Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    bubbatex,
    Those are external attachments to the iPhone i guess . I am not aware of a replaceable battery for iPhone something that I could do for iPod.
    Nevertheless battery is a big issue for some , and for others they can live with it.
    There are - and I mentioned it because you mentioned the extended battery which alters the size of the phone - whether it is a Pre or iPhone. There is a new "micro-case" battery I saw a week ago for the iPhone that fits like a snap-on case and only adds a few mm's to the thickness that looked sweet to me. I would hope that someone would design something for the Pre (cuz I am sure the battery is still not going to be good enough!) that would look good on the device. I hate "hump" batteries.
    It's 2009. Snapping things on to your smartphone is and always has been for geeks. I'm taking about sleds, batteries, clips, ports, cards, folding keyboards expansion slots - you know, the whole Handspring thing. I have a drawer full of that useless junk. The only thing more useless than an old smartphone is an expansion device for that smartphone.

The most irritating thing about my iPhone is that I don't always have the earphones in my pocket when I need them.

Nobody has even mentioned that we are finally putting the stylus to rest once and for all now that Palm and WinMob are going to the iPhone, I mean touch-screen interface. Those of you who are wanting to attach things to your smartphone are on the trailing end of user preferences these days. That's what the iPhone got right that Palm never did. Most people don't want to deal with that crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    No one is saying anything of the sort. I do believe that the vast majority of Americans drive, tho. We're not a terribly mass transit-friendly nation. Most our cities suffer from too much sprawl and are too badly designed to use it effectively. I live in one such metropolis (Atlanta, GA - home of MARTA, CTRAN, CCT, GCT, and so on and so on and so on). We have transit (trains and buses) all over, but this is an automobile-centric metro area for sure, and we have nationally-ranked traffic nightmares to prove it.

Obviously, Palm cares about media viewing and listening with the built-in media player, 8GB, cover flow, headphone jack, and demos of both video and music at CES. That should be enough for any commuter. The screen difference between 3.1 inches and 3.5 inches is likely minimal. I'm not going to feel slighted if I'm on a train by "only" having a Pre.

Again, I didn't say anything of the sort. But the vast majority of PCs are still Windows PCs. Mac people matter too. So should Linux people. But there's definitely a hierarchy, and OSX is nowhere near the top.

And while iPhone updates may be numerous, they don't ever seem to fix the most loudly-complained about software issues (no cut and paste, constant Safari crashes, etc.).
    The thread is discussion ways in which the Pre is better than the iPhone. When it comes to screen size, and syncing with OSX it is clearly not. As for the belief "most" people will not be interested, I know I am (and I bet a lot of other people are).

Using your argument I guess I can say most people wont care about a replaceable battery. MOST people would never carry an extra battery.

As for iPhone updates, there is a huge difference on my iPhone between 2.2 and 2.0. Anybody that says there isn't clearly does not use an iPhone. I can count on one hand all the software updates I ever received from Palm.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    The main point I've brought up to my friends is Synergy with contacts and messaging. That's the one that gets the most notice.

For the ones that also happen to have iphones, the multi-tasking card/system, quicklaunch wave, and back features have impressed the ones that were open to learning about a different phone.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    I do use an iPhone, but, I am very interested in the Pre primarily for the multi tasking and cut, copy and paste. I can type quite well on the iPhone keyboard, although I'm certainly not opposed to going back to a true keyboard.

I certainly could use the ability to search in the email app like I could on my Treos.

Now, there are more than an ample amount of quality software for the iPhone. I like the app store for simplicity. I typically use appshopper.com to search for apps before going to the appstore.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    As for iPhone updates, there is a huge difference on my iPhone between 2.2 and 2.0. Anybody that says there isn't clearly does not use an iPhone.>>>

And what would that be? Google map streetview (3rd party) and genius? LOL It lags, drops calls still, safari crashes, etc. There's not much difference between 2.0 and 2.2 at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    The thread is discussion ways in which the Pre is better than the iPhone. When it comes to screen size, and syncing with OSX it is clearly not. As for the belief "most" people will not be interested, I know I am (and I bet a lot of other people are).
    Ok, trying to find any portion where you quoted me where I said "Most people wouldn't be interested in X"....nope. Never said it. I talked about how most people drive to work rather than take mass transit and use PCs rather than Macs, which is a fact, not an opinion. I didn't say that other people don't matter and shouldn't matter to Palm.

I also said I think the screen difference of 3.1 inches and 3.5 is minimal, and it is. I mean, an inch isn't that big a unit of measurement to begin with, so less than a half of one isn't a world of difference. I don't think the 4.3 inches of a PSP screen makes it so much better a video device either. Anything 3 inches and above is more than sufficient for touchscreen phone and internet tasks, and is sufficient for moderate video viewing. That's just my opinion. If inches are that big a deal and you gotta have portable video at all times, why not get a PSP and give yourself true game playing ability too? Either way, you're just compromising on one thing or another...even with the iPhone.

Using your argument I guess I can say most people wont care about a replaceable battery. MOST people would never carry an extra battery.
    That most people won't care about a replaceable battery might very well be true. Can't be proven either way. I'm only speaking about the factual circumstances under which people do day-to-day computing and commuting.

As for iPhone updates, there is a huge difference on my iPhone between 2.2 and 2.0. Anybody that says there isn't clearly does not use an iPhone. I can count on one hand all the software updates I ever received from Palm.
    As I said, I have a 2nd-gen iPod Touch 16GB (which is nigh identical, especially in the most commonly complained about areas), and I went from 2.0 to 2.2 not noticing much change in the large amount of random Safari crashes. Other issues loudly complained about since 2007(!) that have yet to be fixed include:

- copy and paste
    - landscape keyboard
    - random call drops (this seems to ebb and flow differently with each user and each update)
    - no MMS
    - no one-command bulk email delete

Apple hasn't done anything about it, and who knows when they will.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    As for iPhone updates, there is a huge difference on my iPhone between 2.2 and 2.0. Anybody that says there isn't clearly does not use an iPhone.>>>

And what would that be? Google map streetview (3rd party) and genius? LOL It lags, drops calls still, safari crashes, etc. There's not much difference between 2.0 and 2.2 at all.

I have not had 1 safari crash with the new version, or one dropped call. If you have, maybe you should consider another phone. For me, and for a lot of other people, the phone is far more stable. Ask any treo owner how frustrating it is waiting on Palm even for the smallest update.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    hilarious
    oh well , I am a sucker for itunes , give credit where its due.

Having said that , its not rocket science ( the whole mp3 music business) , wait till the Microsoft guys copy this entire business model and better it.
    Ok, trying to find any portion where you quoted me where I said "Most people wouldn't be interested in X"....nope. Never said it.
    ok, here you go.....

Don't know either, and don't care as is the case for most people.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

on top of that NONE of my apps would launch after applying the 2.2 update... i have to delete all of them and reinstall one by one...

and the 2.0 update? it wiped out all of my contacts on BOTH the phone and iTunes...

nice work apple! o well... it's a nice alarm clock tho...
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by dd4618 View Post
    on top of that NONE of my apps would launch after applying the 2.2 update... i have to delete all of them and reinstall one by one...

and the 2.0 update? it wiped out all of my contacts on BOTH the phone and iTunes...

nice work apple! o well... it's a nice alarm clock tho...

hmm, didn't happen to me. Do you think that maybe, just maybe, this is not an indication of the quality of the upgrade and just might be a problem isolated to your device.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

oh well,
    I know six guys who use iPhone and complain about carrying chargers everywhere. You are right about most mobile phone users not carrying extra batteries. But most power business users , who have more than three email accounts buy a bigger capacity battery and replace once for all.
    In case of iPhone , it clearly lags it. With iPhone , either you buy one of those power jackets or you carry power cords everywhere.
    oh well,
    I know six guys who use iPhone and complain about carrying chargers everywhere. You are right about most mobile phone users not carrying extra batteries. But most power business users , who have more than three email accounts buy a bigger capacity battery and replace once for all.
    In case of iPhone , it clearly lags it. With iPhone , either you buy one of those power jackets or you carry power cords everywhere.

I would agree, but adding a bigger capacity battery usually adds so much additional bulk that most people are not going to do it.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    hmm, didn't happen to me. Do you think that maybe, just maybe, this is not an indication of the quality of the upgrade and just might be a problem isolated to your device.
    A quick google search of "iphone 2.2 problems" brings up a several links listing various problems with the 2.2 update, including the problem that dd4618 had, so maybe, just maybe, it isn't just his phone.

oh well , I am a sucker for itunes , give credit where its due.

Having said that , its not rocket science ( the whole mp3 music business) , wait till the Microsoft guys copy this entire business model and better it.
    Like the zune, vista, Windows ME, Microsoft Bob, Windows Mobile, etc. I do love my xbox though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    A quick google search of "iphone 2.2 problems" brings up a several links listing various problems with the 2.2 update, including the problem with dd4618, so maybe, just maybe, it isn't just his phone.
    I can google treo 650 problems and get a ton of hits that probably most people never experienced. If there was a serious iphone OS 2.2 problem, most of the approximately 20 million iPhone owners would be complaining.
    ok, here you go.....
    Dude, that's clearly pertaining to OSX. Again, that's not an opinion...the majority of people - whether you are talking about the majority of people on the planet, the majority in the continental US, or even the majority of people who regularly use a computer in the US- are not concerned if a phone "syncs with their MacBook."

How do we know this? Because MacBook sales are nowhere near high enough to comprise a majority of any of these groups of people. Last time I checked, MacBook marketshare among laptops was nearing or JUST past 20 percent. TWENTY. As in missing 80 out of 100. If you factor in desktops, OSX marketshare total is at 9 percent. For the Nth time now, that does not mean Palm should blindly ignore these minorities, but they are not and should be primary priorities. If I owned a MacBook, I would feel the same way. Can we please moveon.org?
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I can google treo 650 problems and get a ton of hits that probably most people never experienced. If there was a serious iphone OS 2.2 problem, most of the approximately 20 million iPhone owners would be complaining.
    Oh, no doubt that a quick google search and scan certainly isn't deep research into how wide spread the issue is. I just felt your post to be extremely condescending to dd4618. Maybe you didn't mean it to come off this way but I read it as "My phone had no problems with the update, so your problems with it are insignificant."

Dude, that's clearly pertaining to OSX. Again, that's not an opinion...the majority of people - whether you are talking about the majority of people on the planet, the majority in the continental US, or even the majority of people who regularly use a computer in the US- are not concerned if a phone "syncs with their MacBook."

How do we know this? Because MacBook sales are nowhere near high enough to comprise a majority of any of these groups of people. Last time I checked, MacBook marketshare among laptops was nearing or JUST past 20 percent. TWENTY. As in missing 80 out of 100. If you factor in desktops, OSX marketshare total is at 9 percent. For the Nth time now, that does not mean Palm should blindly ignore these minorities, but they are not and should be primary priorities. If I owned a MacBook, I would feel the same way. Can we please moveon.org?
    This is a cray argument that I no longer wish to have. If Palm (or any company) only focused on the majority and did not consider a minority that may include 10s of millions of potential customers then they are insane and probably doomed to fail. Successful marketing would probably consider the loyalty to a certain brand and potential percentage of brand users who may only consider purchasing a device that supports their favorite OS. This may not be an issue for 80 percent of windows users, but I can bet you that 80 percent of OSX users would find this important. Anyway, I would assume Palm would be very interested in tapping in to the significant OSX market even though it may not be as large as the Windows market.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast