Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The new "Palm Pre" sounded great until you look close. Why would Palm walk away from what makes Palm great? That being a "stand alone device." Say it ain't so Palm?

Palm's coping the winpy iphone that need it's "momie computer" to do basic must do transporting of files to make it work. The iphone has to depend on the Apple PC or laptop to do many tasks. Like putting in music files, pictures, etc; iphone needs a regular computer to do a lot of the loading and unloading of files, programs, etc for the iphone. And no removable SD card in the "Pre"! This means using the USB constantly. And connecting to a main computer, setting up files for everthing all the time. That makes it similar to iphone.

More and more Devices, even my new HD TV now takes SD cards straight from of my Treo now! Sorry Palm Pre. Looks like I and many that like the full computer Treo won't be buying. Hell, we would have bought a iphone by now if we wanted to go backwards!

Taking all comments pro and against!...
    Last edited by positron; 02/21/2009 at 11:29 PM.
    Ugh... No comment.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I don't get it... what's a "momie computer"?
    I think your wrong about the Pre, and mostly wrong about the current iPhone too. Apps and Music can now be purchased right from the phone. What is it that your talking about?

Also, name a way you can get pictures into a Treo that you can't on an iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by positron View Post
    That makes it similar to iphone.
    LOL. As if most phones aren't trying to imitate the iPhone nowadays. Yea it's like the iPhone, so what? Is that a reason for someone to dislike the Pre?

As far as the "momie computer" theory goes, I'd like to point out that even if you had a removable microSD available in the Pre, 99% of your file moving would still be done at the "momie computer" (that's where my file transport has been done on all my Treos and they're not like iPhones at all ). Where else you gonna move the files from?

The only other plausible advantage of removable storage is being able to move data from device to device (which is still important imo, but not a deal breaker for myself personally). Somehow I don't think being able to take SD cards from our phones and put them in our HDTV's is a selling point for most people, especially considering you'd have to fumble with a microSD-->SD adaptor too.
    "Why would Palm walk away from what makes Palm great?"

Answer: Because being on the verge of bankruptcy - it's obviously not great enough to be beating RIM or Apple in the market right now is it?

Palm obviously did their market research. The product they created has generated a lot of buzz, interest, anticipation, and renewed excitement in Palm. Of course there are a lot of loyal Palm users out there who wish it were more like their old Palm, had expansion slot, etc etc. I wish it had one too, but guess the ****** what? I wasn't at the design room table when they planned it all out. And guess what else? They will still sell millions despite me buying one or not. For every person that says they won't buy one...there's probably thousands that will.
    AND to add to that... this has WIFI. So yeah... think along the lines of file sharing in your home network when that app gets developed for webOS.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    LOL. As if most phones aren't trying to imitate the iPhone nowadays. Yea it's like the iPhone, so what? Is that a reason for someone to dislike the Pre?

As far as the "momie computer" theory goes, I'd like to point out that even if you had a removable microSD available in the Pre, 99% of your file moving would still be done at the "momie computer" (that's where my file transport has been done on all my Treos and they're not like iPhones at all ). Where else you gonna move the files from?

The only other plausible advantage of removable storage is being able to move data from device to device (which is still important imo, but not a deal breaker for myself personally). Somehow I don't think being able to take SD cards from our phones and put them in our HDTV's is a selling point for most people, especially considering you'd have to fumble with a microSD-->SD adaptor too.
    First, I'm in the Treo camp that uses programs to make the "hit or mis," file transporting and backing-up via USB to PC obsolete. I and others do 90-100% of Treo applications/transporting without a PC. (Even opening multi app "ZIP" files totally on Treo now. via "Explorer")

Second about the micro SD card fumbling, I guess I never had that problem: my Treo takes full size SD cards. (even hoping for firmware that boosts Treo up to the 32Gig SD)

And last about the Wi-Fi, yes I was happy about that, until I read on the print-out of the "Pre" at my network store that said: "Unavailable"

I'm sure many like yourself will be happy. But many like me, maybe even a majority of Treo users see these things as a deal breaker. Or, we'll wait for the down the line "3G Pre"?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    "Why would Palm walk away from what makes Palm great?"

Answer: Because being on the verge of bankruptcy - it's obviously not great enough to be beating RIM or Apple in the market right now is it?

Palm obviously did their market research. The product they created has generated a lot of buzz, interest, anticipation, and renewed excitement in Palm. Of course there are a lot of loyal Palm users out there who wish it were more like their old Palm, had expansion slot, etc etc. I wish it had one too, but guess the ****** what? I wasn't at the design room table when they planned it all out. And guess what else? They will still sell millions despite me buying one or not. For every person that says they won't buy one...there's probably thousands that will.
    Yea, good points: "bankruptcy" etc. And yes I wish I was at that design room too for this new Palm along with others like yourself.

But, somehow I think if all the Palm Treo users were there giving them an ear full at the designing, that wanted SD cards etc etc, it wouldn't have mattered . That's because often, bankruptcy asided, there are often other future agendas and goals at companies. And by their backers...
    Quote Originally Posted by positron View Post
    But, somehow I think if all the Palm Treo users were there giving them an ear full at the designing, that wanted SD cards etc etc, it wouldn't have mattered . That's because often, bankruptcy asided, there are often other future agendas and goals at companies. And by their backers...
    Exactly... I mean I trust the direction Palm is going. It's better than the direction they were going right before - which was down. Plus - like they stated at CES, the Pre is just the beginning of a LINE of products that will be using the new WebOS. I'm excited to imagine what else they have up their sleeve. I think that since they have the whole Apple crew now, they will be cranking out some awesome products at a great pace - and I'm sure we'll be hearing in CES 2010 "And by popular demand...we brought an EXTERNAL CARD SLOT!"
    Umm.. using computers in conjunction with their phones is what people have been trained to do. Palm must cater to the people today... not this mythical market that had moved beyond sync programs to get media on the device.

One shot, one device, one chance to turn things around. I wouldn't chance it on being too cute... if i was palm. I still think they need a desktop sync (as an option) and to make their app catalog and the amazon store part of it... or palm will just be repeating past mistakes. You have to treat consumers as if they need their hand held.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Umm.. using computers in conjunction with their phones is what people have been trained to do.
    I'm not sure what percentage the market "smart" phones represent, but the VAST majority of people don't use computers with their cell phones. They open it, talk or text message, and put it away.

Then again, I'm not sure WTF a "moh-mee" computer is. My bet is that the poster meant "mommie", and even then I don't get it.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Funny. Some people are coplaining there is no desktop sync and the OP is complaining that Palm still needs a "momie computer". I guess you can't please everybody, or anybody in this case. Although I don't see why you need a computer at all. There will be an app store and cloud syncing. The only reason for a computer is to tranfer large amounts of data, like a music collection or movies.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    The OP was trying to be cute with the term "momie computer" and many of his points are debatable, but the lack of a expansion slot will be a deal breaker to many. For example, if you want 3rd party turn by turn directions that are native to your device (e.g., GarminXT or iNav) you MUST have a micro-SD slot. That's because all of the major GPS software providers with WinMobile applications have started to copy protect their software to micro-SD cards.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    And I should add I know that WebOS is not WinMobile but if they decided to copy protect their software for WM devices then it is reasonable to expect the same policy for any other mobile OS. Since the Pre does not have such a slot then I'd expect these companies to put off porting the apps over to WebOS until there is a device with a micro-SD slot and enough consumer demand to make it worth the time/money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    Also, name a way you can get pictures into a Treo that you can't on an iphone.
    I don't know much about Iphones, but I know I won't be able to snap a picture with my camera, pop in the microSD card in the Pre and upload/email it somewhere. This is something I've been able to do with my Treo 650 (SD), 750 (miniSD) and Pro (microSD).
    I will most likely buy the Pre anyway, but I will miss this particular feature.

And while we are at it, does anyone have a solution for this problem; Getting images from a digital camera (with a SD-card slot) onto teh intartubes with a Palm Pre?
    I'm guessing I need a third device. What is that third device, how much does it cost and where do I get it?
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    frause: Simplest way would be to upload the picture to a networked computer and then use Wi-Fi to pull it over to the Pre.
    Shouldn't that be spelled "mommy" ?
    Just thought if you'd want to make a point, start by sounding literate.
    iPhone 8GB on T-Mo
    Quote Originally Posted by jwebb56 View Post
    frause: Simplest way would be to upload the picture to a networked computer and then use Wi-Fi to pull it over to the Pre.
    That /would/ be the simplest way if only the Pre (or Treo) weren't the only networked computer available.

Yes! That is exactly what I'm talking about. Didn't know those existed. Thanks!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast