Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    10. Real kb. Even the apple execs couldn't type without making errors in their 3.0 demo.

9. Unobtrusive notifications. Expect apple's latest OS to bombard the user with annoying popups that disturbs whatever you're doing more than ever.

8. No nickel and diming. If you buy an iphone, apple views you as a tool to throw ads at. They've encouraged app makers to do the same now.

7. Universal search. Apple's won't anticipate that you want to do a web search.

6. Multitasking. Apple can't do this without making all users upgrade to newer hardware. Even so, it'd take a lot of doing.

5. Replaceable battery. Nuff said.

4. Cool accessories. Touchstone...nuff said. Iphone? They're demoing the iphone running medical equipment..lol

3. Synergy. Apple still can't figure out it needs all in one messaging, email, contacts and calendars that flow together.

2. Price. Sprint's plans are cheaper, include unlimited text, and the gap widens the more minutes you get.

1. Perception. If you get an iphone, you'll be perceived as a noob by other smartphone users. In business, you'll be looked down on having a kiddie phone. The Pre's looks puts the iphone to shame.

Expect the Pre to catch up quickly with useful 3rd party apps. In addition, it'll be interesting to see what else Palm has cooking that it hasn't unveiled.
    Thanks for posting this. Has some helpful info for me.
    1. Not made by Apple.

2. Has nothing to do with Apple.

3. Bold enough to say "whatever" to Apple's multitouch, and use it anyways.

4. Will directly steal some of Apple's consumer base.

5. Will hurt Apple fanboy's feelings.

6. We'll never see psychedelic dancing shadows or lame piano music in their advertisements.

7. There will be no Pre touch.

8. Steve Jobs will secretely have a Pre stashed in his desk.

9. The Pre won't look like a miniature serving tray.

10. My little neo-hippie iPhone owning friends will have NOTHING to brag about. Losers.

Palm FTW!!!
    11. Choice of apps. You don't have to jailbreak your device, and you control it.

12. Pre hardware has more horsepower. More RAM. A gesture area so you don't need to touch the screen as much. Better camera.

13. You can insure your Pre with Sprint.
    Another reason is that its not Apple!

I believe there's a large group of people who will not buy into the whole iPhone experience. Some of the reasons are that they have to much control over appls, accessories (auth chip in cables), not seen as a serious smartphone, and they are perceived as a arrogant company.

The Pre is not the iphone killer, its the anti-iphone - a great option for people who do not way to buy an iphone!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    14. All the Pretentious, overbearing, hyper fanboy-ism without having to buy a laptop or PC of the same brand
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    10. Real kb. Even the apple execs couldn't type without making errors in their 3.0 demo.

9. Unobtrusive notifications. Expect apple's latest OS to bombard the user with annoying popups that disturbs whatever you're doing more than ever.

8. No nickel and diming. If you buy an iphone, apple views you as a tool to throw ads at. They've encouraged app makers to do the same now.

7. Universal search. Apple's won't anticipate that you want to do a web search.

6. Multitasking. Apple can't do this without making all users upgrade to newer hardware. Even so, it'd take a lot of doing.

5. Replaceable battery. Nuff said.

4. Cool accessories. Touchstone...nuff said. Iphone? They're demoing the iphone running medical equipment..lol

3. Synergy. Apple still can't figure out it needs all in one messaging, email, contacts and calendars that flow together.

2. Price. Sprint's plans are cheaper, include unlimited text, and the gap widens the more minutes you get.

1. Perception. If you get an iphone, you'll be perceived as a noob by other smartphone users. In business, you'll be looked down on having a kiddie phone. The Pre's looks puts the iphone to shame.

Expect the Pre to catch up quickly with useful 3rd party apps. In addition, it'll be interesting to see what else Palm has cooking that it hasn't unveiled.
    You reason number "1" invalidates you whole list. Just ridiculous.
    Zyphlin LMAO! True. I don't need to buy a laptop to be a complete jerk! Good point.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    1. Multitasking. The iPhone can only do a poor man's mimic of it with music and notifactions.

2. Notification area. The ability to get notifications without it completely interupting you is blissfully useful.

3. Synergy. The flexability this gives is incredibly nice. All in one messaging, calenders pulled down from other places. Very nice.

4. Physical Keyboard. This is a benefit and would likely be number 1 if Palm didn't take a page out of Apple's book by "knowing better than us" about what we want and not including a on screen keyboard.

5. Universal Search. While Apple's isn't bad, Palm's is a step beyond with its easy of access and integration with the web.

6. Replacable Battery. Huge if you need it.

7. Seemingly more open community with developers and the ability to get things other than through an app store.

8. Facebook intigration. FB seems to be, or has, overtaken MySpace as THE social network and the close working relationship between it and the Palm will be a bonus in trying to attract the fat middle.

9. Touch Area. A very interesting design concept that maximizes the smaller screen of the Pre for viewing of content.

10. Smaller sized device

In regards to the other things you mentioned.

Nickel and Diming. Frankly, the things they showed seemed to be there for more the purpose of presenting the API than how they actually feel every program should work. They also said free programs would not use the "add on for money" type pop ups. While this feature could get abused, it also has potential to be a useful tool for upgrading content without having to go through the app store.

Accessories, I'm sorry but to list this in any way shape or form as a bonus of the Pre over the iPhone boggles my mind. Touchstone is extremely neat. And so is....um....well....oh right, that's the only really major accessory. Where as the iPhone has dozens of interesting TYPES, with numerous thigns of each type. Sorry, at the moment, this is not a "pro" of the Pre over the iPhone by anyone looking at this objectively.

Price, we need to see what Sprint will release it at. The plans look better priced than AT&T but the phone cost is a part of "price". I think the Pre will likely come up ahead on this one.

Perception. Wow, what a biased, completely non-objective load of bull that was. Oh noes, the smart phone users may think you're a "noob". Were you a long time POS user? If so, I'm sure one of your reasons for a WinMo phone over the POS was because they looked at POS people are "noobs" due to the simplistic OS. And the WM crowd for the most part doesn't seem to jazzed about the complexities and might of the Pre, so I guess this should be a bonus for why to go with a Diamond2 over a Pre, because the "smartphone crowd" won't think you just a noob latching onto the "new hotness. Do you have some kind of physical data concerning the "look down upon in the office" stuff in regards to the iPhone, cause I've seen numerous people in my office building having one with no such views being spoken.
    This whole Synergy thing I just don't understand. Why would anybody keep their business calendar and personal calendar in separate locations?

I admit I use outlook in a professional environment. I keep all contacts, notes, and calendar in the same application. What is the advantage to not doing this?
    "1. Perception. If you get an iphone, you'll be perceived as a noob by other smartphone users. In business, you'll be looked down on having a kiddie phone. The Pre's looks puts the iphone to shame."

I think that is true up to a point. Where I work now everyone has a BB and the few that have iPhones are sometimes kidded for using it.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    But do you think a phone who has a selling point that "You're contacts pictures and information can come straight down from facebook!" is going to somehow be leaps and bounds more "professional" feeling and not looked at as somewhat "kid like" in a similar regard as the iPhone?
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    "1. Perception. If you get an iphone, you'll be perceived as a noob by other smartphone users. In business, you'll be looked down on having a kiddie phone. The Pre's looks puts the iphone to shame."

I think that is true up to a point. Where I work now everyone has a BB and the few that have iPhones are sometimes kidded for using it.
    I work for a fortune 500 company that is primarily blackberry users. We get more calls each month for employees requesting a new iPhone than any other phone by far.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    This whole Synergy thing I just don't understand. Why would anybody keep their business calendar and personal calendar in separate locations?

I admit I use outlook in a professional environment. I keep all contacts, notes, and calendar in the same application. What is the advantage to not doing this?
    Do you use an IM application to email? Do you use Facebook to SMS? It's about messaging just as much if not more than calendars. That's simply a value add (I don't keep separate calendars, either) for some folks.
    "I work for a fortune 500 company that is primarily blackberry users. We get more calls each month for employees requesting a new iPhone than any other phone by far. "

I'm not saying I 100% agree with it, but it does happen. By the way, I'm at a fortune 100 company.
    I don't think his Perception point was completely invalid either. Maybe a bit presumptuous, but not totally invalid.

I know that iPhone's are slightly frowned upon in some business circles. If you don't have a BB or a Treo then you do get picked on a bit. The iPhone kind of has the "toy" reputation.
    I need to get this off my chest, I like the iPhone. I think it is an extremely nifty device with a VERY clean UI. I've played with many in my day. I am not a fan of AT&T or Apple though. So when I started researching the Pre I got EXTREMELY stoked that a phone would be coming to my carrier that would beat the snot out of the iPhone. So yeah. But I need to tone down the iPhone crap-talk. Because I do actually like the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I don't think his Perception point was completely invalid either. Maybe a bit presumptuous, but not totally invalid.

I know that iPhone's are slightly frowned upon in some business circles. If you don't have a BB or a Treo then you do get picked on a bit. The iPhone kind of has the "toy" reputation.
    I need to get this off my chest, I like the iPhone. I think it is an extremely nifty device with a VERY clean UI. I've played with many in my day. I am not a fan of AT&T or Apple though. So when I started researching the Pre I got EXTREMELY stoked that a phone would be coming to my carrier that would beat the snot out of the iPhone. So yeah. But I need to tone down the iPhone crap-talk. Because I do actually like the device.
    My company will not allow new Palm purchases for the last few years now. I know our Sprint rep is trying to change that for the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Do you use an IM application to email? Do you use Facebook to SMS? It's about messaging just as much if not more than calendars. That's simply a value add (I don't keep separate calendars, either) for some folks.
    I guess. But most of the time I want to IM somebody I just go into my IM app. Being able to now do it directly from the contacts list is nice, but my brain will need to be re-trained. Not sure if it's such a huge advantage.
  19.    #19  
    Well of course, perceptions will vary with each business. Mine's just more conservative than average. CPA firm with some older partners. If it don't have a kb..its useless
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I guess. But most of the time I want to IM somebody I just go into my IM app. Being able to now do it directly from the contacts list is nice, but my brain will need to be re-trained. Not sure if it's such a huge advantage.
    The point is that you won't have to train at all. The messaging and email in WebOS are simply extensions of each other and of the contacts. They are nigh seamless.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast