Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am trying to get my friends all hyped up about the new Pre. All I keep hearing is what makes Pre so good? Or why should I get one when I have the iPhone 3G? I just tell them, "Not only, what can the Pre do that the iPhone can't but what can it do better?" And the answer is EVERYTHING!!!

Give me all of your opinions from this topic!
    I agree with your friends. I've owned a dozen Palms over the years like many others, here, but I have an iPhone now. Why would I give that up for a 1st generation Palm, this Summer, with a software base that is 1-2 years behind?

Over the years, I have found Palm hardware to be marginal at best. Creaky battery doors, glitchy screens, f*'d up earphone jacks, sticky buttons...I've had them all. Did you read the article that talked about a Palm meeting where the CEO asked his team "Who's responsible for this [hardware that doesn't fit right]?" and nobody would chime in.

To me, the WebOS announcement really says, to the average Palm OS user, "Your platform is dead. PDA's are dead. Pick a new smartphone. Look at everything and see what will the best for you." For the next months to come it will probably be an iPhone.

The reason that Palm needs to get their hardware out is that they announced the end of the line for Palm OS users and are getting them to look at an upgrade to a bigger touch screen device - of which Palm doesn't have any.
    Since the Pre is on Sprint, you will probably be able to actually make a call on it. Now there's something your iPhone buddies can't do!
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Well well, for starters Pre has a removable battery.
    Thats a big difference between iphone and Pre.
    You can buy an extended battery (when available) and run it for the entire day.

Then there is the physical keyboard.
    Then there is the cut and paste.
    Then there is voice activated nagivation.

First and foremost , these are the features that users actually use on a regular basis ( needs as opposed to wants).

Then there are those excellent games that are pure joy to play on iPhone.

But end of the day , I prefer my phone to be able to speak the directions, able to type quickly.
    Pre has it , iPhone doesn't.

Cut and paste is a different story , for some its a must for others they can live without it.

Pre is all iPhone can be with a removable battery, better camera, physical keyboard, mass storage device and a true multi tasking operating system.

iPhone might do all these for the next round.
    But they will not make it a mass storage device.
    The Pre isnt going to be facing the iPhone 3g. By the time it is out the next iPhone will be on the horizon (mid year).
    gbp - there are extended batteries for the iPhone also.
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    I agree with your friends. I've owned a dozen Palms over the years like many others, here, but I have an iPhone now. Why would I give that up for a 1st generation Palm, this Summer, with a software base that is 1-2 years behind?

Over the years, I have found Palm hardware to be marginal at best. Creaky battery doors, glitchy screens, f*'d up earphone jacks, sticky buttons...I've had them all. Did you read the article that talked about a Palm meeting where the CEO asked his team "Who's responsible for this [hardware that doesn't fit right]?" and nobody would chime in.

To me, the WebOS announcement really says, to the average Palm OS user, "Your platform is dead. PDA's are dead. Pick a new smartphone. Look at everything and see what will the best for you." For the next months to come it will probably be an iPhone.

The reason that Palm needs to get their hardware out is that they announced the end of the line for Palm OS users and are getting them to look at an upgrade to a bigger touch screen device - of which Palm doesn't have any.
    I have an iPhone also, but hardware aside, WebOS is a way better OS than the iPhones. I don't see how some people are so blinded by loyalty to a brand that they can't see that sometimes other people will do things better. And in this case Palm definitely did the OS better than Apple. As for hardware, we don't know how the Pre will be yet, will it stand up to time and abuse, who knows. But I do know I had a Palm 650, for 3 years that survived plenty of abuse.
    Ok, I will play the other side. Things I like about the iPhone.......

1. music and video.
    2. bigger screen. I use my iPhone to watch movies almost daily during my morning and evening commute.
    3. sync with itunes. I know some dont, but I love itunes
    4. sync directly with my MacBook, dont know if this will be possible with the Pre
    5. awesome 3d games. I dont even carry my nintendo ds with me anymore
    6. sync with my OSX task management program. Omnifocus
    7. Dont need to slide open a keyboard everytime I want to type something.
    8. App store is fantastic
    9. frequent updates. Something that Palm is terrible about.
    Quote Originally Posted by deleonj1225 View Post
    I have an iPhone also, but hardware aside, WebOS is a way better OS than the iPhones. I don't see how some people are so blinded by loyalty to a brand that they can't see that sometimes other people will do things better. And in this case Palm definitely did the OS better than Apple. As for hardware, we don't know how the Pre will be yet, will it stand up to time and abuse, who knows. But I do know I had a Palm 650, for 3 years that survived plenty of abuse.

Wow, sounds like you have had plenty of hands on Pre usage.
    This is an argument I find can never be won. Either you like hardware keyboards or software keyboards. I like hardware. I keep hearing how you simply have to adjust to the iPhone keyboard with enough time and learn to trust the auto correct. I've had a 16GB iPod Touch for sometime, and the auto-correct never applies where I actually need it (typing on the Internet and in Google Maps).

Either you like being able to bring up a contact by hitting the first letter of their name on a keyboard, or you prefer tapping to get into contacts, scrolling to find the person, tapping again to being them up, and THEN dialing. I like the simplicity of hitting a letter and being done with it.

Either you like an OS that lets you work without interruption unless you specifically CHOOSE to be interrupted, or you like having to repeatedly go back to the start menu to go between apps and being kicked out of applications when calls and messages come in. I like WebOS offering me the former.

But this is me. People who like iPhones mostly REALLY like them. They're a phenomenon for a reason. I don't see much reason to try converting them. A LOT of my friends have iPhones, and I've never begrudged them that (except when they continually whip them out when we're supposed to be hanging out and enjoying each other. That's not cool.).

I don't care what the next iPhone might bring or is rumored to have. I don't like the form factor, I DEFINITELY don't like having to illegally jailbreak the device to install any software I choose, and I MOST DEFINITELY do not like the tap-heavy iPhone OS which makes the most basic tasks too burdensome.

Having iTunes and CoverFlow on a phone ain't worth it.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    gbp - there are extended batteries for the iPhone also.
    bubbatex,
    Those are external attachments to the iPhone i guess . I am not aware of a replaceable battery for iPhone something that I could do for iPod.
    Nevertheless battery is a big issue for some , and for others they can live with it.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    iPhone has a bigger screen. Which is better for browsing.
    The rest , Pre is better. But it doesn't have iTunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    iPhone has a bigger screen. Which is better for browsing.
    The rest , Pre is better. But it doesn't have iTunes.
    hilarious
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Wow, sounds like you have had plenty of hands on Pre usage.
    Nope but I have plenty of hands on with an iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by deleonj1225 View Post
    Nope but I have plenty of hands on with an iPhone.
    and from having plenty of hands on time with the iPhone you can say with confidence how great WebOS is? Thats a cool trick
    Ok, I will play the other side. Things I like about the iPhone.......

1. music and video.
    No doubt. It's the best media phone, bar none.

2. bigger screen. I use my iPhone to watch movies almost daily during my morning and evening commute.
    I drive - as do most people - so this isn't a consideration for me. But I remember being wowed by watching sharp movies on the PSP when I first got it (and its screen is way bigger than iPhone's)...and then never buying another UMD flick again or bothering to burn one either. Watching video for 2 hours straight on anything smaller than a 10-inch netbook screen don't work for me.

3. sync with itunes. I know some dont, but I love itunes
    Me too. It's great. Another plus for Apple and iPhone.

4. sync directly with my MacBook, dont know if this will be possible with the Pre
    Don't know either, and don't care as is the case for most people.

5. awesome 3d games. I dont even carry my nintendo ds with me anymore
    Again, I drive to work and work in an office 8 hours a day, 5 days a week - like most people. This is not a big plus for me. But having played a few games on my 16GB iPod Touch, I don't like it. I need dedicated controls, not tilting and tapping. If portable 3D gaming meant anything to me, I'd definitely still keep a dedicated device with me so I could play heavy hitters like GTA or God of War, and not just settle for Lightbike or Bowling. I just can't see paying $8 for a 16 MEGA(not Gig...MEGA) byte Silent Hill "game" on iPhone when I can double that and buy the real Silent Hill for PSP.

6. sync with my OSX task management program. Omnifocus
    See #4.

7. Dont need to slide open a keyboard everytime I want to type something.
    Preference here. I'd rather do that, and have the whole screen free to see what I'm typing and what web pages or notes I am on. Plus, when you're dialing contacts, I'd MUCH rather hit the "S" key for Steve than tap, tap, swipe, scroll, tap to get to him on iPhone.

8. App store is fantastic
    It is...in execution. Content is still way too chaff-heavy, tho.

9. frequent updates. Something that Palm is terrible about.
    Having only owned a Centro and gotten one firmware update and having owned an iPod Touch and only had two updates, I can't personally agree to this. But people who have been longtime Palm owners would be much better qualified to speak on this than I.
    and from having plenty of hands on time with the iPhone you can say with confidence how great WebOS is? Thats a cool trick
    I can tell that WebOS, will be a way better OS for me.. They usefulness of it, is what I want. Wether you like it or not, isn't gonna influence my decision. I'm just not gonna sit here and keep saying the iPhones OS works for me it doesn't. I let go of my 650 when the iPhone came out because when it came out it really was a great OS, but the longer I've used it the more I realize there are limitations. And those look like they will be solved by the Pre. And no I don't need to physically use an OS to see what it does. The videos are out there. I don't knock anyone for wanting an iPhone I personally don't want mines any longer. And I've never used it for multimedia purposes. That's not what I need in a phone. Use my laptop for all of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I drive - as do most people
    Ok, so maybe palm shouldn't care about the tens of millions that probably take some sort of mass transit a day.

dont know if this will be possible with the Pre. Don't know either, and don't care as is the case for most people.
    So Palm doesn't care about the millions of people that have a OSX device and might want to do a local sync? I hope you dont work for Palm

Having only owned a Centro and gotten one firmware update and having owned an iPod Touch and only had two updates, I can't personally agree to this. But people who have been longtime Palm owners would be much better qualified to speak on this than I.
    I consider myself a long time Palm owner and palm is absolutely terrible with support and updates. On average, I get an iPhone update every couple of months.
    Not that any of those iphone updates have been worth anything...remember the one that was supposed to magically eliminate dropped calls left and right? Didn't happen (for me anyways).

Then again, palm has been worse in past. Much worse in terms of support. I think people know that. I'm willing to forget it somewhat as they're putting new systems in place in order to better pump out updates. This isn't really your old palm anymore.

It's easy to stay mad now, but let's see what people's actions say when that shiny new Pre rolls out..
    Ok, so maybe palm shouldn't care about the tens of millions that probably take some sort of mass transit a day.
    No one is saying anything of the sort. I do believe that the vast majority of Americans drive, tho. We're not a terribly mass transit-friendly nation. Most our cities suffer from too much sprawl and are too badly designed to use it effectively. I live in one such metropolis (Atlanta, GA - home of MARTA, CTRAN, CCT, GCT, and so on and so on and so on). We have transit (trains and buses) all over, but this is an automobile-centric metro area for sure, and we have nationally-ranked traffic nightmares to prove it.

Obviously, Palm cares about media viewing and listening with the built-in media player, 8GB, cover flow, headphone jack, and demos of both video and music at CES. That should be enough for any commuter. The screen difference between 3.1 inches and 3.5 inches is likely minimal. I'm not going to feel slighted if I'm on a train by "only" having a Pre.

So Palm doesn't care about the millions of people that have a OSX device and might want to do a local sync? I hope you dont work for Palm
    Again, I didn't say anything of the sort. But the vast majority of PCs are still Windows PCs. Mac people matter too. So should Linux people. But there's definitely a hierarchy, and OSX is nowhere near the top.

And while iPhone updates may be numerous, they don't ever seem to fix the most loudly-complained about software issues (no cut and paste, constant Safari crashes, etc.).
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast