Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As someone contemplating a new device, like many others on this forum, I thought a comparison would be nice, on the 3 OS in terms of features and usability.

Im myself not too aware of the Web OS and Android features so would be grateful for any suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya View Post
    As someone contemplating a new device, like many others on this forum, I thought a comparison would be nice, on the 3 OS in terms of features and usability.

Im myself not too aware of the Web OS and Android features so would be grateful for any suggestions.
    It would be good, but I'd take it with a grain of salt for now. We only know a bit about WebOS right now, so I think such a comparison would be premature.
    I've used WM for almost a year now. Its not even in the same category as Android or WebOS in its default state. The only way it can match up is with TouchFlo3D, or TouchWiz, which are addon interfaces that HTC and Samsung tack onto the default interface to basically hide the whole thing from you as much as possible.

Android I haven't actually used on a phone, but I have played with the emulator, and it needs more polish, in my opinion. It's like many Google products, gets the basics done, but has an unfinished feel. The good thing about it is that any company can get in there and finish it up however they like.

I'm not going to lie though, I've already decided on WebOS being almost perfect for my needs, so I'll skip that part so as to not seem too biased.
    Android is still pretty new so software is still pretty scarce. WinMo has been out forever, tons and tons and tons of apps and ways to mod your phone. What your phone can't do out of the box, you can make it do with the thousands of apps and hacks available.

Problem with WinMo of course is the clumsy interface which most people can only navigate with a stylus. There are quite few nice UI's available that you can throw on top of Windows Mobile, but overall, the interaction with the phone is just not quite as smooth as it looks to be like on the Pre. Also, even the newest phones aren't all that snappy compared to what I have seen on the Pre or the iPhone. Click on something, and be prepared to wait, also be prepared for that daily soft reset...the more you play with a winmo phone, the more likely you are to have to reset it frequently.

Can't judge webos until we get to try it.
    Also, Pocket IE, the WM web browser... Not so hot. At least not the last time I used it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    Also, Pocket IE, the WM web browser... Not so hot. At least not the last time I used it.
    I never use it, I use Opera Mobile 9.5 and skyfire. Skyfire can handle flash, and just about everything else you can throw at it, but it's still in beta and server based, so security is pretty much non existent. Opera Mini works like skyfire and is very fast, no flash support though.

Winmo 6.5 will have a better version of PIE, but it's still nothing like Opera Mobile 9.5.
    i have been using WM for about 4 years now i would guess. started with the htc 6700 and now using the 6800. i chose it because it would easily link to my computer and exchange data. it uses outlook and such, you all know.

i am thinking ANYTHING would be better then WM for ease of use and like you said soft resets on a regular basis.

i realize this phone will have problems when it first comes out, but the potential it will be remedied quickly is better then WM.

i want to wait for the second wave of phones to come out to have any major problems worked out, but i want rid of my phone so bad i doubt i will.

the pre looks simple, i like that
    Well, if you look at what happened with the iPhone...it was the hot new device....and yes, the updated version came, but all it did was add 3G, more space, and supposedly better battery life. The software was buggy...and even the software updates were buggy.

So...you can sit there and wait for the next generation of the Pre, but really...why? Yes early adopters always get to pay more, and are partially beta testers, but you also one of the few to have one. I don't foresee any huge changes going from one generation to another, especially in a one year cycle. The next year Pre will probably just have more internal memory and a few other tweaks, it's probably going to be the one after that that will be a major update.
    I would not discount WM so quickly.

I think some of you guys are confusing lack of slickness with lack of power / function. WM is easily the most powerful Phone OS out there.

I am a long time Palm OS user and finally made the jump to WM last year and all I can say is that the 2 can't even compare.

WM is a mature, true multi-tasking, multi-threadded OS. It is incredibly powerful. Any developer who can write code for desktop windows can pretty much code for Windows Mobile. There is an app for just about everything. There is the ability for the user to customize pretty much every area of the UI. Having a registry is a very useful thing. The hacker community supports Windows Mobile like you would not believe.

The thing that Windows Mobile does not have is a slick looking front end like iphone, RIM and Android. Under that shinny exterior Windows Mobile is much more powerful and able to do many things that the others can't.

I am probably going to buy a Pre when it comes out but I am also going to keep my Windows Mobile device. I hope that when WebOS matures a little it will be able to do all the things that Windows Mobile can but it will depend on the developer support and support from the hacker community.
    Last edited by rc46; 02/16/2009 at 03:19 PM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I would not discount WM so quickly.

I think you guys are confusing lack of slickness with lack of power / function. WM is easily the most powerful Phone OS out there.

I am a long time Palm OS user and finally made the jump to WM last year and all I can say is that the 2 can't even compare.

WM is a mature, true multi-tasking, multi-threadded OS. It is incredibly powerful. Any developer who can write code for desktop windows can pretty much code for Windows Mobile. There is an app for just about everything. There is the ability for the user to customize pretty much every area of the UI. Having a registry is a very useful thing. The hacker community supports Windows Mobile like you would not believe.

The thing that Windows Mobile does not have is a slick looking front end like iphone, RIM and Android. Under that shinny exterior Windows Mobile is much more powerful and able to do many things that the others can't.

I am probably going to buy a Pre when it comes out but I am also going to keep my Windows Mobile device. I hope that when WebOS matures a little it will be able to do all the things that Windows Mobile can but it will depend on the developer support and support from the hacker community.
    I agree with all you say, I mod the hell out of my phone too, but I am pretty tired of it. Seeing the CES demo just opened my eyes and showed me how easy it can be to use a phone. It just perfectly suits my needs, and my WinMo phone has just become such a hassle to use compared to what I have seen with the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I agree with all you say, I mod the hell out of my phone too, but I am pretty tired of it. Seeing the CES demo just opened my eyes and showed me how easy it can be to use a phone. It just perfectly suits my needs, and my WinMo phone has just become such a hassle to use compared to what I have seen with the Pre.
    I agree. Once you mod it up a lot it does take a fair amount of maintenance / tinkering to keep it running smoothly.

As far as ease of use goes, I think that depends on the WM form factor that you use. My Treo 800w is one handed in almost every respect and it has the Palm "Special Sauce" that most WM phones dont have.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I agree. Once you mod it up a lot it does take a fair amount of maintenance / tinkering to keep it running smoothly.

As far as ease of use goes, I think that depends on the WM form factor that you use. My Treo 800w is one handed in almost every respect and it has the Palm "Special Sauce" that most WM phones dont have.
    Mine is a Sprint Touch with Manila 2d installed. Looks pretty....but a bit cumbersome.
    I keep coming across posts here and other forums that Android is real similar to WM. I'm still liking my Treo Pro, and haven't seen any compelling reason to switch to Android.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 07/26/2010 at 10:03 AM.
    From the depths of ....

In general terms I would say it is similar, when compared to other mobile OS's.

I would think hardware alone at this point would be compelling... but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

Are you baiting or something... How did you run across an 18 month old thread and then essentially bump it?
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    From the depths of ....

In general terms I would say it is similar, when compared to other mobile OS's.

I would think hardware alone at this point would be compelling... but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

Are you baiting or something... How did you run across an 18 month old thread and then essentially bump it?
    Thanks,

No, I'm not baiting.
    I'd really like to hear how others who have used both see the similarities.

Others can take this how they want; but I have no trouble searching for answers in these forums using the forum search tools. I found this by putting WM and Android as the key words to search for, and this thread popped up in the results. Rather than starting a new thread, I posting in a thread that was already started.
    funny thing is I didn't even notice the date. It was 'On Topic' so I posted in it.
    If you have any specific questions I could try to answer them. I am pretty familiar with both.
    But in general, the UI and navigational structure is similar to that of WM.

You must have some fairly good reasons for holding onto that Treo (outdated hardware and OS at this point), so I would guess it would depend on what those primary factors are.
    Thanks again.

I just haven't seen anything that has given me reason to upgrade.
    I've never been one to want the latest in tech.
    I give things time to see where they go.

Apple is solid - I thought about an iPhone4, but when I saw the reception issue, and then the way Jobs handled it, I started thinking more seriously about Android.
    But in my research I see comments about it being similar to WM.
    So I started thinking why? - I like what I have.

I now there's an ongoing thread about reception issues with the Captivate.

I'll sit back and wait to see if HP comes up with something cool.
    The OS gets lots of cheers.
    Just call me Berd.
    It's similar in that many manufacturers make phones for the OS. It's similar in that the modding community makes custom roms for both platforms. It's similar in that it is the mainstream 'go to' OS for a power user. It also has similarities in the current state of fragmentation. Android and winmo are on all carriers unlike iOS and webOS. They both have a home screen and they multitask the same way. They also both have problems managing open apps and most people use task manager to close them. HTC makes similar frontends for both (sense UI, touchflo 3d) Apparently the UI of both OS's are rather lame because companies are always 'skinning' both of them.

I just realized something. You don't need to 'root' or jailbreak a WM device. they come ready to mess with like webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    It's similar in that many manufacturers make phones for the OS. It's similar in that the modding community makes custom roms for both platforms. It's similar in that it is the mainstream 'go to' OS for a power user. It also has similarities in the current state of fragmentation. Android and winmo are on all carriers unlike iOS and webOS. They both have a home screen and they multitask the same way. They also both have problems managing open apps and most people use task manager to close them. HTC makes similar frontends for both (sense UI, touchflo 3d) Apparently the UI of both OS's are rather lame because companies are always 'skinning' both of them.

I just realized something. You don't need to 'root' or jailbreak a WM device. they come ready to mess with like webOS.
    I would highly disagree with this. After owning a EVO (and previously a Hero, Pre, Q and Tilt). Android 2.1+ does a wonderful job of managing applications in memory while multitasking. My EVO scales the CPU (running stock ROM) and manages the memory perfectly. You do not have to use task killers at all. It manages the memory and CPU demands very well while multitasking. Sure it is not intuitive and elegant as webOS in the manner in which it multitasks... but it absolutely manages the applications in a more effective manner while multitasking (when compared to WM6/webOS). I think most would agree that both Android 2.1 and webOS do a better job multitasking (both visually and with regards to application management) than iOS.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast