Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    I think the gist off this topic is that PPC is gaining ground. ...Mark my words. If Palm OS 5.0 and its devices doesn't bring PPC like features (faster processors, improved audio, good video playback,Hi-res disply standard, more screen space, etc.) of today. You will see the PPC platform start to gain huge ground on Palm. ...
    It's very possible, of course, but I look at it differently.

First of all, if there's so many PocketPCs being sold, how come I never see anyone using one? Okay, that's an exaggeration. I do see them from time to time, but not often. In fact, I see more Handsprings in use or hanging on someone's belt than PocketPCs.

Heck, I work within walking distance of a couple of Hewlitt-Packard plants, but I don't believe that I've seen more than five HP Pocket PCs in the last year.

There's a couple of possibilities here. Maybe PocketPC users are less likely to use public transport. Maybe they stay locked in briefcases. Or maybe the vast numbers of enterprise-related PocketPCs which are alleged to be flowing out of factories are sitting on vast numbers of shelves, unused. Remember that "enterprise" generally means "Bought by someone who won't use it, with someone else's money."

Also, I tend to think that revolutionary changes simply mean that the technology isn't mature. Take, for example, aircraft: in the late 1930s, British industry produced eight fighter prototypes in a single year; nowadays, it's not unusual for pilots to fly the same types of aircraft their fathers did.

Data technology will continue to advance, but it's starting to plateau. PC sales are down, in part because of the economy but also because there is much less of a compelling reason to buy new technology.
  2.    #42  
    Originally posted by John Nowak
    First of all, if there's so many PocketPCs being sold, how come I never see anyone using one? Okay, that's an exaggeration. I do see them from time to time, but not often. In fact, I see more Handsprings in use or hanging on someone's belt than PocketPCs.
    That's because the only situation where you will see someone carrying a PocketPC, is if the company that person works for purchased the device for him/her. Consumers will never adopt PocketPC because they are unfamiliar and too expensive. They have little at all brand recognition. As I said before, who has more consumer appeal: SONY or HP?

I only know 2 people who own a PPC. Everyone carries a Palm or Visor. In fact, several people I know have actually gone back to a Palm..from a PocketPC. I am starting to see more and more M505's popping up though.

There's a couple of possibilities here. Maybe PocketPC users are less likely to use public transport. Maybe they stay locked in briefcases. Or maybe the vast numbers of enterprise-related PocketPCs which are alleged to be flowing out of factories are sitting on vast numbers of shelves, unused. Remember that "enterprise" generally means "Bought by someone who won't use it, with someone else's money."
    PocketPC users tend to be tech workers, mostly male, who work in IT. As for how widely each deviced is used by its owner. There's no way of knowing that. Time will tell. But as I said before, unless the company these people work for buys a PPC for them, most likely they will not buy one on their own dime.

Data technology will continue to advance, but it's starting to plateau. PC sales are down, in part because of the economy but also because there is much less of a compelling reason to buy new technology.
    In my opinion, the reason why consumers aren't buying PCs is far more grim than that. I think people don't want PCs..PERIOD! Just as the dot com bubble burst, so did consumer gadget lust. For mainstream users, I think the PC failed to deliver the experience they desired, and many existing PCs go largely unused. My sister is good example. She has an old Gateway 300mhz Pentium II, which gets used less than once a week. She only checks her email twice a week. I'm not saying she is typical of most users, but I think there is a large purcentage of users out there like her. This is why I thumb my nose at these so called analysts who predict a major upturn in PC sales once XP is launched. XP will go in like a lion, and go out like a mouse. Xbox will garner more interest than XP. It's a sad testimony to the state of the PC industry when game consoles are more interesting than desktop PCs.
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn

Take what you can get, unless we're left with just one option, and it is substandard for my needs, I'll be smilin. -->
    You got that right, my goat-headed friend....
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    It's a sad testimony to the state of the PC industry when game consoles are more interesting than desktop PCs.
    Veering slightly off topic. There is no joy in PCs anymore because they are a pure commodity now. I am a huge gadget freak, but I have no desire whatsoever to upgrade my PII 450 Dell Precision Workstation any time soon. It runs Win2k and Office 2k. Where's the thrill in sitting a faster box under my desk and looking at the same old windows doing the same old thing?

Anybody remember the Golden Age of PCs? Let's recite them all together:
    • TI-99/4A
    • TRS-80
    • Commodore Vic/64/128
    • Atari 400/800/1200
    • Amiga 500, 2000 <moment of silence>
    Variety is the spice of life. That's why were all here writing about PDAs. Today its not what my PC can do, but what my handheld can do that gets my motor running.

Enjoy the next few years. Before you know it, handhelds will be commodities as well.

<cue violins>
  5.    #45  
    Originally posted by slotmachine
    There is no joy in PCs anymore because they are a pure commodity now.
    True, but I wish PC makers would take Apple's approach in making peronal computers less impersonal. If PCs looked as cool as they performed, perhaps consumers will take interest. If you keep selling them the same tired beige box, sooner or later they will lose interest.

I am a huge gadget freak, but I have no desire whatsoever to upgrade my PII 450 Dell Precision Workstation any time soon. It runs Win2k and Office 2k. Where's the thrill in sitting a faster box under my desk and looking at the same old windows doing the same old thing?
    No argument there. I have an old Pentium II 350 that I'm still using as my primary workstation. It continues to show its age, yet I can find no compelling products that draw me in. Just the same old beige box running the same old Windows. I have been running Windows XP RC1 for a month now, and I must say I'm not very impressed. Microsoft has done nothing more than produce a lame rip-off of Apple's aqua GUI (luna), with disgusting results. I'm actually tempted to switch to Macintosh rather than upgrade to a PC. Unfortunately the Mac platfrom is in a state of chaos right now. I'll hold off for as long as I can.

Enjoy the next few years. Before you know it, handhelds will be commodities as well.
    I loathe the day when that moment comes. Unlike PCs, Palm devices are sleek, sexy, and the definition of "cool". If they ever become relegated to the same status as TV remotes, I think I'll just hang myself.
    This has been great post for me, mainly from Foo Fighter. I currently use a Sony Clie PEG-N710C and a Diamond Mako, but always in the back of my head had been asking myself, why don't I use Pocket PC? I've used one for a week, the iPAQ, and found it to be too complicated and unuseful to me. I do not like the PDA apps, the OS is hard to use, not to say difficult though, it is a PDA, I want to be able to use it for what's its used for, I can figure everything out, but I don't want to in a PDA, that's what computers are for, not PDAs. And there is simply not enough software out there for Pocket PC. However, recently, I've been reconsidering the switch, but this post put that to rest. Sure, Palm is getting scared, but pocket pc isn't REALLY gaining much ground. I know one person with a Pocket PC. I know around 15 people with Palms. These are high school students too. Ranging from m100s, to visor deluxes, to visor platinums, to m505s to clies. I even know teachers with palms. If PPC could penetrate to wear I could see 15 PPC users, than they should be scared.

Don't worry PalmOS, you're doing okay.

Handhelds are the coolest things in the world, ever since I saw the Visor Deluxe in a PC Magazine Ad in December of 1999, I've been excessively obsessed with them. Let's hope they never lose their "style, hip, and cool" or I'll have to find a new hobby. However, I'm still trying to get more of my friends to get PDAs, and my girlfriend!
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    Even when they're not "cool," they'll still be useful.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.

Veering slightly off topic. There is no joy in PCs anymore because they are a pure commodity now. I am a huge gadget freak, but I have no desire whatsoever to upgrade my PII 450 Dell Precision Workstation any time soon. It runs Win2k and Office 2k. Where's the thrill in sitting a faster box under my desk and looking at the same old windows doing the same old thing?

Anybody remember the Golden Age of PCs? Let's recite them all together:
    • TI-99/4A
    • TRS-80
    • Commodore Vic/64/128
    • Atari 400/800/1200
    • Amiga 500, 2000 <moment of silence>
    Variety is the spice of life. That's why were all here writing about PDAs. Today its not what my PC can do, but what my handheld can do that gets my motor running.

<cue violins>

You forgot the Amiga 1000, the Atari ST 520 and the 1040.

-Yes I did own them all.-

BTW "Tunnels of Doom" for the TI-99/4A was a great RPG at the time.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    I'm a little TOO young to know about all those systems...although my brothers did have a Commodore, but I never got to play with it, we still have it...but can't get it to work... However, my favorite old school game would have to be Battle City on Nintendo, that game is awesome! I still emulate and play it on my Macintosh, hehe.

That's true, but they won't be as appealing to me when they're not "cool."
    nelson.hsieh
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD

That's true, but they won't be as appealing to me when they're not "cool."
    I bet by the time they are not (if they become not cool) you will be thinking about being productive instead of being cool.
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    BTW "Tunnels of Doom" for the TI-99/4A was a great RPG at the time.
    Ohhhhhh, don't get me started!! Talk about Da Bomb!!. Remember how... nevermind.

must..stay..on..to--pic....

That's because the only situation where you will see someone carrying a PocketPC, is if the company that person works for purchased the device for him/her.
    And the never take them home with them. Gotcha.
  13.    #53  
    Originally posted by John Nowak
    And the never take them home with them. Gotcha.
    I mean they won't buy one themselves with their own money. Mainly because they don't want one.
  14.    #54  
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    Even when they're not "cool," they'll still be useful.
    Cool or not, I keep using them until they are no longer useful or suit my needs. Then I move onto one that does.
    Originally posted by yardie
    I bet by the time they are not (if they become not cool) you will be thinking about being productive instead of being cool.
    True, but I don't want to look ghetto or "nerdish" while I'm being productive with my PDA. I want both, look cool AND be productive. As long as it keeps the girls coming saying "Oh! What's that!?!" Then I'll love PDAs, but that's not the only reason I use them for. Saved my *** plenty of times in school, and they are GREAT productivity tools. They'll be cool until I become as old as you guys, haha, just kidding! I won't care to be "cool" then...least not for the girls...

The only time I see my friend USING or CARRYING his pocket pc is when he wants to show it off, the OS is so useless to him, he doesn't use it as a PDA (date book, phone book, etc) He's just a rich kid wanting to show off the newest technology avaliable. haha. As for PDA function and use for him, the iPAQ shows no value. It does get the crowds though...but not the productivity...
    nelson.hsieh
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD
    As long as it keeps the girls coming saying "Oh! What's that!?!" Then I'll love PDAs, but that's not the only reason I use them for.
    Can I get the zip code where you're finding chics that dig PDAs? And a the # for a local realtor?
    That's because the only situation where you will see someone carrying a PocketPC, is if the company that person works for purchased the device for him/her.
    Here's a real-life PPC testimonial. I am friends with a manager at Hewlett Packard. Let's call him Joe. Joe is in a position to get anything he wants technology-wise from HP. One day earlier this year, lets say Feb. 1 (PPC-day), Joe showed me his brand new, maxed-out Jomada. It had all the options, including a 128 MB compact flash card.

PPC-day to PPC-day + 21:
    Joe took it to church, Joe took it to parties. Joe loaded it down with pictures from a wedding he helped out with. It was always on him, though he was having trouble getting used to the handwriting recognition (H-R).

PPC-day + 21 to PPC-day + 42:
    The initial novelty was wearing off. Joe had pretty much given up on the H-R and retreated to the virtual keyboard. He was using it at work, and to maintain a spreadsheet for a house his in-laws were buliding. I asked him once wear it was, he said it was in his briefcase, in the car.

PPC-day + 42 to ????
    I asked him about and he said that he was going to exchange it for a clamshell-style Jomada with a keyboard and a built-in modem. He was using it mostly at work, and had given up on the idea of carrying a PPC with him all the time.

There you go. Bells. Whistles. Briefcase.
  18.    #58  
    There you go. Bells. Whistles. Briefcase.
    Exactly. No matter what bells and whistles a device may have, unless it can be easily worn or carried, it will lose its utility over time. That was one of the biggest reasons why I went back to a Palm; wearability. The M505 I use now may not have the most extravagant features, but it is impressively practical. It transparently slips into my pocket without notice. With just about all of the PocketPC devices I've used, all of them ended up being worn as an ornament on my belt in some leather case/pouch. Eventually I lost interest in looking like a TV repairman with this gadget hanging off the side of my belt. In the end, I kept asking myself.."Is my PocketPC a tool, or am I a tool for my PocketPC?"

I always find it rather ironic that a PocketPC doesn't really fit in my pocket.
    The M505 I use now may not have the most extravagant features, but it is impressively practical.
    Yep. Not only is it practical, but the gadget freak in me admires the technical feat of packing those features into that tiny chassis.
    It transparently slips into my pocket without notice.
    I thought of the term "functional transparency" back in 98 when I first purchased a Palm Pilot Pro. Wish I had trademarked it.
    Eventually I lost interest in looking like a TV repairman with this gadget hanging off the side of my belt. In the end, I kept asking myself.."Is my PocketPC a tool, or am I a tool for my PocketPC?"
    Man that is just too f*****g funny!! A TV repairman, or maybe plumber. Maybe PPC really stands for Plumber's Pelvis Crack....
    I know a guy that wears a cel phone, a Prism, a pager, and a little wallet with a couple of SpringBoards on his belt.

We call him Batman.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast