1.    #1  
    1. Is the OS fash upgradeable on the Clie models?

2. Am I missing something, or is basically the only difference between the 710C model and the 610C model that the 610C has higher screen resolution and the 710C has built-in MP3?
    BertBert
    Mark 12:28-31
    1. Yes, once Sony releases the update

2. The main difference between the 610 and the 710 is the MP3 player capability. Both models have the high res screens. The 610 comes in 2 colors (Silver/Chrome and Violet). The 710 includes an 8MB Memory stick, whereas the 610 does not (if I recall correctly).
    Sven

If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.
    Both the 610 and the 710 have 320x320 displays.

The only difference is that the 610 starts out with Palm OS 4.0 which allows it to support 16bit color and it doesn't have a built-in mp3 player.

The 710 starts with Palm OS 3.5 which only supports 8 bit color. The 710 can display 16 bit color and will as soon as the Palm OS 4.0 Falsh update is released by SONY.

I have the 710c and I recommend it if you are going to listen to a lot of music.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    Both the 610 and the 710 have 320x320 displays.

The only difference is that the 610 starts out with Palm OS 4.0 which allows it to support 16bit color and it doesn't have a built-in mp3 player.

The 710 starts with Palm OS 3.5 which only supports 8 bit color. The 710 can display 16 bit color and will as soon as the Palm OS 4.0 Falsh update is released by SONY.

I have the 710c and I recommend it if you are going to listen to a lot of music.
    I am a little ignorant when it comes to hardware issues like this, so I hope you'll pardon the question I am about to ask if it is too stupid.

The specs at the Sony web site say that the 610 can display 65K colors and the 710 can display 256 colors. That's the difference between 8-bit and 16-bit color, right? (2^8=256, 2^16=65536)? So in other words, once Sony has come out with the OS 4.0 upgrade, the displays on the two Clie models will be completely identical? The thing that's been keeping the 610C on top of the 710C in my mind is the "better" display on the 610C -- but if it's all a matter of OS version then the 710 is (or will soon be) just as good.

If so, then basically you'd be paying $100 more for an MP3 player and an 8 MB memory stick. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Or phrased differently, if you don't use MP3's then you can save yourself $100. Seems good either way. I like the Clie design and the Sony brand, plus I have $150 in gift cards at Circuit City to burn and they sell tons of Sony products. That takes a considerable amount of the edge off the $500 price tag of the 710C. Hmm....
    BertBert
    If the Handspring new models do not have a nice color screen like the Clie then I will be buying a 710 or 610.

Question 1: Do they have a good loud speaker?

2: Where does the sound come from when playing movies? The speaker or the headphone jack (710)?

3: Do they both come with an included 8mb memory stick?

4: Where is the cheapest place to buy one?

Thanks
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by olendorf

2: Where does the sound come from when playing movies? The speaker or the headphone jack (710)?
    I don't think the Clie has a speaker at all. So I guess that leaves the headphone jack.

Nope -- only the 710 comes with the memory stick. I got a laugh out of the technical comparisons at the Sony website -- they proudly claim that the 710 has 16 MB of memory, but of course that's 8 MB onboard memory + 8 MB in a memory stick.

Currently Sony is offering free shipping on Clies, so it might be that their online store is the cheapest. I haven't seen much in the way of retail discounts on these. Of course there is eBay as well.

The recent news of Matchbook going belly-up makes me lean toward the Sony models even more. How many more Visor-only hardware manufacturers are going to bite the dust? The memory stick may be proprietary, but what a company to have proprietary stuff from! I think the springboard platform does offer a better solution but I just can't get around the feeling that it's becoming commercially non-viable. I'm with olendorf -- I'm waiting to see what HS has to offer this year, and if it's not terribly promising then I will probably go Sony.
    BertBert

It's a great "speaker" and all system and PalmOS sounds come through it. However, for movies and MP3s, all sound can ONLY be played through the headphone jack. One great thing is, ALL sound is then played through the headphones, so I can play a game of Zap! or Galax with sound in class without disturbing anyone.

No, unfortunately, only the 710C comes with one, but 8 MB memoy sticks are pretty cheap, you could get one for about $20.

Well, I got mine from a friend that works for Sony, they get GOOOOOD discounts. Otherwise, check cnet.com shopping, the lowest I've seen for the clie is about $450...so, that's a pretty good price I guess...Good luck!!! Hope this helps...
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    But how does the 610 play sounds for the gmovie player if it has to go through the headphone jack?
    Oh, sorry, I was talking about MP3 sound. Video sound can be played through the speaker, as it does with TealMovie and GMovie. MP3 or audio MUST be played through the headphone jack. The speaker doesn't have an amplifier, so it can't play that kind of audio.
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    Any word on whether the rather spidery (IMO) Clie hi-res fonts have been improved by Sony with the 610 and/or 710 upgrade? Or whether there's anyone who's got a 3rd party application to change the font?

(Yeah -- WordSmith 2.0 came to mind. But I was looking for a clearer font in Datebk4, which would mean changing the system font.)
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Well I have my CLie 610 now and can not get any sound at all fom the speaker while playing Gmovies. I have Gmovie 2.0.1.

Is this supposed to work or do I need Tealmovie?

Thanks
    Well I have my CLie 610 now and can not get any sound at all fom the speaker while playing Gmovies. I have Gmovie 2.0.1.

Is this supposed to work or do I need Tealmovie?

Thanks
    You should be able to soon because Sony is coming out with and Mp3 player attachment for the N610 and S320 actually I think it includes the first clie as well the S300. I am almost certain it will allow you to play audio from GMovie and games as well.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.