Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I just listened to the Round Robin podcast and there is a lot of pros and cons for each phone. I was surprised how each editor took a very subjective view towards theirs/and the others phones.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Well it seems everything had been said on this round.
    I think most people stick to whatever they already set thir minds.
    The positive is we all learn something from other devices.
    My curiosity is BB is going to stick to the form factor that distinguishes all bb phones, or is The storm a sign of he direction the will go in the future?
    Quote Originally Posted by devonair View Post
    I've been with Sprint for 9 years, and have always been an early adopter for their speed-bump upgrades (1xRTT, EV-DO Rev 0, EV-DO Rev A)... and I'm spoiled by having decent data speeds pretty much everywhere I go. If the Bold showed up on Sprint tomorrow, though, I'd be all over it...
    Like Palm, Sprint has shot themselves in the foot with bad decisions and will be lucky to survive much longer. Sprint doesn't have good smartphone choices, either, unless you are attracted to the Touch Pro and (soon) the Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguino1 View Post
    Well it seems everything had been said on this round.
    I think most people stick to whatever they already set thir minds.
    The positive is we all learn something from other devices.
    My curiosity is BB is going to stick to the form factor that distinguishes all bb phones, or is The storm a sign of he direction the will go in the future?
    I agree. Most people just want confirmation that whatever they've chosen is the best. I've been a WinMo user for a long time but if Sprint got the Bold I'd definitely give it a try. The only thing I don't like about the Blackberry is the extra cost of their plan. I don't think BB will switch completely to a 'Storm' style design. There will always be a need for the traditional BB form factor, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo-Treo View Post
    Like Palm, Sprint has shot themselves in the foot with bad decisions and will be lucky to survive much longer. Sprint doesn't have good smartphone choices, either, unless you are attracted to the Touch Pro and (soon) the Treo Pro.
    I think Sprint will be around a lot longer than most people think they will, despite their poor choices. Maybe not in the traditional mobile carrier that they have been but they'll innovate and find their market.
    I think you're wrong in that they don't have good choices in smartphones. They've had most of the same phones as everyone else and have both kinds of users covered with the Touch Pro and Treo Pro (800w for now). If either of those aren't what you're looking for they have the Touch Diamond, the Curve, and several "dumbphone" that are much cheaper than what we all typically use. What more are you expecting them to have?
    Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    What more are you expecting them to have?
    Well, let's see, while people are chatting up the iPhone, G1, Bold, Storm, Treo Pro, Fuze ... you look at Sprint's inventory and the top-end phone is the... Mogul (introduced 6/07)?! Even the Touch Pro is out-of-stock. Their smartphone line-up is all last generation stuff. Their big Xmas special is the Centro (introduced 9/07).

Sprint has been bleeding customers at an alarming rate for a year. Their leadership is frozen and ineffective. At this point in our economy the weak businesses are being thinned from the herd rapidly and Sprint is limping along, looking over their shoulder....

They could survive. The phone industry is crazy. The world economy is in a major transition. Who knows? It will be interesting to see what we are talking about a year from now.
    Well, let's see, while people are chatting up the iPhone, G1, Bold, Storm, Treo Pro, Fuze ... you look at Sprint's inventory and the top-end phone is the... Mogul (introduced 6/07)?! Even the Touch Pro is out-of-stock. Their smartphone line-up is all last generation stuff. Their big Xmas special is the Centro (introduced 9/07).
    Sprint has the Treo Pro coming. CDMA versions always take longer to arrive than their GSM counterparts. Sprint has had the Touch Diamond and Pro out for a while now. How is the Mogul their top end phone when there is the Touch Diamond, Pro, 800w, and Curve? Where are you seeing the Touch Pro is out of stock? Its not on their website. I was just in my local Sprint store yesterday and they had plenty in stock. I've not heard one thing about Sprint being out of stock, maybe in your local area. I would hardly call all those phones I just named last generation stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    I've not heard one thing about Sprint being out of stock, maybe in your local area. I would hardly call all those phones I just named last generation stuff.
    Checked 3 ZIP codes on the west coast, all said out-of-stock for the Touch Pro.

Mogul --> their premium phone based on price
    Touch Diamond --> Touch Pro (out-of-stock)
    800w --> Treo Pro (not available)
    Curve --> Bold (not available)

I consider the older phones on the left last generation. Whatever the reason (CDMA, marketing direction, etc.) Sprint's smartphone selection does not excite me. YMMV.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    The Round robiin review it's a great idea, to learn about the top devices. I'm very pleased with the high qualitity of all the reviewers, but I give the top place to Jennifer. (so far) Thanks.
    The reviewer styles are different but they are all interesting. I think a good prize instead of phones would be having our own expert at our beckon call for a day!
    I like the Bold.
    The reviewer styles are different but they are all interesting. I think a good prize instead of phones would be having our own expert at our beckon call for a day!
    I'd rather have the phone. Who needs an expert when we have the forums?
    Has anyone kept up with this Winmo program for sirius and XM satellite radio? The guys at geekstoolbox are developing a multi-platform "out of the park" program.
    "To learn to succeed, you must first learn to fail."
    ~Michael Jordan

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
    ~Author-Sir Colin Spedding

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. ~John Kenneth Galbraith, Money: Whence It Came, Where It Went"

Finally upgraded and dual-booting HP TouchPad running CM9. Look out world, here I come, ready or not! Now rocking the cancelled AT&T Pre3 no thanks to HP!
    I enjoyed the first round robin podcast and cant wait for the second.

I'm after a iphone 3G but I also have interest in the bold as well.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I'm not a BB peson, I feel that the BB's are for corporate people and I am not. However, so far I see that the Bold is getting the best reviews as an overall good phone, stable, good construction, good performance, specially on the email department. small but nice screen. For all the other devices the reviewers are saying "VERY GOOd BUT..."

I can't wait for Jennifer's next round.
    To the BlackBerry people, this info will be nothing new, but I think it was a good overview for the Treo people. I miss my Palm even though I love my BB!
    When is the next round robin podcast part 2?
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Before you get started with the G1 I would like to ask Jennifer a few more questions:

1- What hardware features from the Bold you would like to have in the Treo

2- What functionality in BB OS are you missing in the Treo

3- What apps in the Bold would be great in the Treo?

4- What form factor/looks or design feature from the Bold are missing in the Treo?
    I just checked out the Bold today while I was Christmas shopping and, oh my, I likey!
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguino1 View Post
    Before you get started with the G1 I would like to ask Jennifer a few more questions:

1- What hardware features from the Bold you would like to have in the Treo

2- What functionality in BB OS are you missing in the Treo

3- What apps in the Bold would be great in the Treo?

4- What form factor/looks or design feature from the Bold are missing in the Treo?
    1- I sure wouldn't mind having the fast trackball on the Treo.

2- I just wish the Treo had a default browser as great as the BB browser.

3- I wish there was a Nintaii game for the Treo.

4- The Treo's screen would look better if it were as bright and crisp as the Bold's. Getting the battery cover off the Bold was much easier than it is with the Treo Pro. Other than that, I think the Treo Pro looks as good as the Bold.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    i am a G1 user, and have played with my friends BB Bold a few weeks back.. I must say both are solid devices, though i prefer G1 for the bigger touch screen while the bb bold is always good for typing and solid build.. really a tough choice to make!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast