Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Also assuming they could fix the cut and paste on the iphone and open the device up to other carriers. Would this sink Palm and the Pre?

I really love the looks of the Pre and its being released on my network. My fear is the fruit company's response to the latest larger screen smartphones with keyboards.
    Who knows? But I doubt it. The Pre still does many things the iPhone doesn't. Cut and paste is only the beginning. The Pre allows real multi-tasking. The iPhone doesn't offer the kind of integration of contacts, email accounts, and email/text/IM that the Pre offers. It's likely the Pre will offer turn-by-turn directions, which Apple stubbornly resists. And the Pre will be a much more open platform than is the iPhone. Finally, the Pre is "new" and has the latest "buzz." That won't matter to the real fanboys, but to those for whom the phone is a fashion accessory, and a sign of how cool they are, it will matter.

And it's not like Steve Jobs to respond to the competition by incorporating their features into his devices. He's a visionary, and visionaries always think they know better. His entire design mantra for the iPhone was built around clean, simple, minimalism. It's not by accident the iPhone has only one button. Adding a keyboard would force Jobs to admit there's a better way, and I think that's not likely. I think he's absolutely convinced the touch screen is "better." (We might finally see a landscape keyboard, though, which seemed an obvious need to everyone else when the iPhone was first introduced.)

And I doubt Apple CAN open up the iPhone on other carriers any time soon. Apple demanded, and got, far more autonomy on the iPhone specs than most phone manufacturers get. I strongly suspect AT&T demanded a substantial exclusion period in exchange.

I'm not suggesting the Pre will outsell the iPhone, but if it really does all the things Palm says, and does them well, I think it will attract a sizeable audience regardless of what Apple does.

One other thought: If the Pre suits your needs, does it really matter what Apple comes out with later? Or do you view the phone as fashion accessory first, functional tool second?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    No.

1st - there is enough room in the industry for these 2 phones
    2nd - the I phone is more focused on music, web, games (apps)
    3ed - pre has functions Iphone doesn't - quality PIM function - in the box - and apple isn't intrested in these functions.

IMO
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Also assuming they could fix the cut and paste on the iphone and open the device up to other carriers. Would this sink Palm and the Pre?

I really love the looks of the Pre and its being released on my network. My fear is the fruit company's response to the latest larger screen smartphones with keyboards.
    I think being exclusive to AT&T is much better for device sales than being exclusive to Sprint. It would be nice though if the iPhone wasn't the only device that AT&T will not unlock upon request.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I think being exclusive to AT&T is much better for device sales than being exclusive to Sprint. It would be nice though if the iPhone wasn't the only device that AT&T will not unlock upon request.
    Agrre -Sprint is a very weak company at the moment. Exclusive w/ ATT&T is much better.

On a good note: Palm only has a launch exclusive. The Pre will eventualy be on every newtwork. That's a BIG advantage over the iphone.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Would an iphone with keyboard doom the Pre?

Personally, I don't think so. There is no doubt in my mind that eventually Apple will be comming out with differnt model iPhones. I believe one of them will have a keyboard but, the original model, sans keyboard, will still be available.

Much like the different models of iPods, I don't think they can keep market share with just a "one-flavor-fits-all" mentality.
    My Evolution
    Palm Pilot
    Palm V
    Clie N760C
    Treo 650
    Centro
    Pre
    NO

Like I said a thousand times, Pre's killer features are

1. true multitasking with no interruption of users workflow
    2. cloud and synergy

These are so much ahead of iPhone, any users, I guarantee you, will be addicted to it as soon as they use it, then word of mouth will establish its reputation over a week.

I never care about physical or virtual keyboard or copy/paste.

True multi-tasking is the fundamental improvement of mobile device and enable a phone to compete truly with a computer.

These are the things that are truly revolutionary, a physical keyboard, or a copy/paste, is NOT.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    NO

2. cloud and synergy

These are so much ahead of iPhone, any users, I guarantee you, will be addicted to it as soon as they use it, then word of mouth will establish its reputation over a week.

True multi-tasking is the fundamental improvement of mobile device and enable a phone to compete truly with a computer.

These are the things that are truly revolutionary, a physical keyboard, or a copy/paste, is NOT.
    I got to tell you, your number 2 makes really no sense to me. How is it different to an iPhone user that syncs to an Exchange server, uses AIM for IM, uses the awesome Facebook client, and so on.

I like the Pre. I really want to try it out. But it might be a tough sell to iPhone users in particular, especially since there will probably be a 32 gig version released soon. Palm will be selling an 8 gig phone for around the same price.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post

One other thought: If the Pre suits your needs, does it really matter what Apple comes out with later? Or do you view the phone as fashion accessory first, functional tool second?
    I don't view my phone as a fashion accessory at all. Very much the functional tool. So from that perspective, honestly the 755p I'm using does everything I truly need. Mail, web, phone, text, open and edit Office Docs, view pdfs. So my next phone would have to do all these things as well and hopefully perform them better.

I've never been allured by the iphone, specifically for the lack of a keyboard and its consumer focused as you mentioned. My only concern with Apple would be if I were to purchase the Pre and Palm ultimately fails. Then no support, no further development, no future apps, etc. I've stuck with Palm since my Palm pilot, but if their not around I might as well start getting used to a new platform. eg. Blackberry, android, winmo, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I got to tell you, your number 2 makes really no sense to me. How is it different to an iPhone user that syncs to an Exchange server, uses AIM for IM, uses the awesome Facebook client, and so on.

I like the Pre. I really want to try it out. But it might be a tough sell to iPhone users in particular, especially since there will probably be a 32 gig version released soon. Palm will be selling an 8 gig phone for around the same price.
    did you watch the keynote at all?
    did you watch the keynote at all?
    Yes.
    Yes.
    well, then I suggest you try it out when its out.

Other than the keynote, real world feel is the only I can suggest. Palm is pushing some quite revolutionary ideas, which sometimes need handon experiences.

At the same time, give a read on Ars' article here
    I also want to recommend another article from Ars, these two explains more clearly of my previous statement of Pre's TWO revolutionary features.
    I read the first article, and I guess I'm still trying to figure out the difference between Exchange ActiveSync or MobileMe, and the Synergy you discussed. All of these solutions store the data on a server somewhere. Using Exchange, I can change a contact on my iPhone and it updates on my Exchange server without me having to click a "sync" button. Whats the difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    Agrre -Sprint is a very weak company at the moment. Exclusive w/ ATT&T is much better.

On a good note: Palm only has a launch exclusive. The Pre will eventualy be on every newtwork. That's a BIG advantage over the iphone.
    Absolutely true. In fact, though I have no plands to leave AT&T, I probably wouldn't migrate from PalmOS to an AT&T only smartphone. One reason I switched to AT&T from Verzion was I was tired of Verizon trying to stuff crippled handsets down my throat.

Unfortunately the freedom you get with GSM has been somewhat curtailed with 3G handsets because they don't have 3G radios yet that support all worldwide GSM 3G standards.
    What meyerweb said. It won't happen. Like disabled copy/paste, the virtual keyboard is yet another "one-button mouse" from Apple, where pride trumps logic. If anything, I expect the next iPhone to be smaller and thinner.
    I read the first article, and I guess I'm still trying to figure out the difference between Exchange ActiveSync or MobileMe, and the Synergy you discussed. All of these solutions store the data on a server somewhere. Using Exchange, I can change a contact on my iPhone and it updates on my Exchange server without me having to click a "sync" button. Whats the difference?
    Im not sure if MM is supported by Pre, but nonetheless, let me use it as an example:

With Pre, when you trying to found a contact's information (such as when you try to send a email, or trying to send an IM) or just trying to communicate with the guy, Pre will search all of those sources, be that MM, Exch ActiveSync, or AIM, or Gtalk, or Gmail, etc, and present them to you in a unified surface, without you go into individual services/apps and try to find them.

A detailed example was given in the keybote, when he continuously chatting with the lady through AIM, Text IM and email on one single UI. (also shown was continuous multitasking, the chatting continuous even when he was doing web, or calendar etc)
    NO

2. cloud and synergy

From the sound of things... you seem like you've experienced the PRE already.
    Im not sure if MM is supported by Pre, but nonetheless, let me use it as an example:

With Pre, when you trying to found a contact's information (such as when you try to send a email, or trying to send an IM) or just trying to communicate with the guy, Pre will search all of those sources, be that MM, Exch ActiveSync, or AIM, or Gtalk, or Gmail, etc, and present them to you in a unified surface, without you go into individual services/apps and try to find them.

A detailed example was given in the keybote, when he continuously chatting with the lady through AIM, Text IM and email on one single UI. (also shown was continuous multitasking, the chatting continuous even when he was doing web, or calendar etc)

Right, so its kind of a unified messenger that offers everything in one screen. My point is, is this significantly better?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    From the sound of things... you seem like you've experienced the PRE already.
    no, lol, this is morning after, when I followed the live blog from Engadget on the keynote day, I was just feeling soso. But Ars' articles and more readings got me thinking, and realized that the Pre is truly revolutionary milestone in mobile device history, much more so than two years ago iPhone.

Pre is bringing mobile device to the level of a true computer with multitasking. Its task-centric synergy and cloud, is something that even computer is not doing right now.

I watched a firefox concept video several months back, it display the vague idea of synergy as well. I believe this is the future of computers and OSes. Thats why I feel extremely trilled that Palm actually achieved this with Pre.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast