Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How is this Palm Pre different than a iphone. Really? For those of us Palm users that have been waiting for a year or two for a new Palm we are disappointed. Putting it mildly. Plus we still hope Palm keeps the noted Palm autonomy, and not be dependent entirely on a network. Even if it's the next model.

But, putting aside all the cheerleaders, tell us Palm users that are brave enough to speak out, and have been waiting - What does this New "Pre" Really Have Over The Iphone?
    Last edited by positron; 02/27/2009 at 06:46 PM.
    Try reading one of the other 50 posts comparing the Pre and the iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by positron View Post
    How is this Palm Pre different than a iphone. Really? For those of us Palm users that have been waiting for a year or two for a new Palm we are disappointed. Putting it mildly. Plus we still hope Palm the keeps the noted Palm autonomy, and not be dependent entirely on a network. Even if it's the next model.

But, putting aside all the cheerleaders, tell us Palm users that are brave enougth to speak out, and have been waiting - What does this New "Pre" Really Have Over The Iphone?
    Wow. Gutsy post. What are you disappointed in, putting it mildly?
    First, and foremost;
    Palm (not apple)

The following are a few I jotted down and are in no particular order;

Synergy
    Layered calendars,
    Universal search,
    WebOS
    Anticipates your appointment needs,
    Proximity sensor,
    Ringer switch,
    Removable, rechargeable battery,
    Touchstone,
    Physical Qwerty Kb,

And most important;
    PreCentral
    PreCentral comes first.

I thought the iPhone had a proximity sensor?
    Copy and paste.

Removable battery.

Hopefully a PAINLESS activation.

Physical keyboard.

Possibly cheaper US plan if you don't mind CDMA. Although if SE is enforced, maybe not exactly.

Bern, the iPhone has a ringer switch too. At least the 1st gen does, which I still have.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    yea, but besides those 20 things u mentioned, how different is the Pre really? ;-) Gotta love these questions from people that obviously haven't spent 2 minutes reading the forums.
    Who cares how its different, who says it has to compare to the iPhone, thank god it's not like it....
    How is this Palm Pre different than a iphone. Really? For those of us Palm users that have been waiting for a year or two for a new Palm we are disappointed. Putting it mildly. Plus we still hope Palm the keeps the noted Palm autonomy, and not be dependent entirely on a network. Even if it's the next model.

But, putting aside all the cheerleaders, tell us Palm users that are brave enougth to speak out, and have been waiting - What does this New "Pre" Really Have Over The Iphone?
    Who are these "we" people you keep referring to? Count me out of that "we" group.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    ...putting aside all the cheerleaders...
    Can I has the cheerleader?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Multitask, multitask, MULTITASK I must be going blind because surely someone would have mention this but I don't see it
    Edit: and the way Palm handled the notifications.
    More Bluetooth profiles.
    phone diva, what's this "possibly a cheaper plan if you don't mind CDMA" stuff?

Nothing possible about it but definitely. That is of course if sprint doesn't raise prices on the Everything plans. I don't see that happening though. You'll have to pay around 70 a month to get either one though at a minimum. The sprint lowest plan gives unlimited text is the main difference of the lowest ones. It's when you move beyond the lowest plans that the differences really start to widen.

Bottom line...i have the individual everything plan from at&t right now and i'm paying 172 a month. I can go to sprint and pay about 108 a month i assume after taxes. It's about 70 dollars difference per month. Even the family plans have gaps that big.

70x12 = 840 or so more per year on AT&T. Even if i paid 400 for the Pre, i'll still come out way ahead with sprint in less than a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    phone diva, what's this "possibly a cheaper plan if you don't mind CDMA" stuff?

Nothing possible about it but definitely. That is of course if sprint doesn't raise prices on the Everything plans.
    In other words, possibly. Sprint's current money-losing financial situation and customer-bleeding membership numbers don't leave them a lot of room to keep operating at a loss. Like AT&T, Sprint's probably hoping for a "hot phone" to bump up their rates.
    I think they'd love to get people on those plans without raising the price. That's their problem now. Too many sero & prepaid plans.

While everyone of AT&T's iphone customers are giving them at the very least..70 a month. Not just iphone, but BB customers too most likely.

Sprint's problem is that there's not really a phone there that would entice people to pay that much per month. I don't know enough to know if the Instinct was a success for them or not. I heard a lot of bad things about it and don't really consider it a smartphone. The diamond and touch pro had more potential as a consumer phone IMO but no advertising at all.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Alarm on the Iphone and MonkeyBall :-)
    No Alarm and SDK only available after the Pre is out, not sur how I am gonna get up :-)
    I think people will be surprised to see how small the Pre is compared to the iPhone and others.

So I would add physical size\formfactor to list.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    yea, but besides those 20 things u mentioned, how different is the Pre really? ;-) Gotta love these questions from people that obviously haven't spent 2 minutes reading the forums.
    Ding, ding...

Pick your prize.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Come on, everyone knows this is a definitive rip off and clone.

I mean, an OS based around a simple, easy to use, right in your face launcher that has the icons right there for you?

An OS designed with the hope of simplicity over customization and overly advanced features.

Yes, you're exactly right...

How different IS an iPhone from the old Palm OS?

; )

That's what I crack up about when I see people that just recently came into the PDA/Smart phone game.

The only "revolutionary" thing the iPhone really did was introduce multi-touch and more importantly Finger Touching in general into a mobile world that was previously stylus driven.

I mean, seriously. At its very most basic, the iPhone OS closely resembles the old Palm OS layout, made exceedingly more aesthetic.

So what? Now ANY time that a PDA decides it wants to come out and focus on being used with fingers instead of an annoying *** stylus its automatically a "iPhone" clone?

Others in this thread already showed it. The Pre does many things better, or different, than the iPhone does. There are things the iPhone will likely do better than the Pre as well, its just the nature of the market. But they are like saying what's "really" different between a Mac and a Dell.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast