Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    There are thousands of FREE palm apps available, so this point doesn't seem to fly.
    We're talking about the Pre here. Legacy Palm OS Garnet apps won't run on the Pre. I did tweak the original post to indicate that there will likely be some 3rd party apps available in the Pre store at launch, as I'm sure that there are some select 3rd party developers that they're giving preferred early-info/access to.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    one thing I'll like about true multitasking is due to the larger screen on the Pre. I'm more likely to work more in docs to go on it than I am on the Centro. I can see more on screen and work a little easier. So I can easily work on a spreadsheet and leave it open to go back and edit throughout the day. Can go and play games, use the calendar and contacts, surf the web, all the while going back and work on documents without reopening it all from scratch every time.

That alone is very convenient.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by WMicke View Post
    Camera: The Pre camera, I read that it was actually a 3.2 MP autofocusing camera w/ built in software image processing. VS. the iPhone which is a 2 MP fixed focus camera w/o any image processing built in (although their might be some apps to support this available via the app store). ..... [for more see original post]
    Great post!, Where can I read more of these? Thanks
  4.    #24  
    Somehow I missed WMicke's post altogether. I just read through it and will try to make a few updates to the original post, but will need to mull over how best to integrate some of those things, so I probably won't get to that till later. In the mean time, can you provide more support for the camera info as well as the info regarding Telenav coming in-box and not having any additional charges associated with it?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Well i personally disagree, but that's ok. If i'm considering users overall, i agree though. And i should be considering overall and not just personal.

Back to the OP. Let's be consistent and use strict criteria then. 15k apps for apple. Only available on app store. You don't really need anything else or it starts getting subjective and opinionated. For palm, all you can say is names were listed as partners, apps tbdtbdtbd, $available$ $from$ $other$ $sources$ $online$ $as$ $well$ $as$ $the$ $Pre$ $App$ $catalog$.
    Agree with you here. Its a good way to word it. And I also understand your frustration...really, how many "fart apps" do you need, and yet to the masses it seems to be a popular "feature".

Some other things:

Facebook Intigration
    iPhone
    - 3rd party program that allows you to have access to face book information
    Pre
    - Interaction with facebook through:
    contact photos
    addresses
    phone numbers
    calender
    messaging

Accessories
    iPhone
    - Large amount of accessories available through "dock" connection
    Pre
    - Wireless Charging through Touchstone

Along with storage you could possibly also add
    iphone
    - Does not natively work as a drag and drop Mass Storage Device
    Palm
    - Functions natively as a drag and drop mass storage device

Not *really* storage but could be a good place for it.
    Last edited by Zyphlin; 03/19/2009 at 01:46 PM.
    In terms of storage, there are numerous third party apps that allow transferring files to the iPhone via WiFi. I use MobileStudio to carry and view Word, Excel, PDF and HTML files. Unfortunately, you can't edit most of these with this app. there are a few apps that allow editing of the apps. But, I'm waiting on Docs to Go for the editing feature.

But, the point is, iPhone does have mass storage, just not using USB. It uses WiFi instead.

In fact, most 3rd party apps that uses sync to desktop for iPhone uses WiFi instead of USB. Two examples that I use are Splashmoney and eWallet. Both of these sync quite fast over WiFi.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Sprint confirmed Telenav (as well as Sprint TV, Nascar, & NFL apps) during their webinar on 3/12. If you're looking specifically for confirmation on the Navigation app (which I'll admit I'm assuming is Telenav, since that's the app used almost universally by Sprint), check out the following YouTube link:
    The Navigation app is confirmed around the 27 second mark.

As for the battery & camera... Precentral.net actually posted several useful articles on these (and other Pre topics) early on... here's some of them:

On the battery: http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-b...ah-same-centro

On the camera: http://www.precentral.net/looking-forward-pre-camera

Other points of note:

On board memory (RAM): The Pre has 256Mb of on board RAM: http://www.precentral.net/sprint-roa...specs-revealed VS. iPhone w/ 128Mb of on board RAM (I read that somewhere, but I admit I'm no iPhone expert can someone else confirm that?)

CPU: The Pre uses a TI ARM Cortex A8-based OMAP 3430 processor, which supports features like: FAST boot times in as little as 4 seconds, Up to 4x graphical performance, Up to 2x camera performance improvements (The chip in the Palm Pre supports up to a 12 megapixel camera.. although as I noted it's only a 3.2 megapixel), Up to 4x video performance (offering support for 720p HD video). VS. The iPhone which uses the S-GOLD3H chip... which uses an ARM processor as well (I think the ARM926) ... according to the TI press release the OMAP 3430 is supposed to be "three times faster than the ARM11 core" so how much faster is it than the ARM9 core? Here's some more info on the OMAP 3430 used in the Pre here: http://www.precentral.net/palm-pres-processor-fast

Browser: While both the Pre and the iPhone use webkit browsers, the Pre's browser seems to be a more advanced & faster browser. During the Sprint/Pre webinar on 3/12 the Pre loaded a live webpage in 8 seconds and for comparison one viewer launched the same webpage on an iPhone 3G took almost 30 seconds. It was a live webpage so I doubt it was pre-canned HOWEVER some people have speculated that maybe the page was cached in the Pre browser. No one knows for sure (except the people at Sprint and Palm... and they aren't talking) if the page was actually loading that fast, OR if the page was cached in the Pre browser... either way though... fast loading or page caching represents a significant improvement over the iPhone and Mobile Safari. Check it out: http://www.precentral.net/pre-browse...-faster-iphone
    Last edited by WMicke; 03/19/2009 at 01:54 PM.
    Sprint confirmed Telenav (as well as Sprint TV, Nascar, & NFL apps) during their webinar on 3/12. ]
    Yes but there is quite a large number of location based services and apps for iphone.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Yes but there is quite a large number of location based services and apps for iphone.
    I agree. While I don't own an iPhone myself, I have several friends that own them, and I've spent quite a bit of time playing with the iPhone, so I'm well aware of the many location based apps available. HOWEVER I was specifically referring to Turn-By-Turn navigation applications (like Telenav) which will be free on the Pre (or more accurately the software will be included for free, and the service will be included free with any of Sprints "everything" data plans)... So far Apple does NOT have any Turn-By-Turn software avaialable for the iPhone, and while the API's needed to create this software are going to be available in iPhone OS 3.0, iPhone owners will still need to PURCHASE their Turn-By-Turn applications seperately, and may even have to purchase subscription based "map packs" (as mentioned in the iPhone OS 3.0 news conference) for their software for different local areas around the country.

In short, while the feature/service will definitely be available in iPhone OS 3.0, I think the Telenav package offered by Sprint w/ the Palm Pre will definitely be a better/cheaper/easier option for most users (and I wouldn't be surprised if more nav/Location apps are eventually developed for the Pre as well).
    In short, while the feature/service will definitely be available in iPhone OS 3.0, I think the Telenav package offered by Sprint w/ the Palm Pre will definitely be a better/cheaper/easier option for most users (and I wouldn't be surprised if more nav/Location apps are eventually developed for the Pre as well).

How can you make the assumption that Telenav will be better on a device that hasn't been released yet compared to a device that doesn't support Turn by Turn yet?
    Navigation is included with the Simply Everything plans. They couldn't require and SE plan and then exclude navigation.
    This plan includes

* Unlimited data: Web surfing, email, BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS), GPS Navigation, Music Premier, TV Premier, NFL Mobile Live, NASCAR Sprint Cup MobileSM
    * Unlimited Direct Connect: Direct Connect and Group Connect (for capable phones)
    * Unlimited messaging: Text, pictures and video
    * Unlimited talk: Unlimited anytime minutes, nationwide long distance and no roaming charges
    And the Pre doesn't not have USB Host support. It has MSC support. It is seen as an external hard drive. You cannot connect a hard drive, flash drive, camera or whatever to it and have it be seen or used on the Pre.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    How can you make the assumption that Telenav will be better on a device that hasn't been released yet compared to a device that doesn't support Turn by Turn yet?
    I'm making that assumption because I am already familiar with Telenav software and Sprint Telenav service. I use both the service and the software on my current Sprint phone. I do admit it's impossible to draw a complete comparison between a known service/software running on a phone that hasn't been released, and a totally (as yet) unknown service/software (although I'll be shocked if companies like Garmin, and Telenav aren't ready with a product right away when iPhone OS 3.0 goes live) on a phone that is released (but has yet to implement any Turn-By-Turn support).

However, I think it's is fairly reasonable to say that the Sprint/Telenav service will be a plus for the Pre to most users, given that the service and software are known quantities, and work quite well. Moreover, my main point was that the service and software are going to be free on the Pre, whereas iPhone users will need to purchase their software (and possibly even additional map pack subscriptions) once the iPhone OS 3.0 is released. Perhaps once the Pre is released and iPhone OS 3.0 is released the products will be virtually identical (and who knows maybe there will even be some superior software available at additional cost, for power users in the iPhone app store, but as I noted there also might be more advanced software developed for the Pre eventually too). Once again though, I submit that for the average user, a free service that is proven and works well, will beat a service that they have to pay for.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Navigation is included with the Simply Everything plans. They couldn't require and SE plan and then exclude navigation.

And the Pre doesn't not have USB Host support. It has MSC support. It is seen as an external hard drive. You cannot connect a hard drive, flash drive, camera or whatever to it and have it be seen or used on the Pre.
    Sorry, thanks for that. I was thinking of being used as a mass storage drive and for whatever reason USB host came to my fingers. I'll go update my post to reflect that
    Camera: The Pre camera, I read that it was actually a 3.2 MP autofocusing camera w/ built in software image processing. VS. the iPhone which is a 2 MP fixed focus camera w/o any image processing built in (although there might be some apps to support this available via the app store).

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Great post!, Where can I read more of these? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    Somehow I missed WMicke's post altogether. I just read through it and will try to make a few updates to the original post, but will need to mull over how best to integrate some of those things, so I probably won't get to that till later. In the mean time, can you provide more support for the camera info as well as the info regarding Telenav coming in-box and not having any additional charges associated with it?
    I believe admin ronbo2000 was being ironic. The Pre camera is not autofocus, and to this amateur photographer that is a disappointment. Palm should have included an autofocus lens in the Pre IMO. Many new phones have it (BB Curve) and there is nothing forward looking about another fixed focus camera in the Pre.

A marketing hack did come up with a very clever term for Palm, "software focus". It's a lie, as post-processing can only over-sharpen a blurry picture, not bring it into focus after the fact.

I'm hoping Apple will give the 3.0 hardware iteration an autofocus camera. It will be a big plus for me.
    Last edited by galavanter; 03/19/2009 at 03:23 PM.
    I love Sprint Nav (Tel Nav), it runs super-well, even on my outdated Curve. I can't wait to see how pretty the Sprint Nav interface will be on the Pre. As far as the camera goes, I'll be super happy with 3mp's. I'm not a huge picture taker, but I got a really good feeling it will take much better pics than my Curve. (Which the Curve pics aren't all that shabby)

I suppose comparing the Curve to the Pre is like comparing a Commadore64 to a Dual Core computer. But hey, it's all I got to work with at the moment.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    I believe admin ronbo2000 was being ironic. The Pre camera is not autofocus, and to this amateur photographer that is a disappointment. Palm should have included an autofocus lens in the Pre IMO.
    Okay, time to man up and admit that my info might have been wrong here. I listed the Pre as auto-focus because when I read through the article on the camera it talked about the amazing image processing software from DxO Labs, and on the feature list it included "Auto-focus, Zoom, Strobe, Shutter control" However, I realize that may have been more a feature of their (DxO Labs) software, rather than something actually included in the Pre itself. So far nothing on either the Sprint of Palm websites lists auto-focus (granted they also don't deny it either... but I think in this case the silence is more damning).

However, that said it DOES still look like a pretty nice camera, and for some users, the ability to upload directly to the web will be a nice (can the iPhone do that too? I have no idea) feature too.

In addition to the article I already linked, here is another article on the Pre's camera: Palm Pre Camera - Going the Extra Mile | Palm WebOS Blog
    However, I think it's is fairly reasonable to say that the Sprint/Telenav service will be a plus for the Pre to most users, given that the service and software are known quantities, and work quite well. .
    Hey I agree. Of course this is a iphone v pre thread and I am not an iphone aficionado myself, I prefer WM, where of course one has the choice between telanev and full standalone programs like Garmin, iguidance or navigon, which will unlike telenav, work everywhere independent of the sprint signal.

I would add it is not a known whether telnave will be "free" on the pre for all users. most sprint users are not on everything plans, and everything plans involve a significant price increase for people on older data included plans, especially family plans (and I am not talking about sero)
    Remains to be seen what effect a lack of multitasking has on the iphone too when using a turn by turn app. I really think they'll knock it out of the park with hardware next summer (not this one) along with multitasking.

Palm has time but the launch is just the beginning.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I would add it is not a known whether telnave will be "free" on the pre for all users. most sprint users are not on everything plans, and everything plans involve a significant price increase for people on older data included plans, especially family plans (and I am not talking about sero)
    I agree that nothing is known for certain until the Pre launches (which is at least part of the reason I hate waiting... I want to know NOW dammit).

But the Sprint/telenav package is included as a basic feature of the "everything" data plans (like Crogs571 pointed out earlier) and Sprint has already announced that an "everything" plan will be required for people who purchase the Pre (much like they did when they launched the Instinct, and much like AT&T announced special data plans for people who purchased iPhones):

This plan includes

* Unlimited data: Web surfing, email, BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS), GPS Navigation, Music Premier, TV Premier, NFL Mobile Live, NASCAR Sprint Cup MobileSM
    * Unlimited Direct Connect: Direct Connect and Group Connect (for capable phones)
    * Unlimited messaging: Text, pictures and video
    * Unlimited talk: Unlimited anytime minutes, nationwide long distance and no roaming charges
    LOL... Having said that though, I do think you have a good point when it comes to the usefulness of downloaded maps that aren't dependent on the Sprint signal. I love Telenav and I've generally been very happy with the service through Sprint, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that there are indeed times when it'd be nice to have the maps on my phone rather than needing to download them from Sprint. IDK once again it's a trade off... the services for the iPhone will have to be paid for (perhaps even multiple times if the providers sell map packs through the new subscription service), and any downloaded content will take up space on the phone itself (unlike Telenav which only downloads the info for the route you're taking and keeps it on your phone only until you exit the app), but on the plus side, that content is yours and will be useable at times & places when Sprint service might not be available.

I'm still going to stick w/ my original point though, and say that for the average user, the Sprint/Telenav combo, included on the Pre for free will be a better value.
    Last edited by WMicke; 03/19/2009 at 03:57 PM.
    I rely on GPS every night for my job. I use Mapquest Navigator on my BB. 5 bucks a month with voice prompts (a must have). It allows me to search contacts (hundreds of them) and gets me there. Only once or twice in over a year has the network been down and inconvenienced me.

I really don't care about the cost. I want the best program. I don't like how MN changes the route without asking me if it determines traffic is an issue. I pull a hazmat tanker and can't drive it around like a taxi.

Getting a call or making one is no problem with MN and my BB. That's all I ask. I guess having everything loaded on the phone and not worrying about a network connection would be better.

It really is turning into a contest for me between the iPhone and the Pre. Summer will be interesting. A couple of years from now even more so.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast