1.    #1  
    Seriously..

I believe if memory serves me right, last year included a treo 680 or something like that. The Centro never made it in as of yet. How weird.

What makes the Round Robin fun is that different camps review the other's. This year, with the addition of Android, that would make Centro, G1, iphone, HTC touch pro, and a BB.

But nope..we get the treo pro, a WM device which is a bit redundant to read about considering we got the Fuze or whatever you want to call the HTC touch pro. If getting the two main WM phones in was truly desired, then couple them up as one entry. The iphone blogger seemed to do this in his conclusion anyway.

In addition, i consider the treocentral point of view to be that of someone who owns a Palm OS phone, not a WM phone. And that's the point of view i'd like to read about. As well to see how the others feel that palm OS still compares to their chosen device.

I know some would say palm simply didn't make the cut, but IMO, a Centro belongs in a round robin discussion (heck, not one sprint phone was in it). But hopefully Nova makes the cut next year if Palm can deliver.
    While it would have been nice to see a Palm device in the Round Robin...there was nothing new with the Centro - it's basically the same Treo (in a smaller package) that they've used before.

As to including a Sprint device...one of the beautiful parts of doing the RR is that they can just send the device off to each other and keep their sim so that while using someone else's phone, you get your own calls, etc. To do that with a CDMA device, you'd have to make sure everyone was using Sprint (or Verizon) so that you could just do an ESN swap. You can't do that between GSM and CDMA carriers.
    Hi cardfan! That's a very good question. Last year we went with the Treo 680. It was a tough decision not to go with the Centro in this year's Round Robin. We thought it over and figured that if we went with the Centro, there wouldn't be much to talk about except for form factor since the operating system on both devices are almost identical. It really wouldn't have made for much of a comparison.

I'm pretty much repeating what Dieter said in his Treo Pro video. If you haven't watched it, you should head over there and give it a look.

I wish that the Centro had been more different and we could have used it in the Round Robin, especially since the Centro is my everyday smartphone. I use the Treo Pro, but not half as much as I use my Centro. I guess it's just a Windows Mobile thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    While it would have been nice to see a Palm device in the Round Robin...there was nothing new with the Centro - it's basically the same Treo (in a smaller package) that they've used before.

As to including a Sprint device...one of the beautiful parts of doing the RR is that they can just send the device off to each other and keep their sim so that while using someone else's phone, you get your own calls, etc. To do that with a CDMA device, you'd have to make sure everyone was using Sprint (or Verizon) so that you could just do an ESN swap. You can't do that between GSM and CDMA carriers.

Bingo! Thanks Alli! I just saw that you'd pretty much answered the question right before I responded.

We had to use one SIM card for the T-Mobile G1 and keep passing it around. And even though we could use our own SIM card in the Bold, we had to call AT&T and change our data plan in order to be able to get email on the Bold. That was a slight headache but was well worth the trouble in the end. I love the Bold!
  5.    #5  
    Well, i'd argue not much has changed in the WM OS either since last year..well except for a different form factor.

It's safe to say using that logic, that unless apple really gets new features in, we won't see the iphone in next year's battle? Or unless WM 7 comes out, no WM phones?

Doesn't AT&T have a Centro you can put a SIM into? Although i'd hate that it wouldn't be 3g. I do see the problems in using a sprint phone in these round robins though.

I agree though. You're pretty much talking about a similar device, but its the perspective of someone coming from the G1, or Iphone, etc, that is the best thing of the Round Robin. No G1 vs Centro perspective. No centro vs anything perspective.
    Who knows...maybe by next year we'll have a new Palm os, a new WM os, multiple Android devices from which to choose - along with plenty of 3rd party apps - and an iPhone that can <cough> copy/paste and <cough> support A2DP.
    Did any of the reviewers make any comments or comparisons to a centro/POS treo? I didn't see any which is really frustrating for me. I'm looking to switch but the round robins really didn't help in any manner that a plain review couldn't have done.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Yeah I think that the Centro should really have a spot on the round robin.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com