Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Average iphone user: tethering? what's that?

I really can't see them doing anything game changing to the OS from Jan-March that would've been influenced by the Pre.

None of the analysts expect anything other than minor tweaks. This will be more marketing than substance.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Well then your theory goes against what a major stock holder said in a tv interview when he said he expected all iPhone owners to switch.
    To switch one out of their 2 yr contracts that have original iphones. He said switch. He didn't say to what..could be another iphone. The Pre is certainly an option but one would have to be a moron to assume he meant all iphone users out of contract would switch to a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman
    almost a year to the day when they announced the event for the iphone 2.0 OS introduction.
    Oh, I hadn't realized that, but I still think the timing is suspicious there.

Well then your theory goes against what a major stock holder said in a tv interview when he said he expected all iPhone owners to switch.
    He didn't say he expects everyone to switch to the Pre, he said that the people who bought the iPhone right away were people who liked to be on the cutting edge, so naturally they'd be moving to some new device (not even necessarily the Pre) when their contract is up. He didn't say "as soon as the Pre comes out, every iPhone user is going to switch to it" or anything like that and in fact has been very complimentary towards the iPhone.
    Well, it's not a theory. Objectively, those kinds of sales figures in the first couple of quarters the Pre is available for sale would make it a huge hit for both companies.

McNamee's trash talking is just that, and it's already been discussed here ad nauseam, I think.
    It certainly will affect the timing of the release of the Pre.

The iPhone 3.0 announcement is about notification for developers who are usually given a month or so to test their wares on the SDK prior to a major OS release. Given how long it takes for Apple to approve app submissions, we are probably talking about 4-6 weeks before iPhone OS 3.0 hits.

The last thing that Palm wants is a dual-message media event: "Palm Releases new Smartphone / iPhone gets feature upgrade" along with a nice interview with Mossberg or Pogue comparing the two. That's why we don't have a release date for the Pre and why we don't have an actual release date of iPhone 3.0. Apple is basically aiming 3.0 like a bomb to drop on the release of the Pre. Palm is doing everything possible to present a moving target.
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post

The iPhone 3.0 announcement is about notification for developers who are usually given a month or so to test their wares on the SDK prior to a major OS release. Given how long it takes for Apple to approve app submissions, we are probably talking about 4-6 weeks before iPhone OS 3.0 hits.

The last thing that Palm wants is a dual-message media event: "Palm Releases new Smartphone / iPhone gets feature upgrade" along with a nice interview with Mossberg or Pogue comparing the two. That's why we don't have a release date for the Pre and why we don't have an actual release date of iPhone 3.0. Apple is basically aiming 3.0 like a bomb to drop on the release of the Pre. Palm is doing everything possible to present a moving target.
    Really? I just don't see that at all. If 3.0 is any sort of significant upgrade, then it would have had to have been in development well before the Pre announcement. And the timing of the announcement doesn't detract from anything Pre-related save for ONE Palm/Sprint Webinar that was invitation only and scheduled for a whopping twenty minutes. Not exactly a banner event that Apple is raining upon.

In fact, why would Pre be on Apple's radar much at all? For any iPhone customers who would leave AT&T for it, Apple has already peeled off several times that many from Sprint and continues to everyday.
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post

The last thing that Palm wants is a dual-message media event: "Palm Releases new Smartphone / iPhone gets feature upgrade" along with a nice interview with Mossberg or Pogue comparing the two. That's why we don't have a release date for the Pre and why we don't have an actual release date of iPhone 3.0. Apple is basically aiming 3.0 like a bomb to drop on the release of the Pre.
    If you ask me, palm should welcome that. That last thing Apple should want to do is give the Pre attention.

Palm would love for those wanting to research the the iphone to come across the Pre. Take a ride on the apple wave. In all such comparisons, the Pre is getting mentioned...
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Average iphone user: tethering? what's that?

I really can't see them doing anything game changing to the OS from Jan-March that would've been influenced by the Pre.

None of the analysts expect anything other than minor tweaks. This will be more marketing than substance.

Not sure I have read those reports? Links please? I expect major software changes.
    I expect major software changes.
    Any specific ones? Just curious.
    All I can say, as a current iPhone owner, any immediate purchase of the Pre is contingent on what Apple will deliver in this upgrade. If Apple enhances the OS by adding things I have found missing since the 2.0 release, then I will seriously consider skipping the initial Pre launch and sticking with my iPhone.

I have a feeling I'm not the only one.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Any specific ones? Just curious.
    Push notifications
    copy/paste
    better email client

I suspect the OS will also support true multitasking for the next generation of iPhone devices that will have more built in RAM.

I really cant think of anything else I want. Synergy does not thrill me as I keep all my contacts and calendar on my exchange server.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I really dont thinkthat this will affect the pre launch, however it looks like apple is trying to keep some people from swaying over to sprint and the pre by giving them some features the pre has and the iphone didnt. IMO apple is too little too late, better luck with the 3rd gen iphone.
    All I can say, as a current iPhone owner, any immediate purchase of the Pre is contingent on what Apple will deliver in this upgrade. If Apple enhances the OS by adding things I have found missing since the 2.0 release, then I will seriously consider skipping the initial Pre launch and sticking with my iPhone.

But doesn't that apply to any owner of any device whatsoever?

"If the makers of my current device are going to add/fix stuff that bothers me, I will stick with this device. If not, then I will make an immediate purchase of another device that does."

Who doesn't say this?
    But doesn't that apply to any owner of any device whatsoever?

"If the makers of my current device are going to add/fix stuff that bothers me, I will stick with this device. If not, then I will make an immediate purchase of another device that does."

Who doesn't say this?
    Its amazing that you guys here don't think Palm is targeting current iPhone users.

If you are willing to assume they are, then you would also need to consider that a major update coming soon might prevent some of this target audience from switching to the Pre.
    Well, we're all guessing at this point, but I hope it makes most iPhone users happy whatever it is. I find their OS to be incredible for app management, media playing, and web browsing, and almost nothing else.
    Its amazing that you guys here don't think Palm is targeting current iPhone users.

If you are willing to assume they are, then you would also need to consider that a major update coming soon might prevent some of this target audience from switching to the Pre.
    But this would be true whether the update comes tomorrow or six months from now.
    Well, we're all guessing at this point, but I hope it makes most iPhone users happy whatever it is. I find their OS to be incredible for app management, media playing, and web browsing, and almost nothing else.
    yes, you have made that very clear
    yes, you have made that very clear
    Actually, I like the games too...I just don't like the control scheme.

It's a well-made device that I am really glad exists because it lit a fire under the butts of everyone in the industry and brought down the target price point for flagship handsets.

But I would never own anything beyond the iPod Touch.
    You're not the only one comparing models, release times and features. I have a BB Flip that does most everything I need, and I'm locked into Tmo until the end of 09.

I need ATT femtocells before I go back to the iPhone. I had the original for two weeks but lack of reception in my place and issues with the phone made me return it.

For me, a new Kindle owner, the new Kindle app is now a must have (Pre). GPS with voice prompts too (iPhone). I'd like to know more official info about Mac snycing and the Pre too. I'm sure Pre will have some nifty newsreaders at some point...

I will probably wait for the iPhone 3rd gen before paying an etf to jump to the Pre, unless all these wants of mine are resolved at launch.

I went to the Apple App store recently and was very impressed. I have a feeling RIM's upcoming App World, and Palms App catalog will need a lot of time and refinement (and apps) to even hope to approach the level of sophistication of Apple.com.

I'm sure everyone here has their personal preferences. By the way I turned my doctor onto the Pre last week while sitting on his examining table. He pulled out a Palm model, you know one with a protruding antenna still, and I told him the Pre would have Epocrates for him.

Why anyone would think the iPhone has reached saturation, or is not going to evolve (improve) anymore is beyond me. This is their only model, less than 2 years old! It is and has been a phenomenon since day one.
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    Why anyone would think the iPhone has reached saturation, or is not going to evolve (improve) anymore is beyond me. This is their only model, less than 2 years old! It is and has been a phenomenon since day one.
    Let me be clear. There is still room for iPhone to grow. It's possible that a CDMA or LTE model is down the road. At some point way down the line, Apple will refresh the form factor. There is a LOT of functionality that could be added to mobile OSX.

But iPhone sales always start explosive, then plateau until something like a dramatic price drop or 3G and apps appears. That's where Apple is at right now: steady, but not explosive sales. Now, they can add a good bit of functionality with 3.0 software for sure, but I don't think that's going to make as big a splash as the 50 percent price drop or 3G and apps. Just an opinion.

Only the first two things - availability on non-AT&T networks domestically or a new form factor - would be on that level, and neither is in the pipeline anytime soon.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast