Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I suddenly feel like I've been transported to a macrumors forum... This is the place to post about things Pre related is it not?
    I was thinking the same thing.

Palm may not think that they need to take sales from Apple, but it is quite obvious from the number of iPhone users hanging around here that they will do so if they get it right.
    Since many of the touted advantages of the Pre are software-determined like speed, the cards, the SDK, message integration, even the cloud, what iPhone 3.0 has to offer is extremely important because, like it or not, every review of the Pre is going to be a comparison between it and the latest iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Apple is just plain weird sometimes in what they offer or don't offer, IMO. Seen the new Shuffle? The only logic for that is to keep people locked to their pathetic earphones. But even their own better $79 in-ears supposedly don't work except to pause the music. Although I can't confirm this, but it was reported by a user. But if that's true

Your absolutely right. The new shuffle forces the buyer to purchase there headphones, thus locking them into always having to buy their products.

I saw the video and you can change the volume with the headphones, get the name of the song and the artist, and pause. But we both know the sound quality isn't top-notched with their headphones. The better quality headphones are not supported for the shuffle I believe. That is ridiculous to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by laravia18 View Post
    Your absolutely right. The new shuffle forces the buyer to purchase there headphones, thus locking them into always having to buy their products.

I saw the video and you can change the volume with the headphones, get the name of the song and the artist, and pause. But we both know the sound quality isn't top-notched with their headphones. The better quality headphones are not supported for the shuffle I believe. That is ridiculous to me.
    There will be third party headphones in the future. Just give them a minute. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    There will be third party headphones in the future. Just give them a minute. :-)
    There's an article about this actually on Engadget right now.

Third-party iPod shuffle headphones will require Apple-licensed authentication chip

Apparently in order to make third-party headphones, the company will have to pay Apple a licensing fee to get a chip in the connector.
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    Since many of the touted advantages of the Pre are software-determined like speed, the cards, the SDK, message integration, even the cloud, what iPhone 3.0 has to offer is extremely important because, like it or not, every review of the Pre is going to be a comparison between it and the latest iPhone.
    A lot of these aren't things that are simple to take care of. Speed for example: not only does the Pre have the most advanced ARM processor yet, but Palm built WebOS from the ground up for a mobile device, whereas Apple tried to cram OS X into the iPhone. So, it's a software AND a hardware thing, and neither side will be easy for Apple to fix.

With the SDK it's had since 2.0, Apple actually already has an advantage, though Palm hasn't limited web applications as much as Apple did with its web applications that it had before software 2.0.

And the rest, we'll see what happens.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 03/15/2009 at 09:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Third-party iPod shuffle headphones will require Apple-licensed authentication chip

Apparently in order to make third-party headphones, the company will have to pay Apple a licensing fee to get a chip in the connector.
    Ughh, Apple, you make me sad. :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    Point taken, but what good is Palms sweet OMAP processor if Palm locks down the SDK long term to only include the high level web programming interface? I bet that processor would allow for some cool 3d games and amazing software, but I'm kinda thinking programmers will really need lower level hardware access to realize that potential. I hope it will come down the road.
    Good point Captweez (and awesome screenname btw). I agree that having an OMAP processor and not allowing full access to it for the developers is kind of lame. I'd have to admit most of these 3d games are pretty cool looking on the iPhone. Nice thing though is that it seems that Palm is starting to listen to its customers (as they should always have been). So the full SDK shouldn't be too far down the road
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

That may mean they won't work with other players. GRRR! So basically you pay double just to use the Shuffle!!!

Unless you have the in-ears and already use those for your iPhone or Touch. Now someone else claims the in-ears do work(I'm still checking on this). The Nano is looking very good right now, if you want to use a small flash player iPod. The new Nano is still small but so much more usable.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    McNamee said he expected out of contract iphone users to switch to the latest cool product. He didn't say Pre. He may have implied the Pre but i think he was just excited that this pool of potential customers will be there. He's really complimentary of apple if you listen to him.

I can't believe the excitement apple is generating with rumors of copy n paste, a feature iphone users have rationalized that they don't need or use often. Same with MMS.

But its smart. If apple wants to grow and be the next dumbphone, then they need MMS. And to satisfy current users they need to refresh it and make tweaks. They're smart..they're doing that. They're adding just enough to maintain excitement while leaving future phones with room to upgrade.

Battling Palm or RIM is off focus. Vice versa, Palm shouldn't care about Apple. It's a huge market that is growing as the dumbphone users make the switch.

Another concern i'd have if i'm an apple fan is their arrogance. Lots of stories keep happening regarding app approval process, this shuffle, etc. It adds up. Apple might be a titanic right now, but they could easily sink back to earth. Windows 7 will pressure them in the pc market and the competition is heating up in the smartphone arena.
    You forgot the part about every notebook they released recently has a hardware error, not to mention stupid omissions. They'd be back down to earth a lot faster if people would quit making excuses for them. The only reason I can even use the iPhone regularly again is due to apps, NOT Apple. The developers make the phone usable.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234