Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm on day 20 of my 30 day trial with the STORM and it's going back to Verizon in a few days. The only reason I'm not keeping the phone is it's slow. While that may seem to be a rather shallow review of the phone, let me explain what I mean by "slow"...

1. When you select a program to run, it takes 1-3 seconds for the "click" to take effect and 3-5 seconds more for the fastest loading programs to load (like the dialer). Longer for more complex programs (media, web even though it's always preloaded in memory, 3rd party).

2. It can take 2-3 seconds for the blackberry menu to pop up when you hit the blackberry key.

3. When you rotate the device, it used to take up to 20 seconds to rotate the screen. with the .75 update, it now takes 2-10 seconds to rotate the screen. It can still take over 20 seconds if you have more than about 3 programs above the 6 standard background programs running in the background.

4. When you manually dial the phone, there is a 1-2 second delay between screen click and the DTMF tone registering. Sometimes this delay is slow enough to make you think you didn't click the screen right, so you inadvertently click the same digit twice.

5. Scrolling is hit or miss. Sometimes the screen doesn't respond to a swipe at all. The lack of swipe inertia isn't a problem, but the lack of responsiveness impacts usability.

6. It takes the camera 5-10 seconds to start up and easily 3-5 seconds from when the shutter button is depressed until the picture "click" sound registers.

In short, I find myself spending an inordinate amount of time staring at the (admittedly beautiful) screen waiting for something to happen. The slow fade-in/fade-out of the operating system when switching tasks only seems to taunt you further by accentuating an already slow device. This would have been my 3rd blackberry (curve, pearl before). While the OS is reasonably familiar (a significant number of differences to accommodate the touch screen approach), the performance is simply abysmal by comparison.

A few good features:
    - The screen is fantastic - clearly superior to the iPhone's, which is saying something.
    - The size is very nice. Weight a little high, but manageable. Very pocketable device.
    - SureType is pretty slick. The tactile feedback is liked by nearly everyone I let touch the phone. It does have a tendency to slow typing speed, but not appreciably.
    - Battery life is good (not great like most BBs). Better than my iPhone 3G's which I would characterize as fair (or my Omnia's which I would rate poor).

SUMMARY: Intriguing technology, but I wouldn't recommend it to a friend.
    Kupe - I know you had a Moto Q at some point and the Q (and Q9C) has some lag in it too (WM in general has much of the same lag you describe above). Can you compare the two?

Also - I take demo units with a grain of salt - but the Storm seemed to zip along better at the VZW store than the Touch Pro did at Sprint. However, I did not look up a contact and try to use the dial pad on the Storm. Maybe yet another future firmware update will make the Storm more usable in the mainstream.
    Last edited by bubbatex; 12/12/2008 at 10:32 AM.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    I have been a Palm user for more than 10 years and have had the Storm (switched from Centro) for two weeks. There is a lot that is very nice about it. I am not plagued with any of the software lag that others are having, and although the things that are "different" took some getting use to, once things become familiar, they are much better handled.

The keyboard is currently a hit & miss ordeal for me, but I am over exposed to the treo, hardware QWERTY. I am certain that it is more a matter of familiarity and learning exactly where to tap. Proficiency is most likely something very attainable.

The reason I will probably NOT keep the Storm is the lack of a scroll wheel or some other method of moving through text on the screen that doesn't involve precisely placing my fingers in precisely the right spot.

If you want to scroll back to a particular position, you must hover over the current cursor / insertion point and wait for it to turn hollow. Then, you run your finger along the screen and hope you hit the right spot -- or pray because your finger is covering the cursor. To pile onto the frustration, the screen is not always responsive and you can wait a long time for the insertion point to turn hollow, and sometimes it never does. Move to a different spot, move back and hope it works this time.

Selecting blocks of text: They have made a big deal about cut and paste, but the dirty little secret is that selecting the correct block of text is nearly impossible. You have to select the beginning and end at precisely the same time (and hope you tapped in the spot you wanted on both ends).

I just don't know why anyone who actually used this thing would proceed without including some type of cursor movement that didn't involve sliding a fingertip across the screen -- as all other BB products have. They should have looked at the Treo line to understand just because you now have a touch screen doesn't mean that you cannot have a scroll feature. It is maddening that something so inherit to a BB product would be left off this device. I am certain there are those nimble of finger who handle these moves with aplomb, but I will never be one. My stubby finger tips will never be suited to this type of manuevering.

Carol
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Update to above : I finally found a useful tips & tricks thread (@ crackberry) and has found what I was doing incorrectly. My life on the Storm is much better, & it looks, now, to be a keeper. BTW, although I never experienced lag issues, but apparently two Verizon alps are responsible for some lag issues : VZ Navigator and Visual Voice mail. Both can be deleted by going to options|advanced|apps find them in the list. Highlight, BB menu, delete.
    I have also read that Weatherbug runs in the background and sometimes causes lag when it is checking for weather updates (and apparently, you can not turn it off?). Yep, Crackberry is a great place too - one of the "family"!

I am more than likely going to get one and try it out - not porting out of Sprint until I get through 25+ days with it though!
    what i know: if my Storm lagged as Kupe's did, it would be going back to the store not after 20 days but perhaps after 20 hours. that kind of slowness simply doesn't work.

it always baffles me how one person's unit can be plagued but another's (cooneyca) not. after reading Kupe's review i'd never contemplate using one, but Carol's gives me some hope.

as for the trackball, i can understand the frustration especially for other long time blackberry and treo (5 way) users. however, having an iphone (along with my blackberry) has allowed me to become accustomed to using the touchscreen to it's fullest potential. not sure where they'd put a trackball on the Storm as the hardware design seems to be built around allowing for the largest screen possible. give and take i suppose. what is it that everyone raved about when it comes to the iPhone? the large and uninterupted screen, that seems to be what everyone raved about since day one.

peace
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    I know this sounds silly but I can't use the Storm or Iphone because I have long nails (real) and I don't want to cut them down in order to use the touchscreen. My centro screen does respond to my nails I rarely use the stylus. Tough luck for me I guess but I figure I would throw in my two cents..
    Can please someone tell me if it has a card slot? SD mini / micro or otherwise?

Thanks!
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    I know this sounds silly but I can't use the Storm or Iphone because I have long nails (real) and I don't want to cut them down in order to use the touchscreen. My centro screen does respond to my nails I rarely use the stylus. Tough luck for me I guess but I figure I would throw in my two cents..
    This was always my number one complaint about the fruitphone. I didn't have the problem with the Storm because it's not capacative, it's just confused.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    This was always my number one complaint about the fruitphone. I didn't have the problem with the Storm because it's not capacative, it's just confused.
    You were able to type on it with your nails?

Interesting article I found...
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28182280...playmode/1098/
    Last edited by Felicia; 12/19/2008 at 02:56 PM.
    I couldn't type on the Storm period. I never hit what I wanted with finger or nail.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    I couldn't type on the Storm period. I never hit what I wanted with finger or nail.
    LOL....

You were probably ready to use an ice pic after all of that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    Can please someone tell me if it has a card slot? SD mini / micro or otherwise?

Thanks!
    Yes, and it comes with a 8gb installed - microSD.
    I have had a Storm now for 5 days and I have to say it is growing on me. I have none of the problems Kupe had (except with the camera - I do agree that it takes a little long to load and then the time between clicking the shutter and taking the picture is too long as he mentioned) - it does lag a little between portrait and landscape a bit longer than I would like, but that's about all I have to really complain about so far. There are some differences to get used to - but I can type on it now as well as I can on my Q9c. And the portrait mode with SureType is really slick - I actually like SureType. It probably takes a little longer to find a contact to make a call to than I can on my Q9c, but I am willing to hit a few extra keys for that screen. Man, the screen is sweet!

But, I still have 3 weeks to test and it might end up frustrating me as I work with it, but so far it is pretty darn good.
    Are you using it with or without the firmware update? I can't help but think the update can only help the device and solve some of people's complaints. Usually RIM is good with updates.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Are you using it with or without the firmware update? I can't help but think the update can only help the device and solve some of people's complaints. Usually RIM is good with updates.
    Even though I bought mine last week - it still had the original .65 OS on it. I dl'ed all the new stuff and updated right away. Yes, I think .75 does work much better - and there is a .83 that has leaked out that is supposed to be "approved" soon that apparently makes the camera/video problems go away.

Yes, I am impressed with the quickness of the updates - especially for Verizon. Sprint apparently lags in this area on the BB's they carry.
    I have carried a RIM device for more than 6 years. Recently changed jobs so I am no longer required to carry a blackberry.

Have always been a fan of the treo's so when it came time i purchased a treo 800 to replace the blackberry. I can't stand the new storm
    Quote Originally Posted by osidak View Post
    I can't stand the new storm
    You don't say why - was it because you had it forced on you?
    I was really excited about getting the Storm. I started reading Storm forums, and eagerly anticipating its release.

Then I read the Vodafone feedback and was less excited, but the U.S. users had stated that our model would be released with a newer OS and would not have the issues the Vodafone users had.
    They were wrong.
    I kept reading and reading, and my excitement left altogether.

Of course as with anything there are people who love it and people who hate it. I've read that some people have absolutely no problems whatsoever.

I've also read about:

People putting business cards in the battery compartment or loosening
    screws in order to make the screen type better.

The screen wobbles and users are getting dust under the screen that they can't get out.

The buttons falling off if storing it in a case.

The camera is really bad as well as the accelerometer, and a lot of people seemed to be having email trouble.

Daily freezes and battery pulls.

If they ever get the major problems worked out, I'd still like to get one, but for me, right now isn't the time.

If they never make new hardware that stops the screen making the clicking sound, or at least make it so that the sound can be disabled, I'll never get one.
    Yes, I know the whole screen is a button which is why it makes the sound, but I can just see myself in a meeting responding to a page or email...click...click...click...click...click.
    After two weeks, I took mine back - but not because of the hardware or the OS - but it was not a good phone. The earpiece was crap and the outgoing sounded like you had a sock over the mic. I was a little worried about the longevity of the screen staying put and the dust thing is a good concern, but overall I liked the Storm a lot. The screen was great. I would definitely wait a few more months to see if the hardware improves (Crackberry "experts" think the same on the forums) and the next version of the OS should fix a lot too. I have an iPhone now that is probably going back and I'll sit tight to see what comes out in the next 4-6 months.

But if the Storm's phone was better, I would have certainly kept it.

Also - I did not notice the slight click sound after a day or two - I did turn off the click audio sound (they have that too) immediately.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast