Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    phone diva, what's this "possibly a cheaper plan if you don't mind CDMA" stuff?
    Nothing possible about it but definitely. That is of course if sprint doesn't raise prices on the Everything plans.
    Cardfan: you and the 5% of the people who are rational look at plans first. But itr is demonstrably clear most people don't.

Forget iphone v Pre: of the identical phones ATT and Sprint sell, why is ATT doing so much better? Because people perceive ATT as better and worth the difference in plan costs! I am not saying they are right, but simply that they existence in much larger numbers is a fact.

Given the fact that right now people are people leaving sprint for ATT for the entire time these same cheap Sprint plans have been in place, you have to acknowledge that people are not considering price the way you (and I) are.

Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    yea, but besides those 20 things u mentioned, how different is the Pre really? ;-) Gotta love these questions from people that obviously haven't spent 2 minutes reading the forums.
    Good point but not the points that most people will decide on. Most people decide these purchase on social influence criteria more than features. EG Do lots of people you admire in you social circle have it?

You and I may agree or disagree on the 10 functional advantages Pre may have and the 10 advantages iphone may have but that is not how most people decide these purchases.

The question for most will be: do influential people in their direct social circle or influences in their media circles say it is is
    • hot,
    • simple to use
    • will make your friends admire you
    • Shows you have money
    • Conveys status

There have been more functional phones on Sprint than the iphone the entire time.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    There have been more functional phones on Sprint than the iphone the entire time.
    This is true--actually my 755p has more capabilities than the iPhone (though it has some the 755p doesn't as well--gps, wifi). But the iPhone is clearly greater than the sum of its parts. There aren't any phones that combine a powerful set of features and such a beautiful, easy to use interface. This is what makes the iPhone so incredibly desirable. It is a joy to use (as long as you don't plan on doing much typing, imo, though I know some people don't mind the keyboard). People get this. There are a lot of dumb sheep out there, but I think the trendsetters do gravitate to particular gadgets for rational reasons.

Nothing on Sprint hits the combination of powerful features and beautiful UI yet. Many phones have one or the other. Instinct has a nice UI. The modern WinMo phones have powerful features. The Pre, on the other hand, will have both, and it will have even greater power, and an even more attractive UI. There are iPhone users who have seen Pre demos, and some have said that it makes their iPhone feel old. This is what makes the Pre an amazing device. The question is whether it will be enough to bring the large numbers of customers that Sprint and Palm both desperately need. I think it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Come on, everyone knows this is a definitive rip off and clone.

I mean, an OS based around a simple, easy to use, right in your face launcher that has the icons right there for you?

An OS designed with the hope of simplicity over customization and overly advanced features.

Yes, you're exactly right...

How different IS an iPhone from the old Palm OS?

; )

That's what I crack up about when I see people that just recently came into the PDA/Smart phone game.

The only "revolutionary" thing the iPhone really did was introduce multi-touch and more importantly Finger Touching in general into a mobile world that was previously stylus driven.

I mean, seriously. At its very most basic, the iPhone OS closely resembles the old Palm OS layout, made exceedingly more aesthetic.

So what? Now ANY time that a PDA decides it wants to come out and focus on being used with fingers instead of an annoying *** stylus its automatically a "iPhone" clone?

Others in this thread already showed it. The Pre does many things better, or different, than the iPhone does. There are things the iPhone will likely do better than the Pre as well, its just the nature of the market. But they are like saying what's "really" different between a Mac and a Dell.
    One other thing that the iPhone brought was an incredible browser to surf the web with. Before that, it was kinda bad surfing the net on mobile devices and tend to surf mobile sites more than the full website. Now with the iPhone browser, I tend to surf the full websites instead of the mobile sites. Thats another feature I love from the Pre, the nice browser
    Great point. Going back to the megapixel race in cameras, most good reviewers will say they don't want more pixels. But this is the feature that grabs consumers and influences their buying decisions.

Smartphones are relatively new still to consumers. Price, storage, brand, and looks i think are the main grabbers for a majority.

Even in ads, they got 30secs to grab your attention and try to influence a sale. They won't be able to explain the benefits of every feature or how it makes you different. Apple really does a good job in this regard showing off the eyecandy, its multitouch and finger swiping in every commercial.

It'll be interesting to see how the Pre is marketed.

In regard to how people view plans, i think you are right. You never hear much about it. Even in these forums, people were and still are more concerned with the price of the phone itself. I'm not sure if you meant a higher price = more perceived quality which translates into people thinking at&t is better quality. But the same principle would apply to the price of the phone itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    This is true--actually my 755p has more capabilities than the iPhone (though it has some the 755p doesn't as well--gps, wifi). But the iPhone is clearly greater than the sum of its parts. There aren't any phones that combine a powerful set of features and such a beautiful, easy to use interface. This is what makes the iPhone so incredibly desirable. It is a joy to use (as long as you don't plan on doing much typing, imo, though I know some people don't mind the keyboard). People get this. There are a lot of dumb sheep out there, but I think the trendsetters do gravitate to particular gadgets for rational reasons.

Nothing on Sprint hits the combination of powerful features and beautiful UI yet. Many phones have one or the other. Instinct has a nice UI. The modern WinMo phones have powerful features. The Pre, on the other hand, will have both, and it will have even greater power, and an even more attractive UI. There are iPhone users who have seen Pre demos, and some have said that it makes their iPhone feel old. This is what makes the Pre an amazing device. The question is whether it will be enough to bring the large numbers of customers that Sprint and Palm both desperately need. I think it will.
    well said.
    Oh one other thing that makes it different than the iPhone. When your on the phone, then get to your desk, place the Pre on the Touchstone and it will automatically go to speaker phone. Very nice. I know I'm getting that accessory.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Try reading one of the other 50 posts comparing the Pre and the iPhone.
    yeah really .... as if this hasn;t been covered before

Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    First, and foremost;
    Palm (not apple)

The following are a few I jotted down and are in no particular order;
    Synergy
    Layered calendars,
    Universal search,
    WebOS
    Anticipates your appointment needs,
    Proximity sensor,
    Ringer switch,
    Removable, rechargeable battery,
    Touchstone,
    Physical Qwerty Kb,

And most important;
    PreCentral
    Good list. Cut & paste, like ladyTreo mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Who are these "we" people you keep referring to? Count me out of that "we" group.
    Count =me out as well

Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    Love it !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post

How different IS an iPhone from the old Palm OS?

; )
    Very nice !! But hey, Plam droped the ball and fell way behind. So know everything must be compared to the iphone. that's how it works. But i think i agree w/ Rgoer Mckafree (Sp?). They are not trying to out do the ipohne, there is enough business for Apple, Rim and Palm.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    Rgoer Mckafree (Sp?).
    Oh my, thanks for the laugh B-model, that was hilarious
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    ^ I have to tell you, that wasn't meant to be like that. I didn't know his last name. How i screwed up his name that bad i have no idea.
    da Gimp

All in good fun, I enjoyed the laugh either way.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post

The question for most will be: do influential people in their direct social circle or influences in their media circles say it is is
    • hot,
    • simple to use
    • will make your friends admire you
    • Shows you have money
    • Conveys status
    i just re read this.. is this a list for a phone or for a girlfriend ? ha !

But more seriously, i think what you are saying is "How they preceive the phone to be" is more important then basic functionality and cost factors. Am i with you ?
    da Gimp

sadly, i think he's right..
    If Palm wants my sale, they better release soon before Apple comes out with features that make the new iPhone irresistible.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    By definition, if something is irresistible, wouldn't you be compelled to get it whether or not the Pre was out?
    Just call me Berd.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    After taking into consideration reply-post #10 and after veiwing this matter along with my board members...

...Ok so, maybe not all cheerleaders.. (some have good points.)
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    If Palm wants my sale, they better release soon before Apple comes out with features that make the new iPhone irresistible.
    Coming from a Treo 650 to a 680, then to an IPhone, I get the dilema. I use my IPhone as a business tool, mainly. I love it and couldn't do what I do without it. I recall that the reason I switched is that both my 650 and 680 were so damned buggy that I'd loose money, the cost of an IPhone, in one day on resets and dropped calls. Sure the IPhone's software structure was similar to Palm's, but everything worked well consistently on the IPhone. No dropped calls, no resets, no software hangups. It was a finished product when they released it. Now, that Palm Pre looks like an improved IPhone. It is tempting. It is well thought out. But will it have Palm's funtionality or IPhone's? Since the guy from Apple was the project manager for the Pre, it is promising. But I'm not switching back to a Palm until I hear that it works as promised.
    Are you kidding? No dropped calls with the iphone???!!?? No crashes? No lag? No buggy apps? No resets?

You're a lucky iphone user I've had more of these problems with the iphone than with my old centro for sure.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz
    One other thing that the iPhone brought was an incredible browser to surf the web with. Before that, it was kinda bad surfing the net on mobile devices and tend to surf mobile sites more than the full website. Now with the iPhone browser, I tend to surf the full websites instead of the mobile sites. Thats another feature I love from the Pre, the nice browser
    Touche! You're correct, while there was robust browsing available for Windows Mobile and others prior to that, the iPhone really brought the whole "Desktop browsing" scene fully into smart phones.

Gotta give credit to the iPhone where credit is due. I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    By definition, if something is irresistible, wouldn't you be compelled to get it whether or not the Pre was out?
    that sure is ...
    da Gimp

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast