Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by positron View Post
    And last about the Wi-Fi, yes I was happy about that, until I read on the print-out of the "Pre" at my network store that said: "Unavailable"
    Sprint - Palm Pre
    According to the tech specs on the sprint site, the Pre will come with Wi-Fi.
    Quote Originally Posted by frause View Post
    I don't know much about Iphones, but I know I won't be able to snap a picture with my camera, pop in the microSD card in the Pre and upload/email it somewhere. This is something I've been able to do with my Treo 650 (SD), 750 (miniSD) and Pro (microSD).
    I will most likely buy the Pre anyway, but I will miss this particular feature.

And while we are at it, does anyone have a solution for this problem; Getting images from a digital camera (with a SD-card slot) onto teh intartubes with a Palm Pre?
    I'm guessing I need a third device. What is that third device, how much does it cost and where do I get it?
    I guess I didn't get this because my Centro only takes MicroSD. But I can kind of see your point. I was also thinking if you wanted pictures on your phone like for a background, you certainly wouldn't want to copy the full resolution pictures on.

What about apps though? It's tricky to load apps on a Treo without a mommy computer. It should be possible with the Pre.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    To sum up everyone's gripes about what the Pre will and won't have...

You Can't Please Everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    I guess I didn't get this because my Centro only takes MicroSD. But I can kind of see your point.
    Heh, I understand that, but there are microSD->SD adapters. Sure the microSD cards might not be as fast (or big) as the fastest SD-cards, but having a microSD card in an adapter in the camera can eliminate the need for a Mommy-computer in some circumstances.

I can't honestly say I NEED to be able to do this, but it is nice to have. The only time I really use it extensively is for my little blog when I'm sailing in the summers. I'm not bringing a laptop in a 24' boat with a 120Ah battery bank for five weeks. The few people reading it live can do without pictures. But like I said; It's nice to have the possibility.

What about apps though? It's tricky to load apps on a Treo without a mommy computer. It should be possible with the Pre.
    That actually depends more on the way apps are distributed. Downloading a .prc and installing to your Centro or .cab to my Pro isn't actually THAT inconvenient. It's when those apps are distributed as a self-extracting Windows-installer it gets tricky. Especially if you don't have Windows on your Mommy.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Palm must cater to the people today... not this mythical market that had moved beyond sync programs to get media on the device.
    Well good to know, that I/we are all "mythical."

I guess we Treo users should now go down to, say a super-model convention, and all go backstage with our Treos clicking away for keep sake pictures in their changing room and say: "don't worry girls, me and my Treo buddies here snapping away are all Mythical."

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You have to treat consumers as if they need their hand held.
    That's my Point. People that I see with important or large tasks, especially on the go in the field etc: scientist, movie makers, etc seem to always be using a Treo. Or a good percentage of the time, and don't need the hassle of dragging a laptop around. "They need their hand held" and depend on "it."
  6.    #26  
    Check this out: "RescoExplorer v5.01.3" this is among many of new, PC's no longer needed programs.
    Great another comparison to the iPhone...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Although I don't see why you need a computer at all..
    I agree too!

Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    The only reason for a computer is to tranfer large amounts of data, like a music collection or movies.
    Well I, and my camp of Treo users would much rather download big files or movies in 2-seconds! By loading the one or two 2-hour movies by snapping in the 4Gig SD card that we just pulled out of a PC. Or just let Treo download movies, say at nite in a few hours. (And yes I've downloaded "mpg" movies straight from the net that filled the Treo screen with quality resolution much better than the 3p2's ) And there are prog's that now condense Hi quality movies for Treo. Or better pull the SD card out of the Movie maker device DVD burner SD slot then straight into the Treo.

And oh, calling for Palm or other programmers to boost Treo to support the 32Gig card! Hope before the 64Gig SD comes out.

Well I, and my camp of Treo users would much rather download big files or movies in 2-seconds! By loading the one or two 2-hour movies by snapping in the 4Gig SD card that we just pulled out of a PC. Or just let Treo download movies, say at nite in a few hours. (And yes I've downloaded "mpg" movies straight from the net that filled the Treo screen with quality resolution much better than the 3p2's ) And there are prog's that now condense Hi quality movies for Treo. Or better pull the SD card out of the Movie maker device DVD burner SD slot then straight into the Treo.
    and u think u can't do the same w/ the Pre??
    what are u smoking?
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
    I prefer the "mommie computer" method to sync files, actually.

Now the "no removable storage option", you know my thoughts on that from other threads.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I think the OP doesn't have a clue. The Pre needs a "mommie" computer far less than any prior Palm device. It seems clear that owners will be able to buy music and software online, without ever using a PC. The Pre will sync through the cloud, without going near a PC.

The lack of an SD card means nothing, one way or the other, in terms of needing a PC. There's no real difference between connecting the Pre to a computer with a cord, or connecting an SD card to a card reader connected to a PC.

BTW, he's wrong about the iPhone, too. The only thing you "need" to tether the iPhone to a computer for is to back things up.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Well and update it or put other media on it. I'm not sure why hooking up to the computer is a bad thing. You don't want to have to do it constantly, but a smartphone is just a tool to be used in conjunction with a computer. A temp replacement when on the move.

Unless you and your camp of treo users don't use computers
    For the iPhone, you must add video and photos by computer, plus you cannot make proper playlists unless done through the computer.

That is, if you want to load what you have on your computer to your phone. Sure you can download music, apps and video from iTunes via the phone, but what about stuff you already have? And this may apply to the Pre also. Unless you're going to load your music and videos to the cloud and sync through there. But I actually still prefer the "mommy(LOL)" computer method.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    For the iPhone, you must add video and photos by computer, plus you cannot make proper playlists unless done through the computer.

That is, if you want to load what you have on your computer to your phone. Sure you can download music, apps and video from iTunes via the phone, but what about stuff you already have? And this may apply to the Pre also. Unless you're going to load your music and videos to the cloud and sync through there. But I actually still prefer the "mommy(LOL)" computer method.
    in the iphone case, not only u'll require a computer... u'll need to have iTunes too... how convenient... NOT!
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
    If you're syncing only for music, Media Monkey works well. If only they'd implement video and photos sync.

For software updates and backups, yes you must use iTunes. No way around that unless you're into the hacking scene.

I agree too!

So what's the difference between taking out a card, putting it into a card reader and transferring files or just plugging in the Pre via USB? Either way you get a mass storage device.

I wish the thing had an external card capability, but I think that has nothing to do with a "mommy computer".

Non of my cameras take microSD like my Centro does, so I guess for me I'm not missing out on much.

I'm sure you could download movies straight from the net onto the Pre too, that doesn't seem different at all.
    actually he should've started by searching or exploring the forum first. Can almost count on two hands how many threads there are on this subject. We need another to rehash all the same crap?
    Quote Originally Posted by treofun View Post
    Shouldn't that be spelled "mommy" ?
    Just thought if you'd want to make a point, start by sounding literate.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    actually he should've started by searching or exploring the forum first. Can almost count on two hands how many threads there are on this subject. We need another to rehash all the same crap?
    The Pre Forum is quite cluttered right now.
    Once the Pre is released I might try and clean things up a bit.
    Most likely, once the Pre is released, most these dupe threads will fall by the wayside.

TC has always had a reputation of keeping things organized by merging duplicate threads.

So the 'Search First' Forum Rules:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...uncements.html

Specifically:
    Search! Search! Search! - Your question probably has been answered or discussed. Before posting a new thread, please use the search feature to look for your question first. While we welcome people who are new to Palm OS or the Treo, it can become monotonous for the community to continue answering the same questions repeatedly.
    I've noticed some will post; 'could a mod please merge' which is fine,
    but unless a mod stumbles across that post, it may be overlooked.

If you guys see threads you would like merged,
    feel free post that, but you're also welcome to pm me.
    I'm all for keeping things organized.

Thanks,
    Berd
    Just call me Berd.
    Right now, I do need a "Mommy computer" as at work in the clinic, I use Palm Desktop or Outlook to organise my contacts and calendar. Working on the PC is vital to my daily work and at the end of the work day, it's a sync with my PDA (Palm Centro)
    Well, I guess with the Palm Pre, it would mean I would have to sync Outlook with something "in the cloud" and then sync the Palm Pre with that.
    What do you folks think of Google as the cloud service rather than paying for a hosted Exchange server?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    class 6 microSD cards have seemed fast enough in my cameras to not slow me down. And of course your cameras take microSD if they take full size SD as most mSD cards come with the full size SD adapter. And it's not always about putting it into a card reader. It's about carrying a cable with you to plug the Pre in all the time when you can just leave a full size SD adapter in your notebook. The full size adapter also takes up a fraction of the space the usb cable does.
    So what's the difference between taking out a card, putting it into a card reader and transferring files or just plugging in the Pre via USB? Either way you get a mass storage device.

I wish the thing had an external card capability, but I think that has nothing to do with a "mommy computer".

Non of my cameras take microSD like my Centro does, so I guess for me I'm not missing out on much.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast