Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by positron View Post
    I'm getting 5Mb-6Mb/min on my network now? I downloaded a 10-min movie clip in under two mins.
    Sorry for the confusion here, when I said 5mb+ download speeds I mean 5megabits per second. In more familiar terms, that's ~500k/sec. Your 10-min movie would have taken but 10-15 seconds on 5mb connection, not 2 minutes. Can you imagine how long a feature length film would take on your current connection?
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by celsian View Post
    Sorry for the confusion here, when I said 5mb+ download speeds I mean 5megabits per second. In more familiar terms, that's ~500k/sec. Your 10-min movie would have taken but 10-15 seconds on 5mb connection, not 2 minutes. Can you imagine how long a feature length film would take on your current connection?
    Let's cut the rate down to 4-Mb/min which is more average. At that rate it would take about (8-hours) Yes, it would be better to let PC download a (full) 2-Gig movie.

But, doing it over night, and with some tricks, like compression, and or small format, then using say TCPMP or other, maybe only 3-hours. But that's if you were stranded somewhere and needed a diversion.

But the main thing is, without a SD card Palm turns into a Toy, just like iphone. It then degrades into the realm of amusement, and is no longer a credible technological tool to be used in or at an industrial or professional level.
    It Palm would then be strickly a consumer item no longer capable of caring for, or regenerating it's system in the field, emergency, or other on it's own.

Strickly a toy now. That's the very opposite reason I and many bought Palm. It "was" a real piece of technology; advanced, over the cellphone's and could be used not just for fun: for (real) working applicatons.
    Last edited by positron; 02/24/2009 at 02:21 PM.
    But the main thing is, without a SD card Palm turns into a Toy, just like iphone. It then degrades into the realm of amusement, and is no longer a credible technological tool to be used in or at an industrial or professional level.
    It Palm would then be strickly a consumer item no longer capable of caring for, or regenerating it's system in the field, emergency, or other.
    How is that a criterion for a device being "credible" or "professional"? You guys act like every business smartphone is primarily used in some remote location where you're lucky to have electricity and running water. Most professionals I know who work remotely and have company-issued smartphones also have company-issued laptops which are perfectly capable of restoring of backing up all of their data. They're also capable of restoring devices on the fly, but most companies I've worked for don't allow employees to do that and have them turn 'em back in to the admin (same guy who ensures their contacts and data is backed up remotely and pushes installs and updates) or tech guy for restoration, just as they would when there is a laptop problem.
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    How is that a criterion for a device being "credible" or "professional"? You guys act like every business smartphone is primarily used in some remote location where you're lucky to have electricity and running water. Most professionals I know who work remotely and have company-issued smartphones also have company-issued laptops which are perfectly capable of restoring of backing up all of their data. They're also capable of restoring devices on the fly, but most companies I've worked for don't allow employees to do that and have them turn 'em back in to the admin (same guy who ensures their contacts and data is backed up remotely and pushes installs and updates) or tech guy for restoration, just as they would when there is a laptop problem.
    There are millions of people in jobs that don't like or want to lug a laptop around. In fact as stated earlier, movie makers, scientist, sportsmen etc, etc; I've seem many times with a Palm only.

Now when the full crew and corporate machinery/ staff comes: yes.
    But millions depend on small quick portable devices. And more would leave the more delicate and big laplop at home, if they could have a PC in their pocket.

That is where we all, or many thought Plam was going to continue to go. But "Pre" is clearly headed backwards to the "toy" market. At least it's that to many of the (Palm standard) Palm owners I've talked too. Especially after they read and realize what no SD card really Means.
    Last edited by positron; 02/24/2009 at 03:07 PM.
    There are millions of people in jobs that don't like or want to lug a laptop around. In fact as stated earlier, movie makers, scientist, sportsmen etc, etc; I've seem many times with a Palm only.
    Sorry...if there were so many "millions" of loyal diehard Palm users currently, Palm would be in a lot better financial shape. And I don't buy that there are millions of Americans working remotely regularly without access to a laptop or desktop either. Whatever your anecdotal evidence is, mine is completely contrary (and just as useless, scientifically-speaking) and I have never seen a serious corporate employee who works regularly and remotely without a computer. NEVER.

Even the non-corporate/creative types pride themselves on having MacBooks, Netbooks, and/or iPhones.

Now when the full crew and corporate machinery/ staff yes.
    But millions depend on small quick portable, devices. And more would leave the more delicate and big laplop at home, if they could have a PC in their pocket.
    These small, quick, and portable devices are called laptops. And it's how almost anyone affiliated with a company of any size or repute remotely works.

That is what we all, or many thought Plam was going to continue to go. But "Pre" is clearly headed backwards to the "toy" market. At least it's that to many of the (Palm standard) Palm owners I've talked too. Especially after they read and realize was no SD card really Means.
    Buddy, I use no physical media on a daily basis. Installs are done remotely. Data is emailed or put up on Sharepoint or another content management system. Images are backed up remotely to servers during downtimes. My laptop's CD drive has been dormant for years. So my phone not being reliant on physical means it's modern, not antiquated. That's the way it is for most people, my friend. I've worked with IBM, Nokia, huge international hotel chains, Cox and Charter, MetLife, Blue Cross, 4 different state governments, and countless other firms. I've never seen them operate remotely any other way.
    Is the Pre it?
    Is the Pre the only WebOS device Palm is ever going to make?
    I would guess; far from it.
    I see the Pre as a device to leap forward and grab as big of customer base they can get.

If the Pre isn't for us, it isn't for us.
    I will be sticking with my Treo Pro.

Maybe many of us hoped Palm was going to take care of all our POS needs/wants, but they instead created something new.

I really believe they did the right thing.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Is the Pre it?
    Is the Pre the only WebOS device Palm is ever going to make?
    I would guess; far from it.
    I see the Pre as a device to leap forward and grab as big of customer base they can get.

If the Pre isn't for us, it isn't for us.
    I will be sticking with my Treo Pro.

Maybe many of us hoped Palm was going to take care of all our POS needs/wants, but they instead created something new.

I really believe they did the right thing.
    Absolutely. I just kinda scratch my head at these 24-esque scenarios where so much rides on the shoulders of ONE MAN (or lady, as the case may be) when in the real world things that matter that much to any company (or even a private business owner) aren't riding on just one person with one Treo - and if they can't do a SD backup in the field....the nuclear bomb goes off!?!?

It just doesn't work like that in too many cases. Backups aren't some luxury employees can opt for or not as their whims take them. They're either compelled to do so at all times or they're done for them remotely. Business phones are usually locked down, and an admin (running SyncML or something like that) pulls most of the strings. And it's not as if physical media is immune to failure, misplacement, or inadequacy. There's no perfect solution for everybody.
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Sorry...if there were so many "millions" of loyal diehard Palm users currently, Palm would be in a lot better financial shape. And I don't buy that there are millions of Americans working remotely regularly without access to a laptop or desktop either. Whatever your anecdotal evidence is, mine is completely contrary (and just as useless, scientifically-speaking) and I have never seen a serious corporate employee who works regularly and remotely without a computer. NEVER.

Even the non-corporate/creative types pride themselves on having MacBooks, Netbooks, and/or iPhones.

These small, quick, and portable devices are called laptops. And it's how almost anyone affiliated with a company of any size or repute remotely works.
    How could you Mis-Read my statment That badly! No One said the millions were Palm Users.

If you want to use a loptop go Ahead..

Most people I see in professions outside of being sent by "Oracle," "GM," etc, use the smallest device they can (unless against company policy.) Also many businesses, owners, etc also same.

Just to give one example of many as already stated, you scout a film location jugging a laptop around. Not pratical many times and in many jobs, private and public.

Also I've seen this over the last few years, as have many others. Also I'm one of those people.
    Palm Only, if you can. Or have too.

More and more previous Palm users I talk to are not positive about the Pre once they realize what no SD really means.

I and many see it as a toy compared to Past Palms.
    Last edited by positron; 02/24/2009 at 04:49 PM.
    The more I can get done without needing my laptop the better.
    If the Pre moves me in the opposite direction 'I' want to go, then I won't get it.

I moved away from Palm OS when it wouldn't go where I wanted to go.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Positron, ok, so I'm not a business user so I suspect I don't fully grasp this whole issue... but I am very confused by some of these examples you're using. What kind of scientist doesn't use a computer? What does a film location scout have to do with anything? I can't imagine having or not having an sd card slot affecting the use of a Pre at all.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Positron, ok, so I'm not a business user so I suspect I don't fully grasp this whole issue... but I am very confused by some of these examples you're using. What kind of scientist doesn't use a computer? What does a film location scout have to do with anything? I can't imagine having or not having an sd card slot affecting the use of a Pre at all.
    Where have you been living, a cave? Let's not be silly.

If you want to talk about the down grading of the "Pre" or tech fine. .(and read the previous post all was gone over) But I'm not getting into a diversion back and forth type nonsense. "I see a montain, No I see Snow" sillyness.

The "Pre"compared to past Palm's has most I talk to after realizing no SD card alarmed or out right saying: They wan't get one. I'm included unless they add SD.and not turn Palm/Pre into what many see as a toy..
    Last edited by positron; 02/24/2009 at 05:40 PM.
    So this is another 'No SD' thread?

