Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 61
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I hope Im an expert on WM or BB.... but
    If you are unaware that they multitask, you are no expert.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    If you are unaware that they multitask, you are no expert.
    no, obviously Im not. , I'm eager to see any hands on experience from whoever is familiar with BB and WM.

    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    After weeks of hands on testing I can tell you that you most definitely do not want a Storm.
    oooooh, oki
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    no, obviously Im not. , I'm eager to see any hands on experience from whoever is familiar with BB and WM.
    I use a BB every day and I can assure you it has full multitasking and a task switcher. I also use a PalmOS device every day so I am familar with its lack of multitasking.

    I do not use WM but given that reviews of the WM 6.1 Treo Pro specifically mention its Task Manager, you can be equally confident that it too, has full multi-tasking.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I use a BB every day and I can assure you it has full multitasking and a task switcher. I also use a PalmOS device every day so I am familar with its lack of multitasking.

    I do not use WM but given that reviews of the WM 6.1 Treo Pro specifically mention its Task Manager, you can be equally confident that it too, has full multi-tasking.
    I will be especially looking forward your experiences with Pre then. Afterall, Palm needs to compete with Both G1/iPhone AND BB, WM.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I will be especially looking forward your experiences with Pre then. Afterall, Palm needs to compete with Both G1/iPhone AND BB, WM.
    I am looking forward to trying out a Pre in the Sprint store. I won't be buying one initially though, since it won't be available on AT&T.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I am looking forward to trying out a Pre in the Sprint store. I won't be buying one initially though, since it won't be available on AT&T.
    Understand. the pair of iPhone/G1 vs Pre has been discussed alot, while BB vs Pre is just as important as the other comparison. We shall see.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidiot View Post
    I don't know why you guys want a physical keyboard so much. The iPhone looks a thousand times better than if it had a physical keyboard, and it allows the entire thing to be a screen.

    With the pre you have to slide it up every time you want to type ANYTHING. I used to have an LG Chocolate and I can tell you that after a while that get's really annoying. It makes it too tall, and wears out the phone from sliding it open all the time. Oh and how are you supposed to enter text when you are viewing the browser sideways???
    To me the iPhone looks somewhat better than it would with a slider keyboard, but hardly "a thousand times," as irrational exhuberance would have it. As long as the Pre looks decent while being small and contoured enough to fit elegantly in my front pocket, I'm fine trading thinness for a more solid keyboarding experience. I can operate my Centro one handed quite easily, due to tactile feedback.

    I'm not against virtual keyboards per se. I just dislike the iPhone's. The keys are too small for my taste, and I hate predictive text. Honestly, the Samsung Instinct I had, for all its faults, had a much better keyboard than the iPhone by simply having larger keys. Entering text into my iPod Touch is something I've never been able to achieve consistent accuracy with. That said, if I were an iPhone user, I'd rather have the next model have a footprint the size of the Pre while remaining all touchscreen -- the so-called iPhone Nano.

    I'd rather have a front-facing keyboard, but I can accept the tradeoff for full screen real estate, especially since it's just a matter of time before a soft keyboard becomes available (probably from SBP, possibly even from Palm).

    As far as entering text in landscape mode without a virtual keyboard, you don't. You just turn it to portrait mode, then turn it back to landscape when you're finished entering text. Not as onerous as you're insinuating.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidiot View Post
    I don't know why you guys want a physical keyboard so much. The iPhone looks a thousand times better than if it had a physical keyboard, and it allows the entire thing to be a screen.

    With the pre you have to slide it up every time you want to type ANYTHING. I used to have an LG Chocolate and I can tell you that after a while that get's really annoying. It makes it too tall, and wears out the phone from sliding it open all the time. Oh and how are you supposed to enter text when you are viewing the browser sideways???
    Because I can type about 1000% more accurately on a physical keyboard than on the iPhone / iTouch virtual keyboard, that's why.

    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    all these users of using Palm, and reading a ton of threads about multitaasking, i have to say i never missed it. maybe you don;t miss what you don;t have? Not sure, but hoping to get the pre and find out
    I miss the ability to start loading a big web page, and then go do something else while it finishes in the background.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    the iPhone does do Multi-tasking in some apps. For example, I can listen to music while I browse the web. But your right, it doesn't have system wide multi-tasking. The Blackberry does though, and I still never really had the urge to watch a movie at the same time I was typing an email. If I did, I would pause the movie, type up my email, then switch back. Thats the way I do it on my computer too. I guess the point I'm making is, while the PRE may be able to do this, my brain cannot.
    Most desktop users regularly toggle between apps in a way they don't on a mobile device. The Pre doesn't break any new ground in its ability to multitask compared to, say, WM. But it makes the full extent of multitasking functionality obvious to a novice user the way it is on the desktop. Each app, and each instance of an app (like a browser tab) is represented as a card that can be shoved to one side, shuffled or discarded. As a persistent metaphor, it's far more discoverable than WM's Task Manager.

    A good analogy would be the way the iPhone made the full functionality of touchscreens obvious. Touchscreens were hardly new, but eliminating the stylus from the UI and adding multitouch introduced a new paradigm of navigation. The technology was already there; but the interface guidelines were what needed to change for users to really "get" what touchscreens were capable of. The card system takes touchscreen navigation and multitasking to the next level
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    Most desktop users regularly toggle between apps in a way they don't on a mobile device. The Pre doesn't break any new ground in its ability to multitask compared to, say, WM. But it makes the full extent of multitasking functionality obvious to a novice user the way it is on the desktop. Each app, and each instance of an app (like a browser tab) is represented as a card that can be shoved to one side, shuffled or discarded. As a persistent metaphor, it's far more discoverable than WM's Task Manager.

    A good analogy would be the way the iPhone made the full functionality of touchscreens obvious. Touchscreens were hardly new, but eliminating the stylus from the UI and adding multitouch introduced a new paradigm of navigation. The technology was already there; but the interface guidelines were what needed to change for users to really "get" what touchscreens were capable of. The card system takes touchscreen navigation and multitasking to the next level
    well said
  11. #51  
    Only thing that could doom the pre is the iphone on sprint, verizon, att, t-mobile, and whatever other little carrier you can think.

    lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    thats true, but when you working on your calendar, a phone call came in, with iPhone, you have to close the calendar, while with Pre, you have everything undisturbed.
    THIS is a feature I've fantasized about having on my Treo for years. Thankfully technology has finally caught up and the OS has been written to allow for it.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  13.    #53  
    has anyone ever determined what the exclusivity period with AT&T actually is on the iphone. I would think at somepoint apple would want the phone on all carriers. I mean afterall they are now selling in walmart.
  14. #54  
    If Palm does things properly, webOS can doom WM, which is suddenly looking older than the Symbian S60... and Andoroid too. iPhone will probably hold out, if only because of the fanboys, though one does get tired of the iPhone rather quickly.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Only thing that could doom the pre is the iphone on sprint, verizon, att, t-mobile, and whatever other little carrier you can think.

    lol
    i think this really is a key advantage for Palm ... mush bigger market due to the abaility to be on various carriers in the US
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  16. #56  
    I bet VZW wont have it until 2010! That sucks big time.
  17. #57  
    What a pleasure it is to jump on this forum and read so many posts discussing the PRE. This is more exciting than the introduction of the Treo 600 way back when. Now, Plam has to keep feeding us folks good solid updated information on a regular basis to help keep this wave rolling right up to release. Here we all are, comparing PRE to iphone, and the PRE is winning! How good is that?
  18. fwinst's Avatar
    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    Agrre -Sprint is a very weak company at the moment. Exclusive w/ ATT&T is much better.

    On a good note: Palm only has a launch exclusive. The Pre will eventualy be on every newtwork. That's a BIG advantage over the iphone.
    Actually, giving AT&T the exclusive on the Pre would've been a bad business decision, for a couple of reasons. First, Sprint has been loyal to Palm products through thick and thin (very thin as of late), and this is a good way of further solidifying their business dealings. Second, and probably more importantly, Palm would not want to give an exclusive to the company that has the exclusive on their biggest rival (iPhone). Palm wanted to give this to a company that could benefit as much as they could from its success.

    Just because you have AT&T, don't assume that everything should go to them. I believe your wait for an AT&T branded Pre might be longer than you care to imagine. Maybe you'll be able to purchase a GSM version in Europe at the end of the year for about 600 euros. Although, who knows what will happen with the next genration phone with WebOS.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidiot View Post
    I don't know why you guys want a physical keyboard so much. The iPhone looks a thousand times better than if it had a physical keyboard, and it allows the entire thing to be a screen.

    With the pre you have to slide it up every time you want to type ANYTHING. I used to have an LG Chocolate and I can tell you that after a while that get's really annoying. It makes it too tall, and wears out the phone from sliding it open all the time. Oh and how are you supposed to enter text when you are viewing the browser sideways???
    I went to the Apple store already 80% sold on the device, my debit card was burning a serious whole in my pocket, and although I prefer Sprint's network over AT&T's (especially data!), I was willing to make the switch. I started playing with the iPhone in the store and "ohhh'd" & "ahhhh'd" until I tried to type a text message. It was awful!!! I HATE typing on the iPhone. That was a deal breaker for me. The lack of PIM as a priority was an issue too, but I could have gotten past that (with the help of a couple of apps I saw online). What I couldn't get past was the amount of time it took me to type a simple text message compared to my Treo 755P (and every other Treo I've owned back to the 300). Yes, the physical keyboard is smaller and less sleek, but somehow it just works.

    I'm not saying virtual keyboards are bad per say, they just aren't up to par with physical keyboards YET. Palm knows this. They decided to take a "just because you can doesn't mean you should" approach. Once virtual keyboards are better, it will be a snap to add the software (as opposed to later adding a keyboard to device like what has been suggested for the iPhone).

    Looks are cool, but function is necessary!
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
  20.    #60  
    I'm with you lax, I just can't type efficiently on the iphone. too frustrating
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions