Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    I doubt it... but I can't help but hope that Apple announces some new and exciting upgrade/addition to the iPhone in a couple weeks at Macworld. =) Even if it was just cut-and-paste and push-notifications finally being enabled...
    Of all the grips Jennifer mentioned in her review, the most irksome must be cut-and-paste. It is not just that the iPhone doesn't have this nearly universal function but that Apple does not talk about it. Evidently, cut/paste/undo is a major challenge to implement within the iPhone's streamlined, multi-touch interface. I'm sure Apple would have fixed it if the iPhone didn't sell so well, but people seem to like the interface so much that they live with this limitation.
    Pre-what?
    I sold my iPhone 3g on Ebay last month. I've owned both the 3g and the original iPhone. They are both awesome devices. I am currently going through withdrawal right now, my 3g has been gone for about 8 weeks. I am going to see what the new Palm looks like, but if it isn't super sweet, I'm back on the 3g bandwagon.

Great review BTW, very honest, and I appreciate that.
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
  4.    #24  
    Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

Funny that I complained about the A2DP when I've never even used a set of stereo Bluetooth headphones. It's just that I can't believe that Apple of all companies, hasn't put in support for that yet. I'm not much of a Bluetooth headset person but I know that a lot of people are.

I hope that all of you had a nice holiday with your family and friends and got some time off from work!

I'll be back home with the Treo Pro next! Well, I don't know if I can actually call it "home" since I use my Centro most of the time. But it's my home device in the Round Robin anyway.

I hope y'all got a new smartphone or some smartphone goodies for Christmas!
  5. JwY
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo-Treo View Post
    Of all the grips Jennifer mentioned in her review, the most irksome must be cut-and-paste. It is not just that the iPhone doesn't have this nearly universal function but that Apple does not talk about it. Evidently, cut/paste/undo is a major challenge to implement within the iPhone's streamlined, multi-touch interface. I'm sure Apple would have fixed it if the iPhone didn't sell so well, but people seem to like the interface so much that they live with this limitation.
    I thought they said it was more of a priority issue than implementation.
    Quote Originally Posted by JwY View Post
    I thought they said it was more of a priority issue than implementation.
    My last sentence points to the priority. Stated another way, Apple has little incentive to add the feature so long as people keep buying the device. The increased competition of Android and perhaps Nova should force their hand.
    Pre-what?
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaluver View Post
    Funny that I complained about the A2DP when I've never even used a set of stereo Bluetooth headphones. It's just that I can't believe that Apple of all companies, hasn't put in support for that yet. I'm not much of a Bluetooth headset person but I know that a lot of people are.
    Evidently there are not enough Bluetooth headset people to make Apple add the feature. OS X 10.5 has native support for A2DP and I can't find any technical reason it would be difficult to implement in iPhone's OS. Speculation is that profit and A2DP limitations may be the reasons. Apple makes money on licensing of its proprietary docking connectors. If the iPhone and iPod Touch supported A2DP, many accessory manufacturers might simply drop the Apple connector and rely on Bluetooth to access stereo systems, speakers and headphones. Also, A2DP has poor audio quality due to limited bandwidth and bluetooth affects battery life, so it is a no-win situation for Apple.
    Pre-what?
    Great review! I just want to reiterate what others have said, which is that I cannot BELIEVE that these basic 101 no-brainer functions like cut and paste and A2DP support continue to be left off the iphone. So frustrating! But it still sells like hotcakes, so clearly these are not deal-breaker issues for many people. I wish it were, though, so Apple would be forced to get it together...
    Made a few calls with it in the store yesterday to my voicemail and was surprised at how clear it was.
    Given that point & drag on the iPhone is a scrolling gesture, Apple probably decided that point & drag to select text as well would be too hard, hence the lack of copy & paste.
    Hey, what happened to this thread?
    someone had the idea for highlighting by dragging the finger while holding a hard button like the volume up which seemes feasible to me, and potentially once highlighted volume down to copy or like trillian it auto copies to clipboard, then maybe tap and hold volume up to paste..or somethin
    Quote Originally Posted by kyeoh View Post
    Hey, what happened to this thread?
    We're all just throwing our names into a virtual jar for the prize drawing. Any resemblance between this and actual content is purely accidental.
    Pre-what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo-Treo View Post
    We're all just throwing our names into a virtual jar for the prize drawing. Any resemblance between this and actual content is purely accidental.
    Who's doing that?
    I recently found out that hard of hearing folks can use WebCapTel on the iPhone 3G. (communication assistant types what the other person is saying, and you can read it on the web browser) It requires the ability to use data and voice at the same time, and ajax in the web browser. Apparently so far iPhone is the only one that can do that, although there is talk that the BB Bold should be able to do it (but hasn't been successful yet). Very tempting... I'll have to see what Palm comes out with, and where the technology goes in the next year, since I'm locked in a Sprint contract for one more year anyway. But this may become the ultimate "must have" feature for me.
    Isn't there some teletext, or teleprompt, or teletype, or something like that, service that does that without the voice part?
    Yes, there is a relay service where I type in, they speak for me, etc. It's even available though AIM (which I've used on the Centro for some calls) and some other ip sources. But since I can speak fine, just can't hear well on the phone, why should I have to type everything in? I'm hoping to see if the Pre can do this. From the demo and specs I read, it appears it can, but of course until I can get my hands on one, or talk to folks at Palm and/or Sprint, I won't know for sure.
    Sounds expensive if there's constant human interaction at an operator level. Unless it's outsourced to India.
    This is getting way off subject, but relay services are paid for out of everyone's phone bills, it's one of the surcharges (at least on the land-lines, not sure about mobile). There are various forms of services, tty to voice, ip to voice, etc. The service I'm speaking of (where just the other person's voice is captioned) comes out of Wisconsin, not India. If you want more information, I think it should be taken off this topic, you can PM me.
    <closed>
    Just call me Berd.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12