Either way; if Palm made a big mistake, we will see soon enough.
    I use my iPhone for business eveyday. Yes, I said iPhone and business in the same sentence. I have not had a problem in performing the duties needed. I'm in IT and have to access servers as well as handle numerous emails, calendar events, tasks, etc. I also keep my checkbook, passwords, and other financial apps on the iPhone. I have not been harmed by the lack of SD card. I keep a few movies and quite a few songs on the device. I don't overload it with media. To me, it's work first then entertainment.

I am waiting on the Pre. I think the capabilities it has over the iPhone is appealing, assuming they work as demonstrated. The lack of SD card does not sway me at all.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    I use my iPhone for business eveyday. Yes, I said iPhone and business in the same sentence. I have not had a problem in performing the duties needed. I'm in IT and have to access servers as well as handle numerous emails, calendar events, tasks, etc. I also keep my checkbook, passwords, and other financial apps on the iPhone. I have not been harmed by the lack of SD card. I keep a few movies and quite a few songs on the device. I don't overload it with media. To me, it's work first then entertainment.

I am waiting on the Pre. I think the capabilities it has over the iPhone is appealing, assuming they work as demonstrated. The lack of SD card does not sway me at all.
    Well alright a big vote thumbs-up to take away a major capabilty of the Palm, from a iphone user.

And a happy iphone user is just hanging out on a Palm site. This is great.

Over a majority of Palm users are very unhappy reguarding the no SD card and depending on a network or PC: about 70%. At least the ones I've run into that see SD backup and removable expansion card is taken away in the "Pre."

No need for the, (Let's downgrade Palm to iphone level), to post, I'm sure you see opposite amonts..

The facts will come out.. If we wanted a toy, that has to depend on other devices, we along with many would have gotten a ipone by now.
    Last edited by positron; 02/24/2009 at 06:21 PM.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Where have you been living, a cave? Let's not be silly.

If you want to talk about the down grading of the "Pre" or tech fine. .(and read the previous post all was gone over) But I'm not getting into a diversion back and forth type nonsense. "I see a montain, No I see Snow" sillyness.

The "Pre"compared to past Palm's has most I talk to after realizing no SD card alarmed or out right saying: They wan't get one. I'm included unless they add SD.and not turn Palm/Pre into what many see as a toy..
    I am very confused. You said this:

Now when the full crew and corporate machinery/ staff comes: yes.
    But millions depend on small quick portable devices. And more would leave the more delicate and big laplop at home, if they could have a PC in their pocket.

That is where we all, or many thought Plam was going to continue to go. But "Pre" is clearly headed backwards to the "toy" market. At least it's that to many of the (Palm standard) Palm owners I've talked too. Especially after they read and realize what no SD card really Means.
    Then you specifically emphasize:
    Most people I see in professions outside of being sent by "Oracle," "GM," etc, use the smallest device they can (unless against company policy.) Also many businesses, owners, etc also same.

Just to give one example of many as already stated, you scout a film location jugging a laptop around. Not pratical many times and in many jobs, private and public.
    What is the point of your examples if they don't apply to topic at hand? The first was a direct reply about mikah912's post about most professionals having access to some kind of computer. You counter his post with a list of people that don't (at least that's what you're trying to claim), and just use Palms. But that list is just so irrelevant.

First of all, again... What kind of scientists don't use computers? And then... How do the others examples rufute what mikah912 was saying?

And second of all, so maybe movie makers and sportsmen don't want to lug laptops around with them... but how has anything that Palm has done with the Pre take away from wanting to buy a Pre?

I just do not see the connection. Are you saying the G1, iphone, BB, or WM is better suited to their needs? How so? Is this just obvious to everyone else, and I'm being slow on this issue?

I assume one of the major points of those two posts of yours was to say that there are large chunks of professionals that don't want to carry laptops with them, and Palm almost designed something that would be perfect for them, but a couple major design flaws takes away from that possibility. Yet your examples don't back up this claim.
    Last edited by Gerorne; 02/24/2009 at 07:14 PM.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    This is the most irrelevant thread ever. The OP made no sense, and it hasn't made sense yet. Most every post replying to Positron's repeated posts have been attempts in vain to make sense of his ramblings. I am starting to get a bit hostile, but continuing to make sense of this thread has angered me. AAARGH.

Best advice to self: Avoid this thread and stop being so OCD about posts that make absolutely no sense.
    Recap:

Palm should have/haven't done what they did.

OR

Palm is/isn't making a mistake.

<<closed>>
    Just call me Berd.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234