Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    iPhone OS 3.0 is coming, March 17th

Will this speed up the release process or push it back if iPhone comes up with some newness we weren't expecting
    I don't think Pam and Sprint look to what the Apple crowd is doing and base the release date on that. They want to get it out ASAP, they have stated that numerous times, but at the same time want the device to be solid and stable. They have their own time table and I don't think anything that Apple does will affect it.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    yup, I believe if the Pre was ready it would be out by now.
    I am looking forward for the new OS but I just hope it won't be as good as the Pre, I want Palm to succeed.
  4.    #4  
    i can understand where you're coming from, but on the flip side do you think Apple is rushing to announce this to sway iphone owners on the edge from picking up a pre
    Oh yeah, ya think? Let the games begin. That might be the best thing for Palm actually, when the competition flinches!
    I think the big question will be whether 3.0 has multitasking. If it doesn't, they better get back to the drawing board.
    Bad luck for Palm. A lot of the Pre's success rides on how compelling the iPhone 3.0 update and hardware refresh this summer will be. If Apple fixes the glaring issues where the Pre beats the iPhone Palm could have a serious problem on their hands.

Does anyone really think this is a coincidence? Apple announcing the OS 3.0 on the same day as Palm's web chat? Apple will fight as dirty as they have to.
    I guess they better get back to drawing board then I'd be shocked to see multitasking from apple

BTW..not a lot of the Pre's success rides on the iphone 3.0. Assuming a normal launch and no recalls, the Pre will be successful no matter what apple does... Frankly because Palm's version of "success" is simply carving out a niche in the smartphone market.
    As a iPhone owner I am pretty excited. Any Pre purchase (for me) would be dependent on what the iPhone 3.0 OS does not deliver. If I get multitasking (or even push notifications), unified inbox, and copy and paste; it will make it a lot harder for me to plunk down extra money in this depression for a new phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Bad luck for Palm. A lot of the Pre's success rides on how compelling the iPhone 3.0 update and hardware refresh this summer will be. If Apple fixes the glaring issues where the Pre beats the iPhone Palm could have a serious problem on their hands.
    I disagree to some extent. I don't think Palm's big audience is people who already have an iPhone (McNamee's comments notwithstanding). Their audience is the large portion of current cell phone users who are looking at smartphones, and possibly considering a switch to the iPhone simply because there really isn't anything else compelling (unless you're excited by a Windows Start button).

Also, the new iPhone (if one is indeed coming this summer) is unlikely to get a keyboard. So if one of the big things keeping you from already having an iPhone in your pocket is the lack of a keyboard, the Pre is still for you.

The future will see a compelling Palm Pre and a compelling iPhone both doing well, I hope. The Pre doesn't have to beat the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    A lot of people forget that the iPhone already has multi-tasking for the default "app launcher bar" apps. i.e., iPod app, Safari, phone app etc. You can close and reopen those without losing what you were doing.

To answer your question, this will affect the Pre. Not the phone, but how many people actually buy it. If Apple has some exciting new features that they can create new TV ads for... then they will. They'll push the updated iPhones down our throats.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    A lot of people forget that the iPhone already has multi-tasking for the default "app launcher bar" apps. i.e., iPod app, Safari, phone app etc. You can close and reopen those without losing where you were.
    I can also listen to music in the background. I really only want background use for my IM client and Twitter client. I also want a better email client, and copy and paste.

I would probably still get a Pre, but I would definately be waiting for a gsm version over making it a day 1 purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I don't think Pam and Sprint look to what the Apple crowd is doing and base the release date on that. They want to get it out ASAP, they have stated that numerous times, but at the same time want the device to be solid and stable. They have their own time table and I don't think anything that Apple does will affect it.
    It has to fit somewhere in their Business Module, they were wanting to attract users who were Iphone fans. It's got to make a difference. I may get the iphone 3 if they come out with one of the new releases with a physical keyboard; (it probably won't happen but Apple would like to woo Treo and Blackberry users who love their keyboards!!)

iPhone OS 3.0 is coming, March 17th
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    I think the big question will be whether 3.0 has multitasking. If it doesn't, they better get back to the drawing board.

They better add CutNPaste! and how about support for AD2P?
    I was waiting for a big Palm announcement before coming back here, but I suppose this'll do...

To answer the titular question, I don't think it'll affect things much at all. The launch of the Pre is on Sprint - with a 49 million customer base. Before Palm gets too concerned with prying away iPhone or G1 or Storm owners, they need to grab a substantial number of the Sprint base first. All they need to do is get three to four percent of those peeps to buy it, and it's a huge hit for Palm and Sprint.

Whatever people they grab from other carriers is merely icing on that cake.

As for the iPhone 3.0 software, I just don't see it being as much of a difference maker as 3G or their dramatic price drops. In fact, I'm not sure what exactly Apple could add to a new iPhone to make it the same type of game changer it was before. I was mighty surprised that Windows Mobile was shown yesterday to be so resurgent as to retake the iPhone in marketshare, and I think in some ways, the iPhone has kinda peaked as the must-have cool tech toy. Diminishing returns, saturation, and all of that...
    BGR is reporting a couple of new features are MMS & Bluetooth Tethering
    Honestly, the timing of this seems to be the biggest sign yet that Apple is concerned about the Pre. Announcing it a couple hours before the Sprint/ Palm webcast, and having it be the week after both point to Apple trying to control the amount of hype for the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    BGR is reporting a couple of new features are MMS & Bluetooth Tethering
    they're just going all out aren't they? :-P Honestly, unless they announce the iphone 3.0 will have a physical keyboard and will come out for sprint, I could care less what they announce. For me it's just nice that Palm will have to step it up another notch.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I was waiting for a big Palm announcement before coming back here, but I suppose this'll do...

To answer the titular question, I don't think it'll affect things much at all. The launch of the Pre is on Sprint - with a 49 million customer base. Before Palm gets too concerned with prying away iPhone or G1 or Storm owners, they need to grab a substantial number of the Sprint base first. All they need to do is get three to four percent of those peeps to buy it, and it's a huge hit for Palm and Sprint.

Whatever people they grab from other carriers is merely icing on that cake.

As for the iPhone 3.0 software, I just don't see it being as much of a difference maker as 3G or their dramatic price drops. In fact, I'm not sure what exactly Apple could add to a new iPhone to make it the same type of game changer it was before. I was mighty surprised that Windows Mobile was shown yesterday to be so resurgent as to retake the iPhone in marketshare, and I think in some ways, the iPhone has kinda peaked as the must-have cool tech toy. Diminishing returns, saturation, and all of that...
    Well then your theory goes against what a major stock holder said in a tv interview when he said he expected all iPhone owners to switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Honestly, the timing of this seems to be the biggest sign yet that Apple is concerned about the Pre. Announcing it a couple hours before the Sprint/ Palm webcast, and having it be the week after both point to Apple trying to control the amount of hype for the Pre.
    almost a year to the day when they announced the event for the iphone 2.0 OS introduction.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast