Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo-Treo View Post
    Concern for others is one sign of a civilized culture. Fifty countries (including parts of India) and 6 U.S. states have strong bans on cell phone use while driving and many more are planning legislation. In at least 29 states crash investigators routinely check cell phone records. The point is that the iPhone should not be knocked for not enabling something that is illegal in many places and is rude everywhere.
    if u read again, i said when i really have to make a call (whether ans it in emergency or have to call in emergency). i didnt ask that apple should enable/disable the s2u option. TO ME it is just annoying to slide it precisely till the end.its not just annoying while driving but while walking too..btw thanks for update, but it's total 52 countries.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-ulk View Post
    TO ME it is just annoying to slide it precisely till the end.its not just annoying while driving but while walking too...
    Funny you should mention walking. I am seeing more pedestrians walk into things because they are wrapped up in a phone call. More pedestrian-vehicle crashes at crossings are being traced to cell phone distraction by the pedestrian, too. Overall, upwards of 30% of all crashes are estimated to involve cell phones. How ironic would it be to cause a crash while making an emergency call? Better to just pull over first.

Anyway, enough of this OT discussion. The iPhone is a great device and I'd get one in an instant if it weren't for AT&T.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Funny you should mention walking. I am seeing more pedestrians walk into things because they are wrapped up in a phone call. More pedestrian-vehicle crashes at crossings are being traced to cell phone distraction by the pedestrian, too. Overall, upwards of 30% of all crashes are estimated to involve cell phones. How ironic would it be to cause a crash while making an emergency call? Better to just pull over first.

Anyway, enough of this OT discussion. The iPhone is a great device and I'd get one in an instant if it weren't for AT&T.
    i didn't say i hit someone or almost hit someone while talking & driving or even walking!! but thx for the advice and stats.
    yes, lets stick to the topic.
    Last edited by T-ulk; 12/21/2008 at 07:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I could never personally use the iPhone as my primary device. However, I could possibly see an iPod Touch replacing my secondary device sometime in the future. (Currently a Nokia n800.)

That being said, the video was a good overview, though I noticed you referred to it as the iPhone Touch a few times when comparing to it, as opposed to the iPod Touch.

I'm sure everyone knows what you meant though.
    I haven't carried 2 devices since the Kyocera 6035.
    Just call me Berd.
    meh...meh
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I haven't carried 2 devices since the Kyocera 6035.
    I've got a smartphone, iPod and a camera. None of the current smartphones can replace all 3 especially the camera.
    I also still depend on 3 separate devices (camera, smartphone, ipod), because I want the highest quality device possible in each area, not to mention that using just one device for all things drains the battery too quickly! That iphone sure is pretty, though...
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    The lack of a physical keyboard still holds me back, no matter how nice the thing is otherwise.
    I've got a smartphone, iPod and a camera. None of the current smartphones can replace all 3 especially the camera.
    Yea the Camera is one my phone can't replace.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Good for the iPhone. Civilized places ban phone use while driving.

Consumer Reports rated the iPhone very good for talking voice quality but only fair for listening voice quality. The Centro was good for both. Is that the way it seems to you, Jennifer?
    Let's see... good for talking, bad for listening? Does't that mean, two people, both on iPhone, can talk a lot but neither one listen? So how they know talking is good?
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    To be fair, as with most other big companies with millions of people serve you will notice always a significan amount of complains but we can't count the millions who are satified because they aren't noisy and good things are never good news.

When the first iPhones came out, we hear complains for every reason imaginable but not just in USA but all around the world. But At&t is not around the world.

Apple, a company with great service, came promply with some updates, now we don't hear so many complans. Why? some fixes and iPhone users now are more familiar with the phone.

As you already figure out, I became AT&T client because a few year ago I was tired of a good customer service company with bad coverage service. With At&T I have great customer service they go the extra mile to serve me, plus an excellente coverage with almost zero drop calls.

So, I think the IPhone is a fabulous entertaining device, but falls short as a phone and productivity device. I would love to have a phone, any phone with the iPhone interface.

Jennifer video just did that, the entertaining part, I really enjoy that part on the iPhone, but I do need a second (rather first) device to DO THINGS.
    I have both the 800W and an iPhone. I now have my iPhone set up where I can "DO THINGS". In fact, I can do, for the most part, just as much as I could with any other device. The iPhone now syncs all Exchange components using iMExchange instead of just email, calendar and contacts. I use the built in Cisco VPN with RDP to access my servers back in my office and it actually works better than any Palm or WinMobile device due to the ability to pan and zoom. Viewing attachments is much better than Palm or Winmobile, again due to the pan and zoom. I can carry key documents with me using another utility that allows me to move documents from my desktop. I can't edit the documents which does such. But, for the most part, I rarely edited documents anyway.

I don't like the lack of cut, copy, and paste. That should be there.
    There are few other things I don't like. But, that's true with any of my devices.

I'm not 100% positive that I am keeping the iPhone. But, it is certainly much better than I thought it would be.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguino1 View Post
    Let's see... good for talking, bad for listening? Does't that mean, two people, both on iPhone, can talk a lot but neither one listen? So how they know talking is good?
    Yes, silly, if everyone had an iPhone then they would all sound just fair. But if, say, Jennifer listens on her Centro to someone talking on an iPhone they should sound good, whereas if she listens on her iPhone to someone talking on a Centro they should sound only fair, other things being equal.

Quote Originally Posted by pinguino1 View Post
    As you already figure out, I became AT&T client because a few year ago I was tired of a good customer service company with bad coverage service. With At&T I have great customer service they go the extra mile to serve me, plus an excellente coverage with almost zero drop calls.
    I have no experience with AT&T or the iPhone because they do not serve my area. I understand that their plans are relatively expensive. The consistent winners for customer satisfaction in the Consumer Report survey were Alltel and Verizon. AT&T is down there just above Sprint which consistently brings up the rear.
    I thought Verizon Plans were more expensive than Att.
    I'm pretty sure the data plans are.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    why 2 threads for iphone 3g? i guess just 2 reviews!
  16.    #36  
    Hope your illness passes quickly, Jennifer. I got a sore throat 2 weeks ago and am just now getting over the cold. Good thing, too, because the snow is falling in buckets today--no need for an iPhone snow scene!--and I need to shovel.
    Thanks GeoTreo! I hope you got completely over your illness! I thought I was over that sore throat but now it's back and worse, plus I have a head cold. Oh well, it just needs to run its course and I'll be good to go again!

We still haven't gotten any snow down here in my neck of the woods. I hope you're not still having to shovel the snow where you live!

Consumer Reports rated the iPhone very good for talking voice quality but only fair for listening voice quality. The Centro was good for both. Is that the way it seems to you, Jennifer?
    I've actually found the iPhone's listening voice quality pretty good so far. I haven't got to use my Centro since the Round Robin started. I should have at least used it to do a comparison for the voice quality. My bad!
  17.    #37  
    Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

I'm sorry for not posting in awhile! I got behind on my contest threads due to the holiday. I hope you all had a great holiday with your family and friends and got some time off from work!

I found that I still suck at typing on the iPhone's virtual keyboard. I've seen lots of people use both their thumbs to type, but I just can't do that, even though I have small hands and fingers. I always end up typing with my right index finger, and even then, make lots of mistakes. I have no problem at all texting on my Centro and Treo Pro though.

I'm sure that the iPhone won't replace my Centro as my "phone-first" device. I mainly use the iPhone as my entertainment device. It is superb in that area.

And like some of you mentioned that none of your smartphones would replace your camera, I totally feel the same way. The iPhone 3G takes pretty decent photos but I have a real digital camera that is 100 times better. All my smartphones have good enough cameras for those quick, on-the-go shots though, and most of those shots are decent enough to be emailed to people. Nothing that I'd ever want to print out or frame though of course.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12