Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    MWC 2009: Palm Pre out-iPhones the iPhone | PhoneDog.com

I got my first in-person look at the Palm Pre smartphone Monday in Barcelona, and I came away a believer. Having not gone to CES last month, I hadn't yet seen Pre in person, and while I trusted my fellow bloggers when they proclaimed that Pre really was all that and a bag of chips, I'm the sort of skeptic who needs to see for himself in order to really believe.

Since seeing Pre in person, several friends of mine have asked me the same Million Dollar Question: Is it better than iPhone? "Better" is really subjective when it comes to evaluating a smartphone, mainly because every user has unique wants and needs in a mobile device.

That said, my answer is a reserved Yes: Pre in its current state really is better than iPhone when it comes to core services like messaging, notifications, and integrated local/Web search. Thing is, Pre hasn't launched yet and everyone I know is betting the farm that Apple's sitting on a hot new iPhone ready to be unveiled right around the time that Pre hits the streets. So Apple could be poised to deflate Palm's balloon just as it readies for a glorious launch.

Never mind the speculation for now, though. The fact of the moment, so to speak, is that Palm's Pre is a mightily impressive device - the WebOS in particular is an excellent example of form meeting function. Imagine iPhone's eye candy, only sweeter, with smooth animations, eye-pleasing graphics, and multi-touch gestures including one to literally flick apps and conversations off of the screen when you're done with them.

Now imagine that eye candy merged with the kinds of mobile services and functionality that tech geeks and mainstream users alike can appreciate: True multitasking, wireless syncing of calendars and contacts across multiple accounts, integrated search across local content (like your address book) and online data (like Google and Wikipedia).

That gives you a basic picture of Pre: Honestly, it's that good. I have concerns about the tiny QWERTY buttons and vertically sliding form factor, and of course everyone's wondering if Sprint can give Pre the kind of US launch and support that Palm so dearly needs (and, it would seem, deserves). But the "Wow!" far outweighs the "Hmm..." when it comes to my take on this pre-production Pre.

Palm is hard at work on getting an SDK into developers' hands and ensuring that consumers will have the widest range of options possible when it comes to extending Pre's capabilities with user-installed software. And they're confident that the WebOS will make developing for Pre much, much easier than developing for iPhone. So we'll just have to see what emerges in the way of Pre/WebOS apps in the coming months.

Meantime, buckle up and get ready for a fun ride. 2009 is shaping up to be the year that Web-connected smartphones get easy to use and out into the hands of the masses, and not just the hardcore phone geeks.
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Nothing out-iPods an iPhone, but I do agree that the Pre will do almost everything else better than the iPhone.
    Playing music and videos is not that big of a deal. Out ipods? Apple's main strength in that area is the itunes store.

Palm had better have a desktop app that is similar to itunes. They're missing the boat if not because i think most mainstream users want that even if dragging and dropping is faster.
    And I'm going to be the dissenter here ... I RARELY physically sync my Treo. Most of my important data is sync-ed wirelessly to our Exchange server. Yes, I know that not everyone has Exchange. However, if the Pre provides for a cloud sync, that is 1) Reliable and 2) Accessible to non-enterprise users as well, then that would be perfect. Plus many of the "cloud" (I hate that word) apps will sync to your PC/Mac as well (e.g. Google contacts/calendar). So, then you have local sync as well as "cloud" sync ... all wireless.

Now, it still is important to backup all the non-PIM data as well, such as app databases. I'm hoping/trusting Palm will provide for that.
    Sprint Treo 755p
    After watching numerous Pre videos I think I can definitely say that there is at least one other area where the iPhone has a clear advantage.........ease of use. For some, the best feature of the iPhone is the ability to just pick it up and go. Due to the true multitasking abilities of the Pre, it seems a lot more complicated to use. For most here that might not be an issue. However, in my many trips to the Apple store in my local mall, I am amazed in how many elderly and other non-techie people appear to be purchasing the iPhone.
    That's because in a lot of ways, the iphone is really a beginner's smartphone and that its missing features help keep it simple. If you start to add in more features, that usability starts to get more complex. I think palm has done a great job doing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    That's because in a lot of ways, the iphone is really a beginner's smartphone and that its missing features help keep it simple. If you start to add in more features, that usability starts to get more complex. I think palm has done a great job doing that.
    I'm in my 40s (I'm old). I got my first cell phone in 1998. I think I am far from a beginner. Every time I switch from my iPhone to another device, I always find myself coming back. Just because it doesn't do MMS, its far from a "beginners" device.
    Throw in multitasking and the other missing features and see how grandma and the nontechies do using an iphone. It'll certainly raise the learning curve.

Right now the aol-phone is simple to use and that's a strength for them. They won't add multitasking... And why would they if they don't think other missing features are important?
    Throw in multitasking and the other missing features and see how grandma and the nontechies do using an iphone. It'll certainly raise the learning curve.

Right now the aol-phone is simple to use and that's a strength for them. They won't add multitasking... And why would they if they don't think other missing features are important?
    No doubt the next iPhone with have multitasking. The help wanted listings on the Apple site kind of give it away. The treo (palm OS) never multitasked, do you consider that a beginners phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I'm in my 40s (I'm old). I got my first cell phone in 1998. I think I am far from a beginner. Every time I switch from my iPhone to another device, I always find myself coming back. Just because it doesn't do MMS, its far from a "beginners" device.
    I agree. Those that say it's simply a "beginners" device, have not really done their research. Within the last six months there have been hundreds of apps added that make the iPhone very business friendly. Like I have said numerous times, it's not for everyone just like any other phone is not for everyone.

There's a site for iPhone apps, www.appshopper.com that you can go to and apps. Many are crap, but look in the business, productivity, medical and utility sections.

I do hope the Pre is all that it seems to be. If so, I will probably give it a try.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Nope, because the treo wasn't crippled in missing features. Third party apps were open. Could be tweaked. PDA features superior or 3rd party upgrades. Multitasking is simply a feature.

The aol-phone, for many reasons, is a beginner's phone or people who solely focus on multimedia. I own one. I like the simplicity but i sorely miss having more features and usefulness out of it. There's nothing to take offense at here.

And what help wanted signs are you talking about? Help wanted..someone to come in and bring multitasking to our iphone? LOL

Next for iPhone: Multitasking? - PC World

There's an article from PC World. The biggest question, though, is why would Apple allow multitasking? Push notifications make sense because they do not benefit any third-party apps that would directly compete with Apple's own services. However, it seems that Internet radio apps stand to benefit greatly from multitasking, but that could detract from Apple's own iTunes service. Some other apps might thrive in a multitasking environment, but iTunes is Apple's cash cow, and I don't see Apple making any changes that could interfere with that success.

Yeah, what happened to that push stuff apple kept talking about earlier? IPhone Push Notifications: Dead or in the Wings? - PC World

But what Apple didn't necessarily take into account was the user. Right now, you might get text messages popping up dialog boxes when you're browsing the Web or checking your e-mail, but imagine that every application on the iPhone had the ability to interrupt you. Sure, you'd probably be able to turn the notifications on and off for individual apps, but all it takes is one irresponsible application, and you're inundated with dialog boxes and literal bells and whistles.

Apple prides itself on simplicity and elegance--maybe the company realized that the notification system might cause more problems than it solved.

Another problem with multitasking? It wouldn't work too well on the original iphone or iphone 3g. Not enough power. And apple would want to please everyone with an OS upgrade that would include multitasking.

For simplicity reasons and backward compatibility, multitasking isn't coming anytime soon, if ever, to the iphone. Me thinks the OS would need to be redesigned a bit and the new hardware would run an upgraded OS that would not be compatible with iphone or iphone 3g.
    Nope, because the treo wasn't crippled in missing features. Third party apps were open. Could be tweaked. PDA features superior or 3rd party upgrades. Multitasking is simply a feature.

The aol-phone, for many reasons, is a beginner's phone or people who solely focus on multimedia. I own one. I like the simplicity but i sorely miss having more features and usefulness out of it. There's nothing to take offense at here.

And what help wanted signs are you talking about? Help wanted..someone to come in and bring multitasking to our iphone? LOL

Next for iPhone: Multitasking? - PC World

There's an article from PC World. The biggest question, though, is why would Apple allow multitasking? Push notifications make sense because they do not benefit any third-party apps that would directly compete with Apple's own services. However, it seems that Internet radio apps stand to benefit greatly from multitasking, but that could detract from Apple's own iTunes service. Some other apps might thrive in a multitasking environment, but iTunes is Apple's cash cow, and I don't see Apple making any changes that could interfere with that success.

Yeah, what happened to that push stuff apple kept talking about earlier? IPhone Push Notifications: Dead or in the Wings? - PC World

But what Apple didn't necessarily take into account was the user. Right now, you might get text messages popping up dialog boxes when you're browsing the Web or checking your e-mail, but imagine that every application on the iPhone had the ability to interrupt you. Sure, you'd probably be able to turn the notifications on and off for individual apps, but all it takes is one irresponsible application, and you're inundated with dialog boxes and literal bells and whistles.

Apple prides itself on simplicity and elegance--maybe the company realized that the notification system might cause more problems than it solved.

Another problem with multitasking? It wouldn't work too well on the original iphone or iphone 3g. Not enough power. And apple would want to please everyone with an OS upgrade that would include multitasking.

For simplicity reasons and backward compatibility, multitasking isn't coming anytime soon, if ever, to the iphone. Me thinks the OS would need to be redesigned a bit and the new hardware would run an upgraded OS that would not be compatible with iphone or iphone 3g.
    Apple would allow multitasking because they are smart. If their competitors are doing it, so will they. Most people feel they dropped the push notifications because they felt it wasn't good enough or it was difficult to implement.

If you think Apple would need to get multitasking on the current iPhones to make "everybody happy" then you just don't know how apple operates. Just look at the ipod. Most new features required a new hardware purchase.

I use my iPhone everyday in a corporate environment. Maybe what doesn't work for you, works fine for other people. I find my iPhone more usable, powerful, and just plain better than my Palm treo ever was.
    Apple would allow multitasking because they are smart. If their competitors are doing it, so will they. Most people feel they dropped the push notifications because they felt it wasn't good enough or it was difficult to implement.
    The problem is, we don't know if its as easy as Apple deciding to allow multitasking. To me, it seems like their OS would need a bit of an overhaul to allow that. Regardless, if are able to easily allow multitasking, it'll still be based around the homescreen, like WM is. Many of us have had that before, and now see the 'cards' interface, and don't want to go back to that again.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

If you think Apple would need to get multitasking on the current iPhones to make "everybody happy" then you just don't know how apple operates. Just look at the ipod. Most new features required a new hardware purchase.

I use my iPhone everyday in a corporate environment. Maybe what doesn't work for you, works fine for other people. I find my iPhone more usable, powerful, and just plain better than my Palm treo ever was.
    I think the Iphone is underpowered for true multitasking. It can't even run epocrates medical software as fast as my treo pro. Plus I noticed slowdowns whenever I "multitasked" (itunes running in the background). The OS X code base is going to be it's achilles heel.
    In terms of ease of use, I agree it's the best out there. I gave mine to my wife who is a non techie and loves it, she was able to pick up how to do most things in a heartbeat. She looks at my treo pro and says " how do you use that complicated thing?"
    Where did i say the iphone wasn't usable? Calling it a beginner's smartphone doesn't mean this. Saying i got more usefulness from my treo doesn't mean the iphone doesn't have its uses.

Again, i love the simplicity of the iphone. For me personally, it doesn't do everything i want but what it does, it does it well. And so i live without some things or apps that i was used to with my centro.

The Pre addresses a lot of this for me personally though and makes the choice of buying one...for me...easy.

Regarding the multitasking, i never thought much of it when the old palm vs wm arguments occurred. But after seeing on Pre, this multitasking i like.

<<<<Apple would allow multitasking because they are smart. If their competitors are doing it, so will they>>>>

Apple is smart in that they know what people want. Simplicity. Elegance. For stuff to work and look good. And they know what features most like and what features aren't vital (yet somewhat desired if only because competitor A has it).

Competitors have been doing stuff like copy and paste, office apps editing, MMS, real gps, stereo bt, tethering, etc and apple hasn't been compelled to add it. Why all of a sudden multitasking given the huge problem it will be for them? Are its core users screaming for it? I don't really think so..
    oooh good thread. someone to have seen it up close and personal.

some good points there. yes I doubt pre will out ipod apple, but then I didn't expect it to. and having never *gasp* never owned an ipod that doesn't bother me.

I've only ever had SE phones prior to my LG990 so as long as the Pre plays music well that's good enough for me.

I'm already sold on the other features.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Nothing out-iPods an iPhone, but I do agree that the Pre will do almost everything else better than the iPhone.
    agreed... ill even take it a step further and say whatever apple has in terms of new iphone wont match what the pre has done outside of the media aspects.

multitasking, synergy, notifications etc. i think they might have multitasking but it wont work as well or with as many "cards" as the pre is designed to work with. but both devices arent even out yet so its a big guessing game. but i do think far too many ifans are putting too much hope in the "next" iphone and what it will bring to compete with what we have seen from the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by maltese_falcon View Post
    oooh good thread. someone to have seen it up close and personal.

some good points there. yes I doubt pre will out ipod apple, but then I didn't expect it to. and having never *gasp* never owned an ipod that doesn't bother me.

I've only ever had SE phones prior to my LG990 so as long as the Pre plays music well that's good enough for me.

I'm already sold on the other features.
    The original poster is not the one that got the hands on, he was just copying and pasting what Noah, from phonedog.com wrote about his experience with the Pre. Click on the link he provided at the top and it will take you to Noahs article.
    well therein lies the issue. pre was designed from the ground up for multi tasking. Iphone wasn't. its basically that simple. even if they effectively retrofit the iphone OS to multitask, its a background hack.
    "I have concerns about the tiny QWERTY buttons and vertically sliding form factor, and of course everyone's wondering if Sprint can give Pre the kind of US launch and support that Palm so dearly needs (and, it would seem, deserves)."

The keyboard shouldn't be a problem for most people considering its bigger that the Centro's (which I find ok for me). Also you can expect Sprint to launch the Pre big time. I guess the blogger did not see the CEO of Sprint at CES last month? He mention that this is going to be an iconic device and very successful device.
    Last edited by miles4000; 02/17/2009 at 03:11 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast