had the same color display as the Clie, it would be no contest. The "X" factor here is what Handspring will come out with, and so my upgrading is postponed until then.
    BertBert
    Mark 12:28-31
    Palm all the way for me
    I am the proud owner of a VDX. For personal use, I'm Palm OS all the way. I think the palm OS is much better for me. I don't have any desire to listen to mp3s or watch movies or even play graphically stunning games on my handheld, I just want to get work done and organize my life. PPC is not as good at this as Palm is.

How do I know? Because I work with both, all the time. My job is programming for PPC. As a developer, I have in my possession a Cassiopeia, Ipaq 3650, and HP Jornada 548 (I don't own them, the company does). So I am constantly exposed to PPC, and I hate it. It just doesn't work! I don't want a laptop crammed into a handheld form factor. I want a day planner with additional functionality.

Palm OS just makes more sense for what I use it for.

My next unit will be Palm OS. Hopefully a thin form factor color Visor that uses the old connector (I don't want to buy a new stowaway).
    - John
    Originally posted by pee-dee-eh
    . . . . PPC is not as good at this as Palm is.

How do I know? Because I work with both, all the time. My job is programming for PPC. As a developer, I have in my possession a Cassiopeia, Ipaq 3650, and HP Jornada 548 (I don't own them, the company does). So I am constantly exposed to PPC, and I hate it. It just doesn't work! I don't want a laptop crammed into a handheld form factor. I want a day planner with additional functionality.

Palm OS just makes more sense for what I use it for.

My next unit will be Palm OS. Hopefully a thin form factor color Visor that uses the old connector (I don't want to buy a new stowaway).
    Man thats a strong statement.

I am gonna stick it out with Palm. Though I love great graphics and the ability to listen to music and watch videos. When it comes to scheduling marketing campaigns, CD rom development(even remembering my fiancees birthday ) etc. the palm pda has saved my *** many a times. Its fast and elegant. Palm just needs to add a little multimeda and they will keep me happy
    Last edited by mikedemo; 08/23/2001 at 04:06 PM.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    As many have said on this topic, it depends a lot on what you want. I have greatly enjoyed my VDX over the last almost two years (it's two years since it was announced and I pre-ordered and waited, and waited, along with everyone else...), but more and more I'm realizing that I do want a laptop crammed into a handheld form factor. I want to have several hundred mp3's in my pocket on a toshiba 5GB PC Card hard drive, as well as a thousand or so word and excel files. I wouldn't mind watching a movie on the bus, and I wouldn't mind playing Quake either. And I fully intend to ftp files to the websites I manage from wherever I happen to find myself, hopefully with a GPRS PC Card. So I'm moving to the iPAQ...

But it's going to cost me plenty. And if you're only looking to organize your life, you don't really need all those bells and whistles...
    After responding to the thread about how much I spent on my Visor, I realize I've invested quite a bit in the Palm set up. My next will be the Clie 710c unless Handspring produces a slender, color PDA miracle (that can be used with a Stowaway).