Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    If you have smaller fingers, the iPhone virtual keyboard works fine, but I can see how people with large fingers may not like it. You can accidentally activate the wrong letter, which is why I leave auto-correction on, lol!

HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    But more seriously, i think what you are saying is "How they preceive the phone to be" is more important then basic functionality and cost factors. Am i with you ?
    Lot to Palms' PRPRPR. $What$ $are$ $the$ $pics$ $they$ $decided$ $to$ $send$ $all$ $around$ $recently$? $pictures$ $of$ women semi celebs, holding the Pre at dog and pony photo-op set ups.

the pictues of "real people" using the Pre which palm are sending around on social media like twitter etc are women.

What I am saying is that smartphone are moving into the mainstream. Our metrics here, developed over years of demographics of people here who were niche people on a tech leading edge are a fuzzy filter which can give a distorted view of what is important to the now broader and more heterogeneous target market.

you also to combine the psychological offsets people engage in, in a buying decision. For example watch have been off for a a while before the economic downturn. people maybe rationalizing spending more on handsets than watched, this goes to both higher specs and features well as value of status display for the consumer that the handsets now give.

I just think that you have to recognize that branding is a per se value to the customer. So is simple newness, glitz and bling. These things get humans respect, admiration and mates for a few million years and the contention they are trivial is a mistake.

Brand gives other values. strong brands usually reflect healthy companies. Brand means others on the same decision path have have decide one way and your risk is lower and your decision more efficient in going with their decision as well.

Social or peer marketing is not just about the "pack" it is about understanding an efficiency that has always been used by the human mind, which is a social mind, in decision making.

girl "a" at the bar may have better specs on close examination, but if girl "a" is just alone or with one girlfriend and girl "b" has four guys fawning over her, she will be more attractive to most men for this reason
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    All in all, sounds good to me, even if most of the "masses" won't fully utilize the data capabilities; the volume will drive prices down.
    One major difference is the philosphy of the companies.

Apple is all about control. They like to control every aspect of their device including what goes on it and how it gets there. Hell they do their own commercials. I don't recall ever seeing an AT&T commercial for the iPhone. They only have one phone to worry about. What does the iPhone do out of box. Todays commercial only tell users what it can do with somebody elses app. If apple ever decides to create a CDMA iPhone. Highly doubtful since apple is about control and the more variations of hardware and software you have the less control they can maintain.

Palm on the other hand seems to be more open. They don't do their own commercials and seem to rely on the carrier to promote their products. Of which they have many variations of products. on different carriers with various OS's. They also seem to work with the carriers as to what goes on the phone as seen in the carrier specific apps that the phones come with. Palm also has more experience in the Smartphone arena. One should expect a better experience with a device from Palm, though Palm unfortunately is the PC of phones. It's so diversified that it can't keep up with maintianing all the different devices. One of it's major advantages over all the other phones out there was software. Which with the pre they will lose. This leaves them with only what it has out of box and whatever their marketing guru's can come up with.

Since the iPhone is a status symbol, if Palm wants to compete here they will need to make people beleive that the Pre is the new "orange". Which mean's they will need people of true status talking all about. This is probably why they have been letting celebs play with it. In fact they probably shouldn't even mention the iPhone at all, if they are forced to talk about it they should dismiss it as a device that not even it's league. for instance, "Sure the iPhone is a great media device if your into that sort of thing. The Pre is like having your own personal assistant. It'll keep track of every thing you want it to so you don't have to bother yourself with it and yes it also plays music and videos.."

Palm will also have to show people that what it does out of box, no other device can to. If they can convice people that the Pre's synergy will make their lives easier they might be able to make a sell.

comparing the Pre to the iPhone is like comparing apples to oranges. There's no real comparison. They devices that focus on different things. if you want an iPod that makes phone calls, you get an iphone. If you want something to make your techie life a little easier that also plays music and videos you get a Pre.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    But it's been done all over the internet. Even in the CES demos they made some comments about MMS and removable battery. Even though they didn't say "iPhone", it's easy to see what was going on.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Hi, new poster here. I was just about to get around to buying an iphone finally, until I heard about the Pre and watched a few videos. It looks awesome.

I just have one question, and it may be a daft one. The word is, the Pre will have no desktop sync, which I take it to mean all apps will have to be downloaded by the phone. But this doesn't preclude transfering music and videos between the phone and a PC, does it?

Like I say, probably a daft question, but would appreciate clarification.

Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackJacksBack View Post
    Hi, new poster here. I was just about to get around to buying an iphone finally, until I heard about the Pre and watched a few videos. It looks awesome.

I just have one question, and it may be a daft one. The word is, the Pre will have no desktop sync, which I take it to mean all apps will have to be downloaded by the phone. But this doesn't preclude transfering music and videos between the phone and a PC, does it?

Like I say, probably a daft question, but would appreciate clarification.

Cheers.
    Those videos showed it to you pretty good, your right . You can download apps directly on the phone and I believed I've read somewhere that developers can let you "sidejack" in apps from the desktop, basically download app on the computer and just drag and drop it on the phone with that usb drive mode. For music and videos, yeah they like you to use the USB to transfer big files like that onto the device.
    THanks for that LupeValenz.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackJacksBack View Post
    THanks for that LupeValenz.
    Your welcome and Welcome to TC
    Quote Originally Posted by dd4618 View Post
    it's really hard for me to believe base on my personal experience...
    +1 for me. +1 for my boss, +1 for my brother inlaw, +1 for the father of one of my daughters friends.........
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

I have had an iPhone for about a week now and believe it to be a wonderful device. Yes, I have had a few crashes, but nothing that has made me do a reset. Man, this is a great device.

Please note I did not say it is a great PHONE. Mine is going back in a few days. ATT's phone service is sub-standard for me. I live in Austin TX and travel to Houston & Dallas. I am supposed to be in full 3G coverage at my home, but it constantly switches between 3G and EDGE. Not that big of deal as I can use wifi for the web, but call quality is impacted and I have come to expect my calls to be very clear - land-like in quality - and Sprint has spoiled me. As I travel to Houston, I don't expect 3G for that entire drive, but I do expect to make a call and actually carry on a conversation when I need to. I don't have this problem with Sprint. My family and business partner can tell distinctly between the quality of the the two services. I can too - I have clients in Dallas and Houston that have iPhone's and always thought their calls did not sound as well as mine on Sprint, but I was seduced to try the Jesus phone anyway!

IMO, actual call QUALITY is better on CDMA overall. One might say "I never had a problem with my ATT service" but if you have not been on Sprint or Verizon lately, most people just assume the quality is good because you can hear the person on the other side.

The caveat here is that no single carrier has good coverage everywhere - they all have their pros/cons. But crap, I live in Texas, home of ATT and travel between 3 of the 4 largest cities and I expect better service. Real shame the iPhone came to ATT first, IMO.

If you need to use the iPhone as an actual phone, test it first in your primary calling area before you port any numbers. It was worth it to me to spend the $60-70 bucks to do so. Guess I am now waiting on the Pre or the next HTC devices (or maybe even the new BB Niagara). But until either ATT greatly improves their service or the iPhone comes to Verizon, I will be on the Jesus phone sidelines.
    Same here. Just a different area. I can step outside and literally go from one to four bars on the iphone..drive down the street and have no bars. Calls dropped left and right even though the coverage map says i should be good to go.

I will say when i'm in a 3g area and stay there, it functions fine. Calls still not as clear or loud as my centro used to be, but ok enough. Not comfortable to use as a phone for long.

Sprint though is 3g all around me and includes my area. Getting a Pre is a nobrainer for me since much of what i like about the iphone is in the Pre.
    The only thing that still has me undecided about the Pre is the screen size - and maybe the keyboard. I really like the iPhone's display (and the Storm's - tried one of those too and may go back once it is working better). Though the Pre's is only about 1/4" smaller, that can make a difference.

I am really looking forward to seeing it "live" - then I will decided to jump or wait on the new HTC Diamond or TP2 (which I have to admit, that conference call/speaker phone looks sweet as long as Sprint brings that actual version to the US).
    Ahhh..AHHH! I need to cleanse myself of the apple koolaid's. Just got back from reading a site going on and on how the iPhone will kill the Pre and how apple listens to their customers. I didn't know the apple juice was so powerful to make them deaf to other iphone users calling out for Cut and paste, video recording, and push notifications with apple not giving it to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Ahhh..AHHH! I need to cleanse myself of the apple koolaid's. Just got back from reading a site going on and on how the iPhone will kill the Pre and how apple listens to their customers. I didn't know the apple juice was so powerful to make them deaf to other iphone users calling out for Cut and paste, video recording, and push notifications with apple not giving it to them.
    If your customers were dumb enough to pay you 2.5x more than market price for a pretty product, wouldn't you listen to them too?
    Apple knows what's best for you. Here, let me change the color a bit, increase the storage, change a few icons around, update google maps and cha ching...the iphone 3.0. Now quit foaming at the mouth, we got plenty. Its only 299 (for those out of contract..sorry iphone 3g users) and a deal with the devil (at&t). The line starts back here.

All this and a phone too..
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    wrong place. sorry.
    I don't see how anyone can truly answer the OPs question when no one has really even used the Pre. Just my .02
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234