Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Well of course, perceptions will vary with each business. Mine's just more conservative than average. CPA firm with some older partners. If it don't have a kb..its useless
    I hope the Pre keyboard is better than the centro or the Pro, because to me, that's useless.

RIM has it right with the Blackberry Bold. If I still desired a hard keyboard, I would want something like that.
    I think the Pre keyboard size and layout should be good for me(Centro user now) and for people with average size fingers\hands, but I hope the keys are not as glossy as on my Centro. Indoor lighting on them make it hard to see the shift symbols on each key.
    Last edited by miles4000; 03/18/2009 at 02:39 PM.
    I disagree with the OP's 1 and 4, and Zyphlin's 8.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I don't think his Perception point was completely invalid either. Maybe a bit presumptuous, but not totally invalid.

I know that iPhone's are slightly frowned upon in some business circles. If you don't have a BB or a Treo then you do get picked on a bit. The iPhone kind of has the "toy" reputation.
    I need to get this off my chest, I like the iPhone. I think it is an extremely nifty device with a VERY clean UI. I've played with many in my day. I am not a fan of AT&T or Apple though. So when I started researching the Pre I got EXTREMELY stoked that a phone would be coming to my carrier that would beat the snot out of the iPhone. So yeah. But I need to tone down the iPhone crap-talk. Because I do actually like the device.
    I've always hated the "Talk down the competitor in great exaggeration to prop up your own" thing. Back when the only two dogs in the fight really were PocketPC and POS I was a fervent PocketPC fan. However, I'd but heads with people over at PDABuzz or Brighthand often when they'd just out and out trash the Palm about things that were over exaggerations. I loved them banging on the "simplisity" of the Palm...and then turn around the next day and be in thread trying to find a better program launcher for PocketPC because PPC's was too complex.

Same thing with the Pre stuff. Some users here seem to think Precentral should be for die hard, hardcore, 100% pre backed people only. But fact is, its not. There are people that are akin to me, who are interested in the Pre but are ALSO interested in OTHER phones as well. Part of why I registered and started reading here a lot was to hear news and information about the Pre in hopes of making an informed decision on what I wanted to buy next.

Perception does play into it a bit. I hate overbearing mac folks or those that see the iPhone as some kind of social sign. But I'm already seeing the same PREtentious attitude and holier-than-thou mindset forming in the Pre community.

I love top 10 lists comparing two things that actually try to be objective, but if I wanted a mindless, apple hating, palm is god attitude top 10 list for the phone I'd just email a palm rep.

There ARE things the Pre does better, or does at all, that the iPhone doesn't. There are also things that the iPhone does well that we've yet to see how the Pre stacks up. If you can't be honest about the negatives, why do you think people will give a crap what you say about the positives (general "you" there).

Take games for instance. Instead of trying to tell people that "That's not a big deal, you don't NEED high end games on a REAL smart phone anyways" when you turn around and insult Apple for telling us we don't NEED multitasking, how about going "yeah, its a negative to th pre and hopefully we can push them as a community to improve that in the future if the information on games holds true".

Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I guess. But most of the time I want to IM somebody I just go into my IM app. Being able to now do it directly from the contacts list is nice, but my brain will need to be re-trained. Not sure if it's such a huge advantage.
    I like having one app to do it all though. It'd be great not to switch to my SMS app to do SMS messages, my IM app to do IM's, and to facebook on the web or a facebook app to do facebook stuff but can instead do it all from one program, have it all in one clear line. That's a very nice feature to me.

I also love the feature of having information pulled down from facebook. I love picture contacts but I so often forget to take the pictures when I'm around people, having it auto populate is great. Same with if it updates phone numbers or addresses if they change in facebook, saving me time of doing it.

My hope is they continue to expand on the entire synergy concept.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I disagree with the OP's 1 and 4, and Zyphlin's 8.
    Just out of curiosity. Disagree that the facebook intigration is a bonus? Or that it'll help them get some traction in the "fat middle"? Or that its overtaken that horrible myspace?
    Facebook=privacy violation nightmare. They are always caught doing something sneaky. I wouldn't put their app on any phone!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Ahh, understandable.
  8.    #28  
    I thought i was more tongue in cheek than apple hating but ok

Think of it as more of a playful jab, not some hateful put down please.
    One huge reason for many to consider buying the Pre over the Iphone is storage. I mean think about it, Palm had the competitive foresight to exceed apple's 16 gig Iphone with 32 gigs on the Pre.... er ...I mean to say that Palm had the competitive foresight to match apple's 16 gig Iphone with 16 gigs on the Pre.... er ....what I meant to say was that Pam was wise to put a whopping 8 gigs on the Pre, but made the device infinitely expandable with a card slot, er.. wait no .... oh nevermind.

I think I'll buy the pre anyway though.
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    One huge reason for many to consider buying the Pre over the Iphone is storage. I mean think about it, Palm had the competitive foresight to exceed apple's 16 gig Iphone with 32 gigs on the Pre.... er ...I mean to say that Palm had the competitive foresight to match apple's 16 gig Iphone with 16 gigs on the Pre.... er ....what I meant to say was that Pam was wise to put a whopping 8 gigs on the Pre, but made the device infinitely expandable with a card slot, er.. wait no .... oh nevermind.

I know you mean in it jest, but no mas por favor. We've pummeled this storage horse, shot him, cremated him, nuked the ashes, hunted down his ghost, and attacked it with spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I know you mean in it jest, but no mas por favor. We've pummeled this storage horse, shot him, cremated him, nuked the ashes, hunted down his ghost, and attacked it with spells.
    So, what are the crack heads running our substance abuse group meetings now?

I meant that in jest also.

Seriously, though, the memory issue, in my estimation, is more relevant now than ever, given Iphone 3.0 and Apple's attempt to close the feature gap.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    This whole Synergy thing I just don't understand. Why would anybody keep their business calendar and personal calendar in separate locations?

I admit I use outlook in a professional environment. I keep all contacts, notes, and calendar in the same application. What is the advantage to not doing this?
    You have a point that for some people keeping a unified calendar has advantages. But many people can not or do not want to do this.
    1) Cannot. Your company may not allow personal items to be kept on the corporate calendar. This means you need to keep a separate personal calendar.
    2) Do not want to. I do not want my corporate buddies seeing what I am doing in my private time. Thus, I will keep a separate personal calendar.

Both of these reasons are assuming you are using collaborative tools that allow others to see what is on your calendar. Many allow you to hide or "make private" events, but for me, I would rather not take the chance I forget to mark a personal event as such. It also helps me share what I need to with who I need to while making sure they only see events that i want them to see.

These would be my reasons for maintaining separate calendars. Other people may have other reasons, or may not think my reasons are important to them.

Now, the synergy part will be nice to aggregate all of this information for my personal use.

16GB and the possibility of 32GB is another reason I can't switch at this time.

Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    First I have to say I'm gonna buy a pre and don't care about the iPhone at all, but for the sake of argument I will comment on your list:

10. Real kb. Even the apple execs couldn't type without making errors in their 3.0 demo.

I just watched the sprint webcast, and noticed the sprint exec couldnt type without making errors on the pre either

9. Unobtrusive notifications. Expect apple's latest OS to bombard the user with annoying popups that disturbs whatever you're doing more than ever.

You say that based on what? it can be just as subtle as on the pre

8. No nickel and diming. If you buy an iphone, apple views you as a tool to throw ads at. They've encouraged app makers to do the same now.

true, with an iPhone, apple is in charge. with the pre, customer is king.

7. Universal search. Apple's won't anticipate that you want to do a web search.

not? they said that? stupid :P

6. Multitasking. Apple can't do this without making all users upgrade to newer hardware. Even so, it'd take a lot of doing.

I think they can, but they just don't want to.

5. Replaceable battery. Nuff said.

no comment

4. Cool accessories. Touchstone...nuff said. Iphone? They're demoing the iphone running medical equipment..lol

iPhone rules the accesories department actually :P I don't even have to explain that. except for touchstone (which I think is nothing special really, I will likely use the usb charger), there aren't any accesoiries for the pre.

3. Synergy. Apple still can't figure out it needs all in one messaging, email, contacts and calendars that flow together.

the pre is still missing sync for music and files and stuff like that. shame.

2. Price. Sprint's plans are cheaper, include unlimited text, and the gap widens the more minutes you get.

not applicable to me since I don't live in the states

1. Perception. If you get an iphone, you'll be perceived as a noob by other smartphone users. In business, you'll be looked down on having a kiddie phone. The Pre's looks puts the iphone to shame.

very true
    I think the iPhone is a great device... for some people.

I was on Apple's site today and noticed they had "100" items upated in OS 3.0.

In the top three was "cut and paste." If you have to list cut and paste in your top three, you don't have a lot of updates... but when I was buying mac software, it made me really made when apple would say 100,000,000,000 new features... and only 2 features would be worth a crap.

My rant of the day... but the iPhone is a good device, if you like itunes or want something along the lines of the iphone. I happen to like winmob.... no biggie...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    The number one reason to buy an iPhone over a Pre, which pretty much trumps all, is that you can buy an iPhone.

When the Pre emerges from vaporware, we can compare. Until then, it's not a phone you can buy.

I'm not an Apple fanboy, I love my 700wx, but we have to wait to see if the Pre exists before we declare it better than anything!
  17.    #37  
    Haven't bought an iphone accessory. Will buy a Touchstone. Pre wins.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Since I have a 1st gen iPhone, my top 10 reasons are:

A2DP
    A2DP
    A2DP
    A2DP
    A2DP
    A2DP
    A2DP
    A2DP
    A2DP
    A2DP
    Not even a case or extra charger or cord, cardfan??

Seriously, though, the memory issue, in my estimation, is more relevant now than ever, given Iphone 3.0 and Apple's attempt to close the feature gap.
    I disagree. iPhone 3.0 has put the focus right back where it belongs: on the featureset, OS, and software. People are comparing it more than ever to the Pre/WebOS, and on identical features (e.g. push notifications, universal search), the Pre is coming out ahead, not to mention having its exclusive features (e.g. multitasking with cards) highlighted. That the Pre has a better camera or that Apple sells an iPhone with 8 more GB of storage is the LAST thing anyone is talking about right now.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast