View Poll Results: Should Palm keep the graphitti input method?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Graphitti. Its kinda fun.

33 45.21%
  • Handwriting recognition. If a PPC can do it why can't a Palm.

4 5.48%
  • Having both Handwriting and graphitti would work for me.

25 34.25%
  • Handwriting recognition!!! Kill the graphitti area and gimme more screen realeaste!!!

11 15.07%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With the coming of ARM based Palms. Real Processing power is about to be put in the hands of Palm and compatible users hands. This should allow the use of true handwriting recognition. But will and should Palm put it in?
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    I have to stop myself from writing a backwards 3 for an e, and I can't hardly make an uppercase H any more.

My handwriting IS graffiti
    Originally posted by reeseman
    My handwriting IS graffiti
    me too! People can't read what I write anymore!
    Obviously, for backwords compatibility, any handwriting software on the Palm should recognize grafitti. Other than that, they should certainly go with hadwriting recognition...it is the better way.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Oooooooooh mis-vote! I meant handwriting and graphitti!

I don't even know what the handwriting thing is, but it sounds good, and I figure the more the merryer!
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    Let me qualify my statements be saying that I have not used handwriting recognition software (HRS) . But I have watched a friend of mine get frustrated with the Jomada's HRS, and retreat to the keyboard interface.

The thing that you cannot deny about Grafiti is that an upside-down "V" ALWAYS translates to an "A". With HRS, there's the "teaching phase" and other fuzzy factors to consider.

Once you've learned Grafitti, you've learned it. I can write as fast in Grafitti as I can legibly write on paper.
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    When first got a palm, I have got to say that the single most impressive thing about it is graffiti. Having researched for quite a while I thought that 'learning a new way to write' would be v. tricky. But the graffiti and the UI in general was so intuitive that I had picked it up in no time. OK so maybe we're all techno geeks here and that would be expected of us, but my girlfriend? my dad? they picked it up real easy too and they're definately not 'power users'.
    KEEP IT!
    ps it also looks really cool when you show the uninitiated how to write with them!
    Alan Millar
    Originally posted by almillar
    When first got a palm, I have got to say that the single most impressive thing about it is graffiti. Having researched for quite a while I thought that 'learning a new way to write' would be v. tricky. But the graffiti and the UI in general was so intuitive that I had picked it up in no time. OK so maybe we're all techno geeks here and that would be expected of us, but my girlfriend? my dad? they picked it up real easy too and they're definately not 'power users'.
    KEEP IT!
    ps it also looks really cool when you show the uninitiated how to write with them!
    Grafitti isn't the first time new ways to write have been thought up. My Mum's first comment when I showed her my VDX was that it was similar in concept to shorthand.

Kev.
    What I want to see as standard equipment on all PalmOS 5 devices is FitalyStamp, with a standard number pad like TapPad.
    "Life is what you experience between racing games"
    Galley
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I acquired a Compaq iPaq 3650, and periodically attempt to use it more than listening to tunes or watching a movie I never really wanted to see in the first place. I've been trying for a week now while my wife is borrowing my Prism. The thing just does not integrate into my life as well or as intuitively as the Palm/Visor.

One of the things that had intrigued me about a Pocket PC was Transcriber, the HWR software. It's like the joke about the talking dog. It's pretty amazing that it can do some whole script words so well, but it still is more start and stop and slower than graffitti. And far more mistakes. The handwriting software gives you 3 or 4 choices of the way you most often write a letter in order to speed regocnition time. But sorry, many of my letters just don't look like any of the choices - and I've got a pretty good simple handwriting. Then when you get frustrated it's two steps to call up then chose either the keyboard or character recognition form. Yeah, maybe I'm used to graffitti by now, but even in character recognition (similar to grafitti), the Pocket PC gestures for a lot of letters are really hard to remember,whereas graffitti was consistent all the way thru and thus easy to learn.

Unless you're a diehard Microsoft supporter whose office is tied into Word, Excel and Outlook and feel the need to show off your cool $600 pda that (after you add a sleeve and at least 128 megs of extra memory for another $150, plays music and movies, believe me, you don't want to have to hassel with handwriting recognition.
    -Michael-
    One of the cool things about the Palm OS is that we DO have a lot of input options- Fitaly Stamp, a whole slew of keyboards, JOT, and more that can be pretty easily added to the device- this lets you tailor the device to your unique techniques and needs.

(I DO wish we could order the devices with your choice of input system pre-loaded, or that there was some way to help figure out the best system for you without having to buy a bunch of things to try and possibly discard.)

I would love to see true handwriting recognition added to the options list- but not instead of Graffiti. Graffiti is a small, pretty good program and any true recognition program will eat up a lot more resources.

As a personal opinion, however, I think that JOT and Graffiti with their simplified strokes are easier than real handwriting recognition would be.

If pure speed is the goal, why not Morse Code input? It could be entered through the actual buttons or by tapping on-screen spots, or other ways. People with speech disabilities coupled with physical limitations sometimes use Morse Code input to enter data in their devices and studies have shown that they can approach the speed of a good touch typist! Granted, the learning curve for Morse is a b*&^%, but there are also speed training programs available for it!

You know- I started that above comment tongue-in-cheek, but as I think about it... it could work! Combine Morse Code input with a word prediction program (that tries to guess the word you are working on, and guesses what is coming next based on your past patterns) and you could have a killer app! It would allow you to enter data one-handed in almost any setting- a passenger in a car on a bumpy road could still enter data pretty accurately. A few special codes for Palm-based commands and you could have this thing licked!
    Originally posted by homer
    Obviously, for backwords compatibility, any handwriting software on the Palm should recognize grafitti. Other than that, they should certainly go with hadwriting recognition...it is the better way.
    Need we all be reminded of the problems with handwriting recognition?

http://www.doonesbury.ucomics.com/st...ex19930824.htm
    and who can forget
    http://www.doonesbury.ucomics.com/st...ex19930827.htm ?

In all seriousness, handwriting recognition is, in a word, pointless. The more complex a system (and I'm not just talking about computers here) gets, the more prone to failures and problems it becomes. Grafitti is unique, IMHO, because it limits both the complexity of the characters allowing them to be recognized faster, as well as looking, for the most part, like english letters. (T, F, Q, and K being notable exceptions).

When you switch to raw handwriting recognition, you run into the problem of different writing styles, different letter forms, etc. Where as I may write the letter "t" by first drawing a vertical line down and then crossing it, it is believable that some people may do the opposite. This makes the software have to recognize the characters "optically" rather than by the pen-strokes, thier direction and duration. And frankly I'd rather see that CPU time put into running my program rather than decrypting my handwriting.

But enough jammering.
    "Hey! Check out these cresent-fresh skulls in my salad!"- Sifl & Olly
    Of course it's also important to remember that Grafitti was originally developed as a replacement for a handwriting recognition system.

Apple put a lot of work into the Newton's recognition system but it just didn't work well enough for most people. As a result lots of people turned to Grafitti instead.

So it'd really be a backward step to go from Grafitti to handwriting recognition

Kev.
    The digital world doesn't always have to be a perfect surrogate of the analog world.

Graphitti is close enough to the real thing, and escapes the headaches of a HRS. I wonder if anyone out there has "trained" their HRS-capable pda to register the right characters 100%, or even 90% of the time.
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by slotmachine
    The digital world doesn't always have to be a perfect surrogate of the analog world.

Graphitti is close enough to the real thing, and escapes the headaches of a HRS. I wonder if anyone out there has "trained" their HRS-capable pda to register the right characters 100%, or even 90% of the time.
    That's a good point. I am sure that there will never be 100 percent recognition. especially with those doctors out there . But I am sure they can be good enough. Couldn't they also add a feature where you can train it to recognize the nuances in your own handwriting?
    -Mikedemo
    Graffiti. Two 'f's, one 't'. That's been irritating the hell out of me.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    irritating the hell out of me.
    With that avatar, shouldn't you have said heck?!?!?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by MarkEagle

With that avatar, shouldn't you have said heck?!?!?
    Wow Mark is still alive? I haven't seen a post from you in ages.
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by mikedemo

Wow Mark is still alive? I haven't seen a post from you in ages.
    He's been "resurrected...."
  20.    #20  
    Originally posted by slotmachine

He's been "resurrected...."
    Well do we thank **** for that?
    -Mikedemo
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast