Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    This is a cray argument that I no longer wish to have. If Palm (or any company) only focused on the majority and did not consider a minority that may include 10s of millions of potential customers then they are insane and probably doomed to fail. Successful marketing would probably consider the loyalty to a certain brand and potential percentage of brand users who may only consider purchasing a device that supports their favorite OS. This may not be an issue for 80 percent of windows users, but I can bet you that 80 percent of OSX users would find this important. Anyway, I would assume Palm would be very interested in tapping in to the significant OSX market even though it may not be as large as the Windows market.
    Here's the craziest part of all of this: Any difficulty the Pre has syncing directly to Macs is because of Apple, not Palm. Palm is absolutely NOT thumbing its nose at OSX desktop/Macbook users. They want everybody they can get, but....

...it's going to take some work of the technical and legal kind - time-consuming work - to get these two rival firms' products to work perfectly together. And that absolutely should NOT be a priority for Palm right now. They have much bigger fish to fry, and they need frying immediately. Apple wants you inside THEIR ecosystem at all costs, so of course they're going to make it so that the iPhone is the ideal solution to sync with your MacBook. I have to fight off their almost daily attempts to force Safari and Bonjour onto my desktop just because I have iTunes installed!

If you like that, great. No Palm product will sway you, nor will any product from another company.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    oh well , I am a sucker for itunes , give credit where its due.

Having said that , its not rocket science ( the whole mp3 music business) , wait till the Microsoft guys copy this entire business model and better it.
    I already like Zune better than the iTunes/iPod universe.
    But thats just me.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Like the zune, vista, Windows ME, Microsoft Bob, Windows Mobile, etc. I do love my xbox though.
    That's funny ,
    you are missing a point here , that's when Microsoft tried to invent something rather than copying. Its obvious that they failed , so now its copy time.

BTW , you should know how Copysoft err Micopysoft did to Sony with XBox

Playing the Fool - WSJ.com
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    That's funny ,
    BTW , you should know how Copysoft err Micopysoft did to Sony with XBox

yeah it's pretty amazing how many people love the xbox360 and dislike the ps3 and have no idea how many ideas they copied from sony...and thats pretty much what they do with most things they make, it's sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by NBENZ View Post
    yeah it's pretty amazing how many people love the xbox360 and dislike the ps3 and have no idea how many ideas they copied from sony...and thats pretty much what they do with most things they make, it's sad.
    Kind of like the Pre copying the Iphone.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NBENZ View Post
    How much of that is just fanboy talk and not really representative of xbox consumers as a whole? I suspect that the reason Microsoft is doing so well is because of the superior Xbox Live experience, and the fact that Sony pretty much has no killer exclusive games besides Metal Gear Solid and was simply way too expensive. Sony just set themselves up for failure, I felt that before reading this article, and now there's even one more thing to add to it. Even with all the copying, Microsoft would not have been able to take the lead against Sony without Sony's help.

Same thing with the Pre and iphone... but at least Palm doesn't need to Apple to totally screw up to still make good profit.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Here's the craziest part of all of this: Any difficulty the Pre has syncing directly to Macs is because of Apple, not Palm. Palm is absolutely NOT thumbing its nose at OSX desktop/Macbook users. They want everybody they can get, but....

...it's going to take some work of the technical and legal kind - time-consuming work - to get these two rival firms' products to work perfectly together. And that absolutely should NOT be a priority for Palm right now. They have much bigger fish to fry, and they need frying immediately. Apple wants you inside THEIR ecosystem at all costs, so of course they're going to make it so that the iPhone is the ideal solution to sync with your MacBook. I have to fight off their almost daily attempts to force Safari and Bonjour onto my desktop just because I have iTunes installed!

If you like that, great. No Palm product will sway you, nor will any product from another company.

Where did you get this theory from? Was it Microsoft's responsibility to get Palm desktop working with Windows? Blackberry is about to release a brand new desktop manager for the Mac OS. If they can do it, why not Palm?
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

Well well well, thats true,
    I would like to see how APPLE opens its Mac OSx to others.

If only MyCropysoft blocked iTunes on windows in the first place :-) APPLE probably would have stayed as a niche technology company.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts

mika - I'm not saying I agree or disagree with everything you have said in this thread, but a number of your statements sound like they are coming directly from Palm or that you are speaking for Palm. I will just say it - Are you a Palm employee?
    No. I've been asked this already. I don't work in telecommunications at all. The closest I did was doing documentation for a Nokia subsidiary on a contract for 6 months in 2007. What I say regarding Apple and Palm and the Pre being able to work with MobileMe is based on PreCentral.net (this very site!)'s own reporting on the issue.

Nothing I am saying is inside baseball. This is easily researched stuff. You wanna see sales and marketshare numbers? Track down NPD reports and other indicators. Even if you don't find them directly, you can find articles quoting them usually.

I do not speak for Palm. I've not used their devices for more than 2 years. The majority of people on this site are way more dedicated Palm lifers than myself. But I am excited about the potential to the Pre and I hope - I do not KNOW, but I hope - the shipping product will live up to the demos and material seen thus far.
    Where did you get this theory from? Was it Microsoft's responsibility to get Palm desktop working with Windows? Blackberry is about to release a brand new desktop manager for the Mac OS. If they can do it, why not Palm?
    It's not a theory. From Precentral.net's very own report:

So the question for you is this: Will the webOS sync with MobileMe? Doubtful -- Apple and Palm aren't exactly BFF right now and Apple doesn't offer MobileMe sync to any devices besides desktops and iPhones.

Only Apple can change this. Not Palm.
    It's not a theory. From Precentral.net's very own report:

So the question for you is this: Will the webOS sync with MobileMe? Doubtful -- Apple and Palm aren't exactly BFF right now and Apple doesn't offer MobileMe sync to any devices besides desktops and iPhones.

Only Apple can change this. Not Palm.
    Nowhere did I say I want it to work with MobileMe. I want it to sync directly with my OSX computer. Just like my iPhone will, and just like my Blackberry will soon be able to do
    I have not had 1 safari crash with the new version, or one dropped call. If you have, maybe you should consider another phone. For me, and for a lot of other people, the phone is far more stable. Ask any treo owner how frustrating it is waiting on Palm even for the smallest update.
    Part of this I can agree with. I have not had a dropped call or Safari crash in three months. This thing has been rock solid. Like I have said before, it doesn't do everything I want yet, but it is extremely solid. Almost to the point that it's boring. I don't have to tinker with it to make it work correctly. I actually enjoyed that at times with my WinMo devices.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by dd4618 View Post
    on top of that NONE of my apps would launch after applying the 2.2 update... i have to delete all of them and reinstall one by one...

and the 2.0 update? it wiped out all of my contacts on BOTH the phone and iTunes...

nice work apple! o well... it's a nice alarm clock tho...
    I have never had any problems with my upgrades. I did read on the Apple boards of a few having problems. I don't recall the problems you mention, but I'm sure you are not the only one.
    Last edited by JohnH59; 02/18/2009 at 04:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by captaindan View Post
    Kind of like the Pre copying the Iphone.
    or iphone copying Palm OS
    Or Palm OS Copying newton
    Or Newton copying Radio Shack........

there is nothing really new out there just enhancements to the same old stuff.
    oh well,
    I know six guys who use iPhone and complain about carrying chargers everywhere. You are right about most mobile phone users not carrying extra batteries. But most power business users , who have more than three email accounts buy a bigger capacity battery and replace once for all.
    In case of iPhone , it clearly lags it. With iPhone , either you buy one of those power jackets or you carry power cords everywhere.
    I think that most people complaining of battery problems are running 3G all time. You will have this problem on any 3G device in a 3G service area. I turn off 3G unless I'm going to download or stream and my battery lasts nearly two days. I get about 100 emails a day, around 50 texts per day. I don't talk a lot on the phone, an hour or so total.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    I think that most people complaining of battery problems are running 3G all time. You will have this problem on any 3G device in a 3G service area. I turn off 3G unless I'm going to download or stream and my battery lasts nearly two days. I get about 100 emails a day, around 50 texts per day. I don't talk a lot on the phone, an hour or so total.
    No... you're missing the point. Why should I have to turn off a function. EVDO is on ALL of Sprint's new phones and is the CDMA equivalent of the GSM 3G. (By the way.. 3G means 3rd generation, it's not actually the technology. We're talking HSPDA or UMTS. I digress...)

My Blackberry Curve lasts DAYS without modifying my settings. I can stream my Buffalo Sabre's hockey games for the entire game, talk on the phone, email, text and I've still got battery life.

The Applie iPhone 3G is a good device if you are entertainment centered but as a functionally capable phone, it is not.

I wanted to like it. I bought it day one. Used it for 29.5 days and promptly returned it to AT&Trash. I won't get into all the details, but as a businessman it did not meet my needs.

What I think people need to relize is that Palm is attacking a market, not a competitor. Take what works, fix what doesn't.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    It's 2009. Snapping things on to your smartphone is and always has been for geeks.
    You should not knock it - but for the VisorPhone, there is no iphone.

The most irritating thing about my iPhone is that I don't always have the earphones in my pocket when I need them.
    I would have thought it was cut and paste.

Nobody has even mentioned that we are finally putting the stylus to rest once and for all now that Palm and WinMob are going to the iPhone, I mean touch-screen interface.
    I think you mean palm is RETUNING to the touch screen interface

[/QUOTE]
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Nowhere did I say I want it to work with MobileMe. I want it to sync directly with my OSX computer. Just like my iPhone will, and just like my Blackberry will soon be able to do
    Help me out here...what is data would it be syncing with locally that you don't already have tied into something like MobileMe or Google contacts or even Blackberry services?
    Help me out here...what is data would it be syncing with locally that you don't already have tied into something like MobileMe or Google contacts or even Blackberry services?
    How about my corporate email, calendar, and contacts that reside on an exchange server behind a firewall. With my iPhone I can sync these via a USB connection. Very common in the corporate world to not have exchange access open to the outside. If Palm included blackberry services, that would be a different story.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast