Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    But iPhone sales always start explosive, then plateau until something like a dramatic price drop or 3G and apps appears. That's where Apple is at right now: steady, but not explosive sales
    Number two in market share, App store is approaching a billion dollars in business. I think its explosive, and I'm pretty sure Palm would be very happy with 10 percent of that success.
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    It certainly will affect the timing of the release of the Pre.

The iPhone 3.0 announcement is about notification for developers who are usually given a month or so to test their wares on the SDK prior to a major OS release. Given how long it takes for Apple to approve app submissions, we are probably talking about 4-6 weeks before iPhone OS 3.0 hits.

The last thing that Palm wants is a dual-message media event: "Palm Releases new Smartphone / iPhone gets feature upgrade" along with a nice interview with Mossberg or Pogue comparing the two. That's why we don't have a release date for the Pre and why we don't have an actual release date of iPhone 3.0. Apple is basically aiming 3.0 like a bomb to drop on the release of the Pre. Palm is doing everything possible to present a moving target.
    this is kinda what i was thinking, I'm sure palm knew apple would be coming out with something and maybe they just made this little webinar as a distraction, figuring apple would announce something to steal the attention. that way they can have their own day to shine... although i really think they could have come up with SOMETHING new to show people.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Here is a video of some guys who have some knowledge of the new iphone 3.0 OS. They give the copy and paste announcement, which is no big deal. But they also make a statement that the new OS upgrade will get the iphone up to par with the Pre, minus multitasking. If this turns out to be true, does this do anything to the Pre launch plans?

Giddy Blog | Derek Steen Kevin Rose announces iPhone Copy + Paste
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    ^ Diggnation's Apple/iPhone predictions are usually (but not always) correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    ^ Diggnation's Apple/iPhone predictions are usually (but not always) correct.

Looking back, most of his predictions are incorrect with a few accurate guesses thrown in. I can do this too. I predict.....

1. Copy/Paste
    2. MMS
    3. Push Notifications

lets see if my predictions are correct.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    lol, iPhone finally gets copy and paste and those fanboys go totally wild over it :P

so apple says the iPhone will have anything the pre has, except for a hardware keyboard and multitasking... aren't those like the most important features of the palm pre :P

my 5 year old 50 dollar motorola also does everything the iPhone does, except for making photos, playing games other then snake, browse the internet, listen to music etc. and the memory is a little bit smaller: just 5 megabyte. But it does do anything the iPhone does except for those things, really!! PLUS: it has COPY AND PASTE!!!!!!!

*motorola fanboy crowd goes wild over my motorola, starts bidding thousands of dollars for it*
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanP View Post
    lol, iPhone finally gets copy and paste and those fanboys go totally wild over it :P

so apple says the iPhone will have anything the pre has, except for a hardware keyboard and multitasking... aren't those like the most important features of the palm pre :P

my 5 year old 50 dollar motorola also does everything the iPhone does, except for making photos, playing games other then snake, browse the internet, listen to music etc. and the memory is a little bit smaller: just 5 megabyte. But it does do anything the iPhone does except for those things, really!! PLUS: it has COPY AND PASTE!!!!!!!

*motorola fanboy crowd goes wild over my motorola, starts bidding thousands of dollars for it*
    Apple hasn't said a thing yet. Don't confuse Kevin Rose for an official apple spokesman.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    no multitask, bye Iphone.... for now :-)
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Apple hasn't said a thing yet. Don't confuse Kevin Rose for an official apple spokesman.
    You think Kevin Rose is a psychic? :P he was told those things by an apple employee.

but, to be fair, by saying "apple" I actually meant something like "the apple fanboy community"
    Whether this affects the release or not, there is no firmware release that can overcome what the Pre's newer processor can do. Unless Apple upgrades their hardware, Palm's (actually TI's) OMAP processor will still have potential to do even more than what Apple's ARM processor is capable of.
    It is kinda strange how Apple is updating to copy/paste after all these years of not having it....

Threatened much?

I like Apple but this seems transparent to me.
    Last edited by laravia18; 03/15/2009 at 04:50 PM.
    CORRECTION: iPhone "hopefully" gets copy-n-paste.
    You think Kevin Rose is a psychic? :P he was told those things by an apple employee.

but, to be fair, by saying "apple" I actually meant something like "the apple fanboy community"
    Judging by his track record, I do not think he is a pyschic. He is wrong more than right.
    Okay, I'm guessing myself that copy and paste will be included... but being told "it'll include everything that the Pre does better" with no actual specifics which is what he mentions having been told in the video, that sounds like they're just blowing smoke up his ****.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I think it was more of a sign of relief. Kind of like "What took you so long!"
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    All I can say, as a current iPhone owner, any immediate purchase of the Pre is contingent on what Apple will deliver in this upgrade. If Apple enhances the OS by adding things I have found missing since the 2.0 release, then I will seriously consider skipping the initial Pre launch and sticking with my iPhone.

I have a feeling I'm not the only one.
    I have to see what the new HARDWARE will offer too. They didn't mention anything about new hardware being mentioned, but I hope they drop a few hints. That rubberized back rumor would be nice if true. I'm also looking for storage increase.

But otherwise, I'm almost on the same page as you. If either 3.0 or 3.0 apps fix the issues I have with the iPhone, I'll likely renew my contract for the 3rd gen version(didn't get the 3G).
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I suddenly feel like I've been transported to a macrumors forum... This is the place to post about things Pre related is it not?
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by laravia18 View Post
    It is kinda strange how Apple is updating to copy/paste after all these years of not having it....

Threatened much?

I like Apple but this seems transparent to me.
    Apple is just plain weird sometimes in what they offer or don't offer, IMO. Seen the new Shuffle? The only logic for that is to keep people locked to their pathetic earphones. But even their own better $79 in-ears supposedly don't work except to pause the music. Although I can't confirm this, but it was reported by a user. But if that's true

HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I suddenly feel like I've been transported to a macrumors forum... This is the place to post about things Pre related is it not?
    The OP asked how 3.0 Mobile OSX will affect the Pre lauch, didn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    Whether this affects the release or not, there is no firmware release that can overcome what the Pre's newer processor can do. Unless Apple upgrades their hardware, Palm's (actually TI's) OMAP processor will still have potential to do even more than what Apple's ARM processor is capable of.
    Point taken, but what good is Palms sweet OMAP processor if Palm locks down the SDK long term to only include the high level web programming interface? I bet that processor would allow for some cool 3d games and amazing software, but I'm kinda thinking programmers will really need lower level hardware access to realize that potential. I hope it will come down the road.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast