Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Wow, if they'd released that 6 months ago I'd never have left.
    I am strongly considering this phone- any reviews, comparisons (i am a verizon customer- options include the blackberry storm and centro) would be greatly appreciated. I am a long time Palm OS user (currently with treo 700p). Which OS would be easier to transition to?
    Found this on the Samsung website, under "News" 4th article down.

This confirms that the phone will be available IN store on Dec 1, but it is available online and via phone now.
    I will be giving this one a very close look. It is the i770 renamed, and I always hated the look thinking it had too much a resemblance to my old high school calculator and it never seemes right to me. In reading the comparisons though it seems like a strong contender if it feels durrable I solid in-hand, I may go for it.

The dimentions between the Saga + 800w are about the same except the Saga is half the width of the 800w....BIG plus!!!!

The Saga is apparently GSM and CDMA ready out of the box, it looks like it can handle any data-type and carrier going...big plus if a change is in your future!! (maybe not for me, but it is an option)

The internal memory in the Saga is 256 MB RAM / 128 MB ROM
    800w is 128 MB RAM / 256 MB ROM
    take that as you will, depending on importance.

Other than that, the only major difference I can find is that the Saga's camera has night mode (how good??? Who knows).

Looks like it is worth a look, but my main worry is jumping to this one and then the Diamond, 800w, Touch Pro, and Omnia all coming out in the relatively near future!!!
    Last edited by syrguy1969; 11/14/2008 at 03:49 PM.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post

Looks like it is worth a look, but my main worry is jumping to this one and then the Diamond, 800w, Touch Pro, and Omnia all comming out in the relatively near future!!!
    Could not agree more! I also am not a fan of the blue toy look, but I have been stuck with a 700W for far to long I think I am gonna jump ship and give it a shot!
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I wonder if Sprint will get it. Funny that this is probably the first time ever I've felt "the other guys" had a potentially better phone when I'm not with Verizon any longer...I'm very used to being a Verizon customer and muttering about all the awesome Sprint phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    Other than that, the only major difference I can find is that the Saga's camera has night mode (how good??? Who knows).
    Don't forget GPS.

I'm real curious about that one since Verizon notoriously locks it down to VZW Navigator. But does it work with Windows Live? Does it work off-network along with GSM? Standalone or assisted?

And no, Sprint probably won't get this, which is unfortunate. They're going to get the Treo Pro, which is comparable sans GSM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Don't forget GPS.

I'm real curious about that one since Verizon notoriously locks it down to VZW Navigator. But does it work with Windows Live? Does it work off-network along with GSM? Standalone or assisted?

And no, Sprint probably won't get this, which is unfortunate. They're going to get the Treo Pro, which is comparable sans GSM.
    From the history of things, I would be VERY surprised if Verizon did not lock down GPS...remember, it's extra money to them.

I have a nice BB with my work, and Verizon has the GPS locked down tight.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Id be curious to see side by side pics of this and the 800w as well as any comparisons of someone who has both to test
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Now that's a phone!
    I joined the cellphone thing late: razr v3m->treo 800w
    I was actually talking to a friend at the local VZW atore, and I mentioned the GPS thing as well. He admitted he didn't know either, but he didn't see VZW allowing this phone's GPS to work when they block other devices!!

*But....he also admitted he could envision the forums online cracking the GPS on PPCs pretty quick!!

Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    is there a Samsung saga forum?
    Id really like to read up on this.
    It may be my treo killer.
    Im tired of waiting for palm to release soso products.
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142 View Post
    is there a Samsung saga forum?
    Id really like to read up on this.
    It may be my treo killer.
    Im tired of waiting for palm to release soso products.
    I think this is the Saga forum at this point. Maybe after a few more are purchased and people start posting more a forum may be started.

I will have to play around with this for a bit when it hits the stores, but even I (being a die-hard 700wx user + supporter) will admit that if this device is sturdy enough and does what it advertizes, Palm may have stiff competition!!

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    unboxing.

Also, on howardforums there is a whole thread on the this, the omnia, touch, etc. (sorry if I am taking people out of this forum;-)

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=297

While this is a little bit longer than the treo, the keys look real good, and it has everything the treo has as well. Plus worldphone. Also, vzw has unlocked gps for the new storm, so this might have an unlocked gps as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    Also, vzw has unlocked gps for the new storm, so this might have an unlocked gps as well!
    Dude!!!! Where did you see this little tid-bit???? If they release the Saga with GPS unlocked, I may be sold (pending durability/strength & in hand testing of course....OK....MOSTLY sold)!!!!!

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    Supposedly, the storm will have unlocked gps. It is being released on Fri, so we should find out for sure. aGPS will be enabled for vznav, but regular gps supposed to be available for everything else.

If this is the case, it might be the start of a new trend for vzw phones. This info is coming from crackberry and hofo forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    Supposedly, the storm will have unlocked gps. It is being released on Fri, so we should find out for sure. aGPS will be enabled for vznav, but regular gps supposed to be available for everything else.

If this is the case, it might be the start of a new trend for vzw phones. This info is coming from crackberry and hofo forums.
    That will be very interesting to keep track of. I have no interest in the Storm, but as you mentioned....it may be the start of a trend (as much as I doubt VZW would be that giving)!! Thanks for the info!!

P.S. I am thinking that even if the GPS on the Saga is locked, it won't be long before a forum cracks it (flashing the ROM maybe?)!!
    Last edited by syrguy1969; 11/18/2008 at 02:05 PM.

it doesn't appear to have a touchscreen....at least i can't see it anywhere. It has a stupid "optical wheel". That's one huge reason I don't like BB. I don't want to use some cheap ball to navagate. I'd rather have touch screen.

Between that and the fact that verizon's cheapest data package starts at 80$ is a huge reason why I stay with my sprint. 80$ a month for a phone is ridiculous.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    All WM Pro phones have touch screens and the i770 is no exception according to the specs on Verizon's web site (not always to be trusted, I know, but WM6 Pro is designed for touch screen devices). Edit: found it:

Samsung Saga™
    The Saga is a smartphone that features a 2.55" advanced touch screen and a full QWERTY keyboard that provides business professionals with an easy way to send e-mail, text and instant messages.

from Samsung web site, linked from the Engadget post. So you're good for a touch screen.

Verizon's data pricing for devices of this nature includes 450 voice minutes for the price you quoted. Yes, they're expensive, but it's not $80 for data and then voice on top of that.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast