View Poll Results: Should Palm keep the graphitti input method?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Graphitti. Its kinda fun.

33 45.21%
  • Handwriting recognition. If a PPC can do it why can't a Palm.

4 5.48%
  • Having both Handwriting and graphitti would work for me.

25 34.25%
  • Handwriting recognition!!! Kill the graphitti area and gimme more screen realeaste!!!

11 15.07%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Originally posted by slotmachine
    ROTFL!!!!

Be sure to rescue Princess Mako, but don't get too cozy. She is your seeeester....
    I've already rescued the Princess!!! Me and her have gotten to know each other pretty well...I like her keyboard a lot...but her software side needs some work...Her and Clie Solo have gotten to know each other quite well...hehe...
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
  2.    #42  
    Don't you wish you could input information via thought? How about a small pad on the side of you temple and a thin wire that goes into the PDA and your brainwaves would run the device.

Ok ok so I moving to far ahead. But I think it could be done. wasn't there a remote control toy car that was controlled by muscle impulses through a device wrapped around the users arm? It told it to go forward, turn, backwards.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    Don't you wish you could input information via thought? How about a small pad on the side of you temple and a thin wire that goes into the PDA and your brainwaves would run the device.
    I don't want ANYTHING having wired access to my cranium.

Brrrr!!!!Clippy the Paperclip suddenly appearing in my brain, saying "Can I help you purchase Microsoft stock with your life savings?" Shoot me now.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Originally posted by bookrats
    Clippy the Paperclip suddenly appearing in my brain, saying "Can I help you purchase Microsoft stock with your life savings?" Shoot me now.
    LOL!! Gee, Jeff, you could switch to Hoverbot or The Dot!
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    Don't you wish you could input information via thought? [...]
    If one is like most people, there would be loads of extraneous information inputted into everything. "I've got to go to the doctor's...hey get a load of that...hmmm I'd like some ice cream right about now...did I turn off the stove before I left the house this morning...what the hell was I inputting into my Palm...oh yeah...doctor's appointment on the 20th...boy I remember my 20th birthday like it was yesterday...."
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  6. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    The final step is just letting you do graffitti wherever w/out having to pop up the area.
    This is more trouble than it's worth, because then the system would have to distinguish between attempts to write graffiti letters and attempts to manipulate screen elements (tap on a text entry area or button, open a drop-down list, select an item, etc.) How would your palm tell if your tap-and-drag-right is a space character or an attempt to highlight a word/sentence? Or even worse, how do you differentiate between a period character and tapping/double-tapping on a button or drop-down list?
    Last edited by Rob; 08/27/2001 at 02:42 PM.
    Or even worse, how do you differentiate between a period character and tapping/double-tapping on a button or drop-down list?
    It would obviously depend on whether or not you were typing in a text area or tapping on a button.

This is basically how the Newton worked.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer

It would obviously depend on whether or not you were typing in a text area or tapping on a button.

This is basically how the Newton worked.
    Sounds like the problem there would be, is the text area you're writing Graffiti to big enough to contain your Graffiti strokes?

There are a lot of apps with small text areas mixed in with buttons and other items. Constraining the Graffiti write area to the size of the text area would be difficult in those situations.

I'm not saying that an assigned "writing space" system, like the Palm OS's, is perfect either; but overall, I find it simpler and easier to learn -- and certainly easier to remember. I don't even think about "where to write" when I enter Graffiti these days (and my brain automatically transfers letters into Graffiti strokes. I've been absorbed. )
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  9. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    For those who think it's a good idea to write directly on the screen, try this hack:

http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...fm?prodID=1415

It allows you to write graffiti directly on the screen, but forces you to hold the stylus down for a bit if you want the Palm to process the input 'normally' (e.g. to select some text). Try it out and see if you think the benefit is worth the inconvenience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123