Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    What if we keep things the same and just reframe them a bit. Instead of referring to it as a mommy computer, what if we call it a "honey/lover computer". Instead of viewing the PC as a mommy taking care of the little Pre, think of it a file download as a great date. If it's just a contact sync, it would be more of a booty call? No?

Now that's marketing
  2.    #42  
    Oh My! I just realized, that without a SD card or slot, you can No-Longer back-up your entire Treo or "Pre" anywhere at anytime! And you can not replace files away from home without pulling out a cable or sync to "cloud" etc and hoping that all needed items make it back.

Many times because of gliches bad cable etc some files don't make-it; either there or back. But if things go great, computers fail, or get stolen etc. This having no SD card now means that you can't keep a back-up of your Treo or "Pre" with you on the other back-up card in an emergency! Whether at home or Hawaii cruse ship; in the woods or walking through airport, with back-up card, you just pop it in and it/ SD program goes to work while you keep walking or driving in those emergencies, and or Palm "Pre" total wipe-outs.

My "SD dependent" backup program automatically backs-up entire Treo (with the settings) every 30mins or hour, day etc. {Cables, Sync's, far away files, no in your pocket backup, etc etc?...}

This is Worse than I first Thought!
    Last edited by positron; 02/23/2009 at 02:23 PM.
    Yes, if you look you'll see that problem mentioned numerous times on threads here. I'd imagine it would be possible to do backups by trickle over the air, but restoring the whole device from a hard reset would be slow that way. And you'd be dependent on having a wireless signal (either CDMA or WiFi.)
    Ergh! I still have no idea what the heck this thread is about. Can't it just go away?
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Ergh! I still have no idea what the heck this thread is about. Can't it just go away?
    This is very serious and important to many people. Many people depend on this piece of equipment. Not to mention in times of emergencies.

But take your own advice. "go away." The Goat, Who's out to devert attention and trying to start deverting Argument.

Good Bye
    Quote Originally Posted by positron View Post
    Hell, we would have bought a iphone by now if we wanted to go backwards!
    ... I'm refraining from laughing...

What exactly do you think is so backwards about the revolutionary iPhone? It IS the phone cell companies are trying to beat...
    This is very serious and important to many people. Many people depend on this piece of equipment. Not to mention in times of emergencies.

But take your own advice. "go away." The Goat, Who's out to devert attention and trying to start deverting Argument.

Good Bye
    I apologize friend. I just never even understood your OP. "Does it need Mommie computer like iPhone?"

What? Why does it need "Mommie Computer"? Pictures and media could be obtained from a variety of sources on the Pre. Not just your PC/Mac. As far as backing up, from what I understand... It may backup to the cloud. Don't think that one's been confirmed though. So is this just yet another argument over the Micro SD slot? Because we have had this debate on many... and I mean MANY other threads. So there is little point in creating a "Mommie Computer" thread.

Backtrack into the iPhone? Now that is just rich. I'm not a fan of the iPhone, yet it has become the industry standard as far as a consumer smartphone goes.

This thread just makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, and it is completely due to your OP.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by celsian View Post

What exactly do you think is so backwards about the revolutionary iPhone? It IS the phone cell companies are trying to beat...
    Compared to Treo/Palm it's not a stand alone, dependable device. It needs a master device. For more just read this thread.

And about everyone now trying to beat iphone. Give this some thought ...Anyone that has had a Palm or Treo knows their engineers/ staff at Palm are not dummies. Why then when iphone came out with the bigger screen and it's general flash would Palm just lay there for all that time until now!

I have ideas, but will let others weigh in on this strange action/ non-action of Palm?...

But No SD card is poison for quick anywhere dependability and back-up that Palm "had" over iphone.
    Compared to Treo/Palm it's not a stand alone, dependable device. It needs a master device. For more just read this thread.

And about everyone now trying to beat iphone. Give this some thought ...Anyone that has had a Palm or Treo knows their engineers/ staff at Palm are not dummies. Why then when iphone came out with the bigger screen and it's general flash would Palm just lay there for all that time until now!
    Perhaps because Palm couldn't find any investors to back the same repetitive B.S. Palm has been producing since the Treo 600. No one is going to support a dying device and it took a revolutionary iPhone-esque like device, like the Pre, to get Palm the support it needed to move forward. We know why Palm continued to "lay there" for all that time, it's because they didn't have anything else to give. Nevertheless, they certainly were not going to get the financial backing they needed if they weren't going to create a device that could be considered the new king of smartphones.

In response to your "Master Device" comment however, the question here is not whether it needs a master device or not, it's whether you can keep that back-up on a wittle card in your back pocket. The Pre is more than capable of syncing with the net and backing-up all your data without ever using a computer. The issue here is whether or not you trust Palm enough to do that. Believe me when I say, if you start a gmail account & a facebook account, you won't ever need to touch a computer again for fear of losing your calendar, contacts or any other precious pieces of information. Including music, apps etc.

Now if you're talking about Movies, then you need to step back and realize that there is no smart phone device on the market than will accept feature length films via any other medium than a "Mommy Computer." If that's the argument, then fine, you guys win, but until we have 5+mbit connections on the cell phone, you can forget about getting them any other way.
    The new "Palm Pre" sounded great until you look close. Why would Palm walk away from what makes Palm great? That being a "stand alone device." Say it ain't so Palm?

Palm's coping the winpy iphone that need it's "momie computer" to do basic must do transporting of files to make it work. The iphone has to depend on the Apple PC or laptop to do many tasks. Like putting in music files, pictures, etc; iphone needs a regular computer to do a lot of the loading and unloading of files, programs, etc for the iphone. And no removable SD card in the "Pre"! This means using the USB constantly. And connecting to a main computer, setting up files for everthing all the time. That makes it similar to iphone.

More and more Devices, even my new HD TV now takes SD cards straight from of my Treo now! Sorry Palm Pre. Looks like I and many that like the full computer Treo won't be buying. Hell, we would have bought a iphone by now if we wanted to go backwards!

Taking all comments pro and against!...
    I am confused........

Let me elaborate. No MMS, no copy and paste, no video recording on a multi-media phone alll seem pretty backwards to me. Especially since all new good phones EXCEPT the iPhone have these options.

Now needing a computer for syncing files, I don't consider backwards, unlike the OP. I'm still not convinced the cloud is safe(at this time) for your files. If I have my phone syncing with it's "mother", I know exactly what's going through where to get to my phone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Perhaps because Palm couldn't find any investors to back the same repetitive B.S. Palm has been producing since the Treo 600. No one is going to support a dying device and it took a revolutionary iPhone-esque like device, like the Pre, to get Palm the support it needed to move forward. We know why Palm continued to "lay there" for all that time, it's because they didn't have anything else to give. Nevertheless, they certainly were not going to get the financial backing they needed if they weren't going to create a device that could be considered the new king of smartphones.

In response to your "Master Device" comment however, the question here is not whether it needs a master device or not, it's whether you can keep that back-up on a wittle card in your back pocket. The Pre is more than capable of syncing with the net and backing-up all your data without ever using a computer. The issue here is whether or not you trust Palm enough to do that. Believe me when I say, if you start a gmail account & a facebook account, you won't ever need to touch a computer again for fear of losing your calendar, contacts or any other precious pieces of information. Including music, apps etc.

Now if you're talking about Movies, then you need to step back and realize that there is no smart phone device on the market than will accept feature length films via any other medium than a "Mommy Computer." If that's the argument, then fine, you guys win, but until we have 5+mbit connections on the cell phone, you can forget about getting them any other way.
    You're aware that both Facebook(confirmed) and possibly Gmail have privacy issues? There's no way I'm relying on those for serious personal contacts or calender issues.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Let me elaborate. No MMS, no copy and paste, no video recording on a multi-media phone alll seem pretty backwards to me. Especially since all new good phones EXCEPT the iPhone have these options.

Now needing a computer for syncing files, I don't consider backwards, unlike the OP. I'm still not convinced the cloud is safe(at this time) for your files. If I have my phone syncing with it's "mother", I know exactly what's going through where to get to my phone.
    I don't know what Apple's problem is with these issues. It seems like any of the above could be fixed with simple software updates in no time at all. Perhaps the problem is the iPhones target market aren't interested in these features or they think it would clutter the simple experience.
    Oh My! I just realized, that without a SD card or slot, you can No-Longer back-up your entire Treo or "Pre" anywhere at anytime! And you can not replace files away from home without pulling out a cable or sync to "cloud" etc and hoping that all needed items make it back.

Many times because of gliches bad cable etc some files don't make-it; either there or back. But if things go great, computers fail, or get stolen etc. This having no SD card now means that you can't keep a back-up of your Treo or "Pre" with you on the other back-up card in an emergency! Whether at home or Hawaii cruse ship; in the woods or walking through airport, with back-up card, you just pop it in and it/ SD program goes to work while you keep walking or driving in those emergencies, and or Palm "Pre" total wipe-outs.

My "SD dependent" backup program automatically backs-up entire Treo (with the settings) every 30mins or hour, day etc. {Cables, Sync's, far away files, no in your pocket backup, etc etc?...}

This is Worse than I first Thought!
    Another reason why desktop sync with "Mother" is necessary since they made that really bad move(IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    I don't know what Apple's problem is with these issues. It seems like any of the above could be fixed with simple software updates in no time at all. Perhaps the problem is the iPhones target market aren't interested in these features or they think it would clutter the simple experience.
    People want MMS and copy and paste. I don't see them yelling for video recording as much, but since it's available on every other decent phone, I don't get why it was left out. I don't think a firmware update can fix that one, a new model would have to do it.

Yes, great part of my concern about lack of memory slot, too. A $30 16GB MicroSD would have provided a full daily backup of the entire 8GB Pre, plus leave 8GB for other uses. I don't care how "reliable" Palm says WebOS is, or how the "cloud" will solve all our data issues - I want a LOCAL backup solution that is reliable and removable.

It wasn't until the Treo 600 that we got it in a smartphone, and the Treos seem to have done pretty well compared to Blackberries and WinceMobs despite running an "ancient" OS. When I've travelled, I was always sure I could recover my calendar, contacts, and other data "on the road" because I had a physical backup on a flash card. Somehow Palm thinks that syncing over an EVDO connection is 100% reliable and that there will never be a need to revert or fix a corrupted database, so they removed the most reliable backup method there was.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    The thread has evolved into a rehashing of removal storage.
    I think the bottom line on this issue is pretty clear.

Obviously removable storage would have been the way to go from a users perspective. I don't see any possible reasonable argument for that.

The excuse that it was done for design reasons is complete BS and PRPRPR $smoke$ $and$ $mirrors$ $in$ $my$ $opinion$. $Lots$ $of$ $tiny$ $devices$ $find$ $room$ $for$ $a$ $memory$ $card$. $Hell$ $I$'$m$ $going$ $to$ $go$ $out$ $on$ $a$ $limb$ $and$ $say$ $most$ $people$ $would$ $rather$ $have$ $removable$ $storage$ $then$ $a$ $full$ $size$ $headphone$ $jack$ $which$ $they$ $are$ $soooo$ $proud$ $of$. ($It$'$s$ $a$ $nice$ $touch$, $but$ $not$ $give$ $up$ $memory$ $card$ $nice$)

The reason they did it is the same reason Apple does it. It makes it possible to sell extremely incremental "hardware refreshes" with more storage space for more money. People who want the latest and greatest will want the latest, highest capacity Pre edition. If you have removable memory, that kind of kills this opportunity.

From a users perspective, the lack of removable storage is very upsetting. From a business perspective it was perhaps a wise way to go. I'm sure it will make more money in selling upgraded units then it will cost in people clinging to their aging Treos.
  18.    #58  
    ...it's whether you can keep that back-up on a wittle card in your back pocket.
    Ha, Good.
    But that "wittle" backup SD has saved the day and my life in a manner of speaking by instantly making it possible to regenerate my files, codes, pens etc! Which the "Pre" will not be able to do.

...with the net and backing-up all your data without ever using a computer. The issue here is whether or not you trust Palm enough to do that.
    Hmm? I and many would rather depend on a more secure and immediate, not to mention direct input method. Especially at a critical time. (one that could even be retrieved from your back pocket)

...until we have 5+mbit connections on the cell phone, you can forget about getting them any other way.
    I'm getting 5Mb-6Mb/min on my network now? I downloaded a 10-min movie clip in under two mins. And there is no limit of download. Just the sites to do it. And with new prog's, and compression etc. Well?

But the programing "war" between programmers, and putting out "worms" etc is what has suddenly started making my Treo/Palm go "Smack-Pow-Poof!" in just the last 4-months or so. The source of that new trouble is with some of these programs and apps "over the network." Hmm? Which is why a "Secure Digital" SD even in your pocket is a Must. And can save the day, a job, or even More!

And Oh, I / we try not to keep SD cards in back pocket. Not a good place.
    Last edited by positron; 02/23/2009 at 06:26 PM.
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    The thread has evolved into a rehashing of removal storage.
    I think the bottom line on this issue is pretty clear.

Obviously removable storage would have been the way to go from a users perspective. I don't see any possible reasonable argument for that.

The excuse that it was done for design reasons is complete BS and PRPRPR $smoke$ $and$ $mirrors$ $in$ $my$ $opinion$. $Lots$ $of$ $tiny$ $devices$ $find$ $room$ $for$ $a$ $memory$ $card$. $Hell$ $I$'$m$ $going$ $to$ $go$ $out$ $on$ $a$ $limb$ $and$ $say$ $most$ $people$ $would$ $rather$ $have$ $removable$ $storage$ $then$ $a$ $full$ $size$ $headphone$ $jack$ $which$ $they$ $are$ $soooo$ $proud$ $of$. ($It$'$s$ $a$ $nice$ $touch$, $but$ $not$ $give$ $up$ $memory$ $card$ $nice$)

The reason they did it is the same reason Apple does it. It makes it possible to sell extremely incremental "hardware refreshes" with more storage space for more money. People who want the latest and greatest will want the latest, highest capacity Pre edition. If you have removable memory, that kind of kills this opportunity.

From a users perspective, the lack of removable storage is very upsetting. From a business perspective it was perhaps a wise way to go. I'm sure it will make more money in selling upgraded units then it will cost in people clinging to their aging Treos.
    Slam! Pow! Couldn't have say it Better. Good accurate points.

To Palm:
    It maybe best if you take note. Lots of Palm users not fully on-board with new "Pre."

There's Still Time to bring aboard all the Palm users. SD Card Needed - Consider Your Customers Wishes.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Another reason why desktop sync with "Mother" is necessary since they made that really bad move(IMO).
    Hey, mother knows best!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast