8.Unobtrusive Notifications

9.HTML Support

10.Removable Battery
    Last edited by gbp; 03/20/2009 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Format
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think i posted previously that it was just a playful jab at iphone users. :P

That said, there's an element of truth to it based on my experience in a few small firms.

Where are these devices you speak of? Do you not realize palm will update webOS on an ongoing basis? That a Pre2 would most likely be out in four quarters?

No kidding a new device is likely to have bugs. My iphone still has bugs or safari wouldn't crash on a daily basis and it wouldn't have the lag it does.

Do you realize iphone's new 3.0 will be buggy and be crying for a 3.1 update?

Palm is missing some serious apps? Which ones? Which would you say are serious? Lighten up Francis Heck, i've already said apple is missing some serious apps....

There's also plenty of people who are excited about the Pre who quite frankly are sick and tired of hearing how great apple is or how palm must avoid apple at all costs. I make a few jabs and the apple patrol is on the case.

@Outrigger I'll have to take your word for it. Truthfully, i don't even consider BB relevant enough to visit their forums or even want to consider the type of person who'd be a BB fanboy. They're strictly corporate email phones and don't interest me in the least.
    I'd rather use a palm OS or WM over a Blackberry.

Bottom line, these are the Pre forums. Expect a bit of bias. I really thought it was understood that this thread was going to be a little lighthearted and the number one spot in top 10's is usually reserved for something perhaps a little silly?

The notion that WebOS is untested is bull. When APPLE released iPhone it was untested too. But it didn't stop the enthusiasm.
    Heck they are doing "THE TESTING" of WebOS now.
    Bugs will always be there but how much of them are serious threat to the product is the key.

I will have to agree with you on Blackberry, to me they are just a phone with a nice keyboard. The notion of BES and getting faster email is trashed by Microsoft Push and others. BB days will be numbered once WinMo 6.5 becomes available. BB needs a decent browser first.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    BB days will be numbered once WinMo 6.5 becomes available. BB needs a decent browser first.
    not in the corporate world. Many companies have to much invested on BES infrastructure. Plus device support and costs are huge corporate advantages for BB.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    not in the corporate world. Many companies have to much invested on BES infrastructure. Plus device support and costs are huge corporate advantages for BB.
    hmm precisely why I said that , you don't need a BES for email purposes anymore. About eight years back it was the only game in the show.

For the likes of few in this forum who are know it all naysayers, check this link
    for details

BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) - What Is It? | CrackBerry.com

and then check the below how MS does it

New Mobility Features in Exchange Server 2003 SP2

Read the "Exchange Direct Push Technology "

Microsoft is even marketing the savings of using WinMo over BB.

BB's only strength is the keyboard. They better start working on their OS to catchup with the rest.

They do not have a decent browser. Their UI is not simplistic. They need either a trackball or the keyboard to navigate between APPS.
    Their tried the touch screen with STORM. We all know what happened to that. STORM should be sent the astronauts in space station for its space age technology
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Back to the Pre thing,

Pre does have decent spec on each individual component except the processor.
    But its a overall champ.

Its got a 3 MP camera as opposed to 2 Mp for Iphone ( of course there are phones with 8 MP cameras).

Its got a 3 inch screen as opposed to 3.5 on iPhone ( sure there are phones with 3.8 and even 4 inch screens , check them at HTC HTC - Products - HTC Touch HD - Specification or SHARP's Incredible XGA Touchscreen Phone From Sharp!)

Its got a multitasking system iPhone doesn't have ( Sure Winmo and other have it).

The list goes on.

The way to put the comparison is
    Ask yourself a question " I want a phone that has a keyboard , removable battery , nice screen so that I can browse the net , and a solid browser which can be zoomed with my two fingers . Plus I don't want to loose information in the apps while I am switching between calls and browsing"

The answer is "PALM Pre".
    Last edited by gbp; 03/20/2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: typo
    Back to the Pre thing,

But its a overall champ.

Its got a 3 MP camera as opposed to 2 Mp for Iphone ( of course there are phones with 8 MP cameras).

Its got a 3 inch screen as opposed to 3.5 on iPhone ( sure there are phones with 3.8 and even 4 inch screens , check them at HTC HTC - Products - HTC Touch HD - Specification or SHARP's Incredible XGA Touchscreen Phone From Sharp!)

Its got a multitasking system iPhone doesn't have ( Sure Winmo and other have it).

The list goes on.

Ask yourself a question " I want a phone that has a keyboard , removable battery , nice screen so that I can browse the net , and a solid browser which can be zoomed with my two fingers . Plus I don't want to loose information in the apps while I am switching between calls and browsing"

hmm, my iPhone....... "has a keyboard, nice screen so I can browse the nest, a solid browser which can be zoomed with my two fingers. Plus I dont lose information in apps while I am switching between calls and browsing"

how is any of this a Pre advantage?
    Back to the Pre thing,

Sorry, can't let this stand. The Pre's processor is a big part of why it's such a great device. It's pretty much the most powerful thing out there at the moment.

Palm Pre Processor check it out! @ Mobility Today

That's a very specific need that your imaginary person has stated, but I'd argue that many people may *not* want some of what you've indicated. For example, someone may understandably want not just a keyboard (you didn't indicate a physical keyboard, so I'm going to exploit that hole and include virtual and physical keyboards), but also want a keyboard that works in either landscape or portrait mode. The Pre can't do that, but the iPhone, Storm (I think), WM devices (via various 3rd party software options), and Android phones (with the latest - possibly still unreleased? - OS version).

Someone (like me) also may say, I don't like having to pinch/pull to zoom in/out. I'd rather: a) Have a browser that doesn't require zooming (the super-high-res Sony WM phone can do that, and the upcoming Sidekick with its rumored 800-pixel-wide screen will be able to do that, and all of our older smartphones that simply reformat pages to fit onto a more mobile-optimized format can do that), or b) Allows some other method of zooming in/out (e.g., Android). And I'll just add that the pinch/pull method will be a little less accurate on the Pre as compared to the iPhone due to the Pre's smaller screen.

Many others would also not state the removable battery as a must-have, so long as the device has "good enough" battery life.

And, in the end, a lot of what someone thinks is a "must have" need, ends up going out the window if they like the overall package, even if it didn't have one or two of their supposed requirements.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Sorry, can't let this stand. The Pre's processor is a big part of why it's such a great device. It's pretty much the most powerful thing out there at the moment.

Palm Pre Processor check it out! @ Mobility Today

Typo

My bad, my bad its the other way around

"PRE DOESN'T HAVE THE BEST SPEC ON ANY INDIVIDUAL COMPONENT EXCEPT FOR THE PROCESSOR"
    Typo

My bad, my bad its the other way around

"PRE DOESN'T HAVE THE BEST SPEC ON ANY INDIVIDUAL COMPONENT EXCEPT FOR THE PROCESSOR"
    Ah, yes, now I understand your statement.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post

And, in the end, a lot of what someone thinks is a "must have" need, ends up going out the window if they like the overall package, even if it didn't have one or two of their supposed requirements.
    You summed up it there.

Please do not bring the Storm
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    hmm, my iPhone....... "has a keyboard, nice screen so I can browse the nest, a solid browser which can be zoomed with my two fingers. Plus I dont lose information in apps while I am switching between calls and browsing"

how is any of this a Pre advantage?
    I mean a physical keyboard , but hey if you are happy with iPhone there is no reason for buying Pre.

For majority of the folks in this forum , SPRINT is the provider. For them Pre does what iPhone can do ( I wouldn't dare to say its a poor man's iPhone because its not , its iPhone with a physical keyboard ).
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Did we mention monthly cost yet in this discussion?

Sprint: Sprint's Everything with Data plan is $69.99 for 450 minutes and unlimited EVDO 3G, unlimited text, picture and video messages, turn-by-turn navigation, mobile to mobile, 7'oclock nights and free live TV. (You can shave $10 off that and get 50 more minutes if you do some looking around the web)

AT&T: To get a comparable package from AT&T will an iPhone it's $39.99 for 450 minutes, $30 for unlimited data and another $20 for unlimited texting... total $89.99!

So with the discounted Sprint plan (Everything Referral) you can save $30 per month + tax in bills, equaling $360+tax per year PLUS get additional services like navigation, live TV etc. compared to AT&T.
    IFor majority of the folks in this forum , SPRINT is the provider.
    they have an exclusive therefor that is a tautology. For the majority of potential customers sprint is a turn off. I am not saying that is correct feeling toward sprint, but it is a broadly held opinion.
    I dont think the Sprint exclusive period will be in years (like ATT\iPhone), rumor is that its only 6 months.
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    but it is a broadly held opinion.
    by whom ?
    please change the is = was

Currently that opinion is on ATT, I know you want an objective, specific, fact based discussion, check the latest speeds on gizmodo 3G tests and the most recent customer service ratings for SPRINT.

I remember SPRINT saying they sold many instincts but never released the number.
    My feeling is that Pre will probably increase revenues two folds.
    Bringing new customers from T Mobile and Verizon plus get more revenue from the existing customers by way of selling SE plans or the data connection.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Also , if this Pre thing takes off like crazy , issues with SPRINT will be a distant memory for general public.

I remember Cingular had ( still having) issues in parts of the country prior to ATT merger. For about a year or so after the iPhone launch , I have not seen any 3G coverage (or that 2.5G coverage) issues. Now I call few folks in California , they have to stay in the place they are till the call gets completed.
  18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    they have an exclusive therefor that is a tautology. For the majority of potential customers sprint is a turn off. I am not saying that is correct feeling toward sprint, but it is a broadly held opinion.
    Aren't we exaggerating a bit there? Why is sprint a turn off to some? Because they lacked a killer phone which the Pre will be.

Being able to save 30-70 a month and have better 3g service isn't a turn off though.

Besides most who buy a Pre will already be with Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Aren't we exaggerating a bit there? Why is sprint a turn off to some? Because they lacked a killer phone which the Pre will be.

Being able to save 30-70 a month and have better 3g service isn't a turn off though.

Besides most who buy a Pre will already be with Sprint.
    its a turn off to me because where I live their service is terrible. But I understand that other people have different results.

Plus, I need a phone I can use in the UK.
    Back to the Pre thing,

But its a overall champ.

The list goes on.

I have had a few apps startup from scratch after a call came in, but I have never lost anything when a call comes in. It appears that any app that requires typing of keeping data alive does not start from scratch after a phone call. It returns to the place I was at after the call.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234