Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Right, so its kind of a unified messenger that offers everything in one screen. My point is, is this significantly better?
    I believe it is, messenger is only a example, when writing email, it will pull contact with all your servers as well.

I believe the "task-centric" approach is what mobile devices, as well as, computer OSes, are heading.

I think uses will feel the benefit more profoundly when they truly experience it, imagine how many touches and clicks and wondering (which service is that info stored again?) thinking (unfortunately) they will be saving.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I believe it is, messenger is only a example, when writing email, it will pull contact with all your servers as well.

I believe the "task-centric" approach is what mobile devices, as well as, computer OSes, are heading.

I think uses will feel the benefit more profoundly when they truly experience it, imagine how many touches and clicks and wondering (which service is that info stored again?) thinking (unfortunately) they will be saving.
    I guess I definately need to try it out, but when I want to email my brother on my blackberry, I go into my email program. When I want to IM him, I go into my IM program. I have to admit, I never really thought of this as much of a problem.
    I guess I definately need to try it out, but when I want to email my brother on my blackberry, I go into my email program. When I want to IM him, I go into my IM program. I have to admit, I never really thought of this as much of a problem.
    You can email, SMS or phone someone from either the phone log or email screen of a Blackberry so it is pretty task centric.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    You can email, SMS or phone someone from either the phone log or email screen of a Blackberry so it is pretty task centric.
    now imagine that you want to IM with somebody at the same time want to pull some info from multiple websites. Or your IM buddy said he send you a email regarding some thing and you can see the email on exactly the same screen without switching app. Everything is continuously going on simultaneously.

I have to admit I never used a BB, so very hard to comment on that.

Nonetheless, definitely try out the Pre.

I really never imagine Palm step ahead not only every mobile device makers, but also computer OSes makers... this is amazing.
  5.    #25  
    I'm with you AdGrant, it seems just like semantics to me other than pooling all the contacts and calendars into one place. Because when I select a contact on the Pre I still have to select whether to text or email, etc. Not much different than selecting email or text to start with.

The combined calendars is the big thing for me, but honestly this is an app that could be written for the iphone or android.
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    The combined calendars is the big thing for me, but honestly this is an app that could be written for the iphone or android.
    thats true, but when you working on your calendar, a phone call came in, with iPhone, you have to close the calendar, while with Pre, you have everything undisturbed.
    now imagine that you want to IM with somebody at the same time want to pull some info from multiple websites. Or your IM buddy said he send you a email regarding some thing and you can see the email on exactly the same screen without switching app. Everything is continuously going on simultaneously.
    I don't really IM (except for some threaded SMS "conversations" on my Centro) so thats not a scenario I am familar with.
    I don't really IM (except for some threaded SMS "conversations" on my Centro) so thats not a scenario I am familar with.
    I understand, I do feel handson experience will help a lot of people to grasp the nature of the Pre. Heck, I thought it was just so-so eye candy, at most an iPhone like, when I first read the engadget liveblog.
    thats true, but when you working on your calendar, a phone call came in, with iPhone, you have to close the calendar, while with Pre, you have everything undisturbed.
    Again, on a 3.1 inch screen, I'm not sure if I care if I have to momentarily switch to the phone screen.
    I don't know why you guys want a physical keyboard so much. The iPhone looks a thousand times better than if it had a physical keyboard, and it allows the entire thing to be a screen.

With the pre you have to slide it up every time you want to type ANYTHING. I used to have an LG Chocolate and I can tell you that after a while that get's really annoying. It makes it too tall, and wears out the phone from sliding it open all the time. Oh and how are you supposed to enter text when you are viewing the browser sideways???
    I understand, I do feel handson experience will help a lot of people to grasp the nature of the Pre. Heck, I thought it was just so-so eye candy, at most an iPhone like, when I first read the engadget liveblog.

I would be carefull with just calling the iPhone eye-candy. The iPhone brings desktop strength applications to a device that has a extremely easy learning curve. Similar to the (now old) Palm OS in ease of use.
    Again, on a 3.1 inch screen, I'm not sure if I care if I have to momentarily switch to the phone screen.
    for one app, probably ok, but think if you need multitasking your work flow

pull info from web.
    send info from IM. email
    take calls
    according to IM communication, arrange your calendar for the day
    try a music from online store, and send opinion through IM/email, etc...

and now imagine, you can do everything simultaneously, they are organically cooperate with each other, just like what you do on your computer, rather than open this, close that, open this again, close that again...

I would be carefull with just calling the iPhone eye-candy. The iPhone brings desktop strength applications to a device that has a extremely easy learning curve. Similar to the (now old) Palm OS in ease of use.
    no, iPhone may have desktop level hardware, but an OS that does not allow multi-tasking is by no means desktop level.

web
    email,
    IM
    office
    music/video

Together, now, thats DESKTOP environment. which Pre would be.
    all these users of using Palm, and reading a ton of threads about multitaasking, i have to say i never missed it. maybe you don;t miss what you don;t have? Not sure, but hoping to get the pre and find out
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    all these users of using Palm, and reading a ton of threads about multitaasking, i have to say i never missed it. maybe you don;t miss what you don;t have? Not sure, but hoping to get the pre and find out
    Its very likely, maybe even because there is NO real multi-tasking smartphone in the market at all, so nobody really knows how it feel.

My suggestion?

just think about the comparison of a normal smartphone (iPhone, G1, Treo, WM) and a REAL computer...
    for one app, probably ok, but think if you need multitasking your work flow

pull info from web.
    send info from IM. email
    take calls
    according to IM communication, arrange your calendar for the day
    try a music from online store, and send opinion through IM/email, etc...

and now imagine, you can do everything simultaneously, they are organically cooperate with each other, just like what you do on your computer, rather than open this, close that, open this again, close that again...

no, iPhone may have desktop level hardware, but an OS that does not allow multi-tasking is by no means desktop level.

web
    email,
    IM
    office
    music/video

Together, now, thats DESKTOP environment. which Pre would be.
    the iPhone does do Multi-tasking in some apps. For example, I can listen to music while I browse the web. But your right, it doesn't have system wide multi-tasking. The Blackberry does though, and I still never really had the urge to watch a movie at the same time I was typing an email. If I did, I would pause the movie, type up my email, then switch back. Thats the way I do it on my computer too. I guess the point I'm making is, while the PRE may be able to do this, my brain cannot.
    I guess the point I'm making is, while the PRE may be able to do this, my brain cannot.
    we will see, I urge palm to handout units to gadget site and allow them to write more details.

My believe is that as long as a user can use a computer, he/she can feel the difference.
    Its very likely, maybe even because there is NO real multi-tasking smartphone in the market at all, so nobody really knows how it feel.

My suggestion?

just think about the comparison of a normal smartphone (iPhone, G1, Treo, WM) and a REAL computer...
    Windows Mobile and BackberryOS support full multitasking. I beleive Android does too. They may not do it as elegantly, but they do it.
    we will see, I urge palm to handout units to gadget site and allow them to write more details.
    I urge Palm to handout a test unit to me.
    Windows Mobile and BackberryOS support full multitasking. I beleive Android does too. They may not do it as elegantly, but they do it.
    I hope Im an expert on WM or BB.... but

we will see. handson, handson....

I urge Palm to handout a test unit to me.
    LOL, for such enthusiasm, palm should contact me right now, and send me a Pre, a Treo Pro, and a BB storm, so I can do some comparisons.

I truly believe this is revolutionary milestone that "you have to see it to believe it".
    I hope Im an expert on WM or BB.... but

we will see. handson, handson....

LOL, for such enthusiasm, palm should contact me right now, and send me a Pre, a Treo Pro, and a BB storm, so I can do some comparisons.

After weeks of hands on testing I can tell you that you most definitely do not want a Storm.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast