1.    #1  
    Has anybody tried this? It's a way to run AvantGo from a memory card.
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    It works.. but considering My avantgo channels consume ~2 megs, It makes the start of avantgo a little too long for my likings...

If you like seeing more memory when you're not using avantgo, this hack works. if you really think about it, this 'hack' is useless since you need *that* much space available run it anyways, so you might as well keep it on your handheld and save yourself the wait.

What I'd really want to see is avantgo have built in VFS support. VFS support that read directly from the card and doesn't need to copy the whole db over to the handheld. (or have something like MSmount auto update newer DBs.)
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by mr_yellow
    If you like seeing more memory when you're not using avantgo, this hack works. if you really think about it, this 'hack' is useless since you need *that* much space available run it anyways, so you might as well keep it on your handheld and save yourself the wait.
    I agree that this is just a memory tease. Unless you sync to A.G. once or twice a week. But what good is that....
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Just out of curiosity, I MSmounted the avantgo db's on my sdcard and booted up avantgo from the internal memory.

Boy is it slow! The wait is more annoying than powerrun.

FYI, I have 3 accounts each is about 500-700k each of channels.

Everytime i switch from one account to another, avantgo freezes. Seems like MSmount isn't smart enough to read the DB's chunk by chunk and ends up copying the whole DB into main memory.

Oh well. Guess I'll ahve to wait till avantgo comes out with a new version.
    Yup. nice try though.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by mr_yellow
    Just out of curiosity, I MSmounted the avantgo db's on my sdcard and booted up avantgo from the internal memory.

Boy is it slow!
    I tried the same experiment with the same results. Apps run from the card with MSmount take a little longer to launch. What's worse is that a having a lot of apps set up with MSmount slows down both the built-in app launcher and 3rd party app launchers, thus slowing down your whole experience. Apps under power run don't effect the app launchers' turnaround speed.

Most apps on my card I keep "under" PowerRun. Big databases (Bibles, maps) go under MSmount, with their corresponding apps in main memory. Figuring this stuff out is a lot fun for us freaks, but I can bet Pam and Pete PIMmer are going to be scared off.