Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 80
  1. ksom's Avatar
    Posts
    355 Posts
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    This whole Synergy thing I just don't understand. Why would anybody keep their business calendar and personal calendar in separate locations?

    I admit I use outlook in a professional environment. I keep all contacts, notes, and calendar in the same application. What is the advantage to not doing this?
    Well, you may change your job, but you don't change your friends, hopefully not.

    Personally I don't see any big IT department would jump on Pre. BB still rules in the business world. But synergy is good for people have so many different accounts. 2 years after iphone is out, it is still not catching on in the business. One can say that's because of the iphone itself, but I think the bigger issue is that IT department wants control on devices they support. They don't want people get a device that can be customized or changed a lot.

    Synergy is more valuable for small businesses, who don't want to mix personal information with business information, but still want to access them quickly.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
  2. #42  
    Having played with an iPhone for a month, I must say syncing contacts and calender with the iPhone is a huge issue. I don't know if anyone realizes that the iPhone will wipe out ALL your contacts and calender that were on the phone if you decide to sync with Exchange Server. Then, if for some reason you have to switch the address of the Exchange server, the iPhone wipes out ALL your contacts and calender again and replaces all your information. Ofcourse, I'm not using Mobile Me.

    I've since gave the iPhone to my wife after jailbreaking it, and she loves it because she can show pictures of our kids to her friends with that big screen. She uses the iPhone to make phone calls and show pictures which is great for her. I got myself a Palm Pro and am waiting for the Pre to come out.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Excoriar View Post
    I've since gave the iPhone to my wife after jailbreaking it, and she loves it because she can show pictures of our kids to her friends with that big screen. She uses the iPhone to make phone calls and show pictures which is great for her. I got myself a Palm Pro and am waiting for the Pre to come out.
    Why did you have to jailbreak to show pictures?
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

    Sprint customer since 2001
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    Personally I don't see any big IT department would jump on Pre. BB still rules in the business world. But synergy is good for people have so many different accounts. 2 years after iphone is out, it is still not catching on in the business.
    I woudl say you didn't see iphone the first year but now you see a lot on enterprise
  5. #45  
    I like this thread. I got some laughs from it! I would maybe/possibly/potentially only get an iPhone if Palm had nothing else better out there for the next few years. I've been wanting a new Treo with a better web browser, so hopefully the Pre will deliver. As for Apple, my only disclosure is that I personally own Apple stock for its investment value, but I don't care for any Apple products whatsoever (no Macs, iPhone, iTunes, iPod, etc).
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
  6. #46  
    its also funny to see Palm fanboys calling iphone users Apple fanboys. I'm sure there are more than 10 reasons to pick Pre over Iphone 3.0, but there are just as many reasons to pick Iphone 3.0 over the Pre.

    Its all personal preference and to say someone that uses the iphone as a hipster or just wants to be cool or are not professional is probably the most ridicuous thing I have ever heard.

    What the OP says about Apple, Blackberry users have been saying about Palm users for years... who's right? If this isn't a prime example of the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is...

    People use what suits them, whats wrong with that?
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    1. Perception. If you get an iphone, you'll be perceived as a noob by other
    That is an amazing comment and not really supported.

    If so, you will be perceived as noob with the pre a few months after it relases due to advances in other devices as well.

    Pre is missing some serious applications and won't have them for quite some time until it gets a big user footprint.

    there are plenty of us who are excited about the pre but are not taking a extreme fanboy attitude .I think your list sets yo up for a huge disappointment.

    Do you realize how likely it is a device with a untested OS is to have bugs -- including very serious ones?

    Do you realize how quickly things move in this business and how devices that blow the pre away are also on stream to come uot soon and in the next four quarters?

    Apple fanboys annoy me to. I have used iphone and am not overly impressed, but I think you are loading too much on the pre there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    its also funny to see Palm fanboys calling iphone users Apple fanboys. I'm sure there are more than 10 reasons to pick Pre over Iphone 3.0, but there are just as many reasons to pick Iphone 3.0 over the Pre.

    What the OP says about Apple, Blackberry users have been saying about Palm users for years... who's right? If this isn't a prime example of the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is...
    sage perspective
  8.    #48  
    I think i posted previously that it was just a playful jab at iphone users. :P

    That said, there's an element of truth to it based on my experience in a few small firms.

    Where are these devices you speak of? Do you not realize palm will update webOS on an ongoing basis? That a Pre2 would most likely be out in four quarters?

    No kidding a new device is likely to have bugs. My iphone still has bugs or safari wouldn't crash on a daily basis and it wouldn't have the lag it does.

    Do you realize iphone's new 3.0 will be buggy and be crying for a 3.1 update?

    Palm is missing some serious apps? Which ones? Which would you say are serious? Lighten up Francis Heck, i've already said apple is missing some serious apps....

    There's also plenty of people who are excited about the Pre who quite frankly are sick and tired of hearing how great apple is or how palm must avoid apple at all costs. I make a few jabs and the apple patrol is on the case.

    @Outrigger I'll have to take your word for it. Truthfully, i don't even consider BB relevant enough to visit their forums or even want to consider the type of person who'd be a BB fanboy. They're strictly corporate email phones and don't interest me in the least.
    I'd rather use a palm OS or WM over a Blackberry.

    Bottom line, these are the Pre forums. Expect a bit of bias. I really thought it was understood that this thread was going to be a little lighthearted and the number one spot in top 10's is usually reserved for something perhaps a little silly?
    Last edited by cardfan; 03/19/2009 at 03:29 PM.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I make a few jabs and the apple patrol is on the case.
    The point is the people who find your list perplexing are not the "apple patrol" and such swiped just blow your credibility and the idea that your list is sober. I don't have an iphone! I have WM devices. but I have been given iphones to use with large enterprise company contract employment, as well as BB and WM devices.

    It isn't the iphone patrol it is the many members of the "credibility patrol "including long time palm buyers that are calling your assertions to question.

    It isn't a question of the blind bias toward the pre you think belongs here, it is a question of being serious about weighing the pros and cons.

    The fact is there are powerful features on other devices that the pre doesn't have and there are much more powerful devices coming on as well.

    Right now the pre is speced lower than a lot of the competion in its class, there are phones with screens that blow Pre's away for example.
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    The point is the people who find your list perplexing are not the "apple patrol" and such swiped just blow your credibility and the idea that your list is sober. I don't have an iphone! I have WM devices. but I have been given iphones to use with large enterprise company contract employment, as well as BB and WM devices.

    It isn't the iphone patrol it is the many members of the "credibility patrol "including long time palm buyers that are calling your assertions to question.

    It isn't a question of the blind bias toward the pre you think belongs here, it is a question of being serious about weighing the pros and cons.

    The fact is there are powerful features on other devices that the pre doesn't have and there are much more powerful devices coming on as well.

    Right now the pre is speced lower than a lot of the competion in its class, there are phones with screens that blow Pre's away for example.
    Long time palm buyers? I see some of the usual apple drones making a few comments and perhaps one or two others. Nothing too damaging. It was a thread more in fun.

    Besides i can easily defend my positions if i wanted to. I don't feel the need to turn this into a flame fest but try to keep it lighthearted.

    Still, you need to name your phones that are specced higher. Last i checked, the Pre had a pretty good processor and a good amount of memory. Storage is not a huge factor for a device that is only intended to be capable of playing media but i expect even that to quickly change in the future. Screen resolution? Its a bit smaller screen that should look good..i don't think that's huge right now. And there's no upcoming phones with a Pre form factor. None come close to the cards system or other unique things that webOS employs.

    The specs are great IMO for a first release. There's no upcoming devices that worry me in this regard. Throw a better camera in a diamond2 or a better screen on a diamond2. It's still WM. It's still a resistive screen. It's another system altogether.
  11. #51  
    This is just my 2 cents but there is a lot more to a screen than it's size or resolution. Colors and saturation and pixel density etc all count. Palm made a big deal out of the quality of the blacks and colors at CES. This stuff doesn't come through on a spec sheet.

    Is the Pre's screen better than an iPhone? I don't know. Never seen them side by side. But Palm sure was anxious to show them side by side at CES. In the video though they only found Blackberry's I think. Maybe a Storm and a Bold.

    BTW, the Bold looked really good...

    But I want a bigger screen that is touch sensitive.
  12. #52  
    I think the 3.0 OSX will put the iPhone in line for more business users who might have agreed with the OP's opinion that iPhone users are smartphone noobs.
    Because they finally fixed much of what was preventing effective use of the phone. I would like to see what they did with the call list though, still a pain to remove all or nothing.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I think the 3.0 OSX will put the iPhone in line for more business users who might have agreed with the OP's opinion that iPhone users are smartphone noobs. Because they finally fixed much of what was preventing effective use of the phone.
    Well, business users haven't exactly embraced OSX on the desktop (although it is better than windows in many ways). So I don't think they are going to jump on the iPhone because it has OSX either.

    I also don't think they make decisions based on whether a little feature here or there is added. True cut and paste is not really a little feature to users but it is so basic for a smartphone that I can't believe it wasn't there to start with.

    Ultimately, my experience shows me that IT will pick whatever is easiest for them to deal with and lock you down as much as they are allowed to. If enough people with Director, VP or CXO in their titles complain and ask for something, then it usually happens.
  14. #54  
    What do you think will happen in IT departments with WebOS? WM and RIM usually have those markets sown up. But I did hear that some businesses will accept the iPhone due to Exchange sync.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Long time palm buyers? I see some of the usual apple drones making a few comments and perhaps one or two others. Nothing too damaging. It was a thread more in fun.
    comments like Apple patrol and apple drones are just silly. There are tons and tons of palm OS and wm peopel where with critical views of aspects of the Pre (as an intelligent person would have of any phone) trying to flame them by throw names like fanboy, drone etc just makes your original post strange.


    I haven't seen any apple fanboy comments here, it is just something to call someone to avoid the meat of the matter.

    mediocre specs on the Pre are needed for reasons we know, they can't afford higher specs that you see on more advanced devices and smartphones because they don't have the money, and their target is not the high end. That is ok, but pointing it out doesn't make one a "fanboy."
  16. #56  
    I feel the Pre has too many multimeda features for the business world. I believe one of the reason why the Blackberry is so popular is due to the control the IT dept has over it, removing anything it deems not appropriate. I feel with the iphone and Pre or other platforms, the companies don't have as much control as they'd like. Its all about productivity to the business crowd, and thats why the Blackberry will always rein supreme, not because its a better device per se, but the amount of control a company has over it.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    Why did you have to jailbreak to show pictures?
    You don't.. perhaps I should clarify a bit... I jailbroke (?) the iPhone, still didn't like it so gave it to my wife because she liked it because of the form factor.
    Last edited by Excoriar; 03/20/2009 at 02:22 AM.
  18. #58  
    Top 10 reasons to get an iPhone over a Pre:
    1. The iPhone exists
    2. The iPhone exists
    3. The iPhone exists
    4. The iPhone exists
    5. The iPhone exists
    6. The iPhone exists
    7. The iPhone exists
    8. The iPhone exists
    9. The iPhone exists
    10. The iPhone exists

    -- Josh
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    Top 10 reasons to get an iPhone over a Pre:
    1. The iPhone exists
    2. The iPhone exists
    3. The iPhone exists
    4. The iPhone exists
    5. The iPhone exists
    6. The iPhone exists
    7. The iPhone exists
    8. The iPhone exists
    9. The iPhone exists
    10. The iPhone exists

    -- Josh
    Good argument.
  20. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I don't think his Perception point was completely invalid either. Maybe a bit presumptuous, but not totally invalid.

    I know that iPhone's are slightly frowned upon in some business circles. If you don't have a BB or a Treo then you do get picked on a bit. The iPhone kind of has the "toy" reputation.
    I need to get this off my chest, I like the iPhone. I think it is an extremely nifty device with a VERY clean UI. I've played with many in my day. I am not a fan of AT&T or Apple though. So when I started researching the Pre I got EXTREMELY stoked that a phone would be coming to my carrier that would beat the snot out of the iPhone. So yeah. But I need to tone down the iPhone crap-talk. Because I do actually like the device.
    Yes , ME TOOOO.
    I do like the iPhone, I even bought a 3G one then promptly returned it.
    I don't like ATT. I like APPLE but not a fan of it. I would like to buy APPLE products if they can sell them at a 30% discount.
    Where I work , Blackberry and PALM rule.
    I am not sure its the age thing or not , but 40 plus guys have the BB and PALM , 20-40 age group have iPhone. Folks with iPhone rarely display it.
    Its my general observation in my office.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions