Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I went to a VZW store in NYC to check out the Storm. I'm thinking about switching over to it. But they had a bad set up there and now that I hear there is a new upgrade that makes it faster I'd like to play with that.

Just wondering what your thoughts on it are?

Cheers,
    Evan
    I got to play with one the other day. A co-worker dropped hers in my lap and said "how do I use this thing?!" I found it kludgey and cumbersome. You never know whether to tap, double tap, touch, or what. Navigation was extremely difficult. This is a horrible piece of hardware no matter how fast (or slow) it runs.
    ^ interesting. i used one in store and it seemed to work fine for me but i did find it slow (maybe due to being a display?). anyhow, i hope to spend some more time with one.

are you a blackberry user or was that your first time navigating one?
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    They just released a firmware update that may correct some of the speed problems.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It's really not so much a matter of speed, as it's trying to be all things to all people and winds up being nothing to no one. I absolutely agree with David Pogue's NYT article on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    It's really not so much a matter of speed, as it's trying to be all things to all people and winds up being nothing to no one. I absolutely agree with David Pogue's NYT article on this one.
    was that your first time navigating a blackberry or have you truly used them in the past? it's an operating system that is unlike that of palm's or window's.

so we've gone from it not being a matter of speed to a matter of being "all things to all people, being nothing to no one."

funny, RIM's been around for a long time, and quite successful during those times, and obviously something worthwhile to many and not just some one.

but you don't like it. interestingly enough it's sold out at many of my local stores (los angeles). i'd venture to guess that the NYc markets are experiencing the same.

so, tell us, have you owned and operated many Blackberries in the past or was this your first foray? it worked pretty much the same way as my Pearl, Curve, and others, but then again, i'm familiar with the OS which might explain such.

who is david pogue? the next mossberg wannabe?
    It is not the operating system. I'm sure you've missed my saying that the first two times.

I am addressing only the hardware. The hardware is impossible to use, which is why they are being returned at such fast rates.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    was that your first time navigating a blackberry or have you truly used them in the past? it's an operating system that is unlike that of palm's or window's.
    I am very familar with the BB OS, I carry a BB Curve every day to work. My opinion of the Storm is it sucks. The Bold is the ultimate BB right now.

However no BB can compete with a Centro running Chattermail for personal email access (i.e. no BES).
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    Does it matter? if the device has an intuative UI then it shouldn't matter whether you've used similar devices before or not.

funny, RIM's been around for a long time, and quite successful during those times, and obviously something worthwhile to many and not just some one.
    What difference does that make to whether the Storm is good or not. It's their first touch screen device and therefore has to be treated independantly of their previous offerings.

interestingly enough it's sold out at many of my local stores (los angeles). i'd venture to guess that the NYc markets are experiencing the same.
    So what? Lot's of things sell out on release doesn't necessarily make them great products.
    I am in the market for a new phone, and am looking at a Blackberry for the sole reason being that Sprint has decide to get rid of email. For me, having a personal email accoutn is a VERY big thing. With that said though, I Think I will wait a whiole before getting a Storm or Bold. While I enjoy the latest gadgets, I would rather wait a while, and see what the consensus is, rather than buy it and not be happy with it.
    I just played with one at the verizon store while my curve was being fixed. I thought it was nice. It was very slow and I asked one of the sales people there and he came over and showed me that unlike other blackberry devices if you don't close out the program it runs in the background. We closed all the program and beleage me they where all open and it ran better. Still a little slow. I asked him if I could get a deal for my curve and trade up. He said forget it we are sold out.
    Quote Originally Posted by captaindan View Post
    I just played with one at the verizon store while my curve was being fixed. I thought it was nice. It was very slow and I asked one of the sales people there and he came over and showed me that unlike other blackberry devices if you don't close out the program it runs in the background. We closed all the program and beleage me they where all open and it ran better. Still a little slow. I asked him if I could get a deal for my curve and trade up. He said forget it we are sold out.
    It recently had an update... so maybe it will be a bit faster. I'm not a BB fan... just passing along some info... think the update was a couple days ago... more than likely the demo phones won't have that update yet.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    It recently had an update... so maybe it will be a bit faster. I'm not a BB fan... just passing along some info... think the update was a couple days ago... more than likely the demo phones won't have that update yet.

That's what the sales person said. I will have to go back and play a little more.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Does it matter? if the device has an intuative UI then it shouldn't matter whether you've used similar devices before or not.

What difference does that make to whether the Storm is good or not. It's their first touch screen device and therefore has to be treated independantly of their previous offerings.

So what? Lot's of things sell out on release doesn't necessarily make them great products.
    hey, whatever suits you. take care
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    It is not the operating system. I'm sure you've missed my saying that the first two times.

I am addressing only the hardware. The hardware is impossible to use, which is why they are being returned at such fast rates.
    maybe it's impossible for you to use? which might be a by-product of you not having owned/used a blackberry in the past, which is why i asked the first two times which went unanswered.

tell us, at what rates are they being returned? do you have nationwide statistics? i'm curious, that's why i ask.

i still can't find one in town.
    She isn't the only one complaining. There have been many posts in other places about how bad or slow the interface is. Although I remember much less complaints about the hardware. But the interface seems to be failing in people's minds, when it was supposed to be the jewel of this device. I haven't used one so I don't know, but there do seem to be disappointed users out there. Look on Engadget for one.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Start here with the New York Times and keep going.

My favorite quote from that article:

In short, trying to navigate this thing isn’t just an exercise in frustration — it’s a marathon of frustration.

I haven’t found a soul who tried this machine who wasn’t appalled, baffled or both.
    aren't there always people complaining about a device whether it be a blackberry, treo, htc, etc?

like i said previously, i found it to be slow (thinking that it was a in-store display device), but in no way or fashion did i find it an "exercise in frustration" as the NYT article says. to be frank, i dismiss a lot of what the newspaper writers say (i.e., Mossberg) as they're probably less educated and familiar with the devices than some of us here.

again, would love to use one more extensively at some point in time.

ps: did you say you were an avid Blackberry user today or in some time past or are you not an owner of one? tough answer to come by. maybe the NYT writers weren't previous users of one either? who knows, and who cares!

be well
    I read that NYT article and think it's mainly based on the interface and firmware, more so than hardware, except for lack of wifi. Some of those glitches may have been fixed with the last firmware update. RIM and Verizon did act quickly. Much more so than Palm would have.

My understanding is that Pogue is an iFan - and Mosseberg is too. Nothing wrong with that, the iPhone is a game changing platform that I believe makes the entire pda/smartphone market better. I had a Treo 650 and then moved to WM. Overall, I like WM but I just don't like the choices we have in the US for WM devices. I REALLY want screen real estate and thus I am interested in both the iPhone and the Storm. I never really liked the 8830 or the Curve (nothing much different from my Q9c, IMHO) but I picked up the Storm in the store today and for about 10 minutes, I was impressed. I actually like the "keyboard". I can see how folks might get tired of typing on it, but it fit my typing style pretty good - and the suggestions were spot on. It seemed to zip along pretty good and that screen was FANTASTIC. Now I say this as I had just left the Sprint store after playing with the Diamond and the TP. I was just about to order a TP on eBay today and decided to try it one more time at the store. Not going to happen now. I am not going to jump the Sprint ship just yet (have a 3-line family plan and a year on the contract) but I am seriously going to consider the Storm in the near future.

(Disclaimer - I am 49 and have not so great eyesight - never wore glasses but now need a "boost". I do not see me moving to an HTC product over my Q9c. Nice screens, but they are still too little. Good God, why can't they bring the Touch HD to the US asap!!)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